Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm less confused about whatever backyard load-bearing they've devised and more about what they're pulling with a Monte Carlo that has a tongue height of nearly driver's head level.

Unless not pictured is the rear springs being blown to poo poo (possibly from pulling a hosed up trailer with a Monte Carlo) to where the car's riding nose high, bumper dragging the ground, and moving the hitch to the trunklid was the expedient solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Snowdens Secret posted:

How would that even work

Hopefully the operator of the vehicle is the one who thought this was a good idea and hopefully it collapses their rear suspension and pancakes them into the first bridge abutment on their route. That's how.

I'm betting some kind of gooseneck trailer, whether cargo, horse, or RV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

I'm betting some kind of gooseneck trailer, whether cargo, horse, or RV.

I'll guess one of those truck campers with a couple wheels bolted on and a trailer socket screwed in under the bed area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNMvBnm14o

:science:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Decided to go for a walk during lunch to see what the hours of the nearby mustang museum are. Half way there, I ended up at a controlled intersection, and had to wait to cross. On the other side of the intersection was a beat to poo poo Neon (dents, faded paint, replaced panels with different colors, quite a loud exhaust leak), with its left turn blinker on. Light turns green, I have a walk signal, and the Neon decides to play chicken with me (blocking the through traffic, he raced into the intersection), missing me by about a foot. Fucker.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Brigdh posted:

Decided to go for a walk during lunch to see what the hours of the nearby mustang museum are. Half way there, I ended up at a controlled intersection, and had to wait to cross. On the other side of the intersection was a beat to poo poo Neon (dents, faded paint, replaced panels with different colors, quite a loud exhaust leak), with its left turn blinker on. Light turns green, I have a walk signal, and the Neon decides to play chicken with me (blocking the through traffic, he raced into the intersection), missing me by about a foot. Fucker.

I get pissed at idiots that cross willy nilly and expect you to stop, but if you actually go to a crosswalk and wait for the light, gently caress anyone that is in too big of a hurry (or just a dick) to let you go across. I've seen so many people get so close to being run down (and at least a couple actually be hit) that are following all the rules.

I'm so paranoid anytime I cross a street on foot - I don't trust anyone.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I stay out of the way when I see ANY neon, let alone a neon that's beat to poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You sound like you're implying there exists a Neon anywhere that isn't beat to poo poo.

I swear those things came from the factory with plastic fasteners and hidden dents that are designed to reveal themselves after 2 years.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think poo poo Tons of Rattles were a standard feature. Had to drive my father in law's for about a week (long story) and had to jam some random keys and nails into the sunroof surround to stop the noise and keep my sanity.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
No neons came factory installed with an automatic time bomb in the auto transmission :v:

Best car dodge made. When they finally say gently caress it most catch on fire to let you know. I know this from personal experience. And several coworkers have seen the same viking funeral of their old neons

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I see that, and i raise you.

"50-60% tread left"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

50-60% of the tire still has some tread so I guess it's not a complete lie?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

I'll guess one of those truck campers with a couple wheels bolted on and a trailer socket screwed in under the bed area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNMvBnm14o

:science:

This is the coolest loving thing I've ever seen.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

My dad taught me to watch the cross-traffic lights to know when your light was turning green when I was loving 5. So watching morons do the inch forward and stop, repeat until green poo poo has been driving me insane roughly that long. Thanks, dad, for giving me an early start on my hatred of other drivers.

edit: BTW, making your kid think you are a wizard by snapping your fingers to "make the lights turn green" is a cool-dad-thing, that also works on slow friends :v:

For a while I was the exact opposite of this. After helping close the store I was working for at the time, me and my fellow coworkers would usually arrive at the same light at the same time and going the same way. After a while, this devolved into a competition of who could get off the line the fastest. It stopped when I used a habit one of my uncles developed for drag racing at his local strip and stopped waiting for the green, but just went as soon as the yellow light went out to constantly win. They never did figure out how i could react so quickly. In retrospect, this was a terrible idea and probably could have wound up in a bad accident, so I guess I'm one of those people you share a road with.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Friendly drag racing is probably the cheapest intro to motor racing. If you have a few friends into it like that, look for a local strip. Some are only 1/8 mile but we have a couple 1/4 miles tracks within a half hour here and it's a load of fun. One has test & tune on Friday and one on Saturday. Show up, pay your 20 bucks, and get as many runs as you can fit in. Car requirements are pretty lax. If you're not in the 13s I think the only thing they made sure you had was long pants and sleeves.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nsaP posted:

Car requirements are pretty lax. If you're not in the 13s I think the only thing they made sure you had was long pants and sleeves.

