Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Macasaurus posted:

looking like a dumbass,

oh boy do I have the thing for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Swords are legit camping / hiking gear as demonstrated below by this hiker tending her forest camp fire. As a bonus she was wearing a preproduction Patagonia three season outfit.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

belt posted:

I haven't tried trekking poles, but I'd be open to them to continue using minimalist footwear if refocusing on my stride doesn't work.

Trekking poles are currently at the very top of my "why didn't I use these sooner" list. They are awesome.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

belt posted:

I haven't tried trekking poles, but I'd be open to them to continue using minimalist footwear if refocusing on my stride doesn't work.

Might be worth a shot to pick some up and see if it works for you. Cheaper pairs can be found on many sites or discount sporting goods stores. However, a good lightweight carbon fiber or aluminum pair can be amazing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Verman posted:

These are getting ridiculous.

Just get a machete or a hatchet if you seriously need a chopping or clearing tool which you won't need if you're ib an existing trail. Carrying a sword in the woods is beyond any existing level of goonery and more important it's ridiculous and will freak people out if they see it. I'm sure there's a knives and swords thread somewhere which well probably be more useful.

Hiking and backpacking thread: Ask me about my broad sword/machete/ka-bar/crossbow.

I dunno, a sheathed katana might double as a pretty decent trekking pole.

Multitasking!

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Mr. Despair posted:

I dunno, a sheathed katana might double as a pretty decent trekking pole.

Multitasking!

It's important to multi-purpose items when going ultralight. In this case use duct tape and attach a machete to your existing trekking poles to create your own light weight Katana!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Back to hiking chat

I'm currently in charge of planning a 5 day trip with a few friends this summer. Two of the guys have been on our trips prior, and we might have another person or two coming with after seeing our photos and videos of our prior trips. For anyone burdened as being the trip organizer, I found it really to share a google calendar, everyone can mark their days they absolutely cant do it. Once everyone inputs their days, look for clear periods or with the fewest overlaps. Made picking a date pretty quick. We should have a date solidified by this weekend and are looking at July/August.

We're looking into the pacific northwest as we've done Colorado (RMNP) several times in a row and we would like a change of scenery. We didn't get anything in the enchantments lottery and I don't want to gamble with "day of" permits so I'm completely content with avoiding it. We like solitude and awesome scenery but its summer and I expect the trails to be busy regardless.

I was thinking the Olympic NP or North Cascades NP hoping they aren't already filled up with permit requests for the year. We're looking for mountains/forest, not really so much coast line backpacking at all. We don't mind scrambling but nothing technical enough to require any sort of climbing gear. I imagine Rainier NP gets pretty busy

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got a few books in the mail but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone had anything to offer.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I need some gear advices, in june I'll be going Hiking in Iceland for a few days, think rocky Volcano and Glacier (it might be too warm for that).

I'm confused about what kind of shoes to get as I'm not into hiking at all (more into running/cycling), I've heard a lot of good things about Meindl but can't figure out the difference about their different models, a lot of them looks similar. As the ground seems very unstable i'd like something with good support so I don't ruin my ankle.

I've got a gore tex hardshell and it's pretty cool so I figured out I want some gore tex shoes.

For example, is there a major difference between these models ? they're all GTX so they must go fast !

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/softline-top-gtx
http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/kansas-new-gtx
http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/toronto-gtx
http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/softline-top-gtx

They are all at a kinda similar pricepoint, are all advertised as "Mountain walking".

Also are Vibram outsoles really that cool or are they overhyped ?

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Vibram is really good. Depends on who you're comparing them to, bit they're better than most, if not all, of the in-house rubbers used in footwear.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Verman: Look into doing a hike in the Pasayten wilderness / cathedral lakes if you are willing to go to WA.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

n8r posted:

Verman: Look into doing a hike in the Pasayten wilderness / cathedral lakes if you are willing to go to WA.

