Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So, where are the Runaways now? I know Nico and Chase are in Avengers Arena/Underground, but what about everyone else?
In hiatus until an event comic where they can be unceremoniously killed for shock value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

In hiatus until an event comic where they can be unceremoniously killed for shock value.

Is that why everyone hates Avengers Arena? Lot of Darkhawk and Red Robin fans out there?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Endless Mike posted:

Mettle and Juston were the only significant deaths of that series (at least as far as wider Marvel continuity is concerned). Darkhawk survived and all the Darkhawk fans can simmer down. Victor was in Avengers AI, and they got some cameos in the final issues of Young Avengers, but haven't really gotten a proper group appearance since Avengers Academy.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hey, I'm reading Avengers books but not single character books at the moment, and Carol just became Captain Marvel. There wasn't a power change or inciting incident was there, just Carol decided to change her uniform and start calling herself Captain rather than Ms. Marvel, right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Oh hey, I'm reading Avengers books but not single character books at the moment, and Carol just became Captain Marvel. There wasn't a power change or inciting incident was there, just Carol decided to change her uniform and start calling herself Captain rather than Ms. Marvel, right?

Yeah that's right. To keep the name Captain Marvel they need to keep a Captain Marvel book in print so she got a name change.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it was a good call because her Cap. Marvel costume is cool as hell.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, in the first issue of the DeConnick run, she just says, "Screw it, I'm taking the name."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cap recommends it earlier in the issue, I think.

Or maybe that's in Avengers Assemble. He recommends it somewhere, anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Cap recommends it earlier in the issue, I think.

Or maybe that's in Avengers Assemble. He recommends it somewhere, anyway.

Yeah I went and read the very first part of that #1 to kind of see what the deal was, but she was already in her new costume and Cap's like "You should be Captain Marvel". Is there a comic where she decides to get the new uni or does she just show up in it? Also, did this have anything to do with the brief return of Mar-vell in that weird AvX New Avengers storyline?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What do you suppose the secret that the Deadpool Original Sin tie-in solicit alludes to is?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What do you suppose the secret that the Deadpool Original Sin tie-in solicit alludes to is?

Deadpool Original Sin Teaser posted:

"While Deadpool stands culpable for any number of crimes, misdemeanors and breaches of common decency, his handlers in the Weapon Plus program could boast far dirtier deeds. When they made the Merc with a Mouth, they erased his past. Years later, Wade Wilson sifts through the collateral damage. Who killed his parents, and what would he do if he learned the truth?"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

zoux posted:

Also, did this have anything to do with the brief return of Mar-vell in that weird AvX New Avengers storyline?

There was another one? Was this one also a Skrull?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

There was another one? Was this one also a Skrull?

Some Kree dudes resurrected him with part of the Mkrann crystal and they wanted to use the Phoneix force to give them ultimate power but it was actually just one dude who was mind controlling everyone on the Kree planet.

It was weird.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zoux posted:

Some Kree dudes resurrected him with part of the Mkrann crystal and they wanted to use the Phoneix force to give them ultimate power but it was actually just one dude who was mind controlling everyone on the Kree planet.

It was weird.

"Comics: It Was Weird"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

So... He killed them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I keep seeing this "AR" in the corner of some panels in certain Marvel books I'm reading, what the hell is that? They're digital versions if it makes a difference.

While I'm talking acronyms, who is VC and why do they own all the letterers? Why are just letterers and not other artists under some outside corporate umbrella?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I keep seeing this "AR" in the corner of some panels in certain Marvel books I'm reading, what the hell is that? They're digital versions if it makes a difference.

It stands for "augmented reality". I gather that you can do something with the digital versions of the comics where you get extra pages that aren't in the printed books.

zoux posted:

While I'm talking acronyms, who is VC and why do they own all the letterers? Why are just letterers and not other artists under some outside corporate umbrella?

Virtual Calligraphy is a lettering studio. I don't know why just letters are all handled by one organization. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect posted:

It stands for "augmented reality". I gather that you can do something with the digital versions of the comics where you get extra pages that aren't in the printed books.

Virtual Calligraphy is a lettering studio. I don't know why just letters are all handled by one organization. :shrug:

Ah, Unlimited was touting something like that on the app home page, bit every time I tried to download one of those special comics it crashed my iPad. It shows up in odd titles I'm reading but I don't know how to activate it or even what I'd be activating!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

No, they're for the print versions. You scan them with a phone or tablet or whatever.

You can also scan your tablet with another tablet I guess but make sure nobody is looking.

I read that Marvel's own app lets you just activate the AR on the device itself though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are colouring studios too.

Pretty sure Hi-Fi isn't a guy.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Has there ever been a combined version of Thor and Iron Man called Thorium Man?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

There are colouring studios too.

Pretty sure Hi-Fi isn't a guy.

How sure? Pretty sure it's one colorist and one business person.

http://masterdigitalcolor.com/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

No, they're for the print versions. You scan them with a phone or tablet or whatever.

You can also scan your tablet with another tablet I guess but make sure nobody is looking.

I read that Marvel's own app lets you just activate the AR on the device itself though.

Not being able to just click or tap on the AR button if you are using Comixology or Marvel Unlimited is really dumb.

Related, I've heard the Marvel Unlimited app for Android is really bad. Is that still true?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've heard the Marvel Unlimited app for Android is really bad. Is that still true?

