Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So I was going through Arkham City again, to finish all the sidequests that the game locked me out of after I beat it, and uh, there's a trophy for going to Calendar mans cell 12 specific days throughout the year? Excuse me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

So I was going through Arkham City again, to finish all the sidequests that the game locked me out of after I beat it, and uh, there's a trophy for going to Calendar mans cell 12 specific days throughout the year? Excuse me?

If I remember it correctly, you can just change the date on your console/pc to the days that are marked on the calendar next to his cell and get it that way.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

nekoxid posted:

If I remember it correctly, you can just change the date on your console/pc to the days that are marked on the calendar next to his cell and get it that way.

that's such a pain in the rear end though. Also, do you need to tic the Killer Croc easter egg to get 100%?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Austrian mook posted:

Do you need to tic the Killer Croc easter egg to get 100%?

No. You'll get the same percentage from completing a riddle associated with him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Austrian mook posted:

that's such a pain in the rear end though.

Boy, is it ever. Prepare yourself for around an hour or so of dicking around with system settings and suffering through the game loading from scratch every time, should you do that. I'm sure I've spent afternoons in worse ways, but I'll be hosed if I can remember how right now.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Boy, is it ever. Prepare yourself for around an hour or so of dicking around with system settings and suffering through the game loading from scratch every time, should you do that. I'm sure I've spent afternoons in worse ways, but I'll be hosed if I can remember how right now.

I did this achievement about 2 weeks ago. I would walk outside the courthouse, quit to menu, alt tab and change system clock, alt tab back into game and load my save, visit calandar man to hear the story, and repeat.

Took maybe 30 mins for all of them? I was surprised how quick I was able to do it as I had been holding off completing that achievement for some time.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
At that point, why don't you just SAM it? You're cheating anyways.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a PS3.

:smithicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please don't do achievements if they are unfun. It is bad for everyone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Please don't do achievements if they are unfun. It is bad for everyone.

But I have to get plat

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I have a PS3.

:smithicide:

Yeah, but anyone who's alt-tabbing out like Keeku is clearly on PC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Anarky tags in CCH are the nadir of collectibles in the series. It's like they looked at the Riddler stuff was fun in Arkham Asylum and deliberately ignored all of the lessons learnt.

No tracking? Check. No benefits til you've got the lot? Check. Only visible in Detective Mode? Check. No real logic to their placement? Check.

Even the main game got most of those right (although making them only visible in Detective Mode was kinda poo poo).

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't know why I need to explain this: I was doing it to actually listen to what Calandar Man had to say too.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Anarky tags in CCH are the nadir of collectibles in the series. It's like they looked at the Riddler stuff was fun in Arkham Asylum and deliberately ignored all of the lessons learnt.

No tracking? Check. No benefits til you've got the lot? Check. Only visible in Detective Mode? Check. No real logic to their placement? Check.

Even the main game got most of those right (although making them only visible in Detective Mode was kinda poo poo).

I couldn't agree with you more, but incase you need it I posted this map a couple pages back: http://imgur.com/ZUrvr6U

Keeku fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 28, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, I don't really care about cheevo chasing, I did that so I could listen to Calendar Man's macabre stories about various holidays :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At least loving mark the map where the ones are that I've already tagged! :argh:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Beat Cold, Cold Heart over the weekend and thought it was pretty good. I liked how Arkham Origins takes place on Christmas Eve and now Cold, Cold Heart takes place 5 days later on New Year's Eve. Batcave trashed and mansion burned in one week, that's a pretty lovely week.

Not quite sure I understand how glowing hot metal gauntlets are as effective at incapacitating people as taser gloves but at least it's different. v:shobon:v

What does collecting all of the Anarky tags get you?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

AngryBooch posted:

What does collecting all of the Anarky tags get you?

Quickfire Thermal Batarang and the charge time for heating batarangs is now instantaneous.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Keeku posted:

I don't know why I need to explain this: I was doing it to actually listen to what Calandar Man had to say too.

I couldn't agree with you more, but incase you need it I posted this map a couple pages back: http://imgur.com/ZUrvr6U

Thanks for the guide!

Not being able to use the XE suit in Challenge Mode is kind of weak. Not to mention not having the suits from Arkham City available in Challenge Mode despite being in multiplayer?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Quickfire Thermal Batarang and the charge time for heating batarangs is now instantaneous.
And probably the ability to have nothing interesting to do with them as the game's already over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, that's stopping the riots. Tags get you "Enhanced Thermal Gloves"...though I have no idea what that means.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only lesson they truly learned from HQR was not to boot you back to the main menu and let you actually go after the collectibles. Too bad all the Anarky tags are poo poo tier, like AC1 flags. At least label all the important Gotham landmarks so I can at least know where to look for them.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Mr. Freeze has a normal human 90 bpm heart rate in CCH. They forgot or didn't notice that in Arkham City, he has less than 10 bpm.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dr Christmas posted:

Mr. Freeze has a normal human 90 bpm heart rate in CCH. They forgot or didn't notice that in Arkham City, he has less than 10 bpm.

Maybe his heart is getting progressively slower as he freezes solid over time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Keep in mind that City is a number of years after his accident whereas Origins is a month or two afterwards at best.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Keep in mind that City is a number of years after his accident whereas Origins is a month or two afterwards at best.

Origins is immediately afterwards, to the point that they haven't even cleaned up the crime scene where Fries became Freeze yet.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Was it Huntington's disease in the show? I don't remember them ever mentioning what disease she had in the show, but I think they made up one for the movie Batman and Robin?