I was going to suggest this, it's directly east of North Cascades NP. If you go for a multiday trip you can be pretty much alone in parts of the Pasayten and it's really beautiful. The rain can dump, but that can be said for anywhere in the Cascades or Olympics.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Krogort posted:

I need some gear advices, in june I'll be going Hiking in Iceland for a few days, think rocky Volcano and Glacier (it might be too warm for that).

I'm also in Iceland in June and apparently the average June temperature is 11 Celsius/54 Farenheit, so, I wouldn't worry about it being too hot.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

freebooter posted:

I'm also in Iceland in June and apparently the average June temperature is 11 Celsius/54 Farenheit, so, I wouldn't worry about it being too hot.

I was there last "summer" and at least for the 3 weeks I was there (late august/early september) it was VERY windy and often wet. I would not be too concerned about being too hot. If you are camping I would strongly suggest a 4 season tent, my 3 season MSR tent was defiantly worse for wear and made sleeping tough a few nights...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

I was going to suggest this, it's directly east of North Cascades NP. If you go for a multiday trip you can be pretty much alone in parts of the Pasayten and it's really beautiful. The rain can dump, but that can be said for anywhere in the Cascades or Olympics.

n8r posted:

Awesome, those spots look incredible. I'll have to look them up further and see if its doable. The drive looks like it could be long but so far it looks worth it. We would be trying to hit the trail the day we land in Seattle so that could be tricky. Landing at 8am, rental car, food, fuel, permits ...

I've never backpacked in a NF before, just national parks so I'll have to look up the differences with permits etc.

The last time we went to Rocky Mountain NP, the park was nearly full and we barely got a decent arrangement of sites.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Verman, I'm usually in the same boat as you flying out of Chicago. What I usually do though is get a flight after work and stay the first night a few hours from the airport, then finish the drive the next day. It's just too tight trying to do same day I think.

It's too bad there's nowhere drivable from herefor a quick weekend. Even the up is too far if you hit traffic.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mastershakeman posted:

It's too bad there's nowhere drivable from herefor a quick weekend. Even the up is too far if you hit traffic.
Worst part about living in the midwest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah heading to Devils Lake (by Madison, so almost 200 miles) on a Friday after work is going to take about the same time as flying to Seattle.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be in Lake Tahoe in August, and I've been toying with the idea of hiking part of the PCT from Tahoe to Yosemite. Does anyone have any thoughts on that stretch of trail?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This may be a dumb question, but is there an easy way to obtain paper BLM maps and/or a simple website that will mark all the BLM land out for you? Everything I Google wants me to select some specific piece of land and have a custom map printed and shipped.

I'm asking purely because, as I understand it, dispersed camping is permitted anywhere on BLM land, and I'm about to undertake a cross-country motorcycle camping trip. I haven't actually bought any road maps yet, so maybe I'm a dummy and the first store I check will have plenty. It would just be nice even on the internet to be able to see all the BLM land.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's not strcitly a BLM map but.... http://caltopo.com/

you can download custom maps for free from the usgs too http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

the website is a little cumbersome but has everything you need.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Depending on where you are, you may be able to find something on gpsfiledepot and view it in Garmin basecamp. The maps I have for montana show all that stuff.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Verman posted:

Awesome, those spots look incredible. I'll have to look them up further and see if its doable. The drive looks like it could be long but so far it looks worth it. We would be trying to hit the trail the day we land in Seattle so that could be tricky. Landing at 8am, rental car, food, fuel, permits ...

I've never backpacked in a NF before, just national parks so I'll have to look up the differences with permits etc.

The last time we went to Rocky Mountain NP, the park was nearly full and we barely got a decent arrangement of sites.

If you're considering the Olympics then maybe consider LaCrosse Basin or Glacier Meadows. Royal Basin is nice too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it's not strcitly a BLM map but.... http://caltopo.com/

you can download custom maps for free from the usgs too http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

the website is a little cumbersome but has everything you need.

