Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I find SABNZBD all the sudden downloading something I've had for FIVE YEARS, is that likely some quality bump that NZBDrone (which I recently switched to) has dictated?

I just caught SABNZBD downloading 5 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If you buy a block account as a backup that has both a US and EU server, should you add both as separate backup servers?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Feenix posted:

If I find SABNZBD all the sudden downloading something I've had for FIVE YEARS, is that likely some quality bump that NZBDrone (which I recently switched to) has dictated?

I just caught SABNZBD downloading 5 episodes.
Are they labelled "proper"?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hogburto posted:

Are they labelled "proper"?

No. They do have Blu Ray in the filename. And they are from season one, and I don't already have the eps. I deleted them years ago.

Anyway, I turned off "Monitored" in NZBDrone because it made it sound like it would stop looking, but it attempted to download another so I just (temporarily) deleted the show from NZBdrone's list.

*shrug*

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

FateFree posted:

If you buy a block account as a backup that has both a US and EU server, should you add both as separate backup servers?

Yes, that makes sense sometimes.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Does NZBDrone support a catch all folder? I just want it to leave everything where SABnzbd downloads it without series or season folders, but still update the status of the shows within drone.

elwood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Does NZBDrone support torrents as a backup for acquiring content the way CouchPotato does?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

elwood posted:

Does NZBDrone support a catch all folder? I just want it to leave everything where SABnzbd downloads it without series or season folders, but still update the status of the shows within drone.

Why are you averse to having your shows organized?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Does NZBDrone support torrents as a backup for acquiring content the way CouchPotato does?

Nope

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

kri kri posted:

Why are you averse to having your shows organized?

I delete most of the stuff after watching it and the files I do keep, I put on external drives once a month or so.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

elwood posted:

I delete most of the stuff after watching it and the files I do keep, I put on external drives once a month or so.

Something I did before I moved to XBMC was have a saved search of the base directory that filtered for files over 10MB. With that, who cares what folders everything is in?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Is anyone else on supernews having trouble? I keep getting

(10061, "Failed to connect: (10060, 'timed out') -1@news.supernews.com:563")

No matter what I do or port I try yet I can telnet into the supernews NNTP service and it works fine :confused:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
There is a very public OpenSSL exploit (google heartbleed), some hosting providers are redeploying it and have to redo certs/etc. Tweaknews and Supernews were both down last night amongst many others. The same thing is going on in many other industries today, you'll notice a lot of small downtimes and maintenance periods.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ah I was worried it might be heartbleed related but I assumed turning off SSL would get around it, well good to know, thanks :tipshat:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So just as I finally get sickbeard to work well, everyone starts raving and NZBdrone...

I'm more interested to hear from the people who are saying that NZBget is better at backfilling from backup servers and completing downloads. My setup of Supernews +Tweak +newsgroupdirect +blocknews, which has been working flawlessy for almost a year grabbing anything from 2 minutes old to 4 years old, has suddenly been getting the occasional incompletetion for random stuff.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
SAB does kill me when it comes to having multiple backup servers and no ability to prioritize them (to make the less expensive servers get attempted before the more expensive ones).

I don't care for NZBdrone anyway. I'd probably need to follow a tutorial to set it up even though I didn't need to with Sickbeard.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They are both fine but I don't think NZBDrone can be any simpler, it doesn't really have the post processing related setup that Sickbeard does either. In terms of functionality I think NZBDrone is superior, it does more and tends to do it faster with a better interface but they both get the job done. It also has very active development. I think the bigger question is how many indexers a person has, the built in Sickbeard index is pretty nice for people who don't have accounts at various sites. NZBDrone has no built-in index, it only supports newznab sites and Wombles.

nzbget vs sab is more straight forward, they are very close in terms of functionality and SAB has a better UI. I've personally had better luck with backup completions on nzbget but other than that I still prefer SAB. Looking at the settings menu in nzbget makes me want to start drinking.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

FXer posted:

Astraweb has been blowing rear end for me lately so I'd stay away from them, however tweaknews as my blockfill has been working very well

hayden. posted:

Also agreed that Astraweb has been really lovely recently. I keep it out of laziness and have Blocknews for times when I want something right now and Astraweb is slow.
I asked someone I know who uses Astraweb to try downloading a few of the items that weren't completing for me, and they all downloaded fine. I ended up buying the $15/2months of Astraweb before seeing these posts and I managed to download everything, but I probably won't be keeping it if it's as bad as you say. I'm actually getting better speeds on Astraweb(~6.4Mb/s) than I do for NewsDemon(~5.8Mb/s).

slomomofo posted:

Not sure what distros you download but I have the same arrangement and haven't had to use the block in quite a while (months).

One of my HDDs died and I was trying to download a bunch of older things. Most of them were failing despite being well within retention, and a lot of them were recent reposts anyway. But before that I wasn't having any problems either and I'm hoping it was some sort of temporary issue.

Thanks for the TweakNews suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for sales.

FXer
Jul 13, 2004

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood!
All depends on what you're downloading I guess, especially with movies it appears Astraweb is extremely fast at honoring takedown requests, whereas the european companies seem far less affected and/or concerned

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I use three backbones and I get failures all over the place. It's not just Astraweb, the same techniques that Sickbeard uses to snatch is also employed to issue takedown notices. Astraweb just uses an automated system as far as I've heard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Some of us should really get together and figure out what is going on, because, as I've mentioned, I very rarely get a failure.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Some of us should really get together and figure out what is going on, because, as I've mentioned, I very rarely get a failure.

Different people downloading different things probably. What else could it be?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Different people downloading different things probably. What else could it be?

Well, yes, but figuring out what those things are, and if some providers are better for different things.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Then a server comparison tester is in order (as opposed to just endless meaningless complaining)?
I'd let a reputable goon test with my Newsdemon account on the weekend(s). I forget what server family that is but the rest of mine are per GB blocks I try to use sparingly.

Although I have no stake in this other than reducing complaints since it "works on my machine" as they say.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 13, 2014

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When I was on astraweb and had an incomplete I bought a block account from every other back end provider to test. It was incomplete on all of them, just less so on some compared to others.

Buy a block account from every backend and deal with it is the best thing you can do. Its not like block accounts deprecate in value as time goes by.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For what its worth I'm on astraweb too, and don't remember the last time I got a non-password related failure

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Couchpotato is suddenly being an rear end to me and wont let me log in. So I first edited settings.conf to have no entries on User and Password restarted process and I get the same result. Then I deleted settings.conf entirely and I still end up at the login page.

What the poo poo is going on? How do I bypass this?

Edit: Wrong spot, there was two instances of settings.conf, the one mattered and the one was improperly generated or something.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 13, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Man I just got a failed download AGAIN on something that cant be THAT popular. I'm gonna be sending some PM to choice people to see if they have the same issue.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

Man I just got a failed download AGAIN on something that cant be THAT popular. I'm gonna be sending some PM to choice people to see if they have the same issue.

What are you using for main and backups?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I sometimes come across certain series that seem really diligent about take-down requests. Bob's Burgers is an example. Naturally I only know this because I look at the take-down requests.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ever since I switched to NZBDrone, I get it redownloading stuff (recent, or old as poo poo) in better formats/ Propers, etc. I thought I had it set up to not do that, but maybe I missed something?

Advice?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Feenix posted:

Ever since I switched to NZBDrone, I get it redownloading stuff (recent, or old as poo poo) in better formats/ Propers, etc. I thought I had it set up to not do that, but maybe I missed something?

Advice?

You need to set the old seasons of shows to unmonitored, and also make sure you have it set to not download deleted files if that's something you want.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The quality profile might mismatch too, check if stuff is sitting in Cutoff Unmet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NZBGet is great but downloads are failing now with: "Cancelling hanging download". I've googled but not found anything. Any thoughts?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So nzbdrone updated and now it won't let me download different TV shows to the same folder. Is there any way to have nzbdrone just grab the nzbs and let SAB sort them, or am I going to have to try Sickbeard again? (Can Sickbeard even do this?) I can't find a way do it

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2014

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

So nzbdrone updated and now it won't let me download different TV shows to the same folder. Is there any way to have nzbdrone just grab the nzbs and let SAB sort them, or am I going to have to try Sickbeard again? (Can Sickbeard even do this?) I can't find a way do it

You could try going on their IRC channel (they have a link to a web client on the site) and asking markus101 if he knows. He is one of the devs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry for dumb questions but it seems relevant to the moment...
if I have NZBDrone running, and I hit update, it takes me to the download page. What do I need to do to download and install it as seamlessly as possible?
(on OSX if that matters)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Download it, extract it over your existing folder.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Have you considered using a library based player like XBMC? I recall last time this came up you said you were using start menu shortcuts and whatnot to play files. XBMC has built in recently added functionality so you can always know whats been added and many skins support in-progress tracking so if you stop something halfway you can pick up there later on. It takes a bit of adjustment but once you're up and running its fantastic, I don't think I'd ever go back.

Many of the downloaders frown on putting everything into a big directory due to stuff like parsing difficulties so your use case is a bit of a square peg, round hole thing for some of them I would imagine. Anyways just food for thought, if it works for you then fair enough but I wasn't sure if you were aware there are alternatives which might still fill your needs. If you do decide to check it out theres a big XBMC thread in IYG and a bunch of us are always around for help.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

XBMC has built in recently added functionality so you can always know whats been added and many skins support in-progress tracking so if you stop something halfway you can pick up there later on.

This is how I watch stuff 90% of the time in Aeon Nox. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

nzbdrone won't let me download different TV shows to the same folder

I know I posted this suggestion before, but if you're looking to be able to pick and choose your shows in a single folder view and have win 7+ I used to have a saved search like this:

It takes 30 seconds to set up, and then who cares what folder structure nzbdrone downloads it to?

The Gunslinger posted:

Have you considered using a library based player like XBMC?

Once the girlfriend moved in, I had to take the WAF into account and that's why I moved to XBMC. Once it's set up you don't have to mess with anything, but as with most of these apps you end up spending a ton of time tinkering (if you're so inclined).