Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Swartz posted:

Yep, got my first bone error log after rescuing Fox. Don't know what they added that would cause that error.

Yeah, same here. Reloaded my save and all of the npc's guns changed. Kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Random question, this has been driving me nuts. You get a quest from Wolf to find a key to a stash. I found the key but completely forgot where he said the stash was. Can someone help me or even screenshot what he said?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Random question, this has been driving me nuts. You get a quest from Wolf to find a key to a stash. I found the key but completely forgot where he said the stash was. Can someone help me or even screenshot what he said?

If you check your pda it tells you that it is in his trunk somewhere. Not sure if it allows you to put a marker on the map.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well, my laptop is literally dead. So looks like I'm forced to build my own PC that hopefully won't be a piece of crap like this laptop :v:

At the bare minimum it's going to take at least three months to scrape together enough cash to build one. So until then I'm going to have to bow out gracefully as I'm back to using library computers again.

If anyone wants to pick up the baton with regards to the thread feel free to do so. Just my luck that it would blow the gently caress up in the exact week LA comes out. Such is life in the Zone, I guess :smith:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ddraig posted:

Such is life in the Zone.

He was a good stalker. *pours some GSC brand vodka on the ground*

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

floor is lava posted:

If you check your pda it tells you that it is in his trunk somewhere. Not sure if it allows you to put a marker on the map.

Where is the trunk though? I'm not seeing any kind of a note in my pda.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The tip I mentioned in my previous post? The same guy who provided it also says you can safely walk by the military checkpoints in Cordon as long as you stay on the road and don't be a dick. A few dozen rounds of AK-74 to the face suggests he might be wrong.

I'm really liking the ironsight accuracy, can't remember if it was this good in SoC but I headshot a bandit form across the factory yard with a sawn-off dart round and I highly doubt I could have done that in CoP.

M.Ciaster posted:

You know the anomaly filled tunnel that's supposed to be an alternate route if you can't/don't want to shoot your way through the military? In regular SoC it's got some weird complicated electrical anomaly and you have to time it right to get through? There's a door in it, go through it and explore. Watch out for the zombies, though (they're a massive pain in the rear end in LA, unless you use grenades)

Those zombies, and the tunnel in general, are horrible. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like headshots work on LA zombies, though there were plenty of gravs for them to just stumble into. Now I have to go back through and kill more, and even if I was up to taking on the checkpoint I can't seem to take the road. Was heading back from Fox, holding W and suddenly I'm walking backwards and left and I pretty much just alt-F4ed because STALKER freaks me out that much sometimes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Vorenus posted:

I'm really liking the ironsight accuracy, can't remember if it was this good in SoC but I headshot a bandit from across the factory yard with a sawn-off dart round and I highly doubt I could have done that in CoP.

One of the main reasons I fell in love with the original SoC was sniping bandits during early game using a sawed-off shotgun. It was ridiculous, can't remember if it got patched later on though.

Vorenus posted:

Those zombies, and the tunnel in general, are horrible. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like headshots work on LA zombies, though there were plenty of gravs for them to just stumble into. Now I have to go back through and kill more, and even if I was up to taking on the checkpoint I can't seem to take the road. Was heading back from Fox, holding W and suddenly I'm walking backwards and left and I pretty much just alt-F4ed because STALKER freaks me out that much sometimes.

The anomalies in the tunnel won't kill them permanently if you lure them in, either. They'll go down for a bit and then get back up if you get close.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Rime posted:

The anomalies in the tunnel won't kill them permanently if you lure them in, either. They'll go down for a bit and then get back up if you get close.

Welp, that explains the PDA message. Thanks for the info, and at least the tunnel ones can't get to me on the walkway.

I tried again to confirm: Just north of the truck that is a bit north of the northern (heh) Cordon checkpoint, if I'm at the bottom of the dip in the road and try to walk south toward the truck, I keep getting pulled backwards as if it's an incredibly steep incline. Of course the (visually) much more steep hillside right next to the road is no issue at all.

Life in the Zone indeed.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Vorenus posted:

The tip I mentioned in my previous post? The same guy who provided it also says you can safely walk by the military checkpoints in Cordon as long as you stay on the road and don't be a dick. A few dozen rounds of AK-74 to the face suggests he might be wrong.

In that guys defense, there is a second checkpoint you are supposed to just stroll through unarmed. Its the checkpoint where Loners and Bandits fought right before the Garbage entrance in the original SoC.

Edit: Ha, the computer in the Bar can play the bad C-Consciousness ending of SoC.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 28, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
How is LA's gameplay? Is it mostly vanilla SoC, or are there some features from CoP and famous mods in it to make things more interesting?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aight I got SoC reinstalled so what's the step by step to get LA running?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Lost Alpha is standalone. Download/torrent setup, run setup, play game. Don't put it in Program Files.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

closeted republican posted:

How is LA's gameplay? Is it mostly vanilla SoC, or are there some features from CoP and famous mods in it to make things more interesting?

It is as different from SoC as CoP and CS were, even the starting quests and locations are very changed.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Christ... ran in to a new bug that makes the game unplayable for me. Whenever I leave and come back to the trader the game's audio becomes stuck in reverb mode echoing every sound very very loudly.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
STALKER Lost Alpha: More tunnels than Vietnam.

A lot of CTDs, one bone error after saving Fox (had turned legs off), one when quickloading, and one upon death. Nothing gamebreaking but just random and buggy enough (as others have said) to be a STALKER game.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 29, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What visual options are good to turn off to boost FPS in Lost Alpha? If I remember, there were a few options you could safely turn down/off that netted you big gains, and did little to change how the game looked. I already have AA turned off.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Avocados posted:

What visual options are good to turn off to boost FPS in Lost Alpha? If I remember, there were a few options you could safely turn down/off that netted you big gains, and did little to change how the game looked. I already have AA turned off.

Turning grass density to about half made it run wayyy faster for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

floor is lava posted:

Turning grass density to about half made it run wayyy faster for me.

Its my favorite new feature that I was hoping to keep maxed out. I was seeing what else I could turn down to balance it out. :saddowns:

e:Its at 70 right now though.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*Edit: Nevermind.

Edit #2:

I erased what I posted before because I thought I'd get a small group in trouble, but after seeing where it was originally posted it won't.

The source code to Lost Alpha has been leaked. It appears to be about as old as the leaked build since there is no DX10 in the files.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 29, 2014

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Don't forget to make the exe compatible with XP and run as Admin otherwise your settings and game won't save!

Bone crash? Open the console and type in g_actor_body off

Also a good site for bugs, reporting, etc: http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1648

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I crashed as I walked out of Sid's bunker :saddowns:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Holy gently caress this game is amazing. I mean even as buggy as it is, the amount of new content is astounding. Absolutely loving the fact that "shoot your way through this problem" isn't the solution for most of the quests. High point so far (before X18): drunkenly wandering through monolith territory saying hi to all the cultists

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Somebody please post or PM where Strelok's stash is. I figured out the book cover easily enough, but I have been through the entire underground for the past hour and the only room/area that makes any sense whatsoever has no stash.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Somebody please post or PM where Strelok's stash is. I figured out the book cover easily enough, but I have been through the entire underground for the past hour and the only room/area that makes any sense whatsoever has no stash.

PM sending after this post.

Edit: Where the hell is X18's entrance, I'm going in circles.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 29, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Even though I can't play, it does my heart good to see all the confusion. It's like ShoC's original release, all over again. :allears:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

MadBimber posted:

Even though I can't play, it does my heart good to see all the confusion. It's like ShoC's original release, all over again. :allears:

Its been so long since I have felt utterly retarded playing a game. Every new area gives me something hilariously simple for me to screw up :allears:

Edit: Also my car ran out of gas entering Darkscape again to get the flash drive tool I left in the cave :(. Did all that wandering about in Dark Valley and entered X18 before realizing I forgot to get it out of my stash in the cave. Agh.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 29, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Its been so long since I have felt utterly retarded playing a game. Every new area gives me something hilariously simple for me to screw up :allears:

Edit: Also my car ran out of gas entering Darkscape again to get the flash drive tool I left in the cave :(. Did all that wandering about in Dark Valley and entered X18 before realizing I forgot to get it out of my stash in the cave. Agh.

