Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Was hoping he'd at least bring up the poo poo filled Ganges when toilet talk came up, the GBS threads on poo poo filled India were pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relentlessboredomm posted:

When tomorrow? Is it up a full 24hrs after it starts or will be up around noon. I seriously can't find this info anywhere. HBO is terrible about posting the schedule of how/when shows make it to HBOGO.

I dunno man, check tomorrow. Or do the thing you know can be done and live a life unburdened by desire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Fantastic first episode.

"Why are you voting for that man?"

"Because he appeared to me via hologram and promised me a toilet."

That was the line that sold me on this show.

smokestersky
Aug 30, 2007

This is the song that never ends
It just goes 'round and 'round, my friends
Some people started singing it
Not knowing what it was
And we continue singing it forever just because
Calling Donald Sterling "A walking before photo" had me giggling more than anything should.

This has serious potential, especially if Oliver can keep cutting deep. Stewart seems to always pull back last minute, but with HBO's support, this show can go bone deep. And we honestly need that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dug this a lot. I'm familiar with Daily Show despite not having seen much and can definitely see where this show takes influence from that, but it seems more refined and less shouty while still managing to be funny and biting. I'm on board.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This is still nowhere to be seen on HBOGO. This is bullshit, I work very hard for the HBOGO access that I steal from my girlfriend's parents' account :mad:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
*strawberry Pop Tarts* Go gently caress yourself.

That’s what sold me on the show.

That, and “let’s deal with Gandhi first, and I know that’s not the first time those words have been said with a British accent.”

Hell, I didn’t even KNOW about the Indian elections until last night, so I already feel well informed AND entertained!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

How are u posted:

This is still nowhere to be seen on HBOGO. This is bullshit, I work very hard for the HBOGO access that I steal from my girlfriend's parents' account :mad:

The first episode is on youtube, at least!

I really liked the first episode! It kind of feels like a cross between The Daily Show and Charlie Brooker's Newswipe or something.

I won't be truly satisfied by it until Andy Zaltzman makes an appearance, though!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's like The Daily Show, but with a more energetic anchor, a more worldly perspective, no commercials, and no guests shilling their movie/book.

:allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

It's like The Daily Show, but with a more energetic anchor,

Wait, really? A large amount of the clips I've seen of Stewart have him yelling his rear end off. Has he calmed down in his old age?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
This is so fantastic. I'm hooked.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bown posted:

Wait, really? A large amount of the clips I've seen of Stewart have him yelling his rear end off. Has he calmed down in his old age?
Stewart's still great, but Oliver's run on The Daily Show was a breath of fresh air.

Stewart sometimes uses the persona of someone who is fed up with bullshit, but totally expects it and is almost bored with it. Maybe it's just an evolution of his persona after doing it for nearly 15 years now. Oliver's comedy brings a renewed sense of WTF urgency... that is hosed up.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm surprised it is actually being broadcast in South America, The Daily Show Global Edition lasted a few months before it was dropped from the channel that had it.

I thought it was good, really looking forward to finish my sundays with this, the coverage of India's election reminded me of The Bugle, which is a great thing; the Gandhi joke was great. Also, loved the Lisa Loeb bit, she's still cute.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really enjoyed the more global scope of the show and John Oliver as a host. I don't really watch the Daily Show, but I could get into this one.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I dunno man, check tomorrow. Or do the thing you know can be done and live a life unburdened by desire.

Hahah I want to be legit because I love Jon Oliver and want to make sure his show gets all the views I can give it.

And its up on HBOGO now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HOW DARE YOU SAY I TAKE MONEY
This was a great first episode, it's like The Daily Show and The Bugle had a baby with all their strengths and none of their weaknesses. I wish it were an hour long though.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

The first episode is on youtube, at least!

I really liked the first episode! It kind of feels like a cross between The Daily Show and Charlie Brooker's Newswipe or something.

I won't be truly satisfied by it until Andy Zaltzman makes an appearance, though!

Hopefully they'll have a segment soon that demands a Senior Lapsed Jew Correspondent.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raditts posted:

This was a great first episode, it's like The Daily Show and The Bugle had a baby with all their strengths and none of their weaknesses. I wish it were an hour long though.

I think an hour might be too long. They already have to throw in little vignettes to break up John talking at the camera. I can't deny I'd like to see more, though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think an hour might be too long. They already have to throw in little vignettes to break up John talking at the camera. I can't deny I'd like to see more, though.

Seriously, in one of those vignettes they kept telling the same joke over and over again!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CobiWann posted:

Seriously, in one of those vignettes they kept telling the same joke over and over again!

It was a good joke, though. Russia is a, uh... nation with a gas station?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What the gently caress was that even supposed to mean? I guess the real joke there is "McCain is senile as gently caress and lol you people wanted him to be president."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raditts posted:

What the gently caress was that even supposed to mean? I guess the real joke there is "McCain is senile as gently caress and lol you people wanted him to be president."

I think most people who voted McCain were more enthused about a woman as VP (excluding those who were just voting against Obama). Given who that particular woman was, it's not really a point in their favor.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 28, 2014

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

I think most people who voted McCain were more enthused about a woman as VP (excluding those who were just voting against Obama). Given who that particular woman was, it's not really a point in their favor.

I think, in the end, Palin proved to be more of a liability than an asset for McCain. And I might be wrong, but before the election, didn't he have a reputation as a straight-shootin' maverick? On paper he was a pretty good Republican candidate.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

He was making the same joke along the lines of "Prussia is just an army that happens to have a nation."

I think.

Don't look at me, I voted for Biden.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Still Fluxing posted:

I think, in the end, Palin proved to be more of a liability than an asset for McCain. And I might be wrong, but before the election, didn't he have a reputation as a straight-shootin' maverick? On paper he was a pretty good Republican candidate.

