Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
whip's that cop that shot himself trying to shoot a dogge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not going to read into that D&D thread to figure out who they're talking about and whether they're actually 'terrorists' or not.

I don't know either, I just saw that sparked off a derail for about a page and they hadn't even gotten to a second page of content.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

In D&D? I'm calling bullshit.

Here's some more stuff on Russia's new artic plans. (I believe they went to the UN to have an expansion of their artic territory recognized back in 2011?)

quote:

A united system of naval bases for ships and next-generation submarines will be created in the Arctic to defend Russia’s interests in the region, President Vladimir Putin said.

He urged the government to provide full state funding for the socio-economic development of the Russian Arctic through 2017-20.

Putin said that a separate state agency should be created to implement Russian policy in the Arctic and to improve the quality of governance and decision-making in this area.

“We do not need a bulky bureaucratic body, but a flexible operational structure, which will help better coordinate the activities of ministries and departments, regions and businesses,” he said.

At a Russian Security Council meeting Tuesday, the president said that suggested “strengthening of the naval component of the Federal Security Service (FSB) border guard group.”

“At the same time, we should strengthen the military infrastructure. Specifically, I’m referring to the creation of a united system of naval bases for ships and next-generation submarines in our part of the Arctic,” he added.

Putin emphasized that even the smallest aspects of the integrated security system in the Russian Arctic needed attention.

“All security issues should be thoroughly worked out during multiagency exercises and training sessions, in which the units of the Defense Ministry, Emergencies Ministry and other structures should take part on a regular basis,” Putin said.

“Russian oil and gas production facilities, loading terminals and pipelines in the Arctic must be protected from terrorists and other potential threats,” he added.

"It makes sense to create a body similar in status to the state commission with broad authority, as it was previously done for the Russian Far East," the president said, adding that he would await specific proposals from the government.
http://rt.com/news/154028-arctic-russia-ships-subs/

E;

The body of a pro-kiev politician in the east has been found, with signs of torture.

Separatists shot down an army scout propeller plane with small arms fire.

Acting Ukraine President just gave orders to restart the "anti-terror" op in the east.

Are we getting any good idea on just how the loyalties among army/police/militia lie by now?
Last time they tried ordering in the armed forces it all kind of fizzled out, with the implication being that local army units had refused to be sent against civilians. Which is the same thing that happened when Yanu tried to use them against Maidan, so perhaps it's less disloyalty and more that the army doesn't want to shoot civilians overall? :iiam:
Bet they wish they had Berkut now though, eh?

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 22, 2014

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Courthouse posted:

In D&D? I'm calling bullshit.

Here's some more stuff on Russia's new artic plans. (I believe they went to the UN to have an expansion of their artic territory recognized back in 2011?)

http://rt.com/news/154028-arctic-russia-ships-subs/

I wonder how well the procurement process goes in country who's largest industry is bribery.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Jonad posted:

I wonder how well the procurement process goes in country who's largest industry is bribery.

Still better than the F-35

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jonad posted:

I read somewhere that environmental groups like to joke that corruption has done wonders to preserve the Siberian forests.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Jonad posted:

wait are you NOT talking about :911:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Still better than the F-35

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If anyone had any doubt where the rhetoric on Ukraine had escalated to:

http://rt.com/news/154212-lavrov-russia-will-defend-itself/

quote:

Russia will retaliate if it is attacked and the interests of the Russian people are threatened, Sergey Lavrov told RT. He alleged the US has a hand in the current stand-off in Ukraine between the coup-appointed government and anti-Maidan activists.

In an interview with RT’s Sophie Shevardnadze, Sergey Lavrov said that if Russian territory comes under attack, then Moscow will respond in line with international law.

“If we are attacked, we would certainly respond. If our interests, our legitimate interests, the interests of Russians have been attacked directly, like they were in South Ossetia for example, I do not see any other way but to respond in accordance with international law,” he said.

Speaking about the buildup of troops on the Russian-Ukrainian border, Lavrov added that Russian troops have not crossed into Ukraine and remain on Russian territory.

“Russian citizens being attacked is an attack against the Russian Federation,” he told RT.