Cheers. I think I may have underestimated the USA though, reading stuff like this: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/cover/article_92b0071c-9969-5b5f-bdbc-20bbd92c72d4.html :psyduck: Maybe I was wrong to assume America would be as uncrowded as Australia (at least in the West) when Australia has only 22 million people spread out across the same area.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

freebooter posted:

Cheers. I think I may have underestimated the USA though, reading stuff like this: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/cover/article_92b0071c-9969-5b5f-bdbc-20bbd92c72d4.html :psyduck: Maybe I was wrong to assume America would be as uncrowded as Australia (at least in the West) when Australia has only 22 million people spread out across the same area.

The US has enormous unpopulated regions, especially west of the Mississippi. I don't think you should be too worried. Anywhere that you don't see many people around, you should be able to camp. Worst case is that someone tells you to leave. You're very unlikely to actually get in trouble if you accidentally camp on private property.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK. Cool. I guess I have this unreasonable concern that we might very well find a great, secluded spot to camp, but unbeknownst to us there's an amazing place next to a waterfall in a redwood forest just twenty minutes down the track. And of course that is bound to happen, but no amount of maps or apps or whatever are going to help you. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good headlamp? Maybe on Amazon?

I want one as bright as possible, and a red light as well would be nice. It doesn't have to be super high quality, as I don't abuse them too hard.

Thanks! Just at the stores I've gone too, they have either no selection, or a bunch that I don't know about.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The three big brands are Petzl, Black Diamond, and Princeton Tech.

I'm a huge fan of the ReVolt, since I've had one for almost a year now, and never needed to change the batteries.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Can anyone recommend a good headlamp? Maybe on Amazon?

I want one as bright as possible, and a red light as well would be nice. It doesn't have to be super high quality, as I don't abuse them too hard.

Thanks! Just at the stores I've gone too, they have either no selection, or a bunch that I don't know about.

I really like my Black Diamond Spot. It has several light settings including a red light, a long battery life, and it feels solid.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Based on my excellent experience with the Petzl Tikka Improved Lumen Output Xp 2 Headlamp, I recently added a second to our kit. Light, water resistant, great burn time. I also like the simple flip-up diffuser screen. Has two brightness settings and a red light. I looked at some of Petzl's newer rechargeable adaptive lighting headlamps, which looked cool, but it was the battery life that sent me back to this one.

That said, any decent model from one of the big producers should do fine. I've also heard good things about Led lenser. If you're focused (heh) on brightness, look for a model made for trail running.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I'm going backpacking with some friends in the Cascades in September and I'm afraid of getting eaten by a bear like Grizzly Man. We don't have predators where I come from. They have cougars too!

We got a pass for the enchantments which is apparently a fancy thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Can anyone recommend a good headlamp?

Princeton Tec remix. Regular bulb and leds and multiple modes with 100+ lumens. Some come with red leds. Takes aaa batteries that I never had to change in over a year. Usually around $30-40. Insanely bright. All my buddies have swapped their lights for the same one after seeing mine.

Wingless posted:

I'm afraid of getting eaten by a bear like Grizzly Man. We don't have predators where I come from. They have cougars too!

Treadwil was an idiot who let his guard down around one of the most dangerous wild animals.

Also there are no brown bears in the cascades except the very far north cascades and far north east Washington.
The cascades are home to black bears and are way different than brown/grizzlies. They're mostly scavengers and avoid confrontation. They can be scared off easily with loud noises and groups. The way to avoid them is to take care of your food and scented items.

Pack out all your food and don't drop scraps. Keep it all in a bear bin and away from camp. Don't cook or eat in camp if you're really worried about bears.

To be honest it's something that everyone has in their mind but rarely encounters.

Don't worry about cougars. You will never see one until it's too late and they rarely attack people let alone groups.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2014

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Verman posted:

Don't worry about cougars. You will never see one until it's too late

This is less reassuring that you might think... :ohdear:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Wingless posted:

I'm going backpacking with some friends in the Cascades in September and I'm afraid of getting eaten by a bear like Grizzly Man. We don't have predators where I come from. They have cougars too!

