Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HeartPlug posted:

I can't get into FTL Advanced. Every time I start playing I make it to Sector 3 and I lose interest. Was I expecting too much from the update? Did I overdo playing classic mode by winning a victory on every ship? I'm sure the problem's with me and not update.

Well, it's basically FTL with maybe 20% more content and a few UI tweaks. So if you've played the original to death then it's not really surprising that this doesn't hold your interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

HeartPlug posted:

I can't get into FTL Advanced. Every time I start playing I make it to Sector 3 and I lose interest. Was I expecting too much from the update? Did I overdo playing classic mode by winning a victory on every ship? I'm sure the problem's with me and not update.

Sounds like burnout. Take a break and don't force yourself to play it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

So I decided to check out Nuclear Throne yesterday and after 4 hours of non-stop playing the chicken dude I can conclude the game is officially awesome even though it's still Early Access.

Every time I see the name Vlambeer I get inappropriately giddy. Everything from the gameplay to music is stylish and well-though out, the dude/dudette/dudes really know how to make games.

Chicken dudette you mean!

Yeah Nuclear Throne is awesome though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Harminoff posted:

Rogue Shooter is out on steam. Anyone playing?
I was waiting for this game since I saw a vid about it. Just grabbed it, and guess what? Can't play it because it says "out of memory" while loading :v:

Lots of people have this error, so I guess it's the usual trouble with bringing random indie games to Steam and whatnot. The dev seems to be aware, but I'll stay away until it's fixed.

E: Another user posted a temporary fix on the Steam forum. It's a simple patch utility, so I'll at least check out the game now.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 26, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Rogue Shooter is out on steam. Anyone playing?

Me, it's okay. The unlock system should be during rounds, not just after. And it's LONG.

But worth the price of admission if you like old era shooters.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pladdicus posted:

Me, it's okay. The unlock system should be during rounds, not just after. And it's LONG.

But worth the price of admission if you like old era shooters.
Yeah, same. It's fun if you like old Fps games, but still has lots of problems. Like not being able to save+quit in a safe room. Nope, either play all of it or die. And I was kinda annoyed that nothing unlocked after I quit my first run beyond floor twenty! Could become a nice game with a little more time+feedback.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is it really 100 floors with no save system?

Seems like that would take a long time to complete.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Tried Hoplite based on a comment here, and love it. Will be trying to get the last Athiest achievement for quite some time tho. Any other iphone RLs or similar to recommend?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lordfrikk posted:

So I decided to check out Nuclear Throne yesterday and after 4 hours of non-stop playing the chicken dude I can conclude the game is officially awesome even though it's still Early Access.

Every time I see the name Vlambeer I get inappropriately giddy. Everything from the gameplay to music is stylish and well-though out, the dude/dudette/dudes really know how to make games.

I really love Nuclear Throne, yeah. It feels really polished already for an Early Access game and it's neat that pretty much all of the different characters are fun in their own way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bisonbison posted:

Tried Hoplite based on a comment here, and love it. Will be trying to get the last Athiest achievement for quite some time tho. Any other iphone RLs or similar to recommend?

Pixel Dungeon is basically Brogue for phones, try that. Also Hoplite is fantastic and everyone should play it.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

HeartPlug posted:

Somebody upthread posted a good summary, the new features add more micro without increasing the fun for an encounter. E.g. the hacking module looks great until I realised I have to use it every single time.

Or maybe that's just my gripe about it.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

uPen posted:

Pixel Dungeon is basically Brogue for phones, try that. Also Hoplite is fantastic and everyone should play it.

Unfortunately, Pixel Dungeons is not for iphones.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Gosh, Nuclear Throne is fun. Especially Chicken.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

bisonbison posted:

Check out zaga 33 and 868-hack. They're both expanded versions of 7 day rogue likes by Michael Brough and you can download versions for free on PC to try them out. I think Hoplite is by far the best but 868-hack has a nice simplicity to it and a lot of people love zaga 33.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dongsturm posted:

...the hacking module looks great until I realised I have to use it every single time...

I think you're not having enough villainous fun with hacking if you think it's a drag. Try targeting oxygen or medbays next time. Or doors if you plan on boarding them. The fun never ends!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
After the other guy made Arena.xlsm I decided to see how far I could take it.

Question, even if this isn't the right thread for it; I have made the identify mechanic (so far) so that your ability to identify an item is first based off of Intuition (you have 18 total stats that work together on subtle/not-subtle stuff like that). Armor/weapons don't need identification.

You get whatever percent chance your intuition is (1-15) to identify items when you pick them up. If you fail then you won't be given a chance to recognize any more of that item by picking it up again. If you eat/use it anyway, you have a 50% chance of recognizing it. You'll always have the 50% chance to identify on use until you do identify it (then that specific item stays identified).