The foreign minister also spoke about American involvement in the ongoing crisis in Ukraine, accusing Washington of trying to manipulate the situation.

“There is no reason not to believe that the Americans are running the show,” said Lavrov, referencing US Vice-President Joe Biden’s visit to Kiev and its coincidence with the renewed counter-terror operation on activists in eastern Ukraine.

Also good lord the rt.com comments

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Just fuckin punch on already, jesus christ.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Russia just took over their largest Social Media site, continues to not be guilty of Snowden-y things

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27113292

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Now Russia is announcing additional military drills within ten kilometers of the border to "stop Ukraine's military machine."

I can't imagine how much it costs to be constantly driving BMPs everywhere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

stop Ukraine's military machine

Sorry, what? They lost me somewhere between this line and "Ukraine is falling apart, there is no government we need to annex save the Sudatenland Crimea."

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

SumYungGui posted:

Sorry, what? They lost me somewhere between this line and "Ukraine is falling apart, there is no government we need to annex save the Sudatenland Crimea."

Look, that elite para unit did technically surrender their arms and IFVs to a mob of drunks and grannies, but who's to say that's not just a clever ruse to get Russia to drop it's guard?

At least the surrendered IFVs are being put to good use :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtfL54BLV7s

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The 93rd Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Army may be in the middle of a mutiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQIC37VVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQZnJ8ZinpA

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The 93rd Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Army may be in the middle of a mutiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQIC37VVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQZnJ8ZinpA

Some translation?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Quoting because this appeals to GiP interests:

quote:

The flamboyant Russian parliamentarian Vladimir Zhirinovsky has apologized to the journalists of Rossiya Segodnya during a live talk show with Vladimir Solovyov on the TV channel Rossiya 1, RIA Novosti reported. On Good Friday (18 April), the ultranationalist politician shocked reporters when he pushed his bodyguards on women journalists at a press conference, urging them to rape them, all the while shouting, “Christ Has Risen!” Among them was a pregnant reporter, Stella Dubovitskaya.Solovyov gave Zhirinovsky the opportunity to apologize “as the disturber of the peace in recent days,” but his response was muted:

"On Friday at the Duma in talking with the press, at the end, answering questions, I spoke a little crudely, responding to a girl. I didn’t even see her at first, and it turned out that she was in the family way, pregnant. I apologize to her and in general to everyone, if I offended someone. Old age should conceal any emotions with wisdom. We always try to restrain them, so that people do not get offended at us."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Courthouse posted:

Some translation?

It's almost entirely swearing, and occasionally something about shooting and killing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

MOSCOW, April 25 /ITAR-TASS/. The United Nations Secretary-General must publicly discuss the use of force in Ukraine's southeast, Vitaly Churkin, the Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation at the UN, said early Friday in a special programme with Vladimir Solovyov on the "Russia-1 television channel.

"I called UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon up and suggested that he discuss in a public statement which, I hope, he will make, the use of armed force against the political opposition in the country's east," Churkin said. "I explained that it is essential to return to implementing the Geneva document dated April 17."

quote:

MOSCOW, April 25, 0:36 /ITAR-TASS/. The UN Security Council is split, and it is impossible to expect serious actions from it regarding the settlement of the conflict in Ukraine’s southeast, Russia’s permanent representative to the United Nations, Vitaly Churkin, said Friday.

“The Security Council is split. We can’t expect much from it,” Churkin said during a special program on Rossiya-1 television on Friday when asked whether a UN peacekeeping operation is possible in Ukraine.

He explained that such a scenario was unlikely.

quote:

Olexiy Solohubenko @OS1954
Russia can use Article 51 of UN Charter (self-defence) to bring in troops to #Ukraine says Ambo Churkin - trying to legalise invasion

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Quoting because this appeals to GiP interests:

Looks like someone is doing their part to help sexual assault awareness in rapril.:smuggo:

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
More clashes, looks like an Mi-8 just got blown out of the sky near Slovjansk. :suspense:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Blown up by an RPG on the ground, at least.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10787281/Ukraine-helicopter-hit-by-grenade-taking-off.html

Says the pilot got out OK.

