Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

0800 CALL GIDS
I can laugh about it because I support the recreational use of most drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I'm watching that game I just posted.

The Cowboys started with the ball and pushed it up a bit. When they got like 3/4 of the way up the field one of the guys on their team just did a low punt, basically giving the ball to the Eels. Why would he do that?

edit: Ah, I guess they have 5 attempts before they have to punt, eh?

edit: and you have to give the ball back to the team that just scored? THAT seems unfair

the fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 29, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the posted:

The Cowboys started with the ball and pushed it up a bit. When they got like 3/4 of the way up the field one of the guys on their team just did a low punt, basically giving the ball to the Eels. Why would he do that?

5 tackles then if you get tackled on the 6th you have to hand the ball over, most teams kick it to get field advantage. Or if they are in attacking range it's a whole different set of options.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:horse:
The most successful league club ever. Also you can just post :horse: to enrage the regulars. We also play good football, and are 4 years rape free which is more than all the rest.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

the posted:

edit: and you have to give the ball back to the team that just scored? THAT seems unfair

Think of tackles as downs in your football. Fourth down is the same as the fifth tackle, except the line to gain is always the goal line. If you get tackled a sixth time, it's a turnover. The tackle count resets when possession changes.

Receiving the ball after scoring is weird. The theory is that with a decent kicker, the team that scored shouldn't be able to mount an attack on that next possession.

As far as picking a team to support goes, stay the gently caress away from the Roosters (Cunts), Souths, Brisbane, Manly and Melbourne.

The Raiders might be an option if you want a team that won a bit in the early 90s, but these days have some sort of crisis every other week. We have to check in on Burn Down Canberra pretty often to make sure he hasn't killed himself. The Warriors and Tigers are good choices if you want to oscillate between :swoon:BEST GAME EVER:swoon: and :smith:.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Souths is a great team to follow. gently caress the haters.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Support Souths if you like Russell Crowe I suppose. Sometimes you can hear him from the bunny costume on the sideline screaming "On my signal, unleash hell!"

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Go the loving Bears

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You would have to be a deadset pants on the head lunatic to support the raiders.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone who voluntarily chooses to support the raiders or tigers after seeing what they've done to us here is insane.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

:horse:Follow the mighty broncos! Once the best team in the league we became a pathetic rabble after losing the best coach in the game and our star player retired. Now we're starting to rebuild but won't do too well this year. But jump aboard the bandwagon horsebox because we stand a decent chance of winning the premiership next year. Get in on the ground floor! :horse:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knights Re-Sign Alex McKinnon + job for life

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm really pleased that Newcastle are taking care of McKinnon.

Good work Newcastle :unsmith:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It bodes well for anyone else that gets injured in the NRL as well, plus if it raises awareness for spinal injuries in general that's good too. I love my club!

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Was really good to see him at the game the other day.

Also, if anyone wasn't completely convinced of a Kangaroos victory, it looks like Kearney will start Tohu Harris at five-eighth and Ben Henry at hooker.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Red_Museum posted:

Also, if anyone wasn't completely convinced of a Kangaroos victory, it looks like Kearney will start Tohu Harris at five-eighth and Ben Henry at hooker.

Isaac John (whoever that is) as 5/8

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Well that's slightly better, at least John has played NRL in that position. Australian odds will blow out to $1.08 now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I can't imagine why Australia's odds would be higher than $1.00, honestly.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

That is one of the weakest Kiwi sides I have ever seen.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Classy move by the Knights and the NRL.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Kiwis team with this many borderline first graders. There was some merit to the idea of playing another forward at 6 and having Johnson play both sides on the field, but the downside is that I have no idea who the next kicker would be. Henry at dummy half is weird, I don't know if he has ever played there. Tuivasa-Sheck should be the fullback.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Classy move by the Knights and the NRL.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Kiwis team with this many borderline first graders. There was some merit to the idea of playing another forward at 6 and having Johnson play both sides on the field, but the downside is that I have no idea who the next kicker would be. Henry at dummy half is weird, I don't know if he has ever played there. Tuivasa-Sheck should be the fullback.

I actually quite like Isaac John's game and think he'll do ok but he's no Olson Filipaina.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

excellent, this, really excellent

isaac john was ace in the world cup, i thought he was a top player

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I guess things like this tend to generally be done after a player actually dies but is there an opportunity for something like a McKinnon award where players who overcome serious adversity (my thinking is inspired by the Bill Masterton trophy in the NHL)

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Just realised as well as missing Isaac Luke for the game we're also missing him from the haka :(

Adam Blair is good at haka-ing I suppose :sigh:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What's SBW up to?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

What's SBW up to?

Probably having sex.

He declared himself unavailable then Kearney said he wouldn't have picked him anyway.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why isn't Hargreaves playing? Don't understand

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Smorgasbord posted:

Probably having sex.

He declared himself unavailable then Kearney said he wouldn't have picked him anyway.

Why is Steve Kearney still coach anyway?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Probably one of the sleeping pill guys.

Also he's dumb as a rock and concedes about 3 penalties per game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Probably one of the sleeping pill guys.

Also he's dumb as a rock and concedes about 3 penalties per game.
But he is a monster

Good start

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah boy :) go Kiwis

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Hahah nice start

edit: Sam Moa is beastmode-ing since he came back on

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 2, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I am firming up in my opinion that a tackle should contain no more than two defenders and two attackers except within the goal and 10 metre line. So many injuries are from players getting bent back by the weight of a third man in, it's ridiculous.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Greg Bird is the most irritating player ever.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Greg Bird is the most irritating player ever.
I don't agree

Jamie Lyon, Michael Ennis, Slater off the top of my head are worse

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

I don't agree

Watch his stupid loving face next time he tries to milk a tackle (it will be his next hit up).

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

I don't agree

Ennis in his prime maybe, the other two are no chance.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lyon isn't too bad nowadays, Ennis is still a shitlord though.

Bird is definitely up there, though.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Much better game than I expected last night. The composure of that Australian team was impressive, there was no hint of panic when they were trailing a team they should have beaten by 30+.

bowmore posted:

The official excuse was that statistically he's rubbish every time he plays against Australia. Sleeping pills and energy drinks are probably in there somewhere too.

ili posted:

Ennis in his prime maybe, the other two are no chance.

Ennis's prime as far as being an annoying little oval office extends from birth to 2040. Bird still beats him when you factor in his off-field activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It was closer than most predicted (I had Aussies by 16) but at no stage of that game was I in any doubt of the end result.

• Locked thread