Yeah, if your car doesn't run faster than 14.00 in the quarter, you don't even need a helmet, and tech inspection basically consists of "is it reasonably roadworthy" and "is it actively pissing fluids onto the track".

The only problem is when you're in a major metro area, which are seemingly all underserved for drag strips. All of Phoenix has only one drag strip currently operating, so the amount of time you need to wait for each run gets ridiculous.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, around Cincy we have two 1/4 mile tracks and one 1/8th mile that I know of, but they still get busy. We'd try to show up right as the gates were opening and would get 3-4 runs in real quick, then the rest of the night might get another 2-3 runs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, this was in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, so the only strip any of us knew about was in ennis, so there would also be the issue of there being enough semi serious people running at ennis that none of us would have wanted to go and compete for space to run. However if there had been a smaller strip where it would have been more accessible for people to come out and drag race for the fun of it, we probably would have been all over it.

In any event, have a picture of one of the drag cars built by my uncle and his friend! The red one in the front was named sweet thang and built for the friend's daughter. If I remember correctly, it would do a constant 9 second run, but I can't recall if Hallsville was a 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile track at the time. It was constantly changing depending on how much money they had to spend. Its a shame the track is closed now though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Test and tune night is nearly all people having fun. Like probably 8/10 runners at least.

Edit: Looks like you'd call it "Fast Friday"

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 27, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Orlando Speed World is pretty chill. It's got a short runoff so the real fast cars don't run there as much, and definitely no Top Fuel; 9-8s cars are about the fastest you see generally. 15 bucks to run all night, I need to go again one of these days (once I get a more suitable car, the Protege is FWD, low-powered and really doesn't like clutch drops/hard launches).

They also have a figure-8 track where they used to do bus races; I think it's just a drift loop now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, this was in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, so the only strip any of us knew about was in ennis, so there would also be the issue of there being enough semi serious people running at ennis that none of us would have wanted to go and compete for space to run. However if there had been a smaller strip where it would have been more accessible for people to come out and drag race for the fun of it, we probably would have been all over it.

I used to live less than half an hour away from the Ennis track. My cousin would go up there all the time and just gently caress around on there, it's not really that tough to get in there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

subx posted:

I get pissed at idiots that cross willy nilly and expect you to stop, but if you actually go to a crosswalk and wait for the light, gently caress anyone that is in too big of a hurry (or just a dick) to let you go across. I've seen so many people get so close to being run down (and at least a couple actually be hit) that are following all the rules.

I'm so paranoid anytime I cross a street on foot - I don't trust anyone.

On the other hand, just today, in a similar situation, I had to stop in the middle of a turn when the pedestrians that had been standing at the corner for five seconds, not facing the direction they eventually walked, jumped out in front of me. Pedestrians can be unpredictable, so it's not always the driver's fault if they get stranded in the middle of a turn.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I've owned two tomtoms, a garmin, and now the GPS app on my cellphone. They all did it to varying degrees, the garmin absolutely sucked in other ways but was the least affected by this problem. I hope the jackass who stole the second tomtom followed its directions blindly and ended up on the bottom of a lake.

The funniest and most enraging was the second tomtom, it had absolutely no idea what to do when I went to NYC one time. signal reflections off the buildings drove it berzerk and it spent so much time zooming/panning/gyrating wildly and yelling RECALCULATING that I couldn't even see where I was trying to go and ended up just bullshitting my way there.

