Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Weren't there a few maps on Z Special Disc where you played as a bunch of villians? I know that some of the early maps in Selena's route in Alpha 3 had you teamed up with some SEED villians too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Weren't there a few maps on Z Special Disc where you played as a bunch of villians? I know that some of the early maps in Selena's route in Alpha 3 had you teamed up with some SEED villians too.

Yes, Z Special Disc had a specific enemy route where you played as most of the less-reprehensible villains (Beck, Timp, Jerid and his crew, the Extendeds) and ended up fighting a unique version of Black Charisma.

It even shows how Beck upgrades!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I never played the Z Special Disc. I keep hoping it will be released for cheaper than usual as a PSN archives game...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I never played the Z Special Disc. I keep hoping it will be released for cheaper than usual as a PSN archives game...

I doubt it ever will. It's kinda not a game even though it technically is.

It's a really good gimmick disc though. It had enough content I didn't feel bad about buying it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of Noriko, should I bite the bullet and just buy this, or is there a sign that either Gunbuster or Diebuster will EVER get the bluray treatment?

Gunbuster got a bluray 2 years ago, but the price has doubled to like $300 since then, but there it is I guess! The Artbook is cool as heck.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 27, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EthanSteele posted:

Gunbuster got a bluray 2 years ago, but the price has doubled to like $300 since then, but there it is I guess! The Artbook is cool as heck.
What IS it with Japan and anime prices? Those discs could be made of pure gold and I wouldn't be willing to pay that price!

edit: rhetorical question, I know that Japan has ultra-otakus who will pay it and more and more, the anime industry is just marketing to them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Prism posted:

...Chirico, right? I'm pretty sure Paptimus isn't in this game.

Also, though I haven't seen EVOL so I can't speak for its accuracy, that version of Genesis of Love is horrible.
Hahaha, oops. I was having a conversation with someone about possibly watching the Zeta movies when I made that post.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What IS it with Japan and anime prices? Those discs could be made of pure gold and I wouldn't be willing to pay that price!

edit: rhetorical question, I know that Japan has ultra-otakus who will pay it and more and more, the anime industry is just marketing to them.

I know your pain man. There's a reason I don't own JoJo season 1 on Blu-Ray.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

Now I want to see a gimmick game where they change all the plots to make the usual enemies into the good guys and have you control them.

The noble army of Zeon combines forces with noted freedom fighter Dr. Hell to defeat the evil Earth Federation and free Japan from the iron fisted tyranny of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

Preserve the status quo and save Area 11 from Zero! Terrorism is bad! Hail Britannia :britain:!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Preserve the status quo and save Area 11 from Zero! Terrorism is bad! Hail Britannia :britain:!
No joke, a game where Suzaku/Anya/Gino were on your side to start with and Zero only joined at the tail end of the game could work. Of course, it'd have to be paired with the right shows.

And then you could have Orange join you at the start of the game and then disappear and reappear throughout the game, each time more over-the-top and each time with a stupider mech.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone remind me which mecha series started the "You have control.", "I have control" exchange, like the one Latouni/Shine do for their RHB attack in OG2?

vv Oh.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 27, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Rascyc posted:

Can someone remind me which mecha series started the "You have control.", "I have control" exchange, like the one Latouni/Shine do for their RHB attack in OG2?

...Airplane pilots? :v:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ethiser posted:

Now I want to see a gimmick game where they change all the plots to make the usual enemies into the good guys and have you control them.

The noble army of Zeon combines forces with noted freedom fighter Dr. Hell to defeat the evil Earth Federation and free Japan from the iron fisted tyranny of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

It's actually really easy to do this with Mazinger since Dr. Hell was secretly a good guy the whole time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also Getter Energy is basically depicted as an Eldritch Horror most of the time. Heck one of the enemies in the manga are guys coming back in time to destroy Getter Robo before it can evolve into Getter Emperor which is usually depicted as not a very nice robot.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It'a actually like 95 bucks but it's still kinda expensive for most people. Though I think considering the videogames this thread is about, it's actually not that bad.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 27, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Uznare posted:

It'a actually like 95 bucks but it's still kinda expensive for most people. Though I think considering the videogames this thread is about, it's actually not that bad.
Oh okay, I guess that's more reasonable.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I'm on the second mission of what feels like is going to be a string of "gently caress you, here's the D team. Take on these bosses." Does this eventually end?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

Okay so I'm on the second mission of what feels like is going to be a string of "gently caress you, here's the D team. Take on these bosses." Does this eventually end?

Which D-Team do you mean? I don't think there's any particularly lengthy strings of that.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Which D-Team do you mean? I don't think there's any particularly lengthy strings of that.

The units I never used. Like, Gurren Lagann, Gurren, Big O, Gunbuster, they're all gone! It's very upsetting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

The units I never used. Like, Gurren Lagann, Gurren, Big O, Gunbuster, they're all gone! It's very upsetting

Did you go on a route split without them? That's pretty much the only reason you'd lose those guys for any given period of time and you should have all the top-tier units from whatever route split you went on.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Did you go on a route split without them? That's pretty much the only reason you'd lose those guys for any given period of time and you should have all the top-tier units from whatever route split you went on.

I've done a bad thing.

edit: Thank God I hadn't saved since then

Squallege fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 27, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squallege posted:

I've done a bad thing.
The only route split I can find that makes you lose all those units lasts, uh, five stages. Whoops.

On the other hand it has Basara.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Rascyc posted:

vv Oh.

I want to say that Betterman did that, but it's a while since I've seen it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rascyc posted:

vv Oh.

If you're looking for a more roboty example it's also what they said to switch pilots between the two-person mechs from Betterman

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I know that was also kind of a thing with 00 Gundam when it was airing. I don't think it made it to meme status though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Eva-0 kai sure gets poo poo for weapons. The standard rifle and then punch, no progressive knife even.

Also, I have always wondered, is that knife "progressive" because it somehow moves forward on its own mechanically, or just because it is advanced technology? Or does it favor gay marriage or something?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe when they do the Zeruel fight in Z3-2 Rei can get an N2 mine or something.

Because right now she's just there to heal and Support-Defend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eva-0 kai sure gets poo poo for weapons. The standard rifle and then punch, no progressive knife even.

Also, I have always wondered, is that knife "progressive" because it somehow moves forward on its own mechanically, or just because it is advanced technology? Or does it favor gay marriage or something?

Eva-00, unfortunately, gets basically jack-poo poo in the Rebuild movies. Maybe if they go to Rebuild 03 you can get a Rei with Eva-09 but the basic unit has pretty much nothing. It doesn't even get the blue paint job.

I'm pretty sure it's progressive because it can push through AT Fields but it's probably just a case of Engrish Sounds Cool.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, quick Z2 question. I'm almost 100% done Z2-1's flow chart, I'm just missing that one Follow Celestial Being: Dimension Tremor choice stage. Do I have to complete a 4th run just to get that one stage filled in, or can I complete that stage, save, and move onto Z2-2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Hey, quick Z2 question. I'm almost 100% done Z2-1's flow chart, I'm just missing that one Follow Celestial Being: Dimension Tremor choice stage. Do I have to complete a 4th run just to get that one stage filled in, or can I complete that stage, save, and move onto Z2-2?
Does completing every stage in Z2-1 give you some bonus in Z2-2?

I'm at the big (looking) decision in stage 40 of Z3-1. Without spoiling anything, which way do you think I should go for the first playthrough?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 28, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does completing every stage in Z2-1 give you some bonus in Z2-2?

Yeah. You get a ton of money along with some items and every pilot gets some bonus PP and kill counts just for beating the game once. It adds more cash, PP, and kills for each subsequent completion, and it gives you another 1st game completion-sized bonus plus items if you complete the scenario chart 100%. I'm guessing I can just do that one stage and transfer over because it asks me to save system data every time I save my regular game, but I wanted to be sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm at the big (looking) decision in stage 40 of Z3-1. Without spoiling anything, which way do you think I should go for the first playthrough?

There is no clear idea of what the decision influences from what I've seen so go for what you want.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Policenaut posted:

To fully complete Z2-1 you need to play through 4 times. yes that silly 4 choice split needs to be played individually each time. It did however lead me to doing my 4th playthrough as ONLY Gundams (and Gurren Lagann, cause...Gurren Lagann) which ended up being super entertaining.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Is there some kind of quick and dirty list of the various between mission choices and what they do in Z3? Since I understand exactly 0 Japanese I am just always selecting the first option on my first playthrough and hoping I don't lose any of my favorite units for too long. I haven't used any of my PP yet while I wait for someone to come up with a list for the Japanese reading impaired as well heh. I have one I used for Z2 but I don't think they match up.

The game is fantastic though seems a tad on the easy side for a Super Robot Wars. Maybe I'm not far enough to get into the really nasty stuff. I'm on stage 25 I believe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Z3/Flow_Chart

Here you go.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Awesome that is perfect. Thanks!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Say, is this a generic event BGM in Z3? Because it's pretty :rock:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Policenaut posted:

Saving after completing that stage should do it, as it's the system data save that matters for this.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Brunom1 posted:

It's not generic, it's used a few times for certain plot events, like The Soul of Alpha was in Alpha 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Brunom1 posted:

Rascyc posted:

There's a really cool theme that plays in Z3 right when good things are about to happen/are happening but it's not a selectable combat BGM, which made me really sad. It doesn't come up a lot either.

Yep, that's the one.

• Locked thread