Does that sound like a terrible or not terrible mechanic for a rogue-like that doesn't have scrolls/magic/etc.? It's really bugging me, because I can't think of a better way to do it that isn't cliche or magic-y.

I attached a picture to kinda show what they look like in your inventory (in red); you didn't identify the red liquid so it's in red with no details in your inventory--if you eat it and identify it gives details and goes from red to black text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I generally feel that for items that you identify by using them, if there's some immediate effect then you should always identify them (for example if the item drives you berserk then you can mark it as "okay, that one's steroids" or whatever). If there's a delayed effect or no apparent effect at all then you can get into the more vague "you have an X% chance of figuring this out", but for obvious stuff the player should automatically ID the item on use. Otherwise you just have players saying to themselves "This item is obviously X, but the game didn't tell me that it's X, so I have to remember it myself next time" and that's not really any fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Adding an easy 'enscribe item' function with your own notes would be useful, as long as it's not really difficult to do / get to. Also, if I zap a wand and that wand shoots a fireball, even if my character's dumb as a rock, he should recognize that this is stick what makes hot explosion.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

you have 18 total stats
I love roguelikes and I love this thread.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've been keeping a secret from y'all, but I've reached a point in my life where I can no longer hold the truth inside. I have to come out and live my life proud as who I am. So, I will resoundingly say, I don't like the item id minigame.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

I've been keeping a secret from y'all, but I've reached a point in my life where I can no longer hold the truth inside. I have to come out and live my life proud as who I am. So, I will resoundingly say, I don't like the item id minigame.

I don't mind it in Brogue, but in most other roguelikes it's pretty miserable.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I don't mind it in Brogue, but in most other roguelikes it's pretty miserable.

Brogue at least has very few weird tricks you can do to improve it, though there's still annoying stuff like "stand near water in case it lights you on fire". I think brogue would be better without it given that, but I don't hate it there. It's closer to the ToME side of the ToME-nethack scale of item id shenanigans.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

Angband's done a lot to make it more tolerable -- almost every item has no bad consequences from just trying it out, and this includes equipment (though "just trying it out" could mean swapping out gear that's keeping you alive). It still has a long way to go on the equipment front, but I think that identification of consumables is at a tolerable point. Want to know what something does? Use it and find out what happens. About the only contextual stuff I can think of is trying potions when injured/poisoned, aiming wands at monsters instead of just into space (but almost all wands are offensive anyway so why wouldn't you?), and reading scrolls in a safe place just in case they're Summon Monster.

In fact, I think literally the only "bad" items in the game are scrolls of Summon Monster/Summon Undead and wands of Haste Monster, and they all show up pretty early when they aren't likely to get you into a lethal situation. Likewise, all equipment is at worst merely unenchanted; there are no curses except for two plot items (the One Ring and Morgoth's crown) which the game outright tells you are cursed as soon as you pick them up.

I tried to get into NetHack awhile ago, and the B/U/C checks and ID-by-price turned me right off it.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

madjackmcmad posted:

I love roguelikes and I love this thread.

You have 194 stats, they are binary, and you may be interested in the Church of Scientology.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jeffrey posted:

Brogue at least has very few weird tricks you can do to improve it, though there's still annoying stuff like "stand near water in case it lights you on fire". I think brogue would be better without it given that, but I don't hate it there. It's closer to the ToME side of the ToME-nethack scale of item id shenanigans.
Being on fire is also not the worst thing that can happen to you in Brogue. There is even a puzzle room that, if you haven't ID'd a fire potion yet, the only way to solve it is to quaff ID until you find yourself in flames and run towards a flammable barricade. (This is because the room generates on a level guaranteed to either have a fire potion or fire darts.)

Again, much more tolerable than in other roguelikes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

It's crap.

Actually as I get older I find I'm less and less patient with the more, um, 'prickly' aspects of roguelike games.

One turn instadeath? Lame. Item id? Lame. Death from moving too quickly? Lame. Proper way to play is be a coward for 1-10+ hours of gameplay? Lame.

I'm appreciating ezmode roguelikes and roguelike elements creeping into other games more and more :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm fine with playing like a coward - positioning and choosing fights are part of the fun to me. (Dying instantly is no fun but it's drat rare in crawl, which is still my go-to roguelike.)

doctorfrog posted:

Being on fire is also not the worst thing that can happen to you in Brogue. There is even a puzzle room that, if you haven't ID'd a fire potion yet, the only way to solve it is to quaff ID until you find yourself in flames and run towards a flammable barricade. (This is because the room generates on a level guaranteed to either have a fire potion or fire darts.)

Again, much more tolerable than in other roguelikes.

Hah, I didn't know being on fire let you go through those barricades, learn something new every day.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

victrix posted:

It's crap.

Actually as I get older I find I'm less and less patient with the more, um, 'prickly' aspects of roguelike games.

