Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

In recent news: The Big Bang Theory: Half of Americans ‘Doubtful’ it Happened

:negative:

Edit:

quote:

Nobel Prize medicine winner in 2013, Randy Schekman, of the University of California Berkeley, explains why the poll might display surprising results.

“Science ignorance is pervasive in our society and these attitudes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts,” Schekman said, via The New York Daily News.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Royal W posted:

We already know how Cosmos ends: everybody, everything, everywhere dies.
Oh god that is going to be a depressing nihilistic episode unless Neil makes up some bullshit that in the future we will figure out how to leave this universe to another parallel universe.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was at my folks' place for Easter dinner on Sunday. I have a really religious family and most of them have been watching Cosmos. My young nephews stayed after dinner while their parent's went to an Easter concert. My mom had us watch some religious videos and then something got brought up and I mentioned how it was illustrated well on one of the last episodes.

One of my nephews mentioned he hadn't watched it yet. So we ended up watching the first episode. The kids got bored and turned to their tablets to play Minecraft, sadly, but it sparked some good discussion for the rest of us. Primarily, when the Big Bang was mentioned, my mom said "well that's only a theory, right?" as she's a bit incredulous towards a lot of these things. I then had a chance to explain what a scientific theory means and how it's only made after extensive testing, not just a guess on a whim and how proofs are really only found in math.

It made me really happy and we watched most of this last episode when it aired live together. I'm not entirely thrilled with this series, but can say it's sparked good thought and discussion from my family members who are deeply religious and not too scientifically literate.

Also, a few pages back someone mentioned wanting to return to school to study physics but is afraid of the math. I'm in my mid 30s and am in my 3rd quarter of returning to school to pursue an engineering degree while also working full time. I ended High School at intermediate algebra and C averages in math since 6th grade. I started community college at the lowest math class offered many years ago. I've never take chemistry or physics or any math above basic trig so it's been kicking my butt (I'm in Calculus I now). I'm way happy to be learning these things, though, and there's so much info online to help it make sense. If you're willing to give it the effort it's definitely doable.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

404notfound posted:

I wish water weren't so central to every episode. It's really weird hearing NdT constantly say "warter."

I was wondering if I was the only one bothered by the way he pronounces the word.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MY GIRLFRIEND in college pronounced it "wutter," so it could be a lot worse. She was from Pennsylvania. Plus it's Neil, not my ex, so that alone makes it infinitely easier to listen to.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
My dad says warter and he's from Sumter, SC

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I honestly don't see a huge backlash to this current Cosmos. I think the few examples we've seen really were just people fishing for stories to laugh at fundies with. If anything, I'm surprised whatever backlash that exists isn't louder.

The general impression I'm getting is despite all the anticipation, the show really just isn't registering on many peoples' radar. People would rather talk about sports or Game of Thrones.

I'd like to believe the lack of controversy is a product of how the anti-science crowd really doesn't have good ammunition when directly confronted with all these positive narratives regarding scientists, but I think it's more simply a product of how the general public debate of science is still largely marginal.

Maybe people will talk about this show if it does an episode that's blatantly pro-vaccine, because that sad, sad "debate" is striking a nerve on social media at least.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

People just didn't get the memo; don't worry, a commentary in The Minneapolis Star Tribune will set them straight towards the truth:

quote:

Reclaiming the Big Bang as the story of creation
Scientists and some believers resist, but this event is but a physical marker on a spiritual timeline.

Article by: DAVID PENCE

Teaching many Catholic students over the last decade, I’ve been struck by how often my students have said: “I don’t believe in the Big Bang. I believe in God.” They had absorbed the lessons of both TV science shows and too many religion classes that keep God and his creation in separate compartments. The reboot of the “Cosmos” television show has replaced the pomposity of Carl Sagan with the affability of Neil deGrasse Tyson. But it still consists of the stunning video backdrop of God’s grand universe described by a smug materialist scientist who shrugs his shoulders at causes and purposes. In the name of science he misdirects our attention to the shrunken reality dealt with in the approved experiments of the official science bureaus. But about 14 billion years ago there was a great event. In a few seconds, amid an inconceivable release of energy at the highest temperature in the history of nature, all the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up the physical universe appeared from a point density which had contained them all.

The physical world of matter has existed ever since. It did not exist before. Shall we call that event the beginning of reality? How can we? The idea would violate a fundamental principle of causality in logic and philosophy.

The Christian understanding is simpler. Before there was matter, there was a spiritual reality that is the cause of the material. There was God, who has no beginning and is apart from all created reality as the one Uncaused Cause. He is eternal — outside of time.

NDT is shrugging his shoulders at causes and purposes, that smug materialist scientist!

quote:

The product of the Big Bang is a universe that obeys a set of laws in which most of matter is accelerating and dissipating into the cold vacuum of space. But on a particular planet revolving around a particular star there exist particular conditions to sustain the life breathed into matter by the spirit of God. It is on this elected planet that God set aside a garden and called forth another spiritual being incarnated in matter. That’s us. Our purpose is to do the will of the father by acting as the human species bound in love with each other as the body of Christ. We are charged with winning back the rest of Earth from an evil angel who was cast out of the heavens and has not yet been fully separated into the cold isolation of hell that awaits him as well as the angels and humans who joined his rebellion.

