Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ICND2 scheduled for Wednesday :supaburn:

Time to brush up on poo poo before then. Every STP prediction and EtherChannel configuration problem I can think of.

810, pass mark 825 :dawkins101:

Not to break NDA, but can anyone recommend good labs/materials for predicting the operation of implementing a default information-originate command? (honestly I thought route redistribution was more of a CCNP thing so I didn't go into that much detail when studying OSPF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

MrBigglesworth posted:

So I'm getting up the courage to take the SEC+ now that the class will be done on Monday, I have a voucher, but my eyes jumped out of my head to see the normal cost at $293! WTF.

You also have to pay a $50 a year renewal fee if your company doesn't provide a voucher for it. (Mine does...)

It's a true racket.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Not to break NDA, but can anyone recommend good labs/materials for predicting the operation of implementing a default information-originate command? (honestly I thought route redistribution was more of a CCNP thing so I didn't go into that much detail when studying OSPF)

That command tells the other routers on that OSPF area what route to take out of the network if no matched found on local subnet. Ie. If it ain't on my network then move the duck on outta here.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Nah, it's basically a default static route out. Chapter 17, page 486 of the official cert guide.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm just lab this later, but what happens if a router gets a default route that points to itself? Does it just keep bouncing until TTL runs out?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm just lab this later, but what happens if a router gets a default route that points to itself? Does it just keep bouncing until TTL runs out?

You mean like a physical port with a static route to the same physical port on the router?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Exact situation was- R1 is connected to R2 via S0/0/0, and has a quad-zero route pointing out S0/0/0. This route is sent out S0/0/0 to R2.

fake edit: Just labbed this with a simulator, and R2 automatically drops a packet that contains it's own IP address as a source address. I probably should have known this, but I think the fact that the default route was pointing out an interface, rather than R2's address threw me off. So that's something learned, then.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 24, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e: nm, misread the scenario.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 24, 2014

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Re CCNA , how comparable are Odom's practice tests (that accompany the official Cisco Press books) to the real test? Harder? Easier? Etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Exact situation was- R1 is connected to R2 via S0/0/0, and has a quad-zero route pointing out S0/0/0. This route is sent out S0/0/0 to R2.

fake edit: Just labbed this with a simulator, and R2 automatically drops a packet that contains it's own IP address as a source address. I probably should have known this, but I think the fact that the default route was pointing out an interface, rather than R2's address threw me off. So that's something learned, then.

OK, to conclude this ordeal, if a host on a network connected to R2 (rather than R2 itself) sends a packet with an unknown destination address to R2, the result actually is R2 sending the packet to R1's default route, which sends it back to R2, which sends it to R1's default route, etc until TTL expires- at least, this is what labbing it in Packet Tracer tells me. I did not know that could actually happen, I thought normal OSPF operation generally eliminated routing loops.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Fag Boy Jim posted:

OK, to conclude this ordeal, if a host on a network connected to R2 (rather than R2 itself) sends a packet with an unknown destination address to R2, the result actually is R2 sending the packet to R1's default route, which sends it back to R2, which sends it to R1's default route, etc until TTL expires- at least, this is what labbing it in Packet Tracer tells me. I did not know that could actually happen, I thought normal OSPF operation generally eliminated routing loops.

It does. However, for lab purposes (in order to mimic real life set up) OSPF doesn't route outside of your network, your ISP doesn't want OSPF traffic. So you can have OSPF handle all your routing needs within your network but you still need a default static route out but if it's configured wrong there can be issues.

Also, is it the entire packet that's getting forwarded to R1 or some other protocol? And when you say unknown address, what do you mean?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By "unknown destination address", I mean that it isn't in R2's routing table (other than the quad-zero default address learned from R1). In Packet Tracer, I was just generating traffic with ICMP pings sent from a host connected to R2 with a random unicast destination IPv4 address that isn't in the routing table.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 25, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Passed Sec+!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

That's awesome. How many sims did you have?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ZergFluid posted:

Re CCNA , how comparable are Odom's practice tests (that accompany the official Cisco Press books) to the real test? Harder? Easier? Etc.

Yes.

In my experience both the actual test questions and the practice test questions had varying degrees of difficulty, so this is a hard question to answer. I'd say Odom's practice tests are generally easier because the questions aren't as involved or interactive as a question you would see in the actual testing environment.

Pearson would do well to add some interactivity to their practice test engine, but I won't hold my breath.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Front loaded with 5 of the fuckers. 74 questions total.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

When I took mine I had 2. Apparently I was lucky?

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Is there anything I really should worry about emphasising while prepping for the A+ Exam? Hardware related questions seem to come quite easily to me, and i'm not doubting software will be any different. I'm more concerned about things like "How wide is the standard floppy disk" , "name several different voltages your power supply uses" type deals.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
A+ was a cake walk for me....in 2001 when I got it. There were no questions about the physical size of stuff then. No idea now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
assuming I pass the CCNA on Tuesday, I will be in the position for applying for networking jobs with very little knowledge of enterprise wireless equipment, or MPLS (which shows up in pretty much every telecom network position I see). I did purchase the CCNA Wireless book (not really looking for the cert, just looking to skim through it so I don't totally embarrass myself if someone asks me to configure a wireless router), but can anyone recommend reading on MPLS? (I assume that's what Cisco CCNA SP covers, but that one has no cert guide associated with it).

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

Fag Boy Jim posted:

assuming I pass the CCNA on Tuesday, I will be in the position for applying for networking jobs with very little knowledge of enterprise wireless equipment, or MPLS (which shows up in pretty much every telecom network position I see). I did purchase the CCNA Wireless book (not really looking for the cert, just looking to skim through it so I don't totally embarrass myself if someone asks me to configure a wireless router), but can anyone recommend reading on MPLS? (I assume that's what Cisco CCNA SP covers, but that one has no cert guide associated with it).

