Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

This guy did a pretty solid job pasting Darkside Chronicles graphics together into a faithful remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I was always under the impression that RE2 on the GameCube was an HD remaster, but apparently it was a direct port from the PS1.

That's actually really upsetting. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Remake RE2 with more aggressive monsters, but somehow give it RE4's upgrade system and a slightly less superhuman version of RE6's combo/counter system. Include a remake of RE3 as an unlock when you beat at least one side B game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
RE:R was prettn, but I'd kill for an RE4 port for 3DS, if that's even possible.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lotish posted:

Remake RE2 with more aggressive monsters, but somehow give it RE4's upgrade system and a slightly less superhuman version of RE6's combo/counter system. Include a remake of RE3 as an unlock when you beat at least one side B game.

This would be terrible, but I'm sure that if anything remotely like a Resident Evil 2 remake ever happened, it would be that, and I would still buy it and play the poo poo out of it.

The video of the RE2 UDK remake is amazing though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some random group is already working on an HD remake by themselves, or at least attempting to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3f4j44wAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgwka5m7Gxw

Their website is pretty bad though.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mr X is/was my favourite villain in the series.

X punching through the wall on scenario B is still my most poo poo-my-pants moment in gaming.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would love to suplex one of those giant lickers.

Also I don't care which of these fan projects finishes updating Resident Evil 2, I am so loving on board when it gets released.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lotish posted:

Sooooo take the counter idea from REmake and have upgrades similar to what we saw in RE5 instead of RE4? I mean, I love me some Merchant but I think that would just cheapen the atmosphere of RE2. That and I've always found that the game is short enough that it has a logical progression of when you start using your more powerful weapons and when it is easier to just run past enemies.

Granted as much as I love laying combos on enemies in RE5 I think if they just used the same counters that are featured in Darkside Chronicles then that will be more than enough seeing as Leon and Claire are not supposed to be trained at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only RE2 fan project I give a drat about is the group who's currently rebuilding RE1.5 from the beta and plans to release it as a finished game. It sucks those guys apparently live like hermits and only pop out every 6 months to say "yo we did a thing check it" on YouTube.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The only RE2 fan project I give a drat about is the group who's currently rebuilding RE1.5 from the beta and plans to release it as a finished game. It sucks those guys apparently live like hermits and only pop out every 6 months to say "yo we did a thing check it" on YouTube.

Yeah but the updates are awesome when they do happen at least. That Battle Arena proof of concept with RE4 aiming. :allears:

I think the RE 1.5 project interests me more than any new RE game at this point.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

And only charge 10 bucks.

Seriously, one remake is work enough, you want 2 for the price of one?

And I only speak for myself here, but I don't an RE2 remake with anything from the later games, give me a traditional RE game that looks prettier.

And fan project isn't going to go anywhere, he's gonna run into a wall eventually with certain locations and monsters, he's also gonna have to make his own assets at this point or even animations for the stuff you didn't do or visit in Darkside.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

And only charge 10 bucks.

Seriously, one remake is work enough, you want 2 for the price of one?

This is Capcom, I'm sure they wouldn't charge full price for a halfbaked remaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I would pay full price for an upscaled port of 3ds mercenaries for the pc as long as it had online. Wouldn't even care if it didn't add any new content. Capcom proved it was possible with revelations so why does this not exist already drat it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Policenaut posted:

If they gave constant progress updates Capcom would can it once it got close enough to being "done". If they instead rarely give progress updates and then just release it one day out of the blue it'll get rehosted in a million places by other people even if Capcom sends the group themselves a C&D. Being completely open about your fan project is never a good idea.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

If they gave constant progress updates Capcom would can it once it got close enough to being "done". If they instead rarely give progress updates and then just release it one day out of the blue it'll get rehosted in a million places by other people even if Capcom sends the group themselves a C&D. Being completely open about your fan project is never a good idea.

There should be a list of all the good things fans tried to make that were C&D'd by rear end in a top hat executives

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Isn't that what happened with the Streets of Rage Remake?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Alteisen posted:

Isn't that what happened with the Streets of Rage Remake?

I think so. I'd never heard about the Streets of Rage Remake until Sega sent the C&D, but that could just be because game journos didn't care until it became a story.

