Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a thing today about how Storm's upcoming series is the first time she's ever had an ongoing solo book and I was wondering, how many other X-Men have gotten their own ongoing? There's obviously Wolverine and the current Magneto series but I couldn't really think of anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I saw a thing today about how Storm's upcoming series is the first time she's ever had an ongoing solo book and I was wondering, how many other X-Men have gotten their own ongoing? There's obviously Wolverine and the current Magneto series but I couldn't really think of anyone else.
Cable, Emma Frost, Gambit, Havok, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Rogue, X-23...and then there's been a whole assload of 4-issue minis for almost everyone.

http://uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/

(You did mean in the past, right?)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 30, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just adding more ongoings: Bishop. Gambit. Warlock. X-Man, Maverick, Quicksilver, and Cable, if you're generous. X-Men Legacy has been a Xavier book, then a Rogue book, and then a Legion book in essence.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Robert Kirkman and Casey Jones's Jubilee series was solicited as an ongoing and quickly downgraded to a six issue mini-series.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do bad guys count? Daken had one for a while.

Deadpool? He was part of X-Force.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rogue had a mini too. Yeesh, at this point I'm just surprised this is Storm's first.

Edit, Dazzler, but I'm pretty sure that started as a solo book and then she joined the X-men.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyclops has one coming up right?

Skwirl posted:

Rogue had a mini too. Yeesh, at this point I'm just surprised this is Storm's first.

Edit, Dazzler, but I'm pretty sure that started as a solo book and then she joined the X-men.

Dazzler, iirc, was, introduced in UXM and they were like, oh please Dazzler you're so cool join our team, and she was like "nope gonna do my own thing because DISCO WILL NEVER DIE". Some one told me the other day that Dