Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nothing in the Fedora repos yet, they're usually a few days behind.

Guys I'm scared :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I wish there was a little more contrast on the background tabs. When I have more than one tab from the same site open, it feels harder than it should be to read and find the right one.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I love it, Firefox feels a little faster. No bad changes, and the ultra complicated extension I use, pentadactyl (vim shortcuts) works with no issues if I use the nightly build.

It's been improved a lot since I last gave Australis a try 2 months ago.

The only thing I don't like is the curved tabs - they look crap. They didn't need to re-theme the browser at the same time as re-jigging the supporting code, and have probably caused themselves and us more trouble due to this.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The curved tabs look like poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Riso posted:

The curved tabs look like poo poo.

On a stupid low resolution screen it takes away too much of the useful width for displaying page titles when you've got a couple of tabs open. Wouldn't mind the look as much on a better screen.

That, and the fact that they made some things monobloc or immovable through toolbar customisation is what I hate.

Most of that could be fixed with Classic theme restorer.

But I'm absolutely fine with most of the other changes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flipperwaldt posted:

On a stupid low resolution screen it takes away too much of the useful width for displaying page titles when you've got a couple of tabs open. Wouldn't mind the look as much on a better screen.

That, and the fact that they made some things monobloc or immovable through toolbar customisation is what I hate.

I'm a little surprised that it actually changes the density of tabs, because that has generally been considered Sacred. How much does it lose? (I thought that was why the swoop of the tab underhangs the title of the adjacent background tabs.)

Toolbar customization is so hard to support well and make look good. :-/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'm a little surprised that it actually changes the density of tabs, because that has generally been considered Sacred. How much does it lose? (I thought that was why the swoop of the tab underhangs the title of the adjacent background tabs.)

Toolbar customization is so hard to support well and make look good. :-/
I don't think it actually changes the density of the tabs, just the amount of text that is displayed on them. I lose the 2 last characters with the curved tabs on. Which in general isn't a drama, but with a lot of tabs open from the same site, it gets just that little bit harder to identify which tab is what.

I think I'm maybe allowing Tab Mix Plus to make the tabs narrower than the default minimum when I have a lot of them open, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I like Australis

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

What is up with panorama, by the way?

There's posts all over last year that it was going to disappear and live on as an addon, but it's still there for me. Did they add it back and did I just skip the updates where they stripped it out temporarily?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If you don't like the rounded tabs, try out MX4 or FXOpera. Also I fixed the titlebar thing by adding this to my userchrome.css

code:
#titlebar {
    margin-bottom: -60px !important;
}
So I've pretty much got the new interface how I want it to look. Just waiting for an addon to be able to move the hamburger icon.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Just waiting for an addon to be able to move the hamburger icon.
Classic Theme Restorer offers me the option for the old orange Firefox button, which I don't care for. But a neat side effect of it is that they included the option to move or hide the hamburger thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty ridiculous, even if the UI design were for sale. :tinfoil:

Who's telling you that? What use cases are they testing? I haven't worked on Firefox for almost 3 years, but I indirectly managed the Firefox UX team for a while, and they were very much into the evidence-based UI design approach. I pretty much only ever heard them asking for efficient ways to do *more* animation, to improve user understand of what happened.

Animations are a great way to mask response time, and even beyond that make interfaces feel more responsive. It also gives better cues in many cases about what's happening. Think of tab dragging: seeing the tabs slide to make space is much better than flashing to the new state as you drag, since it's easier to tell what has changed. Motion is also a much better tool than color for drawing transient attention to something. The data on that is pretty clear, not that "fun" is a bad thing.

See, you're talking about animation that actually adds something to the UI. I'm talking about animations like "the bookmark menu has an animation when you open it". It doesn't convey any information, it just takes longer for the menu to open. That gets annoying after a few clicks.

edit: That said, aside from little irks like that, I actually am liking Australis quite a bit. I really like the new tab bar and I have no idea why. I just wish I could move the Menu button to the left. It's weird to relocate that when I have 20 years of muscle memory telling me to go up and to the left to get to the menu with all the settings in it.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 29, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't mind Australis. I'll adjust to things being in different places eventually.

But one thing that's driving me up the wall is that the empty space to the right of your tabs now seems to be considered part of the title bar.

It means that if I go to open a new tab by double clicking to the right of an existing tab* it has the same effect as clicking on the title bar of a regular window - it resizes my window. If I go to close several tabs quickly by clicking on the small 'x' in the corner of the tabs, it does the same thing unless I do it really. really. slowly.

* I use Tab Mix Plus and I think this is a feature of that extension. It also let me resize how big the tabs are and now they all fit nicely across the top of the screen.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

But one thing that's driving me up the wall is that the empty space to the right of your tabs now seems to be considered part of the title bar.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is an old issue, but it's probably about time to get it sorted out with the new skin here.

An addon from years ago disabled the standard gradient overlay over the top bar and tabs. But after uninstalling the effect never came back. Anybody know what config I need to restore to return it?

It's just plain white atm. This was taken in safe mode (w/o addons).

Also is there a way of accessing the old firefox button menu - that basically combined File/Edit/View etc. - without hitting alt? That is, can I get that functionality back with a button, or am I gonna have to look for an extension?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

What is up with panorama, by the way?

There's posts all over last year that it was going to disappear and live on as an addon, but it's still there for me. Did they add it back and did I just skip the updates where they stripped it out temporarily?