They also have Moose, Boars and Wolverines.
Moose might be more dangerous than Bears.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Krogort posted:

In the black hills area we have a fair number of mountain lions, and they've even been spotted in the middle of Rapid City (a town of ~80k people at the base of the hills), but I've never heard of them attacking anyone.

Buffalo on the other hand. Buffalo you should be afraid of (and do hurt way more people than bears/mountain lions do).

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!

Krogort posted:

Wolverines only attack communists I thought? :)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah basically don't gently caress with wildlife (unless it's fish, then catch them and fry them up, but only if you have a permit)

Even deer can kick your rear end if you somehow manage to piss one off. Thankfully just about everything is afraid of humans and won't bother you unless you do some really stupid poo poo (which generally consists of being careless with your food or getting too close to the wildlife).

Maybe surprisingly, your biggest worry should be rodents. Squirrels and mice and chipmunks loving looooove to chew their way into tents and backpacks looking for food, so basically it's a good idea to never leave your pack unattended unless it's completely emptied out of everything that might attract the little fuckers, and that includes empty wrappers.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who's been backpacking in areas with wolves ever seen or heard them? I think back in 2006 in Idaho was the last time I was backpacking where there are wolves and didn't hear anything

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Verman posted:

Also there are no brown bears in the cascades except the very far north cascades and far north east Washington.
The cascades are home to black bears and are way different than brown/grizzlies. They're mostly scavengers and avoid confrontation. They can be scared off easily with loud noises and groups. The way to avoid them is to take care of your food and scented items.

Pack out all your food and don't drop scraps. Keep it all in a bear bin and away from camp. Don't cook or eat in camp if you're really worried about bears.

To be honest it's something that everyone has in their mind but rarely encounters.

Don't worry about cougars. You will never see one until it's too late and they rarely attack people let alone groups.

This is all good advice. The average weight of cougar is approximately the same as the average weight of a human male. Lots of people fight them off, not that they can't kill you really good. The majority of all deaths from cougars has been to kids and women. Just be aware of your surroundings in cougar territory. They obviously prefer to stalk their prey and attack from behind before they are noticed. It's very very rare you'll have an issue with them, and if you're not travelling alone then the chances are infinitesimal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wingless posted:

Since you're in a group you'll be just fine. I go out in the Canadian Rockies all the time where we have every potentially dangerous North American animal and I've never had a negative encounter.

About cougars though: if you do happen to spot one, stand tall, stay facing it, and don't crouch, it makes you look smaller and more appetizing. But if you're in a group, they should just leave you alone unless you encounter a young idiot cat. But they're also easy to fight off because they're idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Since you're in a group you'll be just fine. I go out in the Canadian Rockies all the time where we have every potentially dangerous North American animal and I've never had a negative encounter.

About cougars though: if you do happen to spot one, stand tall, stay facing it, and don't crouch, it makes you look smaller and more appetizing. But if you're in a group, they should just leave you alone unless you encounter a young idiot cat. But they're also easy to fight off because they're idiots.

Same goes for a black bear. Stand your ground and get big. Open your jacket to seem bigger. They are usually 150-300 lbs and should be fought against if they attack. If there are cubs just back away slowly facing the bear and never get in between them. If you spot a bear instantly look for cubs.

Seriously though moose will kill you before anything else will. And you have Better odds of getting killed in an accident driving there than being an animal attack victim. Just go enjoy the woods and sleep with earplugs if every stuck crackle is going to keep you up.

Levitate posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone who's been backpacking in areas with wolves ever seen or heard them? I think back in 2006 in Idaho was the last time I was backpacking where there are wolves and didn't hear anything

In the UP of Michigan for my bachelor party we were camping and heard wolves really close (~1/4 mile?) to the north chasing then celebrating a kill. The same night we heard a separate pack of coyotes yipping to the south of us at an equal distance. The wolves were so loud and so close that we could hear then rustling through the forest. I'm never really nervous about coyote but wolves ... yeah I won't want to gently caress around with them. We built the fire up high after that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 27, 2014