Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That is a rare car, I don't think I've ever seen one. Price seems high but who knows what it's worth, cool looking car though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Don't like to self quote but have any of you owned one of these? I decided it looks pretty great for the price so I'll go look... $3500 will almost buy you a 15 year old Hyundai around here, so I'm wondering if it's got big problems or if he just doesn't know what he's doing. I'm looking tomorrow. Seller seems like he's not a total moron, which is nice.

I have a 88 560sl. Yes, that is are pretty good price.
They were made back in the days when Mercedes produced a quality product that didn't loving fall apart after 4 years.
Check for rust. The fuel distributor is expensive, but likely replaced at this point.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4400096095.html

Why do I wanna buy some insanely wide tires for the rear, skinny tires for up front, put an obnoxious rear end big block in that thing and drive it around?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Because it would be loving amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4400096095.html

Why do I wanna buy some insanely wide tires for the rear, skinny tires for up front, put an obnoxious rear end big block in that thing and drive it around?

Because that would be absolutely loving amazing, as the Terrible Robot says. I saw that thing earlier and had to stop and think about it a minute. :)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Super bitchin e30:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4382426340.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's lovingly crafted and in excellent shape, but 19.5k for what amounts to a knockoff Italian-spec 320is is a bit much considering you are getting in striking distance of an actual M3. I love the wheels though.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
To be fair, if he wanted the most straightforward e30 chassis possible it would have to be an 89 without a sunroof, no? That way it would still have the plastic bumpers but wouldn't have power windows or anything like that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
20k will get you an E30 M3 in pretty loving good condition and as much as that guy would like to claim that thing weighs almost 300lbs less, I'm a bit doubtful without seeing that thing on the scales.

e: Also no M3 seats which is like a good 25% of the reason to buy an M3 IMO

e2: No 5 lug swap done which means it's probably using stock E30 brakes, how the hell does it stop better than an M3?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

20k will get you an E30 M3 in pretty loving good condition and as much as that guy would like to claim that thing weighs almost 300lbs less, I'm a bit doubtful without seeing that thing on the scales.

e: Also no M3 seats which is like a good 25% of the reason to buy an M3 IMO

e2: No 5 lug swap done which means it's probably using stock E30 brakes, how the hell does it stop better than an M3?

It doesn't. Buy an E30 M3. The weight balance with the power would be nice, but you'd be better off with an M3.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tween_spirit posted:

To be fair, if he wanted the most straightforward e30 chassis possible it would have to be an 89 without a sunroof, no? That way it would still have the plastic bumpers but wouldn't have power windows or anything like that.

318iS had very little sound deadening so that's probably why. Almost every e30 that hit the US shores had power windows.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Seat Safety Switch posted:

OK I officially love this truck and it has amazing pictures. It's like a Swedish murder mystery show in here.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1974-international-harvester-scout/585914516

I need to get better at automotive photography so I can take shots like this in the winter.

I asked my photog ladyfriend how to do this and this was recommended:
-Diffuse, indirect, oblique light (sunset, sunrise, twilight, dusk, cloudy days)
-Experimenting with shallow depths of field
-Some voodoo called a levitation lens filter

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tween_spirit posted:

I not too familiar with E30s, but I've only ever seen crank-up manual windows on 84-85 poverty-spec 318i models, and even then those are uncommon. Did any of 325i/325is come with non-power windows in North America?

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

animeliker posted:

I not too familiar with E30s, but I've only ever seen crank-up manual windows on 84-85 poverty-spec 318i models, and even then those are uncommon. Did any of 325i/325is come with non-power windows in North America?

I'm about 99% sure that I looked at two specifically '89 325i or more likely 325is that had manual windows, but that was over 5 years ago so my memory is probably failing me as I looked at a lot of E30s at the time. I just remember there being some major difference between the 89 and 90/91 models but I guess it's something else.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have never seen a USDM E30 with manual windows, for whatever that's worth. Definitely not common, if anything. I've only seen a couple slicktop ones as well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The funny part is there was a legit federalized 320is for sale not that long ago and I think it was under 20k. I was wrong, it was listed for 35k.

There is almost no market for that car. Anyone with that money will just buy an M3. The only value in that car would be pulling the S14 back out and selling it, then selling the shell separately to someone for a 24v swap.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 25, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

The funny part is there was a legit federalized 320is for sale not that long ago and I think it was under 20k.

There is almost no market for that car. Anyone with that money will just buy an M3. The only value in that car would be pulling the S14 back out and selling it, then selling the shell separately to someone for a 24v swap.

The wheels are nice but it looks like it has the wrong size tire on them, as well. No suspension work done, either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Half the reason anyone buys the M3 is because it's the M3. There are plenty of other cars that are lighter and faster than it you can buy for less money.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

The funny part is there was a legit federalized 320is for sale not that long ago and I think it was under 20k. I was wrong, it was listed for 35k.

