Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Angular Landbury posted:

All Irish people LOVE TA FIGHT and are usually mythical creatures.

This is true though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Regrettable posted:

This is true though?

I think we all remember that New Years Eve when Bono was fistfighting people in Times Square.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

I think we all remember that New Years Eve when Bono was fistfighting people in Times Square.

He's also a magical turd.

Edit: I would pay money to see Bono in a fistfight.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 26, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did Paul Heyman know Raven was going to crucify Sandman?

In the Rise and Fall of ECW book, Kurt Angle stated that when he left that show (he was there to scope ECW after he decided to give pro wrestling a shot) and threatened to sue if his name or face was attached to it Heyman swore up and down that he had no idea it was going to happen. Angle then said, for the book, that if someone doesn't know something is going to happen at THEIR show either they are an idiot or have no control.

I think Heyman probably had reason to know or should have put two-and-two together but this being Heyman he was likely willfully blind to what was going on. It ties into Angle's argument that Heyman really should have known what was going on on HIS show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Tying into that, who's had the longest and / or most lucrative career purely as a jobber?

I always found it interesting that there were people who had wrestling careers knowing that they'd never get over and would be nothing more than the doormat for whomever came along at the moment.

I'd guess Barry Horowitz because not only did he have a long career as a jobber but he signed a WCW contract near the end so that probably paid very well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Justin Godscock posted:

In the Rise and Fall of ECW book, Kurt Angle stated that when he left that show (he was there to scope ECW after he decided to give pro wrestling a shot) and threatened to sue if his name or face was attached to it Heyman swore up and down that he had no idea it was going to happen. Angle then said, for the book, that if someone doesn't know something is going to happen at THEIR show either they are an idiot or have no control.

I think Heyman probably had reason to know or should have put two-and-two together but this being Heyman he was likely willfully blind to what was going on. It ties into Angle's argument that Heyman really should have known what was going on on HIS show.

I was watching the DVD (which I understand the book is basically a paperback transcription of) which made me curious if he was lying about that or he said he did since them or what because that's some Peak Heyman.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was watching the DVD (which I understand the book is basically a paperback transcription of) which made me curious if he was lying about that or he said he did since them or what because that's some Peak Heyman.

Raven and Sandman admitted in Forever Hardcore that Heyman was in on it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

omgomgomg posted:

Who gets a better salary: a top nxt wrestler or a Main a Event jobber?

I think I read somewhere that the baseline NXT salary for a wrestler is $50k, with the max being $75k (maybe Xavier said that somewhere? I can't remember exactly where I read it). So odds are everyone on the main roster makes at least a bit more than the top people on the NXT roster.

sticklefifer posted:

Have they ever done an Egyptian pharaoh gimmick? I'd be surprised if nobody ever did.

Ascension.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 26, 2014

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What is mat rats? I keep hearing references to it and I'm too scared to google it in case it's like ring rats with looser morals

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

I think I read somewhere that the baseline NXT salary for a wrestler is $50k, with the max being $75k (maybe Xavier said that somewhere? I can't remember exactly where I read it). So odds are everyone on the main roster makes at least a bit more than the top people on the NXT roster.

Ascension.

So, Zack Ryder earns more than Adrian Neville?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Manwithastick posted:

What is mat rats? I keep hearing references to it and I'm too scared to google it in case it's like ring rats with looser morals

If I remember right, it was an attempt by Eric Bischoff to do a children's wrestling promotion. Not a promotion geared toward kids, but a promotion where kids were the wrestlers.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is JoJo still employed by WWE?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
AFAIK she's still part of NXT.

She's only like 20, so there's plenty of time for her to learn to wrestle and come back later, I guess.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

BlueArmyMan posted:

If I remember right, it was an attempt by Eric Bischoff to do a children's wrestling promotion. Not a promotion geared toward kids, but a promotion where kids were the wrestlers.

Pretty much, it was teen wrestlers. Harry Smith, Tyson Kidd, and maybe Teddy Hart were wrestlers. Natalya was an interviewer. Mauro Ranallo did commentary. It failed.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

Must have been Shawn. Kennedy is the reason for his wonky eyes.

Is this true? I thought he just developed it overtime. If this is true, gently caress Kennedy forever.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Manwithastick posted:

It also had platforms above the turnbuckles for moves. I think Jack Evans was apart of it as well.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

sticklefifer posted:

Africa is a savage land full of spear-chucking tribesmen and big game hunters (except South Africa, which has mercenaries).

Kofi's seriously lucky they tried to make him Jamaican at first. Have they ever done an Egyptian pharaoh gimmick? I'd be surprised if nobody ever did.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It also had platforms above the turnbuckles for moves. I think Jack Evans was apart of it as well.

Didn't CZW lift this concept sorta kinda with their boxes on the turnbuckles?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Japanese are venomous.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Raven and Sandman admitted in Forever Hardcore that Heyman was in on it
Was there really that much of an uproar outside of wrestling, or was that public apology more of a "Come back Kurt" plea?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think it was a combination of "come back Kurt," "don't kick us off the PPV schedule," and "what the gently caress nobody's yelling anymore?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

No one that comes to mind in the major promotions, but there is Amasis in the indies.

He's one of the Osirian Portal guys and there's a good chance you've already seen that one hypnosis video from CZW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQFkSFDpn8
I will always love there theme btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZQkC6iwlM

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Would Rey have won the '06 Rumble you thunk if Eddie had not died? The whole thing felt like a pity win.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would Rey have won the '06 Rumble you thunk if Eddie had not died? The whole thing felt like a pity win.

His whole run was pretty much that. The rumor/story was it was supposed to be an Eddie push, so I'd imagine he (Eddie) would have had something similar

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hockles posted:

His whole run was pretty much that. The rumor/story was it was supposed to be an Eddie push, so I'd imagine he (Eddie) would have had something similar

Eddy was actually going to get the belt a few weeks after he died. Stephanie said something to that effect and it initially sounded like bullshit because it wasn't in the original long term plans, but it came out later that they were actually going to go in that direction. I'm not sure why, his body was so destroyed at that point it wasn't a good idea unless it was very short term.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I thought Eddie and Batista were feuding/about to feud when Batista got injured, so the easiest solution was quickly switch the title to Eddie. Of course this going off memory so I could just be making poo poo up.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Stanfield posted:

I thought Eddie and Batista were feuding/about to feud when Batista got injured, so the easiest solution was quickly switch the title to Eddie. Of course this going off memory so I could just be making poo poo up.

They were doing the friends, but Eddie was secretly plotting behind his back storyline iirc

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Eddy was actually going to get the belt a few weeks after he died. Stephanie said something to that effect and it initially sounded like bullshit because it wasn't in the original long term plans, but it came out later that they were actually going to go in that direction. I'm not sure why, his body was so destroyed at that point it wasn't a good idea unless it was very short term.

That pissed me off because I remember all kinds of reports coming out about 6 months before he died that said he was exhausted and hurt and desperately needed a break/time off. They apparently didn't give him that and it may very well have cost him his life. Of course he'd have some say in how far he could push his own body, but when the company offers you your spot over everyone else, you sort of have to take it. If he'd gotten even a small sabbatical like he wanted, he might have lived a lot longer.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

AFAIK she's still part of NXT.

She's only like 20, so there's plenty of time for her to learn to wrestle and come back later, I guess.

She was good at selling and not objectively terrible, so that's at least two things she's got over Eva Marie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

That pissed me off because I remember all kinds of reports coming out about 6 months before he died that said he was exhausted and hurt and desperately needed a break/time off. They apparently didn't give him that and it may very well have cost him his life. Of course he'd have some say in how far he could push his own body, but when the company offers you your spot over everyone else, you sort of have to take it. If he'd gotten even a small sabbatical like he wanted, he might have lived a lot longer.

She was good at selling and not objectively terrible, so that's at least two things she's got over Eva Marie.

His body was completely done and wrecked but I don't think he was letting on to them that he needed the time off. He didn't have the kind of warning signs Angle had in 06 to be told "you're off the road" or maybe they saw Angle that way through the lens of Eddy's death. I could be wrong, the time of his death was a time I was paying very very little attention to WWE since I just got back into ROH and was giving TNA a 3rd or 4th chance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChampRamp posted:

They were doing the friends, but Eddie was secretly plotting behind his back storyline iirc

The way I remember it was that Eddie WANTED to "lie, cheat and steal" to get Batista's title while pretending to be his friend, but that Batista kept catching him out and giving him a big "Awwww come on buddy don't be like that! :haw:" reaction, and Eddie started finding himself second-guessing whether he really wanted to screw his friend out of the belt or not.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The way I remember it was that Eddie WANTED to "lie, cheat and steal" to get Batista's title while pretending to be his friend, but that Batista kept catching him out and giving him a big "Awwww come on buddy don't be like that! :haw:" reaction, and Eddie started finding himself second-guessing whether he really wanted to screw his friend out of the belt or not.

I just finished watching No Mercy 05, and Batista never trusted him from the start, though Eddie did struggle with whether he really wanted to screw Batista out of the belt.

It's an OK match.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

MassRafTer posted:

I'd guess Barry Horowitz because not only did he have a long career as a jobber but he signed a WCW contract near the end so that probably paid very well.