One turn instadeath? Lame. Item id? Lame. Death from moving too quickly? Lame. Proper way to play is be a coward for 1-10+ hours of gameplay? Lame.

I'm appreciating ezmode roguelikes and roguelike elements creeping into other games more and more :v:

What is it you claim to like about roguelikes then?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

German Joey posted:

Procedurally-generated exploration combined with tactical combat, unforgiving but fair difficulty, a nice power curve, a colossal amount of content (since new items, monsters, behaviors etc. are easily added when there's no graphics to worry about), et cetera.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

German Joey posted:

What he listed are minor facets of the genre. Specifically the playing as a coward, not every game wants you to do that.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
NM this was a boring post. The feedback/opinions were good though so thx.

I think I'll just keep it and all of the other things I've been messing with regarding stats etc. simple with a difficulty setting.

Want to Identify? Great here's a setting. Never want to bother with it? Great here's a setting.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 28, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Angband's done a lot to make it more tolerable -- almost every item has no bad consequences from just trying it out, and this includes equipment (though "just trying it out" could mean swapping out gear that's keeping you alive). It still has a long way to go on the equipment front, but I think that identification of consumables is at a tolerable point. Want to know what something does? Use it and find out what happens. About the only contextual stuff I can think of is trying potions when injured/poisoned, aiming wands at monsters instead of just into space (but almost all wands are offensive anyway so why wouldn't you?), and reading scrolls in a safe place just in case they're Summon Monster.

In fact, I think literally the only "bad" items in the game are scrolls of Summon Monster/Summon Undead and wands of Haste Monster, and they all show up pretty early when they aren't likely to get you into a lethal situation. Likewise, all equipment is at worst merely unenchanted; there are no curses except for two plot items (the One Ring and Morgoth's crown) which the game outright tells you are cursed as soon as you pick them up.

I tried to get into NetHack awhile ago, and the B/U/C checks and ID-by-price turned me right off it.

Angband is a bit weird. Early on (unless you're playing ironman), you can just sell consumables to the general store to ID them practically for free, and there's no real downside to doing this until important things like stat potions start showing up. In the late game, casters get spells to ID everything for free, and non-casters will have found at least a few rods of Identify. There's also at least one artifact that can be activated for free ID every ten turns.

Also, there are a few more cursed artifacts IIRC, including the Whip of Gothmog. They all ID-on-pickup as cursed, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't played Crawl for some time but last I heard they almost did away with the identification minigame; most things auto-identified on use except for some bizarro effects. Someone might want to correct me on that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played Crawl for some time but last I heard they almost did away with the identification minigame; most things auto-identified on use except for some bizarro effects. Someone might want to correct me on that.

The only things that don't ID on use now are some kinds of jewellery. Consumables all ID on the first use, and some things you had to ID back in the dark ages come pre-identified on the ground.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

megane posted:

The only things that don't ID on use now are some kinds of jewellery. Consumables all ID on the first use, and some things you had to ID back in the dark ages come pre-identified on the ground.

This doesn't mean you even have to try to use it usefully. Zapping a wand at nothing in particular identifies it just as well as shooting a creature, even if it's something like slowing.

There are two other ways things are unidentified in Crawl. One, wands don't tell you the number of charges they have, only the number of times you've seen them zapped, unless you're good at Evocations, the skill that controls evokable items' power. And two, magic decks don't tell you what they're going to do next unless you identify them or use a certain god's power to stack the deck, but decks being unpredictable is kind of their entire thing. You might also have to use them twice to identify the type of deck (if you don't use a scroll) since some cards are in multiple decks and you won't know which one you have on the first try if you draw one.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

megane posted:

I believe this changed in trunk yesterday: https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commit/a5c5f62ab8b6da919c58377e2c251380f65cc653

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

megane posted:

"Huh, I wonder what that 'fiery lamp' is."

"Oh, it's a lamp of fire. Who would have guessed."

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Risk of Rain just got an update and is goddamn fun, for only $3.99 on Steam right now. I've been playing it pretty much all weekend. It's an action-platformer along the lines of Binding of Isaac in terms of how you continue to stack items.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Anyone have any thoughts on Our Darker Purpose? I've been thinking about picking it up, but can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Bouchacha posted:

Risk of Rain just got an update and is goddamn fun, for only $3.99 on Steam right now. I've been playing it pretty much all weekend. It's an action-platformer along the lines of Binding of Isaac in terms of how you continue to stack items.

Didn't even know about the patch and just started playing this again with a friend the other day. Still haven't really gotten around to messing with the artifacts since I lost my save data and have been re-unlocking everything.

I gotta say that the game is way more fun if you have someone to coop with, though. Having to be in single player to unlock the Miner is so drat annoying. Dude keeps refusing to spawn and I don't really feel like playing it by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

So is this actually a real game implemented in excel?