Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
You might want to check out Wodensthrone if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVjUpSEqJHA

I think someone might have mentioned this a few pages back, but Wedrujacy Wiatr is also definitely worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoRiED_kc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balagan
Aug 13, 2007
Not a huge black metal fan by any means, but I simply can't stop listening to At the Heart of Winter/Sons of Northern Darkness era Immortal. I just really dig the black/thrash sound that they developed in those albums. Can anyone here recommend any bands with a similar sound? would be much appreciated!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Inquisition are probably the closest band to Immortal in terms of sound tbh

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Vocally, maybe.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Balagan posted:

Not a huge black metal fan by any means, but I simply can't stop listening to At the Heart of Winter/Sons of Northern Darkness era Immortal. I just really dig the black/thrash sound that they developed in those albums. Can anyone here recommend any bands with a similar sound? would be much appreciated!

Check out I - it's basically an Immortal side-project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDfqrlSJP4
e: and Demonaz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zkdSdpEpE another Immortal side project.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2014

Balagan
Aug 13, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Check out I - it's basically an Immortal side-project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDfqrlSJP4
e: and Demonaz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zkdSdpEpE another Immortal side project.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Really like all of these, thanks.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Bought my ticket to see Mystifier in London because it's probably the only chance I'll get to see them, and the support is really good (Cruciamentum, Zom, Bolzer, Malthusian), but maaaan the venue was awful for Mgla. Hopefully they don't massively gently caress up the queue this time, as people were queuing for 2 hrs at Mgla and most people missed the majority of One Tail, One Head and Grave Miasma.

Anyway: The new Schammasch album is streaming. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet because it's a double album, but Split My Tongue is really good: http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/stream-schammaschs-new-album-contradiction-exclusively-terrorizer

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, apparently Countess has a new album.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

nomapple posted:

Ifing, Krigsgrav

Couldn't get into Krigsgrav, but I'm liking Ifing. Went ahead and preordered the digital. :cheers:

deadking posted:

Wodensthrone, Wedrujacy Wiatr

Wedrujacy is pretty much exactly the sound I was going for!

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 25, 2014

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

nomapple posted:

Bought my ticket to see Mystifier in London because it's probably the only chance I'll get to see them, and the support is really good (Cruciamentum, Zom, Bolzer, Malthusian), but maaaan the venue was awful for Mgla. Hopefully they don't massively gently caress up the queue this time, as people were queuing for 2 hrs at Mgla and most people missed the majority of One Tail, One Head and Grave Miasma.

Saw them last week, with Blasphemy, Black Witchery, Necros Christos, Impiety and many more. Mystifier was the absolute highlight though, one of the best performances I've ever seen. There's a write up of it with a couple of photos here, towards the bottom. I've never seen anyone look so thrilled to be playing live before.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Here are some hilarious black metal covers of that hideous new Avril Lavigne song.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/04/28/listen-two-black-metal-covers-avril-lavigne-chad-kroegers-internet-breaking-disaster-hello-kitty/

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.
http://shamelessnavelgazing.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/inquisition-and-black-metals-fascism-problem/

welp.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Black metal...by NAZIS?! Thank you no, sounds offensive.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I love how every time this happens, it is because a band said something about the Jewish side of Jesus. Songs about sodomizing Jesus with a hammer are A-OK, but call him a Jew? Wait until the blogosphere hears about that! Hypocritical.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I think racism and NS black metal is as doofy and ridiculous as any concept possibly could be, but the mentality behind making blog articles calling for a musical genre that is designed to praise evil and the destruction of humanity to become a "safe space" for anyone at all is genuinely hilarious.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
NSBM is terrible anyway who cares.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Inquisition isn't NSBM in any way though.

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.

skasion posted:

Inquisition isn't NSBM in any way though.

and they're good. I don't really care if they're only even mildly interested in Nazi poo poo. I'm completely fine with separating the band from its ideologies. [Burzum].

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Reminds me of when I drove from NC to Atlanta to the first Scion Fest, with Nachtmystium being one of the big reasons I went.

Turns out they got kicked off for being "NSBM" :what:

Druggies? Liars? Cheats? Stealers? Yes. But Nazis, no.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
There's not a host of photos of Blake Judd posing in front of Nazi flags etc though. And he doesn't have a side-project with songs such as "14 shower heads, one gas tight door".

I mean, I don't care either way, and there's always the fact that Nazism is provoking/shocking to people of all races and backgrounds so it's effectively the easiest way shortcut to offense. But there's a lot more poo poo to make stick here than with a band like Nachtmystium.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dagon posted something on their Facebook page today about it.

quote:

Dagon here. Apologies to all Canadian supporters. This time the Canadian officer was extremely strict and was definitely loving his job. I thank all Canadian diehards who gave us their immense support in front of the stage and at our merchandise booth; again thank you and hails. It may be awhile to get this sorted out but sooner or later I will have advice from a legal advisor.

