Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/why-3d-doesnt-work-and-never-will-case-closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hm yes in the modern cinema. wikipedia writes,

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

video signals into yr eyes wouldn't do it either unless the video machine has a way of reading the movements of your eyes and perfectly mimicking the natural changes in perspective and focus that would come with those motions. the nasty disconnect with stereoscopic 3d happens because the stereoscopic films only give you one of several cues you need, while all the others are saying 2d. video signals would do the same. holograms create the actual light pattern of the 3d object and let you look at it as if it were really there, so there's no mental dishonesty

like have you ever seen a really good transmissive hologram? the kind where you have to look at a glass window into a laser beam to see it? poo poo is phenomenal. it's like looking at the real objects just sitting there lit in speckly red light. if you're in new england the mit museum has a bunch of great ones.

Honestly it probably has a lot to do with the framerate too. if u have not seen 48fps 3d you really should because it is a world of difference in terms of watchability

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i've got two TMP35 temperature sensors fresh out of the bag. +5v on the correct pin, gnd on the correct pin. i know this because it's not on fire. readout on Vout - 0.0 volts. both of them do this :wtc:

i stuck an LED in place of the sensor with the same alignment and it lit up so it's not the breadboard. tested the analog input pin, it works. idgi

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The TMP35 outputs the temp in millivolts. Look at the SparkFun page for the TMP36 (beware that the TMP35 has a different temperature range than the TMP36 shown on the page, so the math shown in the comments won't work as-is since the sensor will output a different voltage for the same temp). Direct link to the TMP35/36/37 datasheet. According to the datasheet, the TMP35 outputs 250mV at 25 degrees C, with an output scale of 10mV per degree C. What's the approximate temp where you're working?

Pay attention to the fact that the pinout shown in the datasheet is looking up at the bottom of the device, not looking down at the top. So, with the flat side of the sensor facing you, the left pin is VCC, the middle pin is VOUT, and the rightmost pin is GND. Is that how you have it hooked up? (this is assuming you're using a TMP35 in a TO-92 package)

You'll also need to read all 10 bits from the ADC, no cheating and just grabbing the highest 8.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 25, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

i've got two TMP35 temperature sensors fresh out of the bag. +5v on the correct pin, gnd on the correct pin. i know this because it's not on fire. readout on Vout - 0.0 volts. both of them do this :wtc:

i stuck an LED in place of the sensor with the same alignment and it lit up so it's not the breadboard. tested the analog input pin, it works. idgi

from all the highly trivial electronic stuff that turns into a big unexpected problem for you i'm wondering if you once stepped on an electronics leprechaun or kicked a gypsy or something

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
bumped into a cybergypsy and didnt apologize

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

The TMP35 outputs the temp in millivolts. Look at the SparkFun page for the TMP36 (beware that the TMP35 has a different temperature range than the TMP36 shown on the page, so the math shown in the comments won't work as-is since the sensor will output a different voltage for the same temp). Direct link to the TMP35/36/37 datasheet. According to the datasheet, the TMP35 outputs 250mV at 25 degrees C, with an output scale of 10mV per degree C. What's the approximate temp where you're working?

Pay attention to the fact that the pinout shown in the datasheet is looking up at the bottom of the device, not looking down at the top. So, with the flat side of the sensor facing you, the left pin is VCC, the middle pin is VOUT, and the rightmost pin is GND. Is that how you have it hooked up? (this is assuming you're using a TMP35 in a TO-92 package)

You'll also need to read all 10 bits from the ADC, no cheating and just grabbing the highest 8.

It's wired correctly (it's not currently on fire). The ambient temperature would be 23-25C. My digital multimeter had a battery leak inside it so all I have is an old Calrad analog multimeter from the 1960s.

I'm getting all 10 bits from the ADC, the range is 0-1023. The sensor is hooked up to analog input 0. The readout from ADC0 is 0. I know the ADC works - the buttons on my LCD board are read through that analog input when I have the LCD board plugged in.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's wired correctly (it's not currently on fire). The ambient temperature would be 23-25C. My digital multimeter had a battery leak inside it so all I have is an old Calrad analog multimeter from the 1960s.

I'm getting all 10 bits from the ADC, the range is 0-1023. The sensor is hooked up to analog input 0. The readout from ADC0 is 0. I know the ADC works - the buttons on my LCD board are read through that analog input when I have the LCD board plugged in.

you're reading buttons with an adc?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

it's just so much warmer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
adc for button input is ok if you choose your resistors wisely and code around it

more of a pita than just getting shift registers imho

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

I didn't make the board, it's got five buttons on a resistor ladder

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn't make the board, it's got five buttons on a resistor ladder

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it has five buttons and each one makes the adc report a different number. whatever the hell that's called dang

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

it has five buttons and each one makes the adc report a different number. whatever the hell that's called dang

wasn't making fun of you, but the poor design decisions

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
not on fire != wired correctly

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
started a blog to write about math and or programming in python or something idk what Im doing

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hello, Victor.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh uh hey