E: In silly-season news apparently the Russian Foreign Ministry has hijacked the US State Department's #UnitedForUkraine hashtag and State is reduced to issuing complaining statements about them 'not living by their hashtag.' This is a thing that is happening.

E2: The RPG claim is the official Russian angle. The Ukrs are claiming (right now) it was small arms sniper fire. Interesting as always which press outlets are reporting the Russian side uncritically and without sourcing.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Russia has invaded our twitters!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
We must not allow a Twitter-Gap! I have a plan. Unleash the 4-chans on them.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Looks like some OSSE officers brought in to oversee the Geneva agreement between Rus/US/EU/Ukr just got yoinked by the local militias. Not sure if this means Russia is less in control that thought, or trying to throw gravel in the gears of attempts to peaceful resolution while still looking cooperative and diplomatic.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lol if you thought the Geneva agreement meant anything at all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I meant to effortpost on this when it came out, but the text of the Geneva Agreement is so non-specific in who it makes responsible for anything and who is 'legitimate' or 'illegal' that it lets both sides claim they're following the letter of it - including the Russians, who consider the interim government 'illegal' and just today re-inferred that Yanukovich is still the valid leader. It was a really stupid thing to hold up as some great achievement when the Russian road map over it was obvious at first glance. And that's in the English translation, I can't imagine the trickery in the Russian text.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Didn't even bother to read the text of it honestly, I was more referring to Russias role or lack thereof in OSSE officers getting kidnapped.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/25/exclusive-putin-halts-all-talks-with-white-house.html

quote:

Diplomatic sources close to the process confirmed that Putin is not interested in speaking with Obama again in the current environment. The two leaders might talk again in the future but neither side is reaching out for direct interaction, as they had been doing since the Ukraine crisis began. The failure of the agreement struck last week in Geneva between the contact group of the U.S., EU, Russia, and Ukraine has made further direct Washington-Moscow interactions moot.

Other top U.S. officials are also now out of direct contact with their Russian interlocutors. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is also getting the cold shoulder from his Russian counterpart Sergey Shoygu. Pentagon officials have reached out to Russia on Mr. Hagel’s behalf within the past 24 hours but have not gotten any response, according to Pentagon Spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren.

That leaves the channel between Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as the only semi-functioning high-level diplomatic channel between Washington and Moscow. But even that often-frosty relationship has further chilled as the two sides hurled insults and accusations this week.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/25/pentagon-hagel-russian-counterpart-wont-return-his-calls/

quote:

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel cannot get his Russian counterpart to take his calls, the Pentagon said Friday -- amid a new report that the Kremlin has suspended high-level talks with U.S. officials.

Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren told reporters that Hagel is trying to speak with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, but the Russian Defense Ministry won't return his calls.

"We have made it clear to the Russians that Secretary Hagel is available for a phone call anytime," Warren said. "We have reached out to them and made it very clear to them that he is willing to speak with his counterpart" -- but, Warren said, "we have not heard back."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tanks roaring through the Fulda Gap.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYazAAScOE

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Fulda is pretty far behind NATO lines at this point.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Baloogan posted:

Fulda is pretty far behind NATO lines at this point.

NATO still has lines? Please tell me it's not red or the Polacks are hosed. :v:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Dammit, I thought something had happened, so I checked CNN:

Nope. Well, maybe. Like CNN would give a poo poo.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Godholio posted:

CNN, the most trusted name in waterlogged Asian corpse news.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

Putin could invade and occupy all of the former Eastern Bloc and CNN still wouldn't report on it.

Kinda sad, they've turned into the People Magazine of news.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The international edition of cnn is usually better than the the us version, just saying.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
al jazeera is unironically the best

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/26/ukraine-monitorsransom.html

quote:

A pro-Russian insurgency leader in eastern Ukraine said Saturday that foreign military observers, detained by the insurgents as suspected NATO spies, could be released in exchange for jailed pro-Russian activists, as tensions in the country’s east remained high. Ukraine’s acting prime minister said Russian military aircraft had violated his country’s airspace, and Western powers moved closer to punishing Russia with more sanctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Cable news channels and their websites are pretty much entirely trash

• Locked thread