Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Guys, guys. Rumchata is good.

Is that like horchata with rum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My friend described Rumchata as "the milk left over when you eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch," and after trying it I can't really disagree at all.

poo poo's delicious.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Is that like horchata with rum?
Yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Not-Linkin Park willingly chose to have themselves playing in a disgusting men's urinal. How appropriate.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Having all but the last few episodes of a heavily serialized show on Netflix is the dickest move.

I'm currently having Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood withdrawals.

These things are related.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood are about the only anime I'd feel comfortable recommending to normal real life people, largely because both series are about the only ones I can think of that aren't sort of creepy towards women (maybe because the writer of the original manga was a woman).
Paranoia Agent is the other anime I've seen all the way through that isn't casually misogynist, but it's...Lynchian meets Japanese culture, so most people would check out after one episode.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Spatula City posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood are about the only anime I'd feel comfortable recommending to normal real life people, largely because both series are about the only ones I can think of that aren't sort of creepy towards women (maybe because the writer of the original manga was a woman).
Paranoia Agent is the other anime I've seen all the way through that isn't casually misogynist, but it's...Lynchian meets Japanese culture, so most people would check out after one episode.

I love Paranoia Agent. "Happy Family Planning" is one of the greatest episodes of anything.

My current scoot loudout in TF2 is based on Lil' Slugger.

I just wish the series was easily available for purchase.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Skype job interviews.

Don't have much to add beyond that. It's one of those wonderfully casual futurist type things.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, if you don't watch shonen, most anime is kinda okay about gender issues. Serial Experiments Lain, Princess Nine, ARIA, Madoka Magica, Turn A Gundam, Noein, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Attack on Titan all handle it pretty well, just off the top of my head. Really the only thing that makes FMA unique is that it's a shonen series that isn't misogynist as gently caress, rather than being targeted to a demographic other than young boys.

(I have seen waaaaay too much anime. :smith:)

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 28, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Skype job interviews.

Don't have much to add beyond that. It's one of those wonderfully casual futurist type things.

you dont have to wear pants for those

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
GRAD SCHOOL DECISION UPDATE: They just sent me an e-mail announcing that Zizek will be lecturing there in the fall, and the director claims to have publishing ties at the New York Times and New Yorker.

Guys, there's a chance this school might actually be legit.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zVxTeflon posted:

you dont have to wear pants for those

Don't have to... or aren't allowed to???

Vargo posted:

GRAD SCHOOL DECISION UPDATE: They just sent me an e-mail announcing that Zizek will be lecturing there in the fall, and the director claims to have publishing ties at the New York Times and New Yorker.

Pfft, I'd do it. But I enjoy wasting money on education and learning opportunities above all else.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Throw a shoe at Zizek, please.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Bordello of Blood is a very enjoyable movie and not in a "so bad it's good" sort of way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

echoplex posted:

Bordello of Blood is a very enjoyable movie and not in a "so bad it's good" sort of way.

Oof.

If you had said Demon Knight, I'd back you, but Bordello of Blood? Oof.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I agree. It's horrorble.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Billy Zane hammin' it up in Demon Knight was glorious.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Vargo posted:

Zizek will be lecturing there in the fall

I'm not sure that the evidence supports the conclusion.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Vargo posted:

Sensationalist marketing and "guest lecturers" point to a school being the opposite of legit. If the only selling point to you is "connections" surely there's a cheaper way to get an "in" with the NY Times or New Yorker.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Don't do Grad School.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oof.

If you had said Demon Knight, I'd back you, but Bordello of Blood? Oof.

I don't hate Bordello of Blood, but yeah, Demon Knight eats its lunch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vargo posted:

I'm so intensely jealous of you right now. I haven't even been able to see the dude live. Actually taking a class with him would be amazing. Him, David Harvey, and Andrew Kliman are all on the list of professors I wish lived even reasonably close by.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vargo posted:

This would actually make the school seem less legit to me, actually. I mean, the school is probably legit as in they will take your money and you will get a degree at the end.