How quickly we forget Iron Mike Sharpe. Black trunks, black boots, and a black bracer on his left hand. He was a star on the 80's era Superstars, because he showed up every week and did the yell thing when the announcer said his name. He as the epitome of the pin me, pay me mentality.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

How quickly we forget Iron Mike Sharpe. Black trunks, black boots, and a black bracer on his left hand. He was a star on the 80's era Superstars, because he showed up every week and did the yell thing when the announcer said his name. He as the epitome of the pin me, pay me mentality.

80's jobbers made really lovely money. Back in those days wrestlers would be flown into the tour, but would not be paid to fly back, so sometimes TV jobbers would lose money because TV pay offs were bad. (The idea was you'd become a bigger star being on TV so we don't have to pay you.) It was so bad some lower card guys would only go home every other tour. It wasn't until Bad News Allen and some others rebelled that Vince was forced to pay for your flight in and back home. So guys like Sharpe despite being as prolific or moreso than Horowitz may have made less.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

His body was completely done and wrecked but I don't think he was letting on to them that he needed the time off. He didn't have the kind of warning signs Angle had in 06 to be told "you're off the road" or maybe they saw Angle that way through the lens of Eddy's death. I could be wrong, the time of his death was a time I was paying very very little attention to WWE since I just got back into ROH and was giving TNA a 3rd or 4th chance.

I could swear Meltzer or someone else reputable was reporting it at the time, but I'm not sure exactly when. Definitely within a year of his death because I specifically remember when he died I was angry that he wanted time off and didn't get it. I'd also been on and off at the time and fell out of wrestling altogether for a couple years - I was watching very sporadically when the Benoit murders happened, but I came back in time to catch the year+ long Edge/Taker and Jericho/HBK feuds, and then got back up to speed.

On-topic: Is CIMA still wrestling? I haven't heard anything about him in a long time, and I kind of lost touch with what's going on in Dragon Gate because I don't know where to watch it nowadays.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

I could swear Meltzer or someone else reputable was reporting it at the time, but I'm not sure exactly when. Definitely within a year of his death because I specifically remember when he died I was angry that he wanted time off and didn't get it. I'd also been on and off at the time and fell out of wrestling altogether for a couple years - I was watching very sporadically when the Benoit murders happened, but I came back in time to catch the year+ long Edge/Taker feud and then got back up to speed.

On-topic: Is CIMA still wrestling? I haven't heard anything about him in a long time, and I kind of lost touch with what's going on in Dragon Gate because I don't know where to watch it nowadays.

That could be the case. I know he requested to drop the belt because he was taking the business slide to heart and the strain was getting to him. I've just never heard that he wanted off the road. Meltzer has definitely said his body was just a wreck and he could barely go at house shows anymore.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Still very much active in Dragon Gate, though he hasn't been in DGUSA sine summer last year. Also, I believe he is now in his 10th or so stable of his career with We Are Team Veteran.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Germansimp posted:

Still very much active in Dragon Gate, though he hasn't been in DGUSA sine summer last year. Also, I believe he is now in his 10th or so stable of his career with We Are Team Veteran.

Yeah, DG is always very stable/gangwar focused. I think at any given time there are only 5 or 6 unaffiliated roster members and everyone else is in a stable.

If WWE did that, they'd actually have a reason to promote the Survivor Series gimmick for once.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Michinoku Pro had that approach for a long time, too. Kai En Tai DX, Sasuke/Michinoku Seikigun, Kowloon, and a few other less notable groups I'm forgetting.

quote:

If WWE did that, they'd actually have a reason to promote the Survivor Series gimmick for once.

WWE kinda tried this with Gang Wars. The problem was, most of the groups consisted of guys who sucked.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Michinoku Pro had that approach for a long time, too. Kai En Tai DX, Sasuke/Michinoku Seikigun, Kowloon, and a few other less notable groups I'm forgetting.

WWE kinda tried this with Gang Wars. The problem was, most of the groups consisted of guys who sucked.

Yeah, the Nation was the only stable that anyone worthwhile in it. And there was also the fact that the whole thing was incredibly racist, especially considering you had the Neo-Nazi Harris twins as part of the white biker gang.

Speaking of the Nation, I had never seen the original version of them because I wasn't watching much during '96-'97. I've been watching PPVs on the Network from that time and I have to say I really dig their original entrance with like fifteen guys coming out. I miss those types of stables, the ones that had actors and other non-wrestlers as part of the group. It just made things seem more legit and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, DG is always very stable/gangwar focused. I think at any given time there are only 5 or 6 unaffiliated roster members and everyone else is in a stable.

Dragon Gate's stables change around all the time, though. I don't know how anyone keeps track of that stuff.