Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Now that we have fired and scapegoated the DRUG ADDICT, everything is magically better!

Well man it's not a shock to think that getting a violent meth head, who can't keep control of his habit and scares off tables, off the team might be a pretty good start to fixing your work staff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yardbomb posted:

Well man it's not a shock to think that getting a violent meth head, who can't keep control of his habit and scares off tables, off the team might be a pretty good start to fixing your work staff. :v:

Obviously, but its just a lovely way to frame the episode. The owner was shown to be an incompetent raging bitch, but it just really struck a nerve when she blindly referred to him as a cancer while totally ignoring the fact that she is more responsible for her failure than anyone else.

I don't think that the show was portraying it that way, but it just makes me furious knowing that this lady is blaming her entire failure on a hosed up kid. If it wasn't him, the restaurant would have been failing for 100 other reasons, but yeah, it's the addict's fault.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I mean, at least the walk in coolers seemed pretty clean and organized, other than the voluminous amount of pre-cooked pasta and all the frozen products. So maybe that means she's not totally clueless.

Although Amy's Baking Company was pretty clean too...

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Obviously, but its just a lovely way to frame the episode. The owner was shown to be an incompetent raging bitch, but it just really struck a nerve when she blindly referred to him as a cancer while totally ignoring the fact that she is more responsible for her failure than anyone else.

I don't think that the show was portraying it that way, but it just makes me furious knowing that this lady is blaming her entire failure on a hosed up kid. If it wasn't him, the restaurant would have been failing for 100 other reasons, but yeah, it's the addict's fault.

violent meth heads are bad not only because they are violent and bad at their job but also scare the gently caress out of their staff. Finally getting rid of him would make a big a difference not only to the restaurant but the staff as well pretty much immediately. Feel like I shouldn't have to explain this.

gibbsocracy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
drat, this episode was the quintessential "my dream is to run a restaurant" person who basically liquidates their entire life savings and opens a restaurant expecting it to run smoothly because they have so many great ideas.

It sucks for her daughter that she's basically press-ganged into working at her mother's restaurant and it's clearly a sinking ship.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I can't believe the owner was like "I have no idea he was high at work." Jesus Christ what a colossal retard.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
She knew. She seemed to me to be a compulsive liar.

This show has to be two hours long. If you cut away all the recapping, I bet a 2 hour episode runs a little over an hour, which is close to what the Uk episodes were.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw man, Julie seemed so fundamentally broken that I was pretty bummed that she actually turned it around at the end :smith: I was hoping she'd go back on her newfound energy and Mangia Mangia would go back to using microwaves and frozen food and shut down as a result. Or that Trevor had come back claiming to be clean but actually wasn't and sabotaged the whole place.

I guess they didn't end up taking out that loving drive-thru window after all :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

She knew. She seemed to me to be a compulsive liar.

This show has to be two hours long. If you cut away all the recapping, I bet a 2 hour episode runs a little over an hour, which is close to what the Uk episodes were.

Yeah I actually enjoyed this episode - they actually got into doing some things that the UK version did all the time, like Gordon teaching the clueless owner how to cook.

I wonder if they actually always film that kind of stuff and it just doesn't make it into the edit.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
That was a much better episode than Amy's. I'd even say this holds its own against the best of UK KN.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
There was a Yelp review for Mangia Mangia complaining that they didn't like Ramsay's new menu. Looks like the owner is already going back:

quote:

Comment from Julie W. of Mangia Mangia Italian Cuisine
Business Owner 11/23/2013 Sorry you had a bad experience. We have changed the Chicken Parmesan back to the way we had it before, I think you are confusing the price, Chicken Parmesan is $14.00. I was told they comped your whole ticket, if my staff did not would you let me know, so I can figure out what happened. Again I'm sorry, It just took a bit to get everything to where we found would work blending the new menu with the old. We added soup or salad to all the entrees at dinner along with our old Ciabatta bread. And the lunch menu has soup or salad with the pasta entrees. Thanks for the feedback!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Honestly, the vibe that I got from that community event Gordon threw was that the people in that community loved the poo poo out of awful frozen poo poo and were willing to pay a shitload of money to eat it in a restaurant instead of heating it up at home. I know that they were saying otherwise on camera, but that town is like easily the ugliest I think I've seen on KN, including the UK version.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well the country as a whole loves microwaved "Italian" food at places at the Olive Garden

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've worked as a prep cook at my town's local beloved boxcar diner. A lot of things are frozen, and if it's not microwaved chances are it's fried. I don't know too much about diners across America but given my experience I'm pretty sure that microwaved food is the norm.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

gibbsocracy posted:

violent meth heads are bad not only because they are violent and bad at their job but also scare the gently caress out of their staff. Finally getting rid of him would make a big a difference not only to the restaurant but the staff as well pretty much immediately. Feel like I shouldn't have to explain this.

