Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sea Otter posted:

Also, while Feargus refers "we", how many of his employees want to work on AAA games? I read some of them complaining of spending their time on bug-fixing due to the added layers rather than more creative tasks and inflexibility in changing writing after voice-recording process.

My understanding from previous interviews was that what they wanted didn't really come into it. Either they get occasional AAA work, or they have layoffs. People can always leave if they hate AAA development that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

coffeetable posted:

As an aside, Feargus mentions it'd take $15m minimum to turn out a AAA game, which is equivalent to ~700,000 full-price $35 sales of PE at a 60% profit margin. Some interesting comparison points: first that PE has ~120,000 backers already according to another Feargus interview (up from 75,000 in the Kickstarter), which suggests that 700k sales might be in reach, and second that The Witcher 2 had ~250,000 digital sales in it's first six months, which suggests 700k sales would be incredible.

e: $4m for a PE2 would need ~200,000 sales. Though the amount needed for a PE2 is probably a fair bit lower thanks to the toolchain already being developed.

Them getting all the money they need to do a AAA release probably won't happen, but the more money they get, the better the position they will be in at the bargaining table when they meet with a publisher.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

coffeetable posted:

As an aside, Feargus mentions it'd take $15m minimum to turn out a AAA game, which is equivalent to ~700,000 full-price $35 sales of PE at a 60% profit margin. Some interesting comparison points: first that PE has ~120,000 backers already according to another Feargus interview (up from 75,000 in the Kickstarter), which suggests that 700k sales might be in reach, and second that The Witcher 2 had ~250,000 digital sales in it's first six months, which suggests 700k sales would be incredible.

e: $4m for a PE2 would need ~200,000 sales. Though the amount needed for a PE2 is probably a fair bit lower thanks to the toolchain already being developed.

So what you're saying is we have to pitch in and buy as many copies of this for our non-goon friends as possible, gotcha. Way ahead of you.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

Them getting all the money they need to do a AAA release probably won't happen, but the more money they get, the better the position they will be in at the bargaining table when they meet with a publisher.
I hope that's what they managed to get from Paradox.

CottonWolf posted:

My understanding from previous interviews was that what they wanted didn't really come into it. Either they get occasional AAA work, or they have layoffs. People can always leave if they hate AAA development that much.
The part which I feel uneasy is that, hypothetically, if I were to pledge on such project, it would not be for the game itself but to help them keep the IP and employees, which feels like kind of hostage situation. So, it's nice to see that Feargus seems to have a better plan...fingers-crossed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A sci fi open world game by Obsidian would be great stuff. Just don't use a lovely engine :v:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sea Otter posted:

I hope that's what they managed to get from Paradox.

My impression of the Paradox deal is Paradox are not providing any funding for development and they're not getting any say in the development. They're just getting the rights to sell physical copies of the game, and will make their money from a cut of those sales.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

coffeetable posted:

My impression of the Paradox deal is Paradox are not providing any funding for development and they're not getting any say in the development. They're just getting the rights to sell physical copies of the game, and will make their money from a cut of those sales.
Yeah. They haven't revealed the info since it's confidential but my "impression" is something similar. In any case, Obsidian seem to have managed to keep the IP and their own development process.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sea Otter posted:

Yeah. They haven't revealed the info since it's confidential but my "impression" is something similar. In any case, Obsidian seem to have managed to keep the IP and their own development process.

I thought it was clarified in no uncertain words that Paradox is basically there to manufacture and sell boxed copies for them in Europe.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That and handle other physical fulfillments, PR, and similar publisher things. It's still completely our IP and product to develop.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Sorry, just going back to that article again - the Skyrim style game they were making in their Project Eternity universe isn't intended to be a AAA 3D first person game funded by someone else, but a similar Infinity Engine style game using their tech that is open-world in the vein of Skyrim.

They talk about it in This old RockpaperShotgun interview

quote:

“What I’m trying to figure out is, how could we make something that is more like a Skyrim for PC – forget console for now – with the engine we made in Unity for Eternity? Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that. If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do?”

“How much would it cost? Would it make sense for it to be episodic? Because going out there and saying, ‘We’re gonna make 100 hours of gameplay,’ everyone goes, ‘Oh my god, how could it not cost millions?’ But could we create ten hours and have people pay ten bucks? And generally when we say ten hours, it’s usually 15. But if we go with five episodes, then people get between 50 and 75 hours.”

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Not so sure:

quote:

Where do you see Obsidian in five years?

Where I'd like us to be is we've made another big RPG, we're maybe working on another one. We're on Eternity 3 or 4. We've also branched into maybe other product lines - maybe there is both the isometric Eternity and a Skyrim-like Eternity.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

coffeetable posted:

Here's another comparison point, different genre and release model obviously but, Broken Age had 87k initial backers and came out to rave reviews, and only sold 70k copies after 2 months.

I encourage people to watch the latest episode of the Double Fine documentary if they have access, it focuses on the post-release sales side of things and it's super interesting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scorchy posted:

Here's another comparison point, different genre and release model obviously but, Broken Age had 87k initial backers and came out to rave reviews, and only sold 70k copies after 2 months.