I like how my GPS says 140something mph under the top speed section because of that. Anytime you're in a downtown area with tall buildings or even trees it can get pretty confused.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Dear Corvette owners: Yes, you drive a quick sports car that is usually the dream of every American pubescent teenage boy. However, just because you paid $40,000+ for your car does not mean you can block both lanes of traffic with said car; while the rest of us wait for your geriatric rear end to finish taking that picture of the Corvette Museum. And this happens every day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The corvette isn't even a good sports car. :can:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It is if you like to go really fast in a sort of straight line. :haw::hf::can:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
To be fair to the corvette, it's not like any american manufacturer makes a sports car thats any worse. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SocketSeven posted:

To be fair to the corvette, it's not like any american manufacturer makes a sports car thats any worse. :colbert:

Or any better

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Or any better

You really can't expect much from sports cars with rear drums on the base model in this day and age.

How many years ago was it that Vettes got IRS standard? Do they have limited slip diffs? :can:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

SocketSeven posted:

You really can't expect much from sports cars with rear drums on the base model in this day and age.

How many years ago was it that Vettes got IRS standard? Do they have limited slip diffs? :can:

Hey man, Mustangs didn't get IRS until like, next year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bang up job to this pair of clownshoes, intersection backed up with about a ten minute delay due to construction and these tools decide they want to add to the pileup instead of going right and taking a detour.

So as soon as the car in front of me leaves a smidgen of gap, these guys fill the space in the completely wrong direction. Both of them had to make three point turns (wasting another light cycle) to get going the right way.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

N is for Nipples posted:

Hey man, Mustangs didn't get IRS until like, next year.

OTOH I don't think Ford has ever seriously marketed the Mustang as anything other than a rolling penis extension straight line muscle car so...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geoj posted:

OTOH I don't think Ford has ever seriously marketed the Mustang as anything other than a rolling penis extension straight line muscle car so...

The Mustang is and always has been a pony car, not a muscle car or a sports car.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
post idiots

:effort:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The sign said no stopping, not no parking :colbert:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Super dick move would involve a length of chain and a padlock

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

buttcrackmenace posted:

Super dick move would involve a length of chain and a padlock

I think beating him to death is taking it a bit overboard.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
A week ago I was driving past Safeco field on 1st Ave. Obviously since it is a major 4 lane arterial it is lined with "No Stopping" signs yet the guy in front of me decides to hit his hazards and pick up his buddy. Normally I might have just pulled around him but the left lane was a steady stream of semi-trucks so I just layed on my horn for about 25 seconds while the passenger put his bags in the trunk and gave me the evil-eye. There was a cop across the street at a construction site that I half expected to either wave me or him over but he hardly bothered to look up.

As an addendum the reason for the endless line of semi trucks is that Seattle decided to put a major highway between the shipping port and the rail port with only surface streets in between. This means every container from all over the northwest must come off the train, go onto a truck, be driven a quarter mile through downtown traffic then come off the truck and be loaded onto a boat. Even though we are completely rebuilding the highway and interchanges through there I haven't heard of any plans to rectify this.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had a woman in her 30s tailgate me in her (or probably her Marine husbands based on the base sticker) lifted 4-door wrangler going 75 while following the car infront of me. I did the old "coast, tap brakes, and hammer it" a few times to try to get some distance.

Apparently this set her off and she proceeded to furiously tailgate me and fake sideswipe me from the #2 lane.

All this with her preteen child in the passenger seat.

This is why I hate living in proximity to a Marine Base sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chinatown posted:

Had a woman in her 30s tailgate me in her (or probably her Marine husbands based on the base sticker) lifted 4-door wrangler going 75 while following the car infront of me. I did the old "coast, tap brakes, and hammer it" a few times to try to get some distance.

Apparently this set her off and she proceeded to furiously tailgate me and fake sideswipe me from the #2 lane.

All this with her preteen child in the passenger seat.

This is why I hate living in proximity to a Marine Base sometimes.

Coast and tap brakes are a great way to signal someone is too close to you without being a dick and following it up with hammering it. I would be pissed if someone in front of me kept tapping the brakes and then accelerating madly. If there are two lanes, move over.