McCain was only ever a "straight shootin' maverick" as far as that he claimed he was one a lot so I guess people just eventually started believing him. He was always full of poo poo and always toed the party line, though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

It means McCain doesn't really have any ideas to improve things and in this age of social media has fully embraced the role of repetitive talking head.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CobiWann posted:

He was making the same joke along the lines of "Prussia is just an army that happens to have a nation."

I think.

Don't look at me, I voted for Biden.

Makes sense that McCain remembers jokes about Prussia.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I agree that was fantastic, and I hope the "Workplace of the Week" segment actually is a weekly thing, because that would make this show basically the only pro-labor outlet on TV... or in America for that matter.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Still Fluxing posted:

A while back he was respectable. An actual friend of the Daily Show. But then he campaigned for Bush in 2004, transparently in exchange for support from that camp for his turn in 2008. It was hard for anyone to have any respect for him at that point. Given what Bush/Rove had done to him in the 2000 primaries. And then Palin happened and now he's just in crazy old man/Catskills comedian mode.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Naylenas posted:

I really like his tendency to shush the audience almost immediately after telling a joke. Makes me hope they'll just nix the audience altogether at some point.
I had mixed feelings on this. It made the show move along quicker, sure and helped him pack material in there, but it made the whole thing a 30 minute rant with no room to breathe. The odd laugh or applause break would have made it feel more...Comfortable.

And you did find yourself wondering why they even had an audience if that's the way they were going to do it. I'm glad there's no pointless buffer of cheering when it cuts to or from other segments/the non-commercial breaks though.

Anyway, good show. Will watch again. (It will probably get cancelled because America doesn't care about India.)

edit: also could they compromise and make it like 40, 45 minutes long? Or does everything on HBO have to round to the nearest half hour?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2014

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Thordain posted:

Fingers crossed for a visual version of the Bugle.

Pretty sure the India segment was just a more refined version of a recent Bugle episode (which I agree is a good thing).

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Good show, but was a little fast paced and kind of exhausting to listen to... I think maybe some correspondent segments would break it up well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys complaining about its fast pace must be REALLY a product of the twitter generation, jesus christ. Just pay attention for thirty minutes and learn a thing or two. God drat.

Quit being so lazy. Would you guys not be able to sit through an hour long comedy show anymore? Can you not watch Eddie Murphy's Delirious or anything?

haha.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That was great, and I'm incredibly tempted to download/print some of those food labels.

Man Comedy Central has to be kicking themselves. If they had offered John Oliver a show earlier he could've very nicely taken Colbert's block after a year of building an audience but instead they lost both Oliver and Colbert. This will definitely be a weekly watch for me.

Jagchosis posted:

I agree that was fantastic, and I hope the "Workplace of the Week" segment actually is a weekly thing, because that would make this show basically the only pro-labor outlet on TV... or in America for that matter.

This. I was so happy to see that bit and I hope they do it every week or at least every other week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

You guys complaining about its fast pace must be REALLY a product of the twitter generation, jesus christ. Just pay attention for thirty minutes and learn a thing or two. God drat.

Quit being so lazy. Would you guys not be able to sit through an hour long comedy show anymore? Can you not watch Eddie Murphy's Delirious or anything?

haha.

I wouldn't go this far but it is a little disconcerting to see how many people had trouble keeping up. The only times I felt lost were when I had stopped paying attention, and that's hardly the show's fault.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bown posted:

I wouldn't go this far but it is a little disconcerting to see how many people had trouble keeping up. The only times I felt lost were when I had stopped paying attention, and that's hardly the show's fault.

This is specifically why they have those produced segments interspersed--workplace of the week, the Oregon Health spot, etc. They're very well aware that a single voice will grow monotonous, grating, and dull over a half-hour period, so they're very conscientiously chunking it up with fake commercial breaks. Very clever, I think.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Alls I can say about this show is first off, it better not interrupt The Bugle like last week :argh: and secondly-

raditts posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. As a loooong-time Bugler, John Oliver getting his own show is fantastic. And it was fantastic!

Really not used to his hair being so...well-groomed though. And new glasses!

raditts posted:

I think it's supposed to be a swipe at how irrelevant and unimportant Russia is. "This place sucks, it's basically only good for supplying gas to the better parts of the world!"

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I think it's supposed to be a swipe at how irrelevant and unimportant Russia is. "This place sucks, it's basically only good for supplying gas to the better parts of the world!"

Probably the next thing out of his mouth was a demand we bomb/invade it, because that's about all John McCain says now. Maverick indeed.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Alls I can say about this show is first off, it better not interrupt The Bugle like last week :argh:

It seemed like John, Andy and gently caress You Chris all needed the week off. John had his new show, Andy was in Luxembourg and Chris had a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Naylenas posted:

I really like his tendency to shush the audience almost immediately after telling a joke. Makes me hope they'll just nix the audience altogether at some point.

I think it's important for a comedian to have an audience and kind of control it for pacing. Some do it by steam rolling the audience by just delivering jokes over the top of them and others let the laughter play out. I think the former really gives a sense of urgency and for his one spot at you a week I think it's great. Feels like a packed chunk of comedy.

I don't think stand up-ish comedy without an audience is ever a good idea. Feels like some avant garde performance piece of a guy telling jokes to no one. You avoid the audience wrangling, sure, but it's just so sterile. The Bugle is great because Andy and John are there to be their own audiences.

I like the show. It's very much HBO wanting their own Daily Show episode on a Sunday. I think the international slant helps it avoid being a retread and The Bugle has proven Oliver's comedy is fantastic about international affairs.

• Locked thread