I actually had a patient with Huntington's disease once.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, they made up something for Batman and Robin because Alfred had it too. McGuffin's Syndrome, or something close to it.

Sober posted:

The only lesson they truly learned from HQR was not to boot you back to the main menu and let you actually go after the collectibles. Too bad all the Anarky tags are poo poo tier, like AC1 flags. At least label all the important Gotham landmarks so I can at least know where to look for them.

Yeah, overall CCH improved on a bunch of HQR stuff, it's just that the collectibles annoyed me. The Riddler stuff in Asylum is probably the best set of collectible stuff I've seen in a game; I liked City's switch to focusing more on acrobatic / gadget feats, but the Riddles were a great character-based way of giving backstory.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, they made up something for Batman and Robin because Alfred had it too. McGuffin's Syndrome, or something close to it.

MacGregor's Syndrome. Arrow recently had an episode where, hilariously, the Clock King was referenced as dying from it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BAV made a video of most/all the Easter Eggs in CCH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7deucDlmwE

I never realized it before, but considering how Nigma becomes a straight villain in the remaining games in the series, this is the closest we have in the games to the reformed Detective Riddler.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Reformed rear end in a top hat detective Riddler, struggling to handle his own mental illnesses and the fact that everybody in the city hates him even when he's trying to help, is my favorite Riddler. But the hyper-aggressive and uncommonly violent version of Riddler they've presented in the Arkham universe would never be able to make that transition anyway. I wish they'd explain how Riddler went from the guy in Origins who ultimately wanted to help Gotham, if in a kind of lovely way, to the guy in Arkham City who is murdering rescue workers just because gently caress you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I had to guess, it probably stems from his inferiority complex. His interview tapes in Arkham Asylum reveal that as a child he was unable to solve puzzles without cheating. In Origins, he is "cheating" by illegally tapping people's devices and such while Batman is able to uncover the truth on his own. Nigma would probably get jealous over that and decide to make a crime Batman couldn't solve, only to end up getting caught and developing an obsession with Batman that begins to pave the way for his career in supervillainy.

Or something to that effect.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How good is Cold, Cold Heart? I played the Initiation campaign last night and was rather disappointed by it, I'm hoping CCH provides a lot more in the way of actual level structure and a good boss fight (Maybe?).

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

In the comics it was always kind of up in the air (and by that I mean it depended on the writer) if Eddie actually cheated at the puzzles or if he was abused so badly by his father afterwards that he convinced himself he must have. That said, I can totally buy the Arkham universe version of Riddler being a loving cheater because he does it in the drat game. I lost the shell game four times because it didn't even occur to me to use detective vision because it didn't occur to me that Riddler would ever cheat at his own game. The animated universe version of him would have been outraged. That said, I don't know that I'd call what he was doing in Origin's "cheating". Bats isn't a guy who's above a little wiretapping when it suits him.

I dunno. The timespan between Origins and City is pretty vast so I guess over the years he just became more and more of a violent bastard, but going back to play City after having played Origins made them feel like entirely different characters. It's probably just a case of differing writers since Riddler was totally a vicious rear end in a top hat in the Asylum interview tapes. Maybe Warner Bros. Montreal didn't get the memo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

How good is Cold, Cold Heart? I played the Initiation campaign last night and was rather disappointed by it, I'm hoping CCH provides a lot more in the way of actual level structure and a good boss fight (Maybe?).

It does, it's a little mini campaign basically with some new twists thrown at you.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It ain't bad. Wayne Manor is pretty fun to kick around in, the other main setting is appropriately creepy, and you get to throw sharp burning metal at the poor.

I bought the season pass for supercheap, so I didn't pay much at all for it, but it's solid DLC. The combat seemed more like how it plays in the challenge rooms than the main game (PC, KB/M setup), so that was also a big plus.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 29, 2014

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
In my opinion it sucks that Batman Arkham Knight will only be for the PS4, XBox One and PC. Why leave the people that have the Xbox 360 and PS3 out in the cold? Just make a disk for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CaptainMidnight posted:

In my opinion it sucks that Batman Arkham Knight will only be for the PS4, XBox One and PC. Why leave the people that have the Xbox 360 and PS3 out in the cold? Just make a disk for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

In order to make the game scalable across that much hardware, they have to basically bring the next-gen versions down. While the graphical update is huge, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a ton of streaming in the next areas of the city that requires more RAM and whatnot. It's been a long enough time that I'm ready for them to stop having to hold games back. At some point you gotta upgrade, PC gamers have been living like this for years.

Besides, it'll make Sony WAY more money in the long run if Rocksteady makes an incentive out of buying more PS4s. That's the win/win right there, Sony sells more consoles because people really want to play the next Batman game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

CaptainMidnight posted:

There isn't a button on Rocksteady's Game Design UI that says 'print XBOX 360' disk they're refusing to push.

Xbox 360 and PS3 have different architectures from PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It is non-trivial to port your codebase to another platform.

On top of what Crappy Jack is talking about where the game itself is not built for the hardware limitations of the older platforms.

In my opinion it sucks that they are not printing disks for the Atari, NES, SNES, and Commodore 64. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CaptainMidnight posted:

You know, just make a disc. That's how it works.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

BreakAtmo posted:

MacGregor's Syndrome. Arrow recently had an episode where, hilariously, the Clock King was referenced as dying from it.

Wasn't it Clock King's wife that was dying from it, which gave him a sort of Mr. Freeze vibe?

CaptainMidnight posted:

I love reading about the Arkham games in this thread, though I haven't played any of them yet because I'm still waiting for them to finally release PS2 versions.

• Locked thread