As for this other news floating around, a statement was written on my behalf tonight. Read it thoroughly when it comes out and remember to not be emotional about anything related... this is obscure and strong music with passion. No weak hearted nothing and remember... I have half latin roots so use common sense.

Hail the universe.
Dagon

Grey Dynamite
Sep 28, 2010
Hey, I'm the guy who wrote the blog about Inquisition. I'd like to point out my main critique of the band isn't based on "Crush the Jewish Prophet", that was just my first hint that they might not be kosher. As to why I'm more concerned about anti-Semitic rather than anti-Christian imagery- in Europe and America at least, we don't live in a society where violence against Christians is commonplace, committed by satanists or anyone else. (And I doubt the violence and persecution of Christians that does occur is much motivated by metal.) Hate crimes against Jewish people, or people of colour, or LGBT people, or the disabled, or whoever, are still all too common, within metal as well- an Asian man was recently attacked at a Taake concert in the UK, to give one example. Fascist ideologues within metal probably aren't the only inspiration for this violence, but I personally don't want to support bands involved with fascist movements and ideology.

As to Dagon's proposed statement, if he's seriously going to suggest that he can't be a white supremacist because he has Latin roots I really have to question his intellect. Someone in the comments offered a related (and also bullshit) argument that Antichrist Kramer can't be a white supremacist- he signed a Mexican band to his label full of white supremacists! The former white supremacist I quoted in the blog, Daniel Gallant, has said this on the subject: “Right wing extremists who are neo-Nazi do often have non-white alliances with others who share anti-Semitic beliefs and views. This was also true for the German WWII regime, who had non-Aryan alliances. There is a public misconception about what right wing extremist and or terrorists are, and what they are not.” He might be prepared to overlook the fact the band is non-white if they agree with his views, similar to how I imagine the Third Reich didn't let their obsession with Aryan purity stop them signing an alliance with imperial Japan. Sadly, white supremacist and anti-Semitic views aren't unheard of among black metal bands in South America, where Dagon spent many of his formative years- his heritage alone does not necessarily exonerate him.

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.
ruh-roh.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/peterott/inquisition.jpg

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

He's, uh, giving that Nazi flag a big thumbs down! That's it!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Grey Dynamite posted:

an Asian man was recently attacked at a Taake concert in the UK, to give one example.

I'd love to know when this was. Please show you've actually done some research, because Taake have not played in the UK in quite some time.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Who loving cares? If you believe a band is NS/WP/whatever and that bunches your undies, don't listen to them. Just stop being a loving hypocrite about it and listen to bands that may write lyrics glorifying the death of christians, rape of women, murder, infanticide, whatever-the-gently caress.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Grey Dynamite posted:

Hey, I'm the guy who wrote the blog about Inquisition. I'd like to point out my main critique of the band isn't based on "Crush the Jewish Prophet", that was just my first hint that they might not be kosher. As to why I'm more concerned about anti-Semitic rather than anti-Christian imagery- in Europe and America at least, we don't live in a society where violence against Christians is commonplace, committed by satanists or anyone else. (And I doubt the violence and persecution of Christians that does occur is much motivated by metal.) Hate crimes against Jewish people, or people of colour, or LGBT people, or the disabled, or whoever, are still all too common, within metal as well- an Asian man was recently attacked at a Taake concert in the UK, to give one example. Fascist ideologues within metal probably aren't the only inspiration for this violence, but I personally don't want to support bands involved with fascist movements and ideology.

That is super interehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ-2YW8wLc

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Grey Dynamite posted:

As to Dagon's proposed statement, if he's seriously going to suggest that he can't be a white supremacist because he has Latin roots I really have to question his intellect. Someone in the comments offered a related (and also bullshit) argument that Antichrist Kramer can't be a white supremacist- he signed a Mexican band to his label full of white supremacists! The former white supremacist I quoted in the blog, Daniel Gallant, has said this on the subject: “Right wing extremists who are neo-Nazi do often have non-white alliances with others who share anti-Semitic beliefs and views. This was also true for the German WWII regime, who had non-Aryan alliances. There is a public misconception about what right wing extremist and or terrorists are, and what they are not.” He might be prepared to overlook the fact the band is non-white if they agree with his views, similar to how I imagine the Third Reich didn't let their obsession with Aryan purity stop them signing an alliance with imperial Japan. Sadly, white supremacist and anti-Semitic views aren't unheard of among black metal bands in South America, where Dagon spent many of his formative years- his heritage alone does not necessarily exonerate him.

It's weird that you would bring up Antichrist Kramer's views when they got rid of him for their most recent album(and apparently he was quite angry about it, since he thought he was still doing the artwork and they'd already found someone else and not told him).