Excels posted:

There should be a list of all the good things fans tried to make that were C&D'd by rear end in a top hat executives

Every time I think about Chrono Resurrection I get super bummed. And then I go listen to their Corridors of Time remix on loop for like an hour.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Even Nintendo has gotten kind of ridiculous about it these last few years. They C&D'd a mod group for Brawl+ I believe, even though it was mostly just new skins and outfits at the time.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Every time I think about Chrono Resurrection I get super bummed. And then I go listen to their Corridors of Time remix on loop for like an hour.

This is a really, really good remix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The entire reason Chrono Resurrection got C&Ded is that they intended to use it as a selling point for the engine they were creating IIRC. Rather than a fan-work it was a plan to use S-E's IP to promote their own work. It wasn't even a full remake of the game! They were intending to recreate scenes from the game and that was it. From what I recall they had 10 scenes planned and that was about it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 26, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bidforpower (the game) was a thing years ago and it seems to be working. I thought the game got scrapped.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Finally getting through the older games.

Didn't really like the REMake, oddly enough almost entirely off of the "story". Wandering around the Mansion felt kind of boring because it was entirely a key hunt until the end. After I found Rebecca things got a bit better because I suddenly had people running around helping me, but it really didn't pick up until the Wesker stuff. I knew Jill had more interactions with Barry upfront, which would have probably made it more interesting, but I wanted to keep it canon!

Of course all future games never mention who actually did the heavy lifting in the Mansion, Barry comes back over Rebecca, and most of the Chris/Wesker rivalry came from Code Veronica. I don't even think Wesker mentions Chris doing anything in the Mansion in Code Veronica. Not quite sure why Chris is considered canon over Jill at all. If I ever go through the old games again, I'll probably check out Jills storyline and have a much better time of things.

2 was great. The puzzles felt more contained then the Mansion ones, which I suppose makes sense as they couldn't utilize backtracking as much.

Didn't like Nemesis. Partially because of the Nemesis, partially because it didn't serve any purpose outside of "being another Resident Evil game.". 2 introduced Claire/Leon, made sure you realized how evil Umbrella really was p2, and introduced a threat. 3 uh let you know that look man, these Umbrella guys are real bad, and I guess letting you know how Jill got out of the city. C:V suffered a similar issue, but it at least set the stage for setting up Wesker as a major background villain, which helped them in 4/5.

Zero was great in terms of gameplay, but not something I had any desire to finish. It felt even more pointless then 3 did.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don't think that Chris' game is ever explicitly stated as canon over Jill's. I think her story is better anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Later games pretty much explicitly assume both are canon since Rebecca survives to file a report on Billy and Barry potentially shows up and both Jill and Chris seem to have had their adventures. You just assume that they divided up the lifting and split up or something.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I recall reading somewhere years ago that both Jill's scenario and Chris's scenario are considered canon, despite being mutually exclusive at a few points. Capcom's official stance on the subject seems to be "just don't think about it too much."

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I still think Nemesis is a really cool final boss, he feels like he has weight to him, not just some floaty mass of lowres polygons (and he's one of my favorite dudes to play as in UMVC3).

And for a lot of people, that rasping "STAAAAAARS!!!" is/was pure nightmare fuel.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So the guy that makes those ridiculous THANKS Youtube videos released a new one a couple days ago. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ARK2cm-M4

How many levers does it take to fly this thingSEVENTY THOUSAND

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

My favorite bit from one of his videos is where Chris is like "For a world without fear... no, it's not worth it."

He is a godlike sound mixer though seriously

Also, to that poster talking about Sherry being sexualized

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

abagofcheetos posted:

So the guy that makes those ridiculous THANKS Youtube videos released a new one a couple days ago. It's pretty great.

I was hoping and mentally predicting that Leon would say "And I lost over 70,000 people because of HELENA!" to fit with the blame game Chris started. Overall though, I love this guy and am glad he's still doing stuff :unsmith:

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Backhand posted:

Yeah, I recall reading somewhere years ago that both Jill's scenario and Chris's scenario are considered canon, despite being mutually exclusive at a few points. Capcom's official stance on the subject seems to be "just don't think about it too much."