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

not on fire != wired correctly

for the LM75 it is either wired correctly or the casing is 400 degrees

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol your name isn't james? jahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha gently caress you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

started a blog to write about math and or programming in python or something idk what Im doing

you need to tell me why i even want costas array and what i would use it for

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

obviously you would use it for sonar

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

It gives you the weekly nfl scores

i think it's my board, ever since i burned out the last shift register nothing's worked right on the board. i'll order a new one.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

It gives you the weekly nfl scores

i think it's my board, ever since i burned out the last shift register nothing's worked right on the board. i'll order a new one.

maybe. you can check the board really easily by using your multimeter in the diode checking mode. also if youre using alligator clips (or anyone that is) - check them every week or two to make sure they still work. alligator clips are pieces of poo poo and made as cheaply as possible. its completely possible to buy a pack of 20 or w/e and have 20% of them not work.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how the hell do you break alligator clips in a way that is not obvious

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Bloody posted:

how the hell do you break alligator clips in a way that is not obvious

most are manufactured with the worst qc imaginable. a lot of times the wire used to connect the clip comes off without it being apparent.

edit: i should clarify that im talking about alligator clip test leads, not the clips themselves

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958985606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i got one of those but i dont know what the clip/adapter things are called that conenct into it so i dont even know what to search for. tryin to avoid soldering directly tob bvoard

can ne1 helpo

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Today we are building a fence so we no longer have to see our jackass neighbor.

in a couple of weeks I'm having surveyors come out because he's being a dick about property lines, and the current GIS maps state half his shop/etc in his backyard are on my property(including his chlorination system for his pool!). . . so yeah

I love this neighborhood, except for that fuckin guy.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958985606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i got one of those but i dont know what the clip/adapter things are called that conenct into it so i dont even know what to search for. tryin to avoid soldering directly tob bvoard

can ne1 helpo

they look like JST PH connectors.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks dude jus the info i needed

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
2ëïZç¢ÐJTS@Uf+DÃóÈq=ýÇ^R-jwÑ]?B{<êÜoøFéÉ¥(ì!EÖÞ·Î$~uª¨a¬Ï7idænå[úl¿¦;×ñ¡½_eùYÔ¸áðmÒp*1Ø#k«¼Lz)ÿí40Å8|OÕËÌßʹôÛ\,W®â"XÁÍòµ§NÂàÝ£ã5C°'Ù6Vy÷3þÚIAhQû ©tv¾rP趻9±:Ä%³`xäH.}bÀº&ÆKg>/²M¯õîGü´scÓ¤ö

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

here's an important application of the theory of costas arrays:

Symbolic Butt posted:

2ëïZç¢ÐJTS@Uf+DÃóÈq=ýÇ^R-jwÑ]?B{<êÜoøFéÉ¥(ì!EÖÞ·Î$~uª¨a¬Ï7idænå[úl¿¦;×ñ¡½_eùYÔ¸áðmÒp*1Ø#k«¼Lz)ÿí40Å8|OÕËÌßʹôÛ\,W®â"XÁÍòµ§NÂàÝ£ã5C°'Ù6Vy÷3þÚIAhQû ©tv¾rP趻9±:Ä%³`xäH.}bÀº&ÆKg>/²M¯õîGü´scÓ¤ö

pretend this post starts with a space (thx radium) and this is a 190x190 costas array. it's mathematically the YOSPOS' UGLIEST POST.

(that video is kinda dumb I know)

seriously though it's just a fun combinatorial problem to play with (this is the idiot spare time projects thread after all), there's various papers using it to benchmark new techniques in combinatorial optimization. it's very similar to the 8 queens problem but much more elegant to state.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that something to do with those "number" things we weren meant to memorise in school

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

here's an important application of the theory of costas arrays:

pretend this post starts with a space (thx radium) and this is a 190x190 costas array. it's mathematically the YOSPOS' UGLIEST POST.

(that video is kinda dumb I know)

seriously though it's just a fun combinatorial problem to play with (this is the idiot spare time projects thread after all), there's various papers using it to benchmark new techniques in combinatorial optimization. it's very similar to the 8 queens problem but much more elegant to state.

wtf r u on about m8

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
don't worry fellas, if I start thinking I'm the next ramanujan I'll see a doctor

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

don't worry fellas, if I start thinking I'm the next ramanujan I'll see a doctor

no don't summon them

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
so ludum dare was/is this weekend and so i managed to put together something actually finished and playable for the first time ever
its a piece of poo poo but im glad i finally finished something and i even dropped the hundo so i could deploy it to my iphone

here it is

never really used c# that much before but it is a fun language and i wish python had some way to be usable on the web

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ahmeni posted:

so ludum dare was/is this weekend and so i managed to put together something actually finished and playable for the first time ever
its a piece of poo poo but im glad i finally finished something and i even dropped the hundo so i could deploy it to my iphone

here it is

never really used c# that much before but it is a fun language and i wish python had some way to be usable on the web

theres no controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how do i make female-male jumper wires i don't wanna wait another week to play with my stuff