Yeah this is what I was thinking and there's no way you'd get 20k out of if you did that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gold? Not Gold?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4413032624.html

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Not gold. Body damage. Interior parts missing, like the main carpet. Missing and mismatched body trim.

Looks like a basketcase.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely not gold, but would be an ok buy under 1500

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I asked my photog ladyfriend how to do this and this was recommended:
-Diffuse, indirect, oblique light (sunset, sunrise, twilight, dusk, cloudy days)
-Experimenting with shallow depths of field
-Some voodoo called a levitation lens filter

Also, you'd need a nice, fast prime lens (say 50mm f/1.8). It's not just a matter of technique; you'd never get pictures like that with a digital point & shoot. Zoom lenses tend to have too narrow an aperture.

What the heck is a levitation lens filter? I'm gonna look that up :)

e: google yields nothing

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The 80's are calling me back...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4439393192.html

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Pick up the phone, that paint/car is awesome.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Man, this is awesome too.

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/cto/4439966349.html

9k mile 1979 RX7. Never been in rain or snow, except where the pictures are taken with snow all around it. :v: Still, I've got more miles on my 2013 car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Definitely worth the price. Do it. It's mostly unmolested and those cars are just getting more rare.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Go buy the drat car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Beyond the misguided emissions fuckery, its pretty awesome. They are slower than you expect, its torquey but definitely not smooth or high-revving. Driving one felt a bit like a Z31 300ZX turbo with one dead cylinder.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is the conquest basically a starion?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

There's a reason they're colloquially known as Starquests.

Also, hope you enjoy replacing head gaskets.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

A MIRACLE posted:

They are sister cars and the generation before Eclipse/Talon, I believe

That's a drat nice RX-7 too. But with even how much I like them, I would pick the conquest

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Didn't the conquest have some obnoxiously huge turbo? My buddy had one in college, and it had no acceleration till the turbo spooled up... then acceleration city.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Not huge, just old and primitive. A lot of turbo cars from the 70s-80s have pretty bad lag, it's just the state of turbine design at the time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not huge, just old and primitive. A lot of turbo cars from the 70s-80s have pretty bad lag, it's just the state of turbine design at the time.

The smaller engined ones were even worse - years ago my mate had a Cordia turbo and it was hilariously laggy

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

There's a reason they're colloquially known as Starquests.

Also, hope you enjoy replacing head gaskets.

gently caress the head gasket, hope you enjoy replacing the entire head. Unless the jet valves have been eliminated already, or will be before the head cracks around them. It's been a number of years since I sold mine, but from what I remember it's also kind of hard to mod these for power, since the fueling system is incredibly primitive - it consists of 2 injectors that atomize the fuel into the intake charge for the whole motor, kind of like a TBI setup. Which is about as awesome as you might imagine when dealing with forced induction. To sum up, the 2.6 Astron is kind of poo poo. That said, I still want another one, although it would have to be in better shape than my first one was.

These were sold with a 4G63 (NA) across the pond, which might open up some interesting swap ideas :getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Black88GTA posted:

gently caress the head gasket, hope you enjoy replacing the entire head. Unless the jet valves have been eliminated already, or will be before the head cracks around them. It's been a number of years since I sold mine, but from what I remember it's also kind of hard to mod these for power, since the fueling system is incredibly primitive - it consists of 2 injectors that atomize the fuel into the intake charge for the whole motor, kind of like a TBI setup. Which is about as awesome as you might imagine when dealing with forced induction. To sum up, the 2.6 Astron is kind of poo poo. That said, I still want another one, although it would have to be in better shape than my first one was.

These were sold with a 4G63 (NA) across the pond, which might open up some interesting swap ideas :getin:

Japan Starions were all 4G63 Turbos aside from one model with the G54B, and another base model that was withdrawn from sale after a year. Some had the "Sirius Dash" engine and are the most powerful.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/summerside-pei/1994-ford-sho/585272981?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

How are these things? He was asking 3k in another ad. Would they be usable as a year round daily driver? I'm desperate to get rid of my golf for something fun. My friend had an SVT contour and I actually liked that stupid thing. One of the best factory exhaust notes I've heard.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I enjoyed having a pair, but working on the things can get tedious. You are supposed to adjust the valve lash every 60kish miles, but it seems like 3/4 of people selling them have no idea what you are talking about when you bring it up.

Also at 33 mpg that thing is running REALLY lean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Plek posted:

Also at 33 mpg that thing is running REALLY lean.

Or the seller is inflating the mileage that it actually gets by a third...

Found this, inspired by DJ Commie's thread:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4436019324.html

I really like it but it seems a bit overpriced.