Žižek is notorious for hating teaching in any form besides talking for three hours straight, and actively tried to trick students in order to avoid interacting with them, and at that point you might as well watch him on YouTube

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Žižek is notorious for hating teaching in any form besides talking for three hours straight, and actively tried to trick students in order to avoid interacting with them, and at that point you might as well watch him on YouTube

Well to be fair, a lot of the non-Žižek professors are like that too.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This would actually make the school seem less legit to me, actually. I mean, the school is probably legit as in they will take your money and you will get a degree at the end.

Seriously.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/29/slavoj_zizek_i_am_not_the_worlds_hippest_philosopher/

Slavoj Zizek posted:

But, paradoxically, I despise public appearances. This is why I almost stopped teaching entirely. The worst thing for me is contact with students. I like universities without students. And I especially hate American students. They think you owe them something. They come to you … Office hours!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargo posted:

Unless you're getting a full ride, don't do it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Skwirl posted:

This is still the approach I'm taking.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Fullride including room and board and they'll pay you extra for TAing. This degree program looks completely stupid, only do it if it basically becomes a year-long payed vacation in academia.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

That doesn't even make sense. :psyduck: How is trying to engage with the professor and ask for extra help "thinking he owes them something?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm watching Godzilla vs Biollante right now and this movie is bonkers.
In the first 15 minutes it goes straight from Commando-level '80s action movie, to personal drama about the loss of a loved one, right to psychics talking to roses. These 3 scenes are back-to-back.

edit: this fat guy keeps saying "Godziller."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm watching Godzilla vs Biollante right now and this movie is bonkers.
In the first 15 minutes it goes straight from Commando-level '80s action movie, to personal drama about the loss of a loved one, right to psychics talking to roses. These 3 scenes are back-to-back.

edit: this fat guy keeps saying "Godziller."

Biollante is definitely one of the wackier of the Heisei Godzilla movies but then right after it the same director does Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora and it blows it out of the loving water in that respect.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That doesn't even make sense. :psyduck: How is trying to engage with the professor and ask for extra help "thinking he owes them something?"

Because once you have the opportunity to parse his arguments and engage with his thoughts in any form other that disgusting wretch's tortured monologue, you quickly realize his points don't make any goddamn sense.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Surprise: he's an arsehole, but it's ok because of [reasons].

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Noxville posted:

Surprise: he's an arsehole, but it's ok because of [reasons].

Because being nice to people would require him to come up against the Real or the Abyss or the Platonic Form of not being a douchebag or something.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Just bought an iPad, but won't have a chance to play with it until I get home later on tonight. Aside from the obvious things like Netflix and YouTube, what apps should I add?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Just bought an iPad, but won't have a chance to play with it until I get home later on tonight. Aside from the obvious things like Netflix and YouTube, what apps should I add?

The Awful app, Wunderlist (for to-do lists), CalenMob (to get your Google Calendar synced), Mint (tracking finances), GrubHub, Kindle and Pandora are some of my go-tos.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus, GBS is bad.

Like, I know that's like saying water makes you wet, but god drat. When I left for a while everyone was being pretty chill but now it's just the occasional decent photoshop thread and "hurr hurr fag tranny lol"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Dropbox, Epicurious, Flipboard, Comic Zeal (if you're into that), Hulu/Netflix/Crackle.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Jesus, GBS is bad.

Like, I know that's like saying water makes you wet, but god drat. When I left for a while everyone was being pretty chill but now it's just the occasional decent photoshop thread and "hurr hurr fag tranny lol"

GBS has become the worst assortment of FYAD, BYOB, and people who pretend like they fit into either of those forums, and they just poo poo post all drat day.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Hearthstone is a good time-waster.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sigalert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man Pompeii is such cheesy trash. I kind of dug it though - mainly for Kiefer Sutherland twirling his moustache and chewing the scenery.

Dunno why it's getting such a panning.

• Locked thread