Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Internet Webguy posted:

Well he was under a lot of pressure to find something else to talk about after dropping his Bundy coverage and never bringing it up again.

Yea I imagine this happened when he saw the news and made a panicked phonecall to cancel Bundy's what third appearance on his show and rooted around for a new idea in his wastebin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
He was probably saving "Reefer Madness 2014" for the summer since he just got done with his multi-part piece of hard hitting journalism "Wild Spring Breakers Exposed" a couple of weeks ago.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Lester Shy posted:

He was probably saving "Reefer Madness 2014" for the summer since he just got done with his multi-part piece of hard hitting journalism "Wild Spring Breakers Exposed" a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, that was awesome. "Did you know that college kids do these things called BEER BONGS???"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Lester Shy posted:

You're loving kidding right? This can't be real.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Install Windows posted:

This helps to break out what parts of federal lands are owned by which federal agencies:

And in relation to Bundy and private us of public lands;

A lot of that land that is now USFS and BLM was at one time either privately owned, or up for sale in one way or another, long before those government agencies existed. Either a free for all early on, or later under organized homesteading and massive sales to railroads and other industries.

I can only speak for Oregon, but if you grab a map and start heading out into some of these now government owned lands, you'll find roads named after logging companies, ranches, and even towns that no longer exist. Some of this land is so marginal that it makes no financial sense to own it outright. Some of it was bought just to harvest the trees. And once they were harvested or a fire consumed them all, the companies filed for bankruptcy and vanished, leaving the government to seize it for back taxes.

I can see why this issue of massive public land holdings doesn't really rile up many people out west, as noted in Jagchosis' Slate link a couple pages back. I live about an hour away from BLM land, and it is BLM land because no one in there right mind would pay good money to own the side of some mountain in perpetuity. I'm happy to pay a fee to hunt on it once a year, and the logging companies are happy to lease it for just long enough to clear cut it. Local history is full of cautionary tales about how sales of this land often result in swindles and boondoggles.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Jesus, the fallout for Fox News over Cliven Bundy is hilarious. They're shutting down all mention of Bundy, yeah, but the damage has been done. Turns out a lot of regular viewers weren't too happy with them promoting anti-patriotic white supremacist extremists and a compulsive lying tax cheat.

The sooner Fox News kills its own ratings the better.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 26, 2014

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rexicon1 posted:

You're loving kidding right? This can't be real.

Hannity Uncovers Wild Behavior on Spring Break in Florida

quote:

All this week, Sean Hannity will bring you a special look at Spring Break, as college students from all over the country flock to Florida, Mexico and other beach destinations to engage in wild behavior.

As Ainsley Earhardt found out on her recent trip to Panama City Beach, Florida, the young people there are not shy about drinking and doing drugs in public.

Ainsley recalled that some people were actually having sex on the beach, while girls were flashing the crowds for Mardi Gras-style beads.

I'm like 99% sure this was just an excuse to show a bunch of 65+ year old men who are too old to use a computer and go to bed too early to watch Girls Gone Wild infomercials some shots of women in bikinis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also on the topic of lands, here's a map of every census area that had a population of 0 in the 2010 census:

It covers about 47% of the land area of the US. If you're interested, "urban areas" cover about 3% of the country's land area (while holding 80% of the population, and including suburbs). So the remaining 50% after that contain the rural 20%.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Jesus, the fallout for Fox News over Cliven Bundy is hilarious. They're shutting down all mention of Bundy, yeah, but the damage has been done. Turns out a lot of regular viewers weren't too happy with them promoting anti-patriotic white supremacist extremists and a compulsive lying tax cheat.

The sooner Fox News kills its own ratings the better.

Where are you seeing a genuine backlash on this from Fox viewers? Got any links?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This article is really great. Emphasis mine.

http://www.the-spearhead.com/2014/04/25/cliven-bundy-lost-in-translation/

quote:

What I find highly ironic about the recent condemnation of Cliven Bundy is that he is being pilloried for speaking more like black Americans than urban whites. Even his name would sound black if you made a slight change from “Cliven” to “Clayvon.”

Mr. Bundy’s American English is so archaic that he still uses “Negro” (also used more by blacks than whites) and says “they was able to” and “didn’t get no more.” The content of Bundy’s message, which wouldn’t have been all that controversial if spoken by a black preacher, was deemed hateful partly because he didn’t say it in the proper, coastal elite way.

So I’ll do Bundy a favor and offer a translation.

Original statement to NY Times:

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” Bundy said during one of his daily press conferences. “Because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do? They abort their young children; they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

Newspeak version:

I’d like to address another issue concerning African Americans. Now that they are under government management, how are their lives? Their young women have the highest rate of abortion and their young men the highest rate of incarceration, because they have few job skills and therefore few opportunities. This brings up the question of whether they are really much better off today than under slavery. Indeed, by many measures they are even less free today.