It is only in the last 100 years that the clarity of the creation of matter has been dated by scientific observations and deductions. Agnostic physicists and materialist scientists scoffed at the notion of matter appearing in a single instant of time. The theory was first proposed by a Catholic priest/scientist in Belgium (Georges Lemaître in 1927) who was less offended by the logic of the proposal.

I'm not sure why materialists would be offended by the idea but sure.

quote:

An atheist physicist (some physicists are atheists; some are Muslim, Hindu, Confucian or Christian) coined the term “big bang” as an insult to the priest and others who he felt were biased by the biblical account of a sudden created beginning of the universe. For a century (and still today) science textbooks pontificated as a “law of conservation” that “matter can be neither created nor destroyed.” Some ideologies are spectacularly resistant to larger truths.

He goes on like this for another few paragraphs. But who is this David Pence?

quote:

David Pence is a radiation oncologist in Alexandria, Minn., and a science teacher.

:negative: Not like this.

e: vvv He's also a science teacher, which is the bigger disappointment for me.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 27, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

:negative: Not like this.

Get it out of your head that doctors are scientists. Most doctors couldn't care less if they were peddling snake oil or the real deal as long as they get paid. When I was a freshman tons of premeds protested against the bio department's evolution mandate because they were god fearing premeds.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

AzureSkys posted:

Also, a few pages back someone mentioned wanting to return to school to study physics but is afraid of the math. I'm in my mid 30s and am in my 3rd quarter of returning to school to pursue an engineering degree while also working full time. I ended High School at intermediate algebra and C averages in math since 6th grade. I started community college at the lowest math class offered many years ago. I've never take chemistry or physics or any math above basic trig so it's been kicking my butt (I'm in Calculus I now). I'm way happy to be learning these things, though, and there's so much info online to help it make sense. If you're willing to give it the effort it's definitely doable.

Pretty much the same here as well. I'm going in for NDT, nondestructive testing and the math is what freaks me out. I've purchased a few self-teaching books in prep for my fall classes, but goddamn- having my math book stolen the entire last year of high school really hosed me up, and I graduated back in '04.
But like you, I'm beyond happy as I enjoy trying to live up to autodidact standards. I am also extremely thankful for Khan Academy and Stanford Online, et al. I can't wait to be in the NDT field. Something, something, joke about initials.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

What is this picture exactly? Saw it in this article but without any captions or description.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's called SteveJacieNeil1980 on that page. I'm guessing it's just a picture of NDT with two of his friends back in 1980.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's on like five days a week! How much proof do they need?? :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So I wonder how stupid this week's episode will make me feel. :v:

Oh gently caress YES I was dying for them to finally get around to light pollution.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It took me until either last week, or the week before, to realize that in the intro it pauses slightly on CS before spreading out to spell Cosmos. Is that because it's Carl Sagan's initials or am I reading too much into it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bear with Tail always looks hilarious to me.

The Subaru Logo is my favorite star cluster too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yes mythology to explain natural phenomena :swoon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Awww yes, Devil's Tower

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Bear out of nowhere!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Orion you creep

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I think I saw Richard Dreyfuss climbing over a rock

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wow Zeus they just wanted help, not to be stars

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

No do not pray to Zeus, you are women!!!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Hi ladies, I'm Orion :pervert:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Cue Benny Hill chase music...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Weird that it opens with Devil's Tower. I watched Close Encounters last night for the first time.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I think I saw Richard Dreyfuss climbing over a rock

I had an urge for mashed potatoes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Eh he is a son of a Greek God, its in their nature.

He also got blinded by a douchebag king because he (the king) didn't want to give his end of a bargain

He got cured of this blindness by staring at the rising sun.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Weird that it opens with Devil's Tower. I watched Close Encounters last night for the first time.

This post makes me feel real old

Kammat posted:

Just don't build a giant clay model on the dining table.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Kammat posted:

~/o Look with care, for the shape of a square ~/o

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

I swear to god if this part started with "they plead to the Rock to save them" and ended with IF YOU SMELLLLL!!!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Robnoxious posted:

~/o Look with care, for the shape of a square ~/o

Thirty-seven years later and Barry's abduction still thoroughly creeps me out :stonk:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MrTpug posted:

I swear to god if this part started with "they plead to the Rock to save them" and ended with IF YOU SMELLLLL!!!

According to their legends, the gods answered and did drop the People's Elbow upon the bears, ending the danger.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
"Computers" :smug:.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Pickering was totally bangin these ladies though right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like how the one lady is using one of those handheld hearing aid devices that stupid people see in pictures and think its a time traveler or something.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Marlee Matlin is totally gonna win an Emmy for her voice overwork on this program, right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Sucks to be you Mercury and Venus!

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Model rocketry such an extreme pursuit that it's endorsed by both red bull and mountain dew, who knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Gamma ray bursts are awesome.

• Locked thread