Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Werthog 95 posted:

how do i make female-male jumper wires i don't wanna wait another week to play with my stuff

loot power switch and LED header wires from old ATX cases for the female side, desolder a pin header from an old motherboard for the males

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
it can be done with solid-core wire pretty easily. just strip both ends and make one pointy and one sproingy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:toot:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
christ i've gone down the arduino hole this weekend

now i'm thinking about getting a beaglebone

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
fence status

Neighbor real mad, he's been stomping on and off up and down his driveway staring at it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i'm glad i dont own a house in the suburbs because this kind of poo poo would bring me so much joy while having a net negative gain on the world around me

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

enotnert posted:

fence status

Neighbor real mad, he's been stomping on and off up and down his driveway staring at it

so which paper should we look out for the arson report/obituary in

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Corla Plankun posted:

i'm glad i dont own a house in the suburbs because this kind of poo poo would bring me so much joy while having a net negative gain on the world around me

well it's also part of the fact that I'm a "nudist" so once we get it all up I can grill out in the backyard butt neked.

That guy on the other side of that fence though is just the image of america. Other side of that fence is a $300,000 pool/outdoor kitchen, and the guy himself is a sleeve tatted, roid raging, likes to scream at my wife, but cowers around me, douchebag supreme.

Also, it was fun to learn how to build a fence. My step dad in law has taught me a lot of poo poo, high voltage electrical wiring, fence building. . . and I teach him computery poo poo in return.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

enotnert posted:

high voltage electrical wiring, fence building

hope u combined those two skills in this construction project so that neighbour gets a nasty surprise when he touches the fence

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

enotnert posted:

likes to scream at my wife, but cowers around me, douchebag supreme.

you are a much better man than i for not catching an aggravated assault charge by now

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

enotnert posted:

well it's also part of the fact that I'm a "nudist" so once we get it all up I can grill out in the backyard butt neked.

That guy on the other side of that fence though is just the image of america. Other side of that fence is a $300,000 pool/outdoor kitchen, and the guy himself is a sleeve tatted, roid raging, likes to scream at my wife, but cowers around me, douchebag supreme.

Also, it was fun to learn how to build a fence. My step dad in law has taught me a lot of poo poo, high voltage electrical wiring, fence building. . . and I teach him computery poo poo in return.

did you build the fence naked? :smugmrgw:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Panty Saluter posted:

you are a much better man than i for not catching an aggravated assault charge by now

Yeah, I've basically told the wife at this point that if he shows up in any way, tell him to sit tight and get me. Wife is a big "i've got a gun, I can handle it" kind of person, I'm more of a. . . if you want to get in my family, or my face, let's do it personal and if it comes to it I can stab you, kind of person.

He threatened to sue us because we had to replace a drain line made with old orangeburg pipe that had collapsed and *gasp* got some dirt on his grass in the process.

Valeyard posted:

did you build the fence naked? :smugmrgw:

Wish I could have, I can build the next section nude, because the folks who live behind us are in their late 80's, don't give a gently caress if I'm nude, and in general are cool as hell (just sad they're going the wayward route of life and might not be around for long, but they're nice as can be and will have a conversation for hours even if I'm just standing there naked).

The husband is an old mailman, and my big dog will bark like crazy until he walks up and looks at her. . . he always goes "you walk the streets delivering mail for 35 years, eventually dogs know not to gently caress with you"

enotnert fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 27, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

enotnert posted:

but they're nice as can be and will have a conversation for hours even if I'm just standing there naked).

so this has actually happened then?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

christ i've gone down the arduino hole this weekend

now i'm thinking about getting a beaglebone

i've posted to the forums from the beaglebone black, it owns a lot

as long as you remember that it's a single-board computer and not a microcontroller and use it as such you'll have a great time

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

nudism is the android of clothes wearing hth

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

computer toucher posted:

doesn't need my suits

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Glorgnole posted:

i've posted to the forums from the beaglebone black, it owns a lot

as long as you remember that it's a single-board computer and not a microcontroller and use it as such you'll have a great time

yeah, that's the thing. I'm kind of more into micro controllers right now, and we use them a loooot at work, (our Electro-Mech guys almost exclusively use the BS2 Stamp). But I dunno I'd really like to just play around with a lot of this stuff more and more.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

computer toucher posted:

no the android of clothes wearing is using 'i don't care about fashion' as an excuse to dress like a disgusting slob

nudism is not having a phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deacon of Delicious posted:

doesn't need my suits

lol

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

spankmeister posted:

so this has actually happened then?

On a few occasions, last time was after the old lady got her hip replaced (her husband hasn't really been able to navigate stairs for 5-6 months at all, and she does with difficulty) and she warned me her kids, and grandkids would probably be about and to make sure I had something on if I heard folks in the backyard.