Oh poo poo, thank you for explaining it! I finally get it thanks to forums user gibbsocracy!

Did you not read what I said? Obviously he didn't need to be working, but it was lovely of the owner to blame him for all of the problems she faced. She outright called him out as the problem when clearly he wasn't the only thing. My whole point is that it is easy to blame an addict for all of your problems instead of owning up to them like an adult.

Also, apparently I am crazy because I didn't find her daughter to be sympathetic in the least. That evaporated the moment she turned on Kevin, who seemed to be one of the only employees who actually cared.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Also, apparently I am crazy because I didn't find her daughter to be sympathetic in the least. That evaporated the moment she turned on Kevin, who seemed to be one of the only employees who actually cared.

We're both nuts then because in my eyes she did nothing but shitstir and blow smoke up her mother's rear end. Her boundless negativity would have her fired on this show were she not the owner's daughter. Also, there are approximately zero people who have dated meth addicts who weren't at least users themselves.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've worked as a prep cook at my town's local beloved boxcar diner. A lot of things are frozen, and if it's not microwaved chances are it's fried. I don't know too much about diners across America but given my experience I'm pretty sure that microwaved food is the norm.

That seems to be a much more common thing on the US kitchen nightmares then the UK. With the UK it was usually more of a problem of the restaurant being poorly managed/conceived i.e a curry house with with a pick and mix menu, a pub serving elaborate and complicated food, and my favorite The Granary, opened by a moron who had such modern British classics on his menu such as "Shark Steak".

One of my favorites was Zekes, where the old owner had to sell after Katarina and the new couple that bought it forced the same chefs to use frozen shrimp and other poo poo ingredients to cut costs, in addition to creating their own lovely oyster dish and putting it on the menu. A popular restaurant with the same cooking staff was turned into a shithole because the new owners insisted on everything being done their way.

Ego seems to by and large be the biggest problem in the US series. All these owners/managers get personally offended when Ramsay tells them "This isn't how you run a restaurant" and take every criticism of the food as personal attacks on them.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I think it's possible to see a much greater variety of problems but I think the casting for this show just has a very specific type of drama.

They seem to look for owners who could just as easily be contestants on hell's kitchen.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

pentyne posted:

Ego seems to by and large be the biggest problem in the US series. All these owners/managers get personally offended when Ramsay tells them "This isn't how you run a restaurant" and take every criticism of the food as personal attacks on them.

That and in Julie's case...a nasty case of narcissism. Notice how she filled up her kitchen with young men/boys and did nothing to protect her daughter? Now wonder the daughter turned on Kevin... she's just trying to make her mother happy and maybe get some positive attention. I mean, seriously! What sort of person who calls themselves a mother would be so loving cavalier with the safety of her own child. A narcissist who is jealous of the daughter and who probably in her spare time writes slashfic featuring the boys in the kitchen.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I don't understand why everyone seems so surprised about a guy who's head cook at a restaurant (albeit a lovely one) doing meth. To be honest I always had in my head that it wasn't too uncommon, just that others control it better than that guy.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wonder if the editors just never show the part where the contestants are like "Your pizza wasn't that great, it was just omitted from the team and therefore Ramsay and co is going to say it was the pizza that would have won us the challenge. Don't you watch this show??"

Edit: also a lot of people working in the kitchen do hard and soft drugs where I've worked, especially in non chains. Seems pretty normal across the USA and I say whatever; some of those weekend shifts are brutal! (I didn't watch the ep yet, i'm sure the guy fired was probably a poo poo head about it).

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 27, 2014

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

RustyTrombone posted:

I wonder if the editors just never show the part where the contestants are like "Your pizza wasn't that great, it was just omitted from the team and therefore Ramsay and co is going to say it was the pizza that would have won us the challenge. Don't you watch this show??"

Edit: also a lot of people working in the kitchen do hard and soft drugs where I've worked, especially in non chains. Seems pretty normal across the USA and I say whatever; some of those weekend shifts are brutal! (I didn't watch the ep yet, i'm sure the guy fired was probably a poo poo head about it).