Another untranslated Bundy statement:

Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and the chickens and garden, and the people had something to do? And so, in my mind I’m wondering, are they better off being slaves, in that sense, or better off being slaves to the United States government, in the sense of the subsidies. I’m wondering.

Translation:

How can one say that the federal government serves African Americans any better than plantation owners under slavery, when at least they had families and the opportunity to work the land under that system. Is it really better to be totally helpless and dependent on the state and the US government than the status quo ante?

The translations obviously sound more “acceptable,” but still wouldn’t go over well unless Bundy made it clear that he was not supporting slavery, but rather condemning government management of people’s lives. For some reason, people tend to automatically assume that white people are supporting slavery when they say something is “worse than slavery,” but this is not usually the case. Most white Americans do not, and never have, supported slavery, which was always an elite institution.

Let me present an ancient, and somewhat famous, example of another white man making a “worse than slavery” statement:

Continuous with the Suiones are the nations of the Sitones. They resemble them in all respects but one — woman is the ruling sex. That is the measure of their decline, I will not say below freedom, but even below decent slavery.

Cornelius Tacitus in Germany and her Tribes (ahahaha who says the romans were white? lmao)

Making comparisons to slavery is a rhetorical device, and can work well if you do it the right way. Cliven Bundy’s attempt to do so fell flat because to many people he sounds like a Southerner (although he is in fact a Westerner), and he didn’t realize that white men cannot use it without immediately falling into the black/white trap of dualistic American race thinking.

So I’d recommend that American men should just steer clear of making these comparisons, not because there’s anything inherently wrong with doing so, but because it immediately sets off the shrill screaming we’re hearing now about Bundy, although black people are not among the screamers and don’t seem to care about the Western cattle rancher (which says a lot about what’s really going on).

There’s nothing any more racist about Cliven Bundy than your typical New York SWPL who goes through all sorts of contortions to keep his spoiled progeny out of a “bad school.” In fact, Bundy, who probably has little if any negative interaction with black folks may be more positively inclined toward them than the New Yorker.

I think he genuinely believes that blacks would be better off with a life like his — working the land in God’s country, raising a family and relying on the community rather than an impersonal government for support. Bureaucratically managed city living represents some form of hell to this old rancher, and as a city dweller I can sympathize.

Finally, there’s a lot of stupidity in the widespread condemnation of Bundy by urban liberals. They say he’s “stealing from the government” and taking advantage of taxpayers. Anyone who lives in the inland West knows this is BS. The federal government owns most of the land in this region, and most of it is worthless for most purposes. People like Bundy are actually making it profitable, creating wealth out of what would otherwise be a wasteland. The government and taxpayers benefit from these ranchers. One of the coolest things I’ve seen in the West was a Basque shepherd on horseback in Idaho, grazing his flock in the Targhee National Forest and thereby helping prevent forest fires by clearing underbrush. It was a great example of people working with what they have and helping manage public land without costing the rest of us a cent. When city people condemn these people for doing all that and adding to our tax base, I just shake my head at the small-minded malice of it all.

The most environmentally destructive projects in the West today are mainly large, publicly funded projects like the Grand Coulee Dam and Hanford Nuclear Reservation (there are literally radioactive rabbits hopping around out there) — not independent ranchers. Driving these people out of business by raising grazing fees is not good policy, but it makes it easier for the likes of Harry Reid to push the little people around. Good for Cliven Bundy for standing up to him.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

"Bundy's justified in using the land that doesn't belong to him because he's turning a profit." That's pretty much the exact justification we used to drive Indians off their land.

But who cares! The Flesh is weak! The Dollar is strong! GREED FOR THE GREED THRONE! :unsmigghh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"I cannot understand why "slavery" is such a loaded term in American discourse!" :qq:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That statement is also incongruous with reality as the BLM would in general happily charge him grazing fees except that Bundy decided he didn't need to pay them, because freedom. This is of course simplifying details of the case, such as the area around Bundy's land being closed off to grazing.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That statement is also incongruous with reality as the BLM would happily charge him grazing fees except that Bundy decided he didn't need to pay them, because freedom.

Not to mention he didn't pay them for over ten years, which is a longer period of time than most people would put up with someone illegally grazing on their land.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So what do his unpaid fees total to, anyway? Some sources have him in millions and others thousands.

I'm leaning towards the higher end, since it's a pretty safe assessment that there are always associated penalty fees and fines for non payment.

...Plus whatever that militia stunt costs him.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Oh, I see. So this is a linguistics issue! Those East Coast academics in their ivory towers hate the man cuz he dern't talk good 'nough fer 'em! Otherwise what he said is 100% not racist!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If only he were black, then his overt anti-black racism wouldn't be a problem! :downs:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blarghalt posted:

Not to mention he didn't pay them for over ten years, which is a longer period of time than most people would put up with someone illegally grazing on their land.

"You wouldn't steal a car..."