Glad I did, came out one afternoon, and her 15 year old grand daughter was hanging over the fence petting my dogs, and wanted to talk about chiptune music that I was working on. I plan on putting a gate on the one along the back, cause even if they pass, if their kids move in, their kids are pretty cool, but walking around naked in sight of a child, or anyone who has an issue with it = no bueno.

She's told her kids about me, in the case they move back. . . but like I said, they're cool too, and I'd hate to lose a good neighbor cause of a privacy fence, but I'd hate more to lose a neighbor, getting arrested, and put on a registry because their children saw me cutting the grass wearing nothing but boots.

doesn't need my suits

enotnert fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 27, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

doesn't need my suits

lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

theres no controls

left or right or a and d or even clicking on either side will do it
i guess i'll put in some instructions for dumbsl

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
running out of things to do with SA Needful other than upkeep so time for a new project, not sure what though

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
whoa your new av is awesome

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

whoa your new av is awesome

thank, it was found in the pics thread

also im thinking of something with unity (dunno what though) and not sure whether to use javascript, which i am slightly used to it, or try using c# for another resume checkbox if i spend enough time on it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ahmeni posted:

left or right or a and d or even clicking on either side will do it
i guess i'll put in some instructions for dumbsl

I tried all of these things and nothing at all happened and then when I died it told me to press the key or something without specifying any key or w/e

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Valeyard posted:

also im thinking of something with unity (dunno what though) and not sure whether to use javascript, which i am slightly used to it, or try using c# for another resume checkbox if i spend enough time on it

c# is pretty great, if you wanna do something game-ish then it + unity really are your best bet.

definitely dont use javascript that's a disaster in the making for any project of significant size (which im guessing yr final year project is)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

I tried all of these things and nothing at all happened and then when I died it told me to press the key or something without specifying any key or w/e

sounds like you didn't have focus on the thing

Valeyard posted:

c# is a nice language and the unity javascript stuff is not worth learning. if you want to roll with javascript then Phaser is supposed to be nice

Dec 26, 2012

imo go with c# for sure

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

enotnert posted:

fence status

hows the property line dispute goin

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

c# is a nice language and the unity javascript stuff is not worth learning. if you want to roll with javascript then Phaser is supposed to be nice

fair enough. I have just seen quite often that a lot of documentation and examples seem to favour javascript for some reason. but c# will be fun to use. Phaser looks really cool, thanks for that. it reminds me of the guys at Jagex and how impressive it is that they managed to do Runescape in javascript and now html5

01011001 posted:

imo go with c# for sure

coffeetable posted:

c# is pretty great, if you wanna do something game-ish then it + unity really are your best bet.

definitely dont use javascript that's a disaster in the making for any project of significant size (which im guessing yr final year project is)

oh yeah my final year project..

well, very tentatively speaking, if I could get someone to supervise me just making some sort of game in unity, using c#, then that would be perfect

the safety choice will be another webdev project using django since i know i could probably do something interesting with that and also find someone to supervise that

outside of that, I am still not really sure what else just yet

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Progressive JPEG posted:

hows the property line dispute goin

called the original surveyors this morning, they agreed they might have misjudged on a few points, so they're gonna check historical data and see whats up.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
have you considered that if youre a dude who walks around nude all the time and your neighbour is upset you built a fence and wont yell at you directly that he may be jerkin it to you on the down low

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

have you considered that if youre a dude who walks around nude all the time and your neighbour is upset you built a fence and wont yell at you directly that he may be jerkin it to you on the down low

cut a glory hole in the fence and test the waters

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

ahmeni posted:

I wish that were the case, but honestly, i could almost see it out of this guy. . .

He has a bunch of expensive poo poo, including a high end pontoon (with no reg numbers/etc) on the side that he used to roll the trailer into his backyard, and have a party all night, with nothing but women in bikinis.

He might be overcompensating, no clue.

Dudes a jackass though (and normally I don't walk around nude in the backyard, unless I know he's away, or it's late at night and his motion sensing lights in his backyard aren't on).

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
next time you see him,

helicopter dick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so i dont know the name of the kind of computer i am thinking of but its old as gently caress and its like the computer entry is a series of binary switches and on the front of the machine is lights indicating binary data or something

anyway i dont know mch about them but since reading a book on assembler ive been really intrigued

so im going to imagine out loud this "project" . i am thinking arduino but i dont know

im picturing this board
th input is a series of 8 switches. each represents a bit. youre entering instructions into a simple computer
and on the right maybe it has like 8 instructions i can hold. there is a light indicating what instruction will be performed next
so you're coding this simple 8 bit computer that has like 8 bytes of memory
and it can perform instructions on itself like add two numbers or move memory
and so you program it. and run it
and also i think maybe display as hex? itd require a LOT of led things to come off a smal ardy

as i type this out it seems less cool

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes