Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
remember when vitor belfort almost kicked Jones' head off at the start of the fight and Big John was all "you had it coming." ? Well I hope the same thing happens when somebody breaks Jon Jones fingers in the first seconds of a fight and Herb Dean shrugs his shoulders.

you know what

gently caress zuffa. kiss my gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Breaking news

Glover Teixiera posted:

"First i wanna thank all the people who sent me messages. It wasnt my time. I gave my best, Jon is tough, he took all my shots. i'll have to get my rib and shoulder checked and I tore a muscle in my ab. The shoulder is not dislocated, but the doctor said it could have been dislocated during the fight, and it popped back in place, possibily damaging a ligament. I'll get an MRI this week".

"If I could go back in time, i probably wouldnt be surprised by that arm lock in the beginning of the fight. I think i'd stick with the same strategy, close the distance and try to knock him out, i just wouldnt let him put me against the cage. I'll be back. I'll train harder. I'm 34, but i feel great. Every experience makes me learn more. Yesterday i fought and it didnt even feel it was for the belt. I thought i'd get nervous if i ever fought for the belt, but no, i was calm, watching the technique, what i was throwing. Jon is a great fighter and he beat me, now i have to go back and try to beat him again".

"I remember the entire fight. I knew i was losing the rounds. The strategy was to close the distance, hit a lot of body shots to tire him and then take advantage of it to go for the head and knock him out. But i couldnt do it, because after the lock my shoulder popped. I trained to take him down but couldnt do it, i am someone who doesnt gameplan a lot, i am always trainning to be ready in all martial arts. I knew he was gonna try to take me down so i trained getting up, submissions from the back. He is very good. The shoulder injury impaired my striking, i lost power in the third round, then i got cut, but it was all from the fight, its not an excuse, jon did it all, he hurt me during the fight and because of that i couldnt execute my gameplan".

Brazilian loses fight, says it was all due to the skill of his opponent and injuries his opponent inflicted on him.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So, speaking of GIFs from this weekend, has there been a better flying knee KO in MMA than the one that Beal hit? Oh my fuzzy goodness that was glorious.

Chinzo Machida had an insanely sick flying knee last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvLdE5j5sw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

Breaking news

Brazilian loses fight, says it was all due to the skill of his opponent and injuries his opponent inflicted on him.

Glover loving owns.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lid posted:

Breaking news

:unsmith:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So, speaking of GIFs from this weekend, has there been a better flying knee KO in MMA than the one that Beal hit? Oh my fuzzy goodness that was glorious.

I can't think of one in MMA that's so aesthetically clean from the knock outer and the knock outee but here's some other notable insanely cool flying knee KOs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPv8qIzck8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJYo6sH5OQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdOtjjVkis

and some kickboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TpJwCNW3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4DxeuVvzI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I can't think of one in MMA that's so aesthetically clean from the knock outer and the knock outee but here's some other notable insanely cool flying knee KOs:

You missed one that is probably as aesthetically clean and legendarily appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGjmRXA0xc&t=300s

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hahahaha i haven't seen it in so long. nothing that perfect will ever happen again

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

The first round really sets it up though. For those that haven't seen it, watch the whole fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hahahaha i haven't seen it in so long. nothing that perfect will ever happen again

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376985&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Edit: didn't even get to see that live as at the time I was absolutely trashed on vodka having the party of my life. Was worth it though. Looking that up reminded me the reason I have archives is because someone here ran a thread on guessing who Overeem's opponent at Dynamite would be and I got lucky with Todd Duffee. We need more contests like that.

Lid fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 28, 2014

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPv8qIzck8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJYo6sH5OQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdOtjjVkis

and some kickboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TpJwCNW3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4DxeuVvzI

Oh dunc<3 You always have the goods

e: I love telling the Aoki/Nagashima story. Its too good.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

I don't actually know who this is but it's pretty loving cool.

edit oh nevermind it was just posted in video form

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

You missed one that is probably as aesthetically clean and legendarily appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGjmRXA0xc&t=300s

To fully appreciate this one for anyone who hasn't seen it, you need to watch Shinya's shameful antics in the previous kickboxing round.

E: derp. Don't know how I missed TheReverend's post.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that flying knee to the dude bouncing off the ropes is incredible

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Only youtube vid I found for it was a camcorder pointed at a TV set to "Bodies" by Drowning Pool(I'm not loving posting that), but I've always loved James Irvin's flying knee on Terry Martin. There's something so perfect about the way Irvin keeps jogging through the momentum afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eEQ6Cig7c

Also, this one was great too. Especially for how Fishers body was almost entirely behind Wiman when it landed.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lid posted:

Breaking news

Welp, Glover owns.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

canoshiz posted:

holy sht

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This and Buakaw/Kohi are the two best things that knees have ever done.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

henkman posted:

James Irvin/Terry Martin

I was just re-watching the Beal gif and remembering the ol Sandman.

And this wasn't a clean KO, but Aldo's double flying knee was pretty amazing:

And James Irvin:

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 28, 2014

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

That Aoki fight is actually near perfect and probably the funniest fight I have ever seen, I saw a replay just when I was starting to get into mma and solidified it as a the spectator sport for me.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Another good flying knee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i37N05_4tM

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Here's another good flying knee by Yolo Romero

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Belle Isle Tech posted:

This is beautiful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Novum posted:

I love Gomi and when he wins my heart glows with warmth. Serious post.

Agreed

Other stuff:

JBJ is still a stupid idiot but my heart warmed just a bit in the late rounds where he started going off on Glover on the fence with those uppercuts and elbows. Yet another position where he can murder people.

My fav flying knee is Condit/Stun-Gun, but that rope bounce gif is pretty loving wild too

Rumble Johnson looked incredible and seeing him and Brenneman on a card together at their proper weights is hilarious. Thanks a lot for giving JBJ a reason to smile Davis. :mad:

Luke Rockhold owns and I hope they give him his Vitor fight.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Belle Isle Tech posted:

The spring that that man has, jesus.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yo count, you asked a few pages back where I saw Mike Goldberg getting pissed about people making fun of him over his on-air gaffes and it's at the end of the youtube compilation of his fuckups I was replying to.

Edit: Good card if you like cool guillotines too. Fuckin' Joe Benavidez forcing Tim Elliot to tap out with his feet, Miller putting a guy cross-eyed and celebrating under his limp body hahahaa.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 28, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Those Rockold gifs should just focus on the bit where he casually locks up the triangle without looking. Too slick.

Jon Jones needs to get called on his eyepoke technique, it's just incredibly blatant and happens every single fight. He doesn't appear to need to cheat, and he'd probably stop if he didn't get away with it.

If you reach your hands out with your fingers outstretched, you're a dirty fighter.

Johnson has the best hands I've seen at LHW for some time, and if his wrestling defense it that good he might actually have a chance. It's very obvious that he's benefited from Henry Hooft's coaching.

Funniest moment of the night: Johnson misheard Henry Hooft in the corner between rounds.
Hooft said:"Your cardio's sick"
Johnson heard:"Your cardio's poo poo", looked butthurt and said "My cardio's not poo poo...".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

wooger posted:

Johnson heard:"Your cardio's poo poo", looked butthurt and said "My cardio's not poo poo...".

:lol: so that's what that was about. That and Rogan constantly saying "Eyebow" made this a weird card. I wonder if Johnson figured it out or if he was handling Davis while thinking "wtf why'd my coach say my cardio sucks"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Count Roland posted:

that man has jesus.

He does indeed.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

wooger posted:

Those Rockold gifs should just focus on the bit where he casually locks up the triangle without looking. Too slick.

Jon Jones needs to get called on his eyepoke technique, it's just incredibly blatant and happens every single fight. He doesn't appear to need to cheat, and he'd probably stop if he didn't get away with it.

If you reach your hands out with your fingers outstretched, you're a dirty fighter.

Johnson has the best hands I've seen at LHW for some time, and if his wrestling defense it that good he might actually have a chance. It's very obvious that he's benefited from Henry Hooft's coaching.

Funniest moment of the night: Johnson misheard Henry Hooft in the corner between rounds.
Hooft said:"Your cardio's sick"
the best fighter always needs his signature cheats. look at mayweather. he wouldn't be nearly as cool if he just outboxed people without elbowing them in the face and throat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'd like to see how effective Jones would be with his fingers taped shut. People always talk about how his opponents "seem to get more tentative" as the fight goes on. In the Glover fight it was never more obvious that opponents get more hesitant to come in because they're afraid of getting raked in the eyes. Jones needs to get the same treatment Super Fence Holding Guy got from Yamasaki that one time. It's one thing to cheat subtly without getting caught, like subtle cage grabs and the like, but Jones' eye poke technique is like 90% of his game away from the fence and the referees just ignore it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm glad people are seeing Glover is really cool, sad it is only happening in defeat.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

I'm glad people are seeing Glover is really cool, sad it is only happening in defeat.

While Glover was smashing people PSP said he sucked, and after losing five rounds to Jones PSP decided he was good.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd like to see how effective Jones would be with his fingers taped shut. People always talk about how his opponents "seem to get more tentative" as the fight goes on. In the Glover fight it was never more obvious that opponents get more hesitant to come in because they're afraid of getting raked in the eyes. Jones needs to get the same treatment Super Fence Holding Guy got from Yamasaki that one time. It's one thing to cheat subtly without getting caught, like subtle cage grabs and the like, but Jones' eye poke technique is like 90% of his game away from the fence and the referees just ignore it.

He'd probably still beat the poo poo out of people.

Or he'd learn from Winklejohn and start cutting eyes with his toenails.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

canoshiz posted:

that was one of his cool gimmick moves against overmatched thais, the other was bruce lee style leaping side kicks directly to the face, the good poo poo

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

While the eye poking is kind of lovely it is also quite possible that Jones opponents tend become progressively mot tentative because they have the living poo poo beaten out of them when they try to engage.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yo count, you asked a few pages back where I saw Mike Goldberg getting pissed about people making fun of him over his on-air gaffes and it's at the end of the youtube compilation of his fuckups I was replying to.

Edit: Good card if you like cool guillotines too. Fuckin' Joe Benavidez forcing Tim Elliot to tap out with his feet, Miller putting a guy cross-eyed and celebrating under his limp body hahahaa.

All it needed to get all the different guillotine boxes ticked off was a twister.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

If you said it was 10% of his game away from the cage you'd still be grossly exaggerating.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I love watching Jones fights. You'll either see that amazing moment where he finally gets dethroned and has a hilarious meltdown afterwards, or you'll (much, much more likely) see him beat the poo poo out of people in new and interesting ways. It's win/win.

Watching goons go through the five stages of grief in the GDT after the fact is icing on the cake.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

MassRafTer posted:

JDS only had nice things to say about Cain immediately after the second and third fights too. Give him a month and a Portuguese interview before you start building him up as the most humble Brazilian.

• Locked thread