Surprised no one's tried to make a parody of that yet; but then I imagine tech nerds don't have much time for racist :freep: people.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAvkbVz57g

I went for the last clip. Not sure I can watch the whole show. So much stupidity.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I don't think they will ever figure out that saying that anyone, ever was better off as a slave is the problem. I guess it's the whole "well I didn't say friend of the family" concept of racism.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

lil mortimer posted:

I went for the last clip. Not sure I can watch the whole show. So much stupidity.

I just wish that this would have been the audience when they were discussing it being a "Gateway Drug"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPHlAbAf2I]

"Marijuana is not an addiction. I USED TO SUCK DICK FOR COKE!"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

lil mortimer posted:

It would be really awesome if people would learn that the meaning of "slippery slope" is making a connection between two scenarios without sufficient evidence and that saying things like "legalizing marijuana is a slippery slope to legalizing other drugs" is functionally identical to saying "legalizing marijuana wouldn't inherently lead to legalizing other drugs" and trying to make it as an actual argument makes you sound like a colossal moron coopting academic terminology you don't understand.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

moths posted:

So what do his unpaid fees total to, anyway? Some sources have him in millions and others thousands.
I don't remember where, but early on I remember reading that when his unpaid fines totaled $1mil was when BLM went to court to get authorization to take his cattle in 2013. The logic I saw was they estimated seizing the cattle be about $1mil operation, so it wasn't worth it until he owed that much in fines. The $2.3mil number you see sometimes is the fines plus reimbursing the government for the operation to take his cattle.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Well certainly now he's committed a multitude of criminal offenses. If only the sheriff would come arrest him, being, as he is, the highest legal authority in the dat gum country.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/unedited-tape-bundy-emerges-sheds-light-racist-remarks

Guys, it's ok. We just took his comments out of context.

quote:

We've progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and we sure don't want to go back. We sure don't want the colored people to go back to that point. We sure don't want these Mexican people to go back to that point. And we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way.

Let me tell, talk to you about the Mexicans, and these are just things I know about the negroes...

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Why is it that any publication with the word 'truth' in its title is always a lovely rag?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

lil mortimer posted:

This is literally the biggest collection of morons I have ever seen. When that lady says compare Miley Cyrus from her Disney years to now and look how drugs affected her I laughed out loud. All I can think was you mean she found a way to make a poo poo load of money trolling people like you? It's so bizarre to see how pervasive anti weed propaganda is. That lady saying well drinking is ok but not weed, yet she didn't seem to have any reasons why.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I think a black person that came out and said literally "I think black people would be better off under slavery" would be laughed out of the room just as quickly as a white person who said that.

Unrelated question - what's with the BLM-owned land going all the way up the California coastline?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Rokstar posted:

You know, I think a black person that came out and said literally "I think black people would be better off under slavery" would be laughed out of the room just as quickly as a white person who said that.

Unrelated question - what's with the BLM-owned land going all the way up the California coastline?

I don't know if it really includes the ocean but my understanding is that all beaches, at least on the west coast, are open to the public. You might have difficulty getting access in some places though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Rokstar posted:

The entire coast of California is a national monument.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Blarghalt posted:

Why is it that any publication with the word 'truth' in its title is always a lovely rag?
The same reason any facebook or LinkedIn profile that lists education as "School of Life" (or any variation) belongs to an idiot.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it really includes the ocean but my understanding is that all beaches, at least on the west coast, are open to the public. You might have difficulty getting access in some places though.

On that map linked earlier, it looks like that strip of BLM land is actually the ocean, and not the beach. Probably just means that the BLM manages fishing or oil drilling.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Also on the topic of lands, here's a map of every census area that had a population of 0 in the 2010 census:

It covers about 47% of the land area of the US. If you're interested, "urban areas" cover about 3% of the country's land area (while holding 80% of the population, and including suburbs). So the remaining 50% after that contain the rural 20%.

Wow - Fort Hood really stands out there. So do Bragg and Benning.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Truthdig was alright for a while before they started trying to be Huffington Post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

On that map linked earlier, it looks like that strip of BLM land is actually the ocean, and not the beach. Probably just means that the BLM manages fishing or oil drilling.

They manage any outcroppings from low tide line to 12 miles out, which ends up including 607 acres of actual land along the entire 840 mile coast.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I knew Alaska was huge and uninhabited, but jeez, that's a whole lot of land with literally no one living in it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blarghalt posted:

Darn near twenty.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Blarghalt posted:

Not to mention the government's grazing fees are less than 1/10th of what private landowners charge. Private owners charge about $15 per cow, the gov't rate is something like a dollar per cow, just laughably cheap.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Jesus, and he owes millions? How many cows does he have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Um yeah, the William Randolph Hearst Corp agrees enthusiastically about the access issue. They own a huge coastal ranch in central CA. There's some made-up bullshit called the California Coastal Trail, and to thru-hike it, you have to risk getting your rear end kicked by the ranch hands on this loving place. Which the trail guide points out, and recommends you hide your tent rather well.