It just got updated yesterday and is much better.
Used to have problems in not filling the screen and where zooming in would just enlarge the full screen pixels, which made double page spreads unreadable, but it's totally fine now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What does "separation" mean? I've seen that credit in some recent-ish comics and I assume it's some kind of digital thing but I can't really suss out more than that.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There was an issue of maybe Batwoman or Detective Comics with Batwoman a few years ago, and the villain was an Alice in Wonderland sort of girl. The layouts were really great and the art was really cool. I lost it and now I can't figure out which issue it was. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

WEREWAIF posted:

There was an issue of maybe Batwoman or Detective Comics with Batwoman a few years ago, and the villain was an Alice in Wonderland sort of girl. The layouts were really great and the art was really cool. I lost it and now I can't figure out which issue it was. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

That's Batwoman:Elegy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Opopanax posted:

That's Batwoman:Elegy

Thank you so much

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

McSpanky posted:

What does "separation" mean? I've seen that credit in some recent-ish comics and I assume it's some kind of digital thing but I can't really suss out more than that.

In the old days, comics were printed with four colors, one at a time. A separator was in charge of splitting up the artwork into those colors so the printer knew which areas were red, yellow, blue, or a combination of the three.

In a modern comic, you don't need to do any of that. I think in the modern context, it's the same thing as a flatterer, someone who preps the artwork digitally to make it easier for the colorist to select different objects or layers while they do their job.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatter

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WEREWAIF posted:

Thank you so much

That art continues into the New 52 Batwoman series. The artist, JH Williams takes over writing it from Greg Rucka and only gets time to draw every other arc, but it stays pretty good till he leaves at #24.
There's a great Wonder Woman team up in there with pages like these:

:allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 27, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
When the Sandman: Overture HC comes out, ten years from now, it's gonna look so great.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Teenage Fansub posted:

That art continues into the New 52 Batwoman series. The artist, JH Williams takes over writing it from Greg Rucka and only gets time to draw every other arc, but it stays pretty good till he leaves at #24.
There's a great Wonder Woman team up in there with pages like these:

:allears:

That's really cool, I'll take a look, thanks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm reading through the old Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and in issue 25 the Hulk guest stars, but he keeps referring to himself as Bob Banner instead of Bruce. What's up with that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I'm reading through the old Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and in issue 25 the Hulk guest stars, but he keeps referring to himself as Bob Banner instead of Bruce. What's up with that?

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/11/03/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-23/

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Bruce Banner got a new first name due to Stan Lee’s forgetfulness.

In the early days of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee was writing a lot of comic books. Not only was he writing a lot of comic books, but he was writing a lot of CHARACTERS, as some of the books he was writing had two features in them (like Tales to Astonish). As a result, it was often difficult for him to remember character’s names. This was the genesis of the alliterative name for Marvel characters. It is easier to remember names when the first and last names both begin with the same letter.

However, even this did not always keep Lee from occasionally slipping up. One notable error occured about two and a half years into Marvel’s existence, where Lee began referring (for more than a couple of months) to the Incredible Hulk’s alter ego as “Bob Banner” rather than the “Bruce Banner” that he was originally named.

Responding to criticism of the goof, Stan Lee, in issue #28 of the Fantastic Four, laid out how he was going to handle the situation, “”There’s only one thing to do-we’re not going to take the cowardly way out. From now on his name is Robert Bruce Banner-so we can’t go wrong no matter WHAT we call him!”

And that is the name he still has today, although they later changed the Robert to David for the television program.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Skwirl posted:

Stan Lee's memory is notoriously lovely. That's why so many of the major Marvel characters have alliterative names: it helped him remember them. This is a case where that backfired. According to one interview I remember seeing/reading, there was a TV personality at that time named Bob Banner, and that creeped into the script in the Hulk on occasion. Of course, that could just be more Stan Lee bullshit and he really just forgot. Anyway, that consistent error is the reason why Hulk's name is officially Robert Bruce Banner.

It was hardly isolated to the Hulk, though: there are issues of Spider-Man where he's called Peter Palmer, and, hell, there's a famous panel where Doctor Octopus calls him Superman. Ultimately, it's just mistakes. There were only a handful of guys doing as many strips as they could as quickly as they could.

edit: Welp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok I'm reading Infinity today and I just had my wisdom teeth this morning out so I'm not 100% on my mental game, but I'm confused . The builders are absolutely wrecking the combined fleets of every one ever and reduce them to a fraction of their strength. Then Thor throws a hammer through one dude and suddenly the tide is completely turned. Did I miss something in a tiein or is this just a standard "now we can win because we believe (even though we're down to a tenth of our strength)" comic book deal?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a rallying thing plus the fact that they got the Kree back on their side.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

It was hardly isolated to the Hulk, though: there are issues of Spider-Man where he's called Peter Palmer

Bahahahaha. I knew about the Bob Banner thing but this is truly great.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I can see it now Hulk Original Sin: turns out bruce has a brother named Bob and he's also a green goliath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Ok I'm reading Infinity today and I just had my wisdom teeth this morning out so I'm not 100% on my mental game, but I'm confused . The builders are absolutely wrecking the combined fleets of every one ever and reduce them to a fraction of their strength. Then Thor throws a hammer through one dude and suddenly the tide is completely turned. Did I miss something in a tiein or is this just a standard "now we can win because we believe (even though we're down to a tenth of our strength)" comic book deal?

That was the first time anyone saw one of them die close up I think. Many of their ships had been destroyed, but the occupied planets started rising up and overthrowing the Builders.

muscles like this? posted:

It was a rallying thing plus the fact that they got the Kree back on their side.

That too.