They never made the addon

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

hifi posted:

They never made the addon

Funnily all this talk about panorama getting discontinued made me check it out, and I now use it regularly.

If you read the bug basically they say

quote:

Unless somebody picks this up, nothing will change. Please don't comment on this bug if there is no change of the status quo. There is no current commitment for either improving or removing Panorama.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's probably only one path to getting Panorama worked on again. Someone needs to convince Google to add it into Chrome.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Is there anyway of making the address bar icons smaller so the whole toolbar takes up less vertical space? Before 29 I could go to customize and then check small icons. I like the new redesign but it takes up so much space on my low res macbook air screen!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

bsaber posted:

Is there anyway of making the address bar icons smaller so the whole toolbar takes up less vertical space? Before 29 I could go to customize and then check small icons. I like the new redesign but it takes up so much space on my low res macbook air screen!

Check out the Australis Slimmr plugin that was mentioned at the bottom of the last page. One of its options is to reduce the height of the navigation bar. You can also set it to make the navigation bar auto-hide.

kmurph
Oct 11, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

Check out the Australis Slimmr plugin that was mentioned at the bottom of the last page. One of its options is to reduce the height of the navigation bar. You can also set it to make the navigation bar auto-hide.

Exactly what I was looking for!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Just got it in the Kubuntu repos.

I do miss the addon bar and I wish I could move the menu button back over to the left but otherwise I don't actually mind the overall "look" too much. The menu bar/tab bar do feel oddly "plump". I might try that slimmer addon if it bugs me enough.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Thanks for the link. The autohide is going to take some getting use to but looks like what I'm looking for.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

bsaber posted:

Thanks for the link. The autohide is going to take some getting use to but looks like what I'm looking for.

You can turn the auto-hide off in the add-on's options.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Australis is good, mostly, in my opinion, thank you.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

If I wanted to look at chrome I'd be using it.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I don't understand all the complaints. Version 29 looks great to me.

(With a few tweaks.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How did you change out the colours? I like having my browser match my desktop and powder blue everything isn't helping.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I'm using Classic Theme Restorer, Tab Mix Plus, Status-4-Evar and some custom CSS.

From the previous page:

jeeves posted:

Now if only I could find a way to remove the animations from when you open the bookmark menu or such. It's slight, but it is drat annoying to someone that turns off all animations by default.

I use the following CSS to disable most (all?) of the annoying animations:
code:
* {
 transition-property: none !important;
}

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

All hail Firefox XXIX. Thy zippy UI animation and smooth scrollingness shall restore thee to thine rightful glory.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

YggiDee posted:

How did you change out the colours? I like having my browser match my desktop and powder blue everything isn't helping.

If I'm reading this right, then it's the SALR extension

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thanks for that, it makes things a lot better for me.

Is there a way to get the icons for all my extension back to the bottom of the screen again? I looked but couldn't find any option to do that.

Having them up the top of the screen has pretty much killed ReminderFox's usefulness because it can't show the reminders anymore.

EDIT - well, going out and turning off my computer seemed to do the trick for that. When I came back Firefox decided it would now allow me to put my icons down the bottom again. Yay.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a reasonably easy way to transfer firefox add-ons' settings to a different computer?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

tonberrytoby posted:

Is there a reasonably easy way to transfer firefox add-ons' settings to a different computer?

I don't know if this works for your purpose, but I think the preferences for your addons can be found in the userprefs.js file. For myself, if I transfer to a new/another computer, I just copy my whole profile folder over. It takes all my addons and preferences along.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Implied Consent posted:

I use the following CSS to disable most (all?) of the annoying animations:
code:
* {
}
This interferes with TabMixPlus dynamically adding a close button to the pointed at tab. You still get a button, but it hasn't got an x in it and it's all narrow and suppository-shaped.

I'll deal with it one way or the other; just a heads up.

tonberrytoby posted:

MozBackup does nothing but zip up your userprofile folder, but you can sort of select what is copied along. You can then restore the backup to another computer. Low fuss.

e.: Addons are called extensions there for some reason and you might need unknown files too.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 30, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I move the address bar on the same line as my tabs? The Firefox icon is half sized, but I can ignore that.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

This interferes with TabMixPlus dynamically adding a close button to the pointed at tab. You still get a button, but it hasn't got an x in it and it's all narrow and suppository-shaped.

I just did a test and I didn't see the same issue. That CSS rule is a nuke-all-animations-from-orbit rule though so it could have undesired effects. I've been using it for a long time and haven't had any problems though.

I hate UI animations. I'm pretty sure they're the reason I kill.

Edit: The following code is more specific to the sliding and fading panel things:
code:
.panel-arrowcontainer {
}

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 30, 2014

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

The Dark One posted:

I wish there was a little more contrast on the background tabs. When I have more than one tab from the same site open, it feels harder than it should be to read and find the right one.

I had the exact same issue and Tab Mix Plus solved it. Tab Mix Plus Preferences=>Display=>Tab=>Customize Styles. Tons of options.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone else been having problems with the Firefox process not ending after the browser is closed? I haven't seen it do this in like two years or more of use but after upgrading to 29 it's started happening nearly every session. Hopefully it isn't because of the Classic Theme Restorer, that thing is pretty much indispensable. Other than having task manager open to quit the process I can't think of a work-around for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I started having problems with that with 28. Like you I hadn't seen that happen in a while and then it just started happening a few weeks back. Our problems may not be related, of course.

I've been getting more crashes as well (also starting with 28). I may have solved this one by disabling an addon but we'll see what happens.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 1, 2014