Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The sad realization that your Idle Thumbs in-joke will, to most people who get it as anything at all, play as a reference to the Halo 4 launch campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ja2ke posted:

The sad realization that your Idle Thumbs in-joke will, to most people who get it as anything at all, play as a reference to the Halo 4 launch campaign.

So what you're saying is he should have stuck to bird noises

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You know, if I could buy it GoD I'd probably have bought Titanfall by now. I've been jonesing for a multiplayer shooter and have no idea which army-mans shooter is the current popular one that's the least broken, and I looove big robots and MOBAs.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Not that you need another thing to eat up your time but do you ever think about doing a podcast or video series of Hex Crank, Cole?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I record everything I play, so the video is there. I would love to do a YouTube series, but you're right in noticing that I'm spread a little thin. My day job requires about 50 hours of "creative" work spread over a very irregularly scheduled week. All of the podcast stuff fits in around the edges of that. Time and energy are my biggest constraints. Right now my goal is to keep plugging away at the written articles, hopefully improving with each one. I'd love to reach a regular enough release rhythm that I can free up time and attention to expand it.

I'll likely attempt a Let's Play once I get to a game that's more visually engaging. Alone in the Dark might be fun.

Edit: Thank you for asking about it. I'm very proud of that blog and it's nice when people bring it up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Can I tell you a shameful secret? I mostly "read" Hex Crank via Siri because I work in HR which is basically the highest paid job you can get where you might spend an hour working as a file clerk once a week. If you had a small scale Kickstarter to have your blog read by I dunno goon va Lou I'd contribute at least 40 bucks.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Has anyone else been listening to Draft Souls? I'm really digging how they just call out bullshit in games, but if you're a fan of that bullshit it could maybe be annoying I guess. They seem to line up with my tastes pretty well though.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Stan Taylor posted:

Has anyone else been listening to Draft Souls? I'm really digging how they just call out bullshit in games, but if you're a fan of that bullshit it could maybe be annoying I guess. They seem to line up with my tastes pretty well though.

Considering I can't find them on Google or iTunes, nope.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably Stan meant Daft Souls.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Man, a fantasy football * Souls game sounds like addiction waiting to happen. Field a team of knights and see who the hell has the sticking power to actually save the realm.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Probably Stan meant Daft Souls.

That's what I get for posting on my phone. Yeah, Daft Souls. Sorry.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Man, a fantasy football * Souls game sounds like addiction waiting to happen. Field a team of knights and see who the hell has the sticking power to actually save the realm.

Twist: Its not actually football, Coach Seeker Frampt has tricked you into selling concessions.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Of note to this thread's interest: Riff from Video Games Hot Dog was kind enough to guest on this week's Abject Suffering. We talk about Samurai Ghost for a bit and then we question what a German person hears when a homeless person speaks.

http://duckfeed.tv/asp/35

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Sorry for the inadvertent double-post, but we have an announcement.

First, the Shadow of the Colossus episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, and it's really good.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/72

Up next is Killer7, Alpha Protocol (with an interview from Chris Avellone), and then X-Men Legends II.

The bigger announcement, though, is that we've launched a Patreon. This is what we're doing to fund the live show this year, and also to continue funding the network to do cool stuff. Check out the rewards, which we think are really cool (~~most notably~~ you can get access to our episodes a day early).

http://www.patreon.com/duckfeedtv

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Super Best Friendcast is probably my #2 podcast right now. I just finished the "Aryan Resurrection" episode, which has an incredible reason for that episode title, and pretty much every episode has been a gut-buster.

I got a bit pissed when they started ranting about adblockers, I use one since I've had security issues with...what's the term, infected banner ads I guess? On legitimate sites no less, I think even SA had multiple security issues like that in the past. But they took a similar fire-and-brimstone approach to adblockers as Patrick Klepek did(short of saying adblock users can "die in a fire", even in jest) and it was kinda gross. I'm with Jeff in that these days ads are almost completely useless because they're mostly bogus anyways, I specifically allow the user-purchased ads on SA through but block everything else since the user-made ones can lead to interesting threads. I can understand people getting mad for losing revenue from adblock, but at this point you should start seeking other methods of generating money with your site, such as subscriptions and such that Giant Bomb have, because I really don't think the banner ad system is going to hold up forever, it definitely seems like a bubble that's getting to the bursting point. And I don't want to risk security compromises from infected ads.

I also think that the sheer intensity that they talk about everything with probably made it sound like they were wayyyyy more angry about it than they actually were, but I guess that's the power of their enthusiasm when talking. Especially Pat. Pat enunciates like a motherfucker about EVEEERRYYYYYTHHIIIIING! But still, great poo poo and I would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone, even though I cannot give even half a gently caress about real wrestling, they still talk about it with such heart that it's enjoyable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Song For The Deaf posted:

The bigger announcement, though, is that we've launched a Patreon. This is what we're doing to fund the live show this year, and also to continue funding the network to do cool stuff. Check out the rewards, which we think are really cool (~~most notably~~ you can get access to our episodes a day early).

I listen to at least three of the shows you guys do so the least I can do is throw you money. I supported the WOFF kickstarter and I'll gladly support this too. Keep on bearding my beard brothers!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I listen to at least three of the shows you guys do so the least I can do is throw you money. I supported the WOFF kickstarter and I'll gladly support this too. Keep on bearding my beard brothers!

This is greatly appreciated! Regarding beards, I'm riding this train until it crashes.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ohhhhh daaaaamn. New Tone Control just went out, with guest Ken Levine. Pretty excited for this one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat Jake I had the exact same reaction/emotions about both the ET thing and the Star Wars cast thing. I know a lot of people in real life that actually got excited about it and it really confused me. I guess they loved the urban myths, but I think we've all known about it because of the articles published about it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh yeah, I loved that discussion. So much of "nerd culture" poo poo is just endless hype for stuff I don't give a poo poo about. Also I'd love to see a fuckin Von Trier spiderman movie.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

Signing up for your patreon was a no-brainer for me (I listen to the vast majority of the duckfeed podcasts), but I'm kinda disappointed it's not another Kickstarter, because during your last one I spent several minutes seriously struggling over sending in my real name (which I ultimately did) or filling out the Kickstarter survey as "I have a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt".

I'm only saying this now because this may be the only time/place that anecdote is remotely germane.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
You know, I was on the fence, but then Gary breaking it down Slater-style had me convinced. I guess I'm 3/3 on regularly giving money to people who make podcasts I enjoy now. Suck it, advertisement guys who say people won't pay for podcasts!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Twitch posted:

I'm kinda disappointed it's not another Kickstarter, because during your last one I spent several minutes seriously struggling over sending in my real name (which I ultimately did) or filling out the Kickstarter survey as "I have a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt".
As someone who didn't let his better nature win that particular battle, I have to say hearing Kole lose his poo poo when reading my "name" out was the best.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Stan Taylor posted:

Ohhhhh daaaaamn. New Tone Control just went out, with guest Ken Levine. Pretty excited for this one.

You didn't mention that it was the final Tone Control at least for a while. Upsetting!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

As someone who didn't let his better nature win that particular battle, I have to say hearing Kole lose his poo poo when reading my "name" out was the best.

Were you Weedlord Bonerhitler?

If so, you know my Love Language (a language consisting of nothing but Weedlord Bonerhitler repeated over and over again).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
More late 'Hardware Peripherals" chat!

I know you guys mentioned the Dreamcast keyboard, but did you mention the monstrosity that was the Gamecube keyboard controller?

I believe it was only ever useful for Phantasy Star Online, which I never played. I imagine that there is a large amount of text entry in that game that is made easier with a full keybaord instead of an on-screen one? Or was the keyboard actually required?

And I think you mentioned the Super gameboy, (which I totally invented when I was 10 about a year before it was ACTUALLY released. gently caress you for stealing my idea, Nintendo! t:mad:) but did you mention its Gameboy Advance/Gamecube cousin, the Gameboy Player?

And going along with the "Gameboy Advance + Gamecube" family is the link cable:

Mildly useful if you wanted to be a dick and drop bombs on your friend as Tingle, but also all but required for Four Swords Adventure or Final Fantasy: Crystal Tactics.

Fun note: The original version of the cable was designed for the original Gameboy Advance, and was thus too wide to use for the Advance SP. It would cause the L and R shoulder buttons to be permanently pressed down.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I love GameCube peripherals.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that a crew actually used five gamecubes with four GBA players and a copy of Crystal Chronicles to do the ultimate setup of that game, but now I can't find it.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And going along with the "Gameboy Advance + Gamecube" family is the link cable:

Mildly useful if you wanted to be a dick and drop bombs on your friend as Tingle, but also all but required for Four Swords Adventure or Final Fantasy: Crystal Tactics.

Fun note: The original version of the cable was designed for the original Gameboy Advance, and was thus too wide to use for the Advance SP. It would cause the L and R shoulder buttons to be permanently pressed down.

Cool note about this, the "Tingle Tuner" feature for Wind Waker was used by speedrunners for a glitch known as the "Zombie Hover". Essentially, if you lost all your health a specific way, you could mash your controller to hover and skip some really large portions of the game. Problem is, as soon as you touched ground, you'd die. However, Tingle Tuner allows you to purchase hearts and heal immediately. So speedrunners zombie hover to where they need to be, quickly use the GBA to give themselves some health, and land safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTPINL7UQs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Gameboy player was probably the best peripheral I ever had for a console, because it allowed me to experience the majesty that is Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ja2ke posted:

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that a crew actually used five gamecubes with four GBA players and a copy of Crystal Chronicles to do the ultimate setup of that game, but now I can't find it.

Are you thinking of this LoZ: Four Swords playthrough?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Possibly yes! That was probably way more fun than playing 5 system FF:CC.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Idle Thumbs please talk about Mad Men at the end of every podcast, the show has been on fire these past few episodes.

Sally Draper is the best character on the show :colbert:

Video games!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ja2ke posted:

Nobody's mentioned the Wavebird which I adore even without the rumble. And I have craved that keyboard controller for over a decade even though I have no use for it. God the Gamecube's so great.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I heaped some praise on the Wavebird in the Hardware episode. It's a very important controller.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lugaloco posted:

Idle Thumbs please talk about Mad Men at the end of every podcast

No, don't.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Szmitten posted:

Nobody's mentioned the Wavebird which I adore even without the rumble. And I have craved that keyboard controller for over a decade even though I have no use for it. God the Gamecube's so great.

I have four wavebirds plugged into my Wii still, just for smash bros and Pikmin 2.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Lone Goat posted:

No, don't.

Give iiiiiiin.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

ja2ke posted:

I have four wavebirds plugged into my Wii still, just for smash bros and Pikmin 2.

You guys should totally do a Smash Bros. stream sometime!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Lugaloco posted:

Give iiiiiiin.

i was wondering why i couldnt remember any part of the episode, went back and realized it was all white noise i usually tune out: dota talk, spelunky talk, tv talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jake, these might interest you, I registered around the time Derek Smart first erupted like a festering pustule onto these forums and it was a glorious trainwreck. His ego is nothing short of legendary.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=60

Which eventually spawned this glorious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

• Locked thread