I'd also really like any suggestions on learning more about MPLS or studying for CCNA SP

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Interpolator posted:

I'd also really like any suggestions on learning more about MPLS or studying for CCNA SP

Wikipedia and Packetlife aren't bad places to start. Also consider doing some of the basic labs on GNS3vault. Once you've gotten some of the basics down, this book will build upon your knowledge further.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

TrialbyStone posted:

Is there anything I really should worry about emphasising while prepping for the A+ Exam? Hardware related questions seem to come quite easily to me, and i'm not doubting software will be any different. I'm more concerned about things like "How wide is the standard floppy disk" , "name several different voltages your power supply uses" type deals.

If you're worried about remembering numbers, there might be some questions about pin counts, which port maps to which network protocol, and speeds of different types of RAM. They came up more frequently in the practice exams than they did in the real one for me, but there were still a few.

I've now actually booked my 70-410. :ohdear:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To anyone who has taken the vcp course through Stanley Community College, how much did you use the required book? It's like $45, I've never heard mention of it and I think I'd rather just spend the money on the Scott Lowe book.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

BaseballPCHiker posted:

To anyone who has taken the vcp course through Stanley Community College, how much did you use the required book? It's like $45, I've never heard mention of it and I think I'd rather just spend the money on the Scott Lowe book.

Do not buy it. It's basically throwing $45 away. Buy the Scott Lowe book instead.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I never bought it. The class is just ~20 labs that don't even make mention of the book so just buy whichever one you want for self-study.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ha, that was just what I came to the thread to ask!

To follow up, the course is 5.1, but the latest version of the book by Scott Lowe is 5.5. I get the impression that the course will let me sit the 5.1 or 5.5 cert. People seem to think the 5.1 cert is the easier test?

Should I get the 5.5 book anyway?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Venusy posted:

If you're worried about remembering numbers, there might be some questions about pin counts, which port maps to which network protocol, and speeds of different types of RAM. They came up more frequently in the practice exams than they did in the real one for me, but there were still a few.

I've now actually booked my 70-410. :ohdear:

Hey hit me up at miguelfbduarte at gmail about the 70-410, I wanna chat it up with you :). Thanks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Retake: 960 :toot:

which... might be artificially high, because seriously like two thirds of the test was repeated from the first attempt. Definitely knew a ton more about various properties of STP/routing protocols than I did the first time, though!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Talk about knocking it out of the park!

Im now in a class for MS 70-640, holy poo poo this is some dry stuff.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm studying for my Windows 2012 MCSA - one of them I've come across is DHCP and how it may be a security risk and assigning addresses statically is more secure.

My question, does anyone actually do this? I know it's a best-practice or literally required to assign static IPs to servers but for other endpoints? That's just a managerial nightmare, I can't imagine any big company or even governmental organizations implementing this... I don't see how it could be that big of a risk either, it's not like someone can't just assign an IP to rouge device either...

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Most companies will have a range of IPs in a specific subnet to reserve for printers/routers/servers, the rest would be DHCP, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard as long as you have your stuff mapped and tracked proper. Setup for that first time would be a bitch sure, but once it's done......

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

I'm studying for my Windows 2012 MCSA - one of them I've come across is DHCP and how it may be a security risk and assigning addresses statically is more secure.

My question, does anyone actually do this? I know it's a best-practice or literally required to assign static IPs to servers but for other endpoints? That's just a managerial nightmare, I can't imagine any big company or even governmental organizations implementing this... I don't see how it could be that big of a risk either, it's not like someone can't just assign an IP to rouge device either...

Maybe there's better ways to do it, but I'm guessing that for your ultra-secure network of servers that would literally destroy the company if they were compromised, use Static IPs. For the branch office in Wyoming, DHCP should be ok. For stuff in between... I'm not sure.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

MrBigglesworth posted:

Most companies will have a range of IPs in a specific subnet to reserve for printers/routers/servers, the rest would be DHCP, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard as long as you have your stuff mapped and tracked proper. Setup for that first time would be a bitch sure, but once it's done......

There are solutions from other vendors that implement security much better such as port shielding or deactivating unused patches. Keep it in mind for the exam, but know that there are better solutions in the wild and in production that will intelligently react to users changing up end devices, implementing their own switches/wireless

open container
Sep 16, 2008
I'm trying to decide between an MCSA in Windows Server vs SQL Server. It seems there's a lot of overlap in the jobs I've looked at, and I've also read that sys admin is a good path to become a DBA, which means it would make more sense to do Windows Server to qualify me to be a sys admin, even though I think ultimately I'd prefer to be a DBA. So I'm really not sure which path to take. At the moment I'm trying to switch careers into IT, I currently have A+ and I'm hunting for a tech support job to get started. I have some experience with SQL and it definitely clicked with me in a way that programming never did. Can anyone advise me?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Due to $reasons$ I'm looking to take the ITIL foundation exam fairly shortly. If anyone's got experience with it, what would you recommend is the best book to get?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Due to $reasons$ I'm looking to take the ITIL foundation exam fairly shortly. If anyone's got experience with it, what would you recommend is the best book to get?

I read through this once and passed http://technologydice.com/ITIL%20Book.pdf

I don't know if it's :files: or not, but it came up when I googled "itil pdf"

The test is ridiculously easy.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thanks for your help dude :)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thank you so much for this! I had similar $reasons$ to start studying for that and have gotten side-tracked in the last month with a new dog and family matters. It's probably the single most dry boring material I've ever had to study for. I needed a cram type guide to study and get it out of the way before I start on my VCP class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
No problem dudes!