So I'm guessing vehicles only work in the new maps? I mean, there's clearly no way to drive one through the garbage, even with the additions at either end.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Rime posted:

So I'm guessing vehicles only work in the new maps? I mean, there's clearly no way to drive one through the garbage, even with the additions at either end.

I imagine driving through Dark Valley would work(that's where you get the car after all) but no probably not Garbage.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Getting cars to function across levels is a huge, huge pain in the rear end in the Xray engine. Certain elements can completely corrupt the db so you can gently caress up your save very easily. One notable example is when I was testing out Darkscape/Dark Hollow and going to the Cordon would make it so it was constantly in a state of pre-emission and nobody would talk to me or acknowledge me because technically I didn't actually exist. It was quite a surreal experience.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I wouldn't talk with a guy who is obviously pre-emission, either

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Better to talk to them afterwards. They're usually in a much better mood, I agree.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I dont understand the need to mod cars back into stalker when the maps are so small that they dont really work and gently caress over the sense of scale and distance when used.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For the Duty mission I had 'Rolling Thunder', an APC that was painted with duty colours that would play heavy metal music as you used it to storm the Freedom base. It had a functioning turret and a minigun on the front seat you could use to clean up the base. You only got access to it if you played by the rules and turned Skull in to Voronin.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long does this take to install the "main game files"?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Acquire Currency! posted:

How long does this take to install the "main game files"?

Install sat for about 10 minutes at that screen for me.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
The question on my mind playing this will be if Lost Alpha makes a suitable "instead of" for SoC.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Time to read Zinn posted:

The question on my mind playing this will be if Lost Alpha makes a suitable "instead of" for SoC.

It feels like it would be, but they are very different games. The general objective is the same: Go to Wolf, get his guy with the flash drive, go north to Garbage, help Bes, help Seriy, go to Agroprom, etc... but the journey is very different. For example, Bes's quest is not even remotely the same. Everything is a ton more fleshed out. Also for example, the documents you get at the military base have a purpose other than "quest item for Barkeep". It feels like a lot of unexplained areas and quests have purpose now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It feels like it would be, but they are very different games. The general objective is the same: Go to Wolf, get his guy with the flash drive, go north to Garbage, help Bes, help Seriy, go to Agroprom, etc... but the journey is very different. For example, Bes's quest is not even remotely the same. Everything is a ton more fleshed out. Also for example, the documents you get at the military base have a purpose other than "quest item for Barkeep". It feels like a lot of unexplained areas and quests have purpose now.

The way Garbage was redone surprised me, it looks far better. The old Garbage didn't strike me as wrong or anything, but the new versions of these areas are pretty much perfect so far. And you're right, they all have some value and purpose now.

As an aside, what didn't make it to the release besides extra polish and bugfixing? Or was that all that was left to do? As far as I remember, LA was doing the whole "done when it's done thing" until the leak came out, then the devs quickly tied it together and released it as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Avocados posted:

As an aside, what didn't make it to the release besides extra polish and bugfixing? Or was that all that was left to do? As far as I remember, LA was doing the whole "done when it's done thing" until the leak came out, then the devs quickly tied it together and released it as is.

There's a lot of really, really large and empty areas of map with nothing interactive or loot related to be found in them, surface Agropom for example, which I suspect would have been fleshed out further.

On that note, what's the deal with blowouts? Do they actually exist in the way they were supposed to during alpha (Random and kill you if you're outside during them), or are they still scripted and essentially non-existent?