Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
On the other hand they're still doing that totally inexcusable bullshit thing where English dialogue in a foreign-language film goes unsubtitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On the other hand they're still doing that totally inexcusable bullshit thing where English dialogue in a foreign-language film goes unsubtitled.

It'd be nice if you could pick the color of your subtitles too. White is usually good for most things, but sometimes with black and white films it can be all but impossible to read during certain scenes.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I do wish my foreign-language films also came with the foreign subtitles and not just English.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I watched Videodrome (long live the new flesh)

I liked it on the whole. It's totally very, very Cronenberg. I read through the essays that came with the leaflet in the packaging, those were pretty neat, too. I think part of me is still sort of digesting the film on the whole, though.

If any part felt weak, I think the very end was a bit abrupt and not quite satisfying. It's a little vague on if Max killing himself actually caused him to transcend to something different, or if "the signal" was just tying up loose ends by having him off himself.

Also, I've got the Armageddon criterion DVD set as well as Armageddon on blu-ray, I kind of wish there was an appealing way to combine the two sets so I could have the bonus features/commentaries of the Criterion discs with the picture quality of the blu-ray.
Is Criterion planning on "upgrading" all of their DVD releases to blu-ray at some point? If so I could just wait for an Armageddon blu-ray release, I suppose.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Xenomrph posted:

It's a little vague on if Max killing himself actually caused him to transcend to something different, or if "the signal" was just tying up loose ends by having him off himself.

Ambiguity, thy name is Videodrome. In it's sister film, EXistenZ, Cronenberg puts the levels of unreality in nested boxes - what you and the characters are left pondering at the end is if you've pulled all the way out and are now in the "real" - or if such a distinction is important anymore. In Videodrome, Max's subjective reality bleeds so much into "objective" reality that the boundary is obliterated and there is no distinction between the two, for Max or the audience.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

They don't sit on films because they can't sell 50,000 copies or claim there's no budget available.

This is simply not true. Every streaming Korda or Shochiku film they haven't released on home video is literally exactly that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Xenomrph posted:

Also, I've got the Armageddon criterion DVD set as well as Armageddon on blu-ray, I kind of wish there was an appealing way to combine the two sets so I could have the bonus features/commentaries of the Criterion discs with the picture quality of the blu-ray.
Is Criterion planning on "upgrading" all of their DVD releases to blu-ray at some point? If so I could just wait for an Armageddon blu-ray release, I suppose.

They tend to pretend those Michael Bay films aren't in the collection, but I hope they do.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TrixRabbi posted:

They tend to pretend those Michael Bay films aren't in the collection
What do you mean?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm pretty sure it was just a matter of distribution rights expiring or being transferred, not some kind of snobby regret.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion made a special distribution deal with Disney for Armageddon, The Rock, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic. All five titles were distributed on DVD by Disney, but with Criterion packaging and production. Sort of like what they did later for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The DVD editions are fully handled by Disney now, which is why all five show up on criterion.com with links to Amazon for purchasing. However, they have direct distribution rights to the three Wes Anderson films on Blu-Ray (which is why The Life Aquatic isn't dual format).

I highly doubt Criterion is going to handle any special editions of Armageddon and The Rock. Most likely, Disney will buy the rights to the supplements and release their own special editions. MGM traded a few movie licenses for some laserdisc commentaries (Raging Bull and This is Spinal Tap, I think). They handled the DVDs because Disney was still releasing only bare-bones editions at the time, plus the income helped pay for less profitable films.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This is simply not true. Every streaming Korda or Shochiku film they haven't released on home video is literally exactly that.

It seems like a lot of the films either don't have acceptable masters for Blu-Ray yet or there's not much to be done with supplements. The Eclipse series sort of served this purpose initially, but it makes a lot more sense to have stuff meant for that line to just be put on Hulu for streaming.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

It seems like a lot of the films either don't have acceptable masters for Blu-Ray yet or there's not much to be done with supplements. The Eclipse series sort of served this purpose initially, but it makes a lot more sense to have stuff meant for that line to just be put on Hulu for streaming.

I mean, sure, and there were some Essential Art House DVDs before that, but you're moving the goalposts. Criterion has had these rights for decades. How is this not "sitting on" films?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I mean, sure, and there were some Essential Art House DVDs before that, but you're moving the goalposts. Criterion has had these rights for decades. How is this not "sitting on" films?
Time and resources that could be spent on more in demand films?

Ran isn't on bluray yet, is it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not (and presumably never) from Criterion, but StudioCanal did put out a garbage version a couple years ago after they took back a bunch of titles to uselessly squat over.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

They are putting stuff on Hulu so you don't have to wait for a disc. Better than $20 for a DVDR made from a laserdisc transfer.

I don't think anything is getting squatted on. They held back Grand Illusion for three years so it would have a transfer from the restoration. It took almost 30 years for them to get Warner Bros to license a film to them.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 27, 2014

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ran is a bad example because even though Criterion doesn't have the rights anymore it literally had a release date before all the licensing mess made them pull it.

I do think Criterion does have some things that they are taking longer to release than what seems normal, I don't know if it's a matter of not having enough resources to release all the films or if they are holding them on purpose. Either way I think the work they do is good and important and worth paying more for.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

They are putting stuff on Hulu so you don't have to wait for a disc. Better than $20 for a DVDR made from a laserdisc transfer.

I don't think anything is getting squatted on. They held back Grand Illusion for three years so it would have a transfer from the restoration. It took almost 30 years for them to get Warner Bros to license a film to them.

Okay, then who are the prime offenders of this crime of "squatting"? Presumably Lionsgate? Criterion is on pace/on par with Warner's in this, with the sole exception of The Devils.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is what they've done/are doing with the Chaplin films also just waiting for a good transfer/extras? Criterion absolutely toys with release dates, and sits on films for profit margin reasons. Sure they're a business and I suppose if its the best way for them to make money off things and keep releasing the occasional rare gem then so be it. But let's not pretend Criterion is just some altruistic company whose only goal is to release films no one else will. They found a niche and that niche is high quality transfers of indie films and classic films and they can charge a premium because of the brand cachet they've built. I don't fault them for it, and if the alternative is Kino or Facets then I'm glad Criterion exists, but it's fair to be annoyed by their pricing and release schedule.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
They probably want to release a limited number at a time so they don't overwhelm purchasers with the newest titles. It's like how when there's a sale a ton of people are picking up the new hotness - if Criterion dumped all of the legacy releases and movies they have the rights to but aren't on disc (Eraserhead!:argh:) at once they'd have lower sales on them but releasing a few at a time ensures that people are buying them in healthy numbers.

Probably a balance between that and their standards and I'd like to imagine that it's more about standards although it's definitely a business.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Okay, then who are the prime offenders of this crime of "squatting"? Presumably Lionsgate? Criterion is on pace/on par with Warner's in this, with the sole exception of The Devils.

Anything involving the Weinsteins.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Also there are only so many people that work at Criterion and can do the restorations. I imagine that's a huge constraint in how many they can produce a year.

edit: Lol, while searching for any info on jobs or how many people Criterion employs I found this gem on their contact us page:

quote:

To report a technical problem with your DVD or Blu-ray disc; for television, public performance, and nontheatrical sales;
for queries, threats, or bribes related to our future release schedule;
for praise and/or criticism of our releases or the state of the film world in general;
to report that a DVD booklet has been mauled by a dog or baby;
for clarification of the information on our FAQ page;
to whinge about region encoding;
or for any and all Criterion-related anecdotes or curiosities, please e-mail Jon Mulvaney at mulvaney@criterion.com (he lives for this stuff!).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 27, 2014

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Right, there are economic constraints, because it's a business. That's what I'm saying. Og's initial praise is apparently based in a world in which that's not true.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, I'm sure part of Criterion's model is that they do have a legitimate love for film and care for creating an excellent product. But they're a business and money is the most important part of any business. It's commendable that they'll often take gambles on lesser known films, but they've created a great brand loyalty for themselves among their fanbase and know that no matter what they put out it's going to shift a few units.

Putting out sure-things like The Big Chill and A Hard Day's Night helps as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, but that's like the difference between Jimmy Stewart's saving and loan and the old man's bank in It's A Wonderful Life.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think anyone can beat Lionsgate's habitual squatting. Warner does a great job with films, but they desperately need to license out their silents and animation.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is what they've done/are doing with the Chaplin films also just waiting for a good transfer/extras? Criterion absolutely toys with release dates, and sits on films for profit margin reasons. Sure they're a business and I suppose if its the best way for them to make money off things and keep releasing the occasional rare gem then so be it. But let's not pretend Criterion is just some altruistic company whose only goal is to release films no one else will. They found a niche and that niche is high quality transfers of indie films and classic films and they can charge a premium because of the brand cachet they've built. I don't fault them for it, and if the alternative is Kino or Facets then I'm glad Criterion exists, but it's fair to be annoyed by their pricing and release schedule.

As for the Chaplin releases, I think it's a mix of his estate having a lot of involvement/say and needing new masters. Modern Times and The Great Dictator seemed to use the same transfers utilized for the overseas Blu-Rays (which look terrific), but Criterion did have to re-do The Gold Rush and City Lights from scratch because the existing masters were not very good (wrong framing/aspect ratios). Harold Lloyd's estate is similarly picky, but in a good way.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think anyone can beat Lionsgate's habitual squatting. Warner does a great job with films, but they desperately need to license out their silents and animation.

Are there adequate source prints for the silents and animation you're alluding to?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I guess what I'm getting at is that unless you talk exclusively about Janus titles, it's near-meaningless to laud Criterion for not sitting on films. They license individually or in small bits from the actual rightsholders. That's why I mentioned Lionsgate, to offer you a counterexample to run with. But maybe my point would be better made with Olive, which by this standard you're sticking to is way more praiseworthy than Criterion. They are cranking through the Republic library!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

mod sassinator posted:

edit: Lol, while searching for any info on jobs or how many people Criterion employs I found this gem on their contact us page:

I dealt with Jon Mulvaney when I requested a new case for my busted Night of the Hunter Blu-ray. He was awesome and sent me a brand new case for free, and then sent me the inner digipack for free as well when I asked.

No matter what complains may be directed toward Criterion, they're just about the best company on the planet.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
They are definitely fans of cinema and I'm sure they'd release everything they have if they didn't care about keeping the business solvent.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'd kinda like to see a Criterion release of 'Night of the Living Dead', the movie is even public domain so they wouldn't have to deal with licensing shenanigans! :haw:

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I'd kinda like to see a Criterion release of 'Night of the Living Dead', the movie is even public domain so they wouldn't have to deal with licensing shenanigans! :haw:

Me too, they could add in some other public domain horror titles and make a cute lil boxset.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Are there adequate source prints for the silents and animation you're alluding to?

For the most part. Most of the MGM and Warner silents have materials that would allow for at the minimum a Kino quality Blu-Ray. The animation is scattershot since the MGM cartoons made before 1952 (most of the library) has few surviving camera negatives, but they have plenty of other elements. The Big Parade was restored in 2003, but only had a video release (besides the prior tape and laserdisc) last year. From what I've read, the main problem is that no one wants to pay for new transfers.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Safe Driver posted:

Me too, they could add in some other public domain horror titles and make a cute lil boxset.

Isn't Carnival of Souls public domain? It was one of the first Criterion discs I purchased.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

For the most part. Most of the MGM and Warner silents have materials that would allow for at the minimum a Kino quality Blu-Ray. The animation is scattershot since the MGM cartoons made before 1952 (most of the library) has few surviving camera negatives, but they have plenty of other elements. The Big Parade was restored in 2003, but only had a video release (besides the prior tape and laserdisc) last year. From what I've read, the main problem is that no one wants to pay for new transfers.

Oh, so you're advocating for Warner's to lower their Blu-Ray standards to Kino's! I didn't realize that was where you were coming from.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: Not going to continue the derail.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 29, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Please continue the derail, it's about as interesting as this thread has gotten in a long time. I'd prefer to read this back and forth over lists of what people bought in a loving sale.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I mean, this is where preservation and home video distribution directly intersect. To an extent MOD discs have become more common not because the cost of pressing discs is that much higher than burning them but because every little cost-cutting measure helps in the face of how loving expensive LTO is. Of course, since a 35mm print or other analog master remains the most reliable storage format, it seems odd to fault the studios for postponing e.g. 4K scans until they can be more certain that the DCP won't become corrupted or lost.

To an extent, sure, I'm giving you a hard time, Og, for the inconsistency of your complaints—why are you happy with a Hulu stream of, say, Being Two Isn't Easy, but insistent on Blu-Rays of MGM silents?—but that's just because I'm trying to emphasize the extent of the intersection of preservation and home video. I'm not even necessarily implying that your complaint is as blindly selfish as "Why don't they release only every Blu-Ray I want?" (though sometimes it sure sounds like that). Beyond your own preferences, the "canon" is in constant flux. Think of all the silent films that were destroyed in the early sound era, when executives assumed no one would ever want (to pay) to see them again! Or think how unsurprising it would have been to learn that any number of films noir and other b-movies and programmers were lost simply because at the time no one cared about Anthony Mann or Edward Dmytryk or whoever. Thank God they weren't, but it just goes to show you can never know what will be important to future generations.

I, for one, would rather have a digital backup and corresponding DVD-R of the entire Warner's catalog than a Blu-Ray of the Big Parade and countless other films lost. (As long as we're being speculative.)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Nobody has anything to ask/add/challenge? I guess I should have closed with **drops mic**

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I like NASA stuff, 'For All Mankind' is probably a pretty good blind purchase, right?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Xenomrph posted:

So if I like NASA stuff, 'For All Mankind' is probably a pretty good blind purchase, right?

100% yes. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypMh1pW1RdE