I encourage people to watch the latest episode of the Double Fine documentary if they have access, it focuses on the post-release sales side of things and it's super interesting.
Thing is Broken Age got split into two parts, so a lot of people are waiting for the whole game to come out before buying it. People do the same thing with Telltale and their games. I guarantee that once Part 2 comes out the sales will start rising. Eternity won't have that problem so I think it'll be raking in profits faster.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 27, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sea Otter posted:

Also, while Feargus refers "we", how many of his employees want to work on AAA games? I read some of them complaining of spending their time on bug-fixing due to the added layers rather than more creative tasks and inflexibility in changing writing after voice-recording process.
That's just project management, more features mean more bugs and VA locks down writing. You can't always do what you'd rather yourself be doing.

Beyond that, the ~100 person staff the studio has in hale times needs to get paid and that doesn't happen if they don't more than one 8 figure project to work on. The amount of people dedicated to PoE seems comparitively small. There are people who probably chip in but their paychecks are being written by that shady Russian conglomerate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

You can't compare the two. Broken Age had been (gutted is too harsh a term) explored in the entertainment news for its management issues and was split in half before release. I've NEVER bought just the first episode of an episodic game, and there are probably MANY like me.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

I thought it was clarified in no uncertain words that Paradox is basically there to manufacture and sell boxed copies for them in Europe.
You probably mean words by Obsidian devs but what I meant was that, precisely speaking, the contract was not revealed. They openly refused to publicize it, clearly telling it's between Obsidian and Paladox: A problem with the third party involvement is that it inevitably makes a blind spot to the backers. However, even if the contract is in a black box, personally, I am quite optimistic about this one. Then again, do we have more objective basis outside of what Obsidian told us? So, I'm just trying to be cautious here. This is why I feel uneasy about the possibility that they may end up with doing a similar thing with bigger margin. Putting more people on the table may mean bigger amount of money but the risks also increase.

rope kid posted:

That and handle other physical fulfillments, PR, and similar publisher things. It's still completely our IP and product to develop.
Yeah, I know but, I'm feeling uneasy about whether it can stay in that way or not if Obsidian are going for bigger projects.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Beyond that, the ~100 person staff the studio has in hale times needs to get paid and that doesn't happen if they don't more than one 8 figure project to work on. The amount of people dedicated to PoE seems comparitively small.

Sea Otter posted:

The part which I feel uneasy is that, hypothetically, if I were to pledge on such project, it would not be for the game itself but to help them keep the IP and employees, which feels like kind of hostage situation. So, it's nice to see that Feargus seems to have a better plan...fingers-crossed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Thing is Broken Age got split into two parts, so a lot of people are waiting for the whole game to come out before buying it. People do the same thing with Telltale and their games. I guarantee that once Part 2 comes out the sales will start rising. Eternity won't have that problem so I think it'll be raking in profits faster.

Maybe, but I'm still a bit worried at the pricepoint the game is at (which I'd say is still fair, but new players might be wary). But then, I'm angling to buy people I know the game anyway to pad out some of those sales, hopefully to introduce them to the genre and garner some more interest.

Edit:vvvv I meant PoE, not Broken Age

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 27, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Maybe, but I'm still a bit worried at the pricepoint the game is at (which I'd say is still fair, but new players might be wary). But then, I'm angling to buy people I know the game anyway to pad out some of those sales, hopefully to introduce them to the genre and garner some more interest.

If you want to introduce them to the genre, the Blackwell games a really nicely done, too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Even if people find the launch price a bit steep Obsidian will still make a total killing when Steam sales roll around. I really wouldn't be that worried really, I mean everything Obsidian gets from Eternity is just pure profit now.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
I'm optimistic about Pillars of Eternity's sales prospects. It isn't an adventure game getting released in 2014; it's a party based fantasy RPG, and there are plenty of examples of really successful fantasy RPGs in recent years. Dragon Age I suppose isn't all that recent any more but it's of the same genre and it did really well. The main issue is that it's not likely to have a huge marketing push behind it, although Paradox are presumably going to be promoting it some extent so there's that going for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Even if people find the launch price a bit steep Obsidian will still make a total killing when Steam sales roll around. I really wouldn't be that worried really, I mean everything Obsidian gets from Eternity is just pure profit now.

Maybe, but keeping entirely to budget can be tricky, and even if they do make a profit, if it isn't big enough to warrant/pay for an expansion or continued work in the setting that's certainly going to lead to some problems. I guess my avatar is a bit too accurate because I'm just worried about my favorite developer I guess :ohdear:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

I've NEVER bought just the first episode of an episodic game, and there are probably MANY like me.
Halflife 2?

(Curse you Valve.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FRINGE posted:

Halflife 2?

(Curse you Valve.)