It's the same with RE2, a lot of people say Claire A/Leon B is canon, but it's actually a mix of elements between both. The former combination has more relevant stuff, is more internally consistent and is the better narrative though.

I actually prefer Chris's campaign in the first game, less inventory space isn't much of an issue if you know what you have to do but in Jill's campaign the lock pick, grenade launcher, less and weaker enemies and Barry letting you skip certain puzzles make the game kind of boring.

Though I haven't played the remake in ages, as far as I remember they did try to make both characters a bit more even compared to the original. Probably because they had an actual difficulty selection besides Chris = Hard, Jill = Easy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

abagofcheetos posted:

I have laughed like an idiot at every single thing this guy makes. They're actually pretty catchy.

Best part has gotta be Piers looking over after 'I lost all my men because of Piers!'. Chris is just a drunk a-hole.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always thought Leon A/Claire B was the canon story. Shows what I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always thought Leon A/Claire B was the canon story. Shows what I know.

Even before RE6 basically solidified it, Claire A/Leon B just kind of makes more sense.

Claire A has her and Sherry going up against Sherry's corrupted father and introduces the G-Virus Cure. Meanwhile Leon B ends with the mysterious Totally Not Ada woman coming back to safe Leon by throwing him a rocket launcher. If you do it the opposite way things just flow a little less smoothly.

Since Sherry got her magic G-Virus powers in RE6 though, at very least that much of the story happened.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
It's just little things from Leon A/Claire B that count, Leon's and Ada's confrontation about her being an Umbrella spy (Though her Leon B "death" is the canon one.) or Sherry actually meeting her mother before she dies. As far as I know Leon meeting Kendo (The gun shop dude) and Marvin is also the canon version, though that doesn't really matter anyway.

For what it's worth, Claire A/Leon B can be concidered the definite canon if you want, (It's a bit harder with the first game's scenarios.) it's also the version the director prefers but there's nothing preventing Capcom from still referencing Leon A/Claire B exclusive events, officially they're still all canon excluding certain variations between them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Sherry doesn't get infected with the G-Virus at all in Claire B, IIRC, and the version of RE2 you see in the Ada scenario in Umbrella Chronicles is from Leon B.

Every so often some dope in the fan community gets all worked up over why Claire A/Leon B is considered canon and usually gets into a big slapfight on wherever the grognards hang out (right now it's Project Umbrella), but there's really nothing in Leon A/Claire B that's exclusive enough to matter.

It is the scenario from the novels, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

As far as I'm concerned, Darkside Chronicles is the canonical version of RE2 because of the scene in the sewers where Claire calls Annette out on her lovely parenting after meeting her 30 seconds ago. Also for the part where you meet Ada and Leon's like "She seems trust worthy, and she needs our help!" and Claire's just like "For real, dude?"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think the funniest thing of all is seeing everyone age so dramatically. They go from 20ish y/o's in the first few games ( or preteens in Sherry's case ), to 30-40 in RE6.

I'd actually be interested in hearing what Japan thinks of Chris and Jill being around 40.

^^ How are those games. I'm tempted to go through them before 4 just as a refresher for all this nonsense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Chronicles games are frustrating for me because they're difficult and DSC also has a ridiculous amount of shaky-cam/motion blur. They've got their fans, though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

The Chronicles games are frustrating for me because they're difficult and DSC also has a ridiculous amount of shaky-cam/motion blur. They've got their fans, though.

Are they difficult? I played the first Chronicles game a little, and was having an rear end of a time, but I thought it was due to the fact my cousin hadn't done any weapons upgrades (I *think* you could spend points to upgrade weapons?), so I wasn't sure if it was really hard, or he was just really bad at upgrades.

Then again, he was never good at item management in RE games. poo poo's jacked when you have to rely on the Spark Shot because somebody managed to eat through all their better ammo by the lab part of RE2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You can upgrade weapons and it helps, but it's very much a House of the Dead sort of game where precise shooting is the way through, and as a result, I'm stuck on the first fight with Birkin in DSC.

Also, I went back a few pages and didn't see anyone mention this, but I thought it was interesting: Dee Ay from ORC is gay, but it didn't figure into the game. They call him "Dee Ay" because it's short for "Don't Ask."