He copped to it in the end and admitted he needed help (to which Gordon said "go home and get treatment" instead of offering help weirdly enough) but the way the show was edited it made it seem like his drug use was the only problem in the restaurant and everything magically got better after that. But yeah when I was younger working in restaurants, if people weren't on drugs they were drunk basically. It's really not uncommon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm pretty sure Ramsay's even mentioned in a few episodes of KN (including the UK ones) that drug use is pretty prevalent in the industry. Even being a head chef of a well-run restaurant can be a super lovely job, and most aren't run well. However, it's pretty undeniable that when you bring it into the workplace, it's gone past the point where willful ignorance is a viable option.

Rather have a meth head make my meal than a drunk, though. Both are about as likely to throw poo poo and hit people, but at least the tweaker's got an eye for detail.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ramsay's brother is an addict so he is usually more sympathetic towards them.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So I've never worked in food service before but if the waiter brings out my plate and warns me that it is hot, is it a good bet it just came out of the microwave?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Flyinglemur posted:

So I've never worked in food service before but if the waiter brings out my plate and warns me that it is hot, is it a good bet it just came out of the microwave?

No. I've had waiters warn me at really nice restaurants. It's proper fine dining procedure to warm the dinner plates. Perhaps they might've just overwarmed the plates.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Also sometimes the food is finished by baking it in the dish in a salamander or oven. Most dishware doesn't contain any moisture for a microwave to heat.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Okay, I'm finally gonna do it after talking about it since Season 1. This weekend is my wife's birthday and I'm going to loving make her beef wellington. Any advice from people in this thread who have made it before?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Brocktoon posted:

Okay, I'm finally gonna do it after talking about it since Season 1. This weekend is my wife's birthday and I'm going to loving make her beef wellington. Any advice from people in this thread who have made it before?

Take some from the man himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXIPhxL5XA

And follow it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIesCd4I4hU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure both of those clips are from The F Word, which is definitely a must-watch Ramsay series.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure both of those clips are from The F Word, which is definitely a must-watch Ramsay series.

I think that linked one is from one of his Christmas specials; I don't recall seeing that one on The F Word. The F Word one showed up in the sidebar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1orR1HGv0s

The beef wellington also shows up in Gordon Behind Bars.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Janelle: "Hey Kevin, let's talk about all the times you haven't showed up to work because you're HIGH!"

Kevin: "Two times"

Best part of the episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bobfromsales posted:

I think it's possible to see a much greater variety of problems but I think the casting for this show just has a very specific type of drama.

They seem to look for owners who could just as easily be contestants on hell's kitchen.

IIRC, season 1 douchebag "30 FLAVOR COMBINATIONS" Sebastian of the now-defunct "Sebastian's" claimed he originally auditioned to be a Hell's Kitchen contestant, but they turned him down and offered to put him on Kitchen Nightmares instead. Knowing that fat gently caress, that could very well be total bullshit though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raditts posted:

IIRC, season 1 douchebag "30 FLAVOR COMBINATIONS" Sebastian of the now-defunct "Sebastian's" claimed he originally auditioned to be a Hell's Kitchen contestant, but they turned him down and offered to put him on Kitchen Nightmares instead. Knowing that fat gently caress, that could very well be total bullshit though.

It's really irritating that the only owners who talk about their perspective are also the shittiest ones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rudager posted:

I don't understand why everyone seems so surprised about a guy who's head cook at a restaurant (albeit a lovely one) doing meth. To be honest I always had in my head that it wasn't too uncommon, just that others control it better than that guy.

Maybe I wouldn't be if the head cook was Anthony Bourdain, but I wasn't under the impression that people in the restaurant business being raging junkies was a common thing.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Gordon Ramsay Sparks Hair Transplant Rumors

:stare:

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

I've been making it for my wife on special occasions. The last time I made it I also made a savory crepe to place between the puff pastry and the prosciutto since I always had issues with the puff pastry getting too wet. Otherwise the youtube links that have been posted are great.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I don't know if you have a Wegmans in your area, but their website has some awesome recipes.

Beef Wellington

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
What's this, a sorority dinner?

It's a setup for the men to lose again from the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Keys Man
Oct 24, 2007
Just my package...
I still can't believe Ralph told Ramsay "I haven't made a mistake yet" after Ramsay nominated him, and SURVIVED.

...Oh, what am I talking about, it's Hell's Kitchen. I perfectly believe it.