:negative:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, can you guys at Obsidian make it so that you can use crafting materials from a chest or something rather than having them in your inventory when you're in your stronghold? It's not really a big thing, but it makes things require less busywork to manage when you can just toss your crafting materials in a chest and then forget about them until you need them, unlike in the older games where you have to carry that Widget until you can get the Thingymabob to make the Gadget, wasting inventory space and weight.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

So, can you guys at Obsidian make it so that you can use crafting materials from a chest or something rather than having them in your inventory when you're in your stronghold? It's not really a big thing, but it makes things require less busywork to manage when you can just toss your crafting materials in a chest and then forget about them until you need them, unlike in the older games where you have to carry that Widget until you can get the Thingymabob to make the Gadget, wasting inventory space and weight.

IIRC, your inventory comprises
  • an infinite stash, which you can put items into wherever you are, but only take items out of at camp
  • a pack whose size is dependent on your stats, and which is accessible outside of combat
  • a small belt which is accessible anywhere any time.
Considering the amount of thought that's gone into eliminating inventory juggling, I'd guess that crafting kit is taken directly from the stash when it's needed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Otto Skorzeny posted:

There's not enough tea in the world to make a Wheel of Time RPG

There is sort of a Wheel of Time RPG, but it's a FPS/RPG hybrid. The singleplayer was a weird puzzle-spellcasting thing with some combat and the multiplayer was so far ahead of it's time, it's only now starting to be rediscovered (the old Orcs Must Die was bascially 1-player Wheel of Time multiplayer, while the new Orcs Must Die MOBA sounds like it's straight up Wheel of Time multiplayer).

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Incidentally, I hold an irrational grudge against the late Robert Jordan.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Incidentally, I hold an irrational grudge against the late Robert Jordan.

But how do you feel about the post-late-Robert Jordan Robert Jordan?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

coffeetable posted:

Considering the amount of thought that's gone into eliminating inventory juggling, I'd guess that crafting kit is taken directly from the stash when it's needed.
It is.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

You can't compare the two. Broken Age had been (gutted is too harsh a term) explored in the entertainment news for its management issues and was split in half before release. I've NEVER bought just the first episode of an episodic game, and there are probably MANY like me.

I got episode 1 of Broke Age regardless as I was a backer, however if I had to buy it then I would have waited until I knew they were making episode 2.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Will Rangers (or some sort of Survival / nature skill) affect the camp supplies requirement for outdoor resting? Will you be able to discover or create rudimentary camp supplies while in the wild if you have the necessary skills/items?

Will there be "failed" resting attempts (ambushed by enemies), and if so, are there any consequences like loss of camp supplies, negative status effects, inability to immediately rest again, etc?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eddain posted:

Will Rangers (or some sort of Survival / nature skill) affect the camp supplies requirement for outdoor resting? Will you be able to discover or create rudimentary camp supplies while in the wild if you have the necessary skills/items?

Will there be "failed" resting attempts (ambushed by enemies), and if so, are there any consequences like loss of camp supplies, negative status effects, inability to immediately rest again, etc?

It would be nice if there were things that affected your camping supplies or enemy avoidance at the expense of, say, health regeneration or something. I know at some point it starts looking like you're just playing a spreadsheet game, but if you're a ranger or hunter of some kind I wouldn't expect it'd be hard to use less supplies or resupply over the night (because you've hunted or gathered or something), and also if you absolutely need to not fight enemies because you have super low health you should be able to increase your chances of avoiding enemies ambushing you at the expense of getting enough sleep to heal you completely or something.

I don't know.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There are no random encounters on resting:

Josh Sawyer posted:

We don't have random encounters on rest. Resting always takes 8 hours and will restore characters to full Health, remove Maimed and other long-term afflictions, and restore all per-rest abilities/item charges.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Will there be any sort of mechanic to discourage players from doing the old 1 rest per fight trick? I remember cheesing certain portions of Icewind Dale II by doing this, even in areas where it made no sense like uncleared forts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VanSandman posted:

Will there be any sort of mechanic to discourage players from doing the old 1 rest per fight trick? I remember cheesing certain portions of Icewind Dale II by doing this, even in areas where it made no sense like uncleared forts.

Supplies and civilized resting bonuses. Also not being built on a horrible hulk of DnD rules allowing saner encounter tuning but I might be approaching polemic level with that comment.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Resting spends supplies, an item type that has a fairly low inventory cap (I think 6 in total at the easiest difficulty?) and have to be bought/found in the world.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eddain posted:

Nothing affects the camp supplies requirement. There may be some areas where a high Survival will help you scrounge together resources as a specific interaction that grants camp supplies.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

Nothing affects the camp supplies requirement.

It would be sweet if you could toggle/increase that in the options.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I got episode 1 of Broke Age regardless as I was a backer, however if I had to buy it then I would have waited until I knew they were making episode 2.

And you could probably get it at 50+% discount in steam, before final episode is released. (Telltale seasons :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Gyshall posted:

It would be sweet if you could toggle/increase that in the options.

I know some gamers get really angry when others don't play single player games in the most hardcore fashion. And invent words like save scumming to really show how wrong it is to play a game to have fun. But I would also have liked a way to change that part of the game.
I must admit I don't quite understand a need to even limit resting, but then again I used save game editors in all the IE games, having a game be a challenge is clearly not a priority for me.

• Locked thread