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Grey Dynamite posted:

Cool blog dude.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Grey Dynamite posted:

that was just my first hint that they might not be kosher.

:golfclap:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Christians to the lions" (Behemoth) - totally cool.
"To hell with Mohammed and the Mohammedans" (Taake) - totally cool.

Apparently it's fine to figuratively (and literally sometimes) call for the death of any group of people, as long as they're not Jews.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's why Countess' album art for Burning Scripture was all inclusive.

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.
I kind of hope they go along with being 'nazis'.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Dagon did some rambling interview here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/inquisition-frontman-dagon-im-not-a-nazi/

It doesn't make much sense but cliff notes:
- Reaction to that guy's swastika tattoo was "woah (wtf)" not "wow, awesome".
- Inquisition aren't Nazis
- Kramer isn't a white supremacist, he's mates with black/Mexican people and Dagon is half Columbian.
- Crush the Jewish Prophet sounded cool so that's why it's a song title
- 88MM isn't a nazi project, it's a reference to some German artillery from WW2 and he didn't want to change it even though he was aware of the connotation because artistic integrity.

Answers seem weak to me, but I feel pretty apathetic about the whole thing, sorry.

e: No Colours apparently refers to the fact that all the label's early albums had black and white colours, not race exclusion. Also this song is totally just about German artillery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVTwxpuYEo

nomapple fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 1, 2014

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.

nomapple posted:

Answers seem weak to me, but I feel pretty apathetic about the whole thing, sorry.

I get more worked up over Deafheaven bullshit but that's just me.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

QPZIL posted:

"Christians to the lions" (Behemoth) - totally cool.
"To hell with Mohammed and the Mohammedans" (Taake) - totally cool.

Apparently it's fine to figuratively (and literally sometimes) call for the death of any group of people, as long as they're not Jews.

Most people can distinguish between fantasy and reality and don't believe that Hoest is murdering Muslims or that Nergal is actually gonna throw Christians into lions' dens.

The difference is that the Holocaust is relatively recent, historically speaking. There isn't a great history of atrocities committed against Christians like there is against Jews, and given the power the Church has had throughout its history, anti-Christian lyrics can easily be interpreted as a gesture of defiance against authority. There are a lot of reasons to dislike or oppose religion in general, or as a concept, and while that does include Judaism, singling out Jews in particular is more of a problem than saying "I hate Christianity" or "gently caress religion" because of the history of violence attached to antisemitic ideologies.

Black metal isn't the only metal subgenre with lyrics about Bad Things. Karl Sanders doesn't worship the ancient Egyptian gods, he just writes about it because he thinks it's really loving cool subject matter. Sometimes, the lyrics are just supposed to be aggressive or provocative or tell a story and aren't really meant to reflect an ideology.

I don't think it makes me a hypocrite if I listen to something that's anti-Christian or anti-religion in general but I have a problem with antisemitism.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Comparing neo-Nazi and NS ideals to an anti-Christian band is also pretty flimsy because hating entire races of people (Jews, Blacks, etc) is a lot different than religions

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
There's nothing outright antisemitic with a majority of Inquisitions output, and the only evidence given is circumstantial and hearsay.

And in all honesty I don't really care unless it really starts to infest their work or they become unwaveringly extreme.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't think it makes me a hypocrite if I listen to something that's anti-Christian or anti-religion in general but I have a problem with antisemitism.

You realize this rules out any band that has a song that says something mean about Jesus, right?

I just really don't get having to do some weird calculus to determine whether it's ok to like a band based on their (possibly?) stupid opinions. Your jewish friends aren't going to get some supernatural communique that you're Grand Wizard of the Klan or something. I can certainly see not wanting to give such bands money, but that's a different animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IRQ posted:

You realize this rules out any band that has a song that says something mean about Jesus, right?

I just really don't get having to do some weird calculus to determine whether it's ok to like a band based on their (possibly?) stupid opinions. Your jewish friends aren't going to get some supernatural communique that you're Grand Wizard of the Klan or something. I can certainly see not wanting to give such bands money, but that's a different animal.

People who say "gently caress Jesus" aren't saying "gently caress Jesus 'cause he's a Jew", they're saying "gently caress Jesus" because it pisses off Christians (or they think it does).

There's a difference between saying things about a religious figure who may or may not have actually existed, in the context of verbally trashing that religion, and calling for the extermination of an entire race. A huge difference.

And it's one thing if they keep their opinions to themselves and it doesn't come out in their music, but even then, some people have a problem enjoying the work of an artist who they know to be a piece of poo poo. I can listen to music by somebody who is an rear end in a top hat, but I draw the line at Nazi. It's one thing to be a former Nazi, or commit a crime and later reform, but somebody who is actively a fascist shithead deserves no respect or support.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2014