Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't know so much that I would like to see a bunch of rehashing of old jokes, but some of the callbacks and continuity are pretty funny to me as long as they are not overused. For instance, I might not want to have another meeseeks-centric episode, but I would get a kick out of seeing some interdimentional TV in the background every now and again, without anything really pointing to it.

Say, have the main focus is on a couple of the main characters doing something in the foreground while the TV just happens to be off to the side in the back playing some wierd version of Saturday Night Live or whatever just like it would likely be in a regular household, but wierder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone got a gif of Summer whistling while her parents get down in Cronenberg land?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Twenty Four posted:

I don't know so much that I would like to see a bunch of rehashing of old jokes, but some of the callbacks and continuity are pretty funny to me as long as they are not overused. For instance, I might not want to have another meeseeks-centric episode, but I would get a kick out of seeing some interdimentional TV in the background every now and again, without anything really pointing to it.

Say, have the main focus is on a couple of the main characters doing something in the foreground while the TV just happens to be off to the side in the back playing some wierd version of Saturday Night Live or whatever just like it would likely be in a regular household, but wierder.

Exactly this. I wouldn't even mind seeing a Meeseeks in the background cleaning. If a Meeseeks never speaks on this show again, that'll be okay! As for the inter-dimensional tv, I think we are also on the same page.

I wouldn't mind seeing it every other episode or so for a quick visual/improv gag. But, I think they'd be hard-pressed to get an entire episode out of that and don't really see the comparison to the Anthology of Interest from Futurama. The AoI episodes were vignettes that stood on their own, while the b-plot of Rixty Mintutes is really what sold the episode for me and tied it all together. It will be hard to recreate that and not just make a new Rixty Minutes feel like it is crow-barred in for the sake of being self-referential and masturbatory.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Exactly this. I wouldn't even mind seeing a Meeseeks in the background cleaning. If a Meeseeks never speaks on this show again, that'll be okay! As for the inter-dimensional tv, I think we are also on the same page.

What if it's a one-per-season Halloween Special/Anthology of Interest kind of thing?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Someone earlier asked if the Meeseek was Rick's invention. I have no idea but the clippings on Rick's room in Close Rick counters of the Rick Kind seem to suggest he may have had some sort of hand inventing it. Alongside that are pictures of his spaceship, portal gun and Abradolf Lincler but also Dr. Bloom and Zigerions so :shrug:

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Prepare to be emancipated

from your non-Hodgkin lymphoma!

~Lincler, from the reality where Hitler cured cancer.

Just don't think about it.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Someone earlier asked if the Meeseek was Rick's invention. I have no idea but the clippings on Rick's room in Close Rick counters of the Rick Kind seem to suggest he may have had some sort of hand inventing it. Alongside that are pictures of his spaceship, portal gun and Abradolf Lincler but also Dr. Bloom and Zigerions so :shrug:

Not to mention the ooze from TMNT, it seems.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In season 2 they go to a Ball Fondlers convention and Mr Meseeks crosses over from The Darkest Timeline.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

prefect posted:

I was weirded out when I realized the mom was voiced by Becky, one of the kids from "Roseanne". :corsair:

I think you're the first person I've ever heard say "Oh Becky from Roseanne" and not "Oh Elliot from Scrubs"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

VideoTapir posted:

What if it's a one-per-season Halloween Special/Anthology of Interest kind of thing?

Not that I have any say in the matter, but I don't think there is really room for something like that in a ten episode season without a really good subplot to tie it together. Maybe if they get a larger order, or in season three, but two of those in twenty-one episodes is over much. The writing has been so clever and on point I would be really disappointed if they have to regurgitate old material so quickly.

They've already established enough continuity and interesting characters that there are other things I would rather see: Evil Morty, the return of Lincler, Morty's son, Council of Ricks, Bird Person...hell, I already think that list is a little much if they dedicate an episode to each one.

I think the IDTV's best hope is as a recurring improv gag. Give it 30 seconds every other episode and move on.

Or, who knows, maybe they are clever and on point enough to pull it off twice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever heard say "Oh Becky from Roseanne" and not "Oh Elliot from Scrubs"

Not even that, but replacement Becky from Roseanne

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I binged through this show in about 4 hours and man it really surprised in how funny and clever it can be. I also like the parts where Rick's the supreme smartass of cartoon history and he makes me laugh

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

How many planets are on that map of the solar system? :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadeoses posted:

How many planets are on that map of the solar system? :v:

Duh, they just grouped Neptune and Uranus together on one slice. because they're both lovely, good for nothing planets.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The other day my differential equations professor said there are 9 planets.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

Clearly he is a whore for the Plutonic Mining Lobby

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

nooneofconsequence posted:

Are all the people on your planet that stupid?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I binged through this show in about 4 hours and man it really surprised in how funny and clever it can be. I also like the parts where Rick's the supreme smartass of cartoon history and he makes me laugh

Your post with Jim Silly Balls av above made me think: Rick is Professor Farnsworth + Bender.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

WickedHate posted:

Are all the people on your planet that stupid?

I am, for sure.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Of course Rick still sleeps on a cot after a year of living with them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

door Door door posted:

COnsidering that he can literally flip a switch and *belch* end up in another dimension where houses *bel-belch* are made out of hookers and space cocaine, I don't think he gives a poo poo what his room in a lovely, non-hooker house is like, Morty.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Twenty Four posted:

I think in Something Ricked you can see an episode of Ball Fondlers on their tv screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Metropolis posted:

Despite the weirdness of Rick and Morty and the continuity, I think they do a pretty good job of creating new stuff for each episode that is never referenced again and shouldn't be. For instance Mr. Meseeks has basically been taken to the extreme already within their first episode with them. There's not really anything left to explore, either comedy or story-wise, unlike the inter-dimensional TV which is still sitting in their living room and has unlimited possibilities content-wise. It will be hard for them to come up with a good reason for the characters to be watching interdimensional TV with fascination again. We've already seen Rick just chilling out watching Ball Fondlers though. I think it would be a funny way to insert background gags at least.
I like the idea that they now have unlimited possibilities but just watch Ball Fondlers all the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

door Door door posted:

Look at that cot, it's neatly made, corners all tucked in. They set it up for him the day he arrived and he's never slept in it once. Rick doesn't sleep, and if he ever does it's not in a bed. At most he'll take the odd power blackout between binges.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

japtor posted:

I like the idea that they now have unlimited possibilities but just watch Ball Fondlers all the time.

You can't improve on perfection.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Look at that cot, it's neatly made, corners all tucked in. They set it up for him the day he arrived and he's never slept in it once. Rick doesn't sleep, and if he ever does it's not in a bed. At most he'll take the odd power blackout between binges.

What, so everyone's supposed to sleep every single night now? You realise that night time makes up half of all time?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Skippy McPants posted:

Great, now he's Judge Holden.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
I just rewatched the season finale and I must say abradolph lincoler is my favorite side character in a cartoon ever, hope he comes back in season two.
so glad i watched again too I missed the abradolph first name when i watched it the first time, that added to the hilarity.

6-year plan man fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 28, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This was posted in the funny pictures thread.

Looks like someone's been to the fake door salesman.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what I was looking at.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just looked up the animated Doc & Mharti shorts and they are terrible. It's super obvious that Roiland cannot write and that Ridley & Harmon just keep justin on the rails, so to speak.

I'm so glad about this, because this show is unreal

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bust Rodd posted:

I just looked up the animated Doc & Mharti shorts and they are terrible. It's super obvious that Roiland cannot write and that Ridley & Harmon just keep justin on the rails, so to speak.

A friend explained to me that the point of the Doc and Mharti shorts is Roiland tried to make something so offensive that he would be sued by the Back to the Future people.

Still loving terrible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Glad we finally have an expert critic on Roiland's writing in this thread to let us know the true secret formula behind Rick and Morty's success...

Although I did like his House of Cosbys thing a while back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did you watch them? I mean I could come up with a nice way of saying his writing is sophomoric and his humor is scatalogical and therefore not nearly as funny, but it's just garbage.

Except when he has Racist Pedophile Garfield show up. That was awesome.

It's worth mentioning that they are from around '06 or so so he's hopefully better now and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot of creative input on this show but he just did not leave a good impression on me as a solo act.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 28, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Made this for a buddy on his birthday. These characters are fun as hell to draw.

(my bubble lettering sucks, I know)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm disappointed in you for not telling him to get wriggety wriggety wrecked.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

Made this for a buddy on his birthday. These characters are fun as hell to draw.

(my bubble lettering sucks, I know)

I hope on the inside ofthat card it just said "I don't give a gently caress!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm disappointed in you for not telling him to get wriggety wriggety wrecked.

I did in the message part. :D

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You should have made a cake with your drawing on it :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cakes are for loses!

But on a dark note, I found my first slash art for the show. It's of Mr. Goldenfold :nms: anal raping Morty while he cries:nms: Uh. Yey for fans, right?

But at the same time, this was made by the R&M crew, so I don't know.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ziBGsiO.jpg :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wonder how many shmeckles Morty spent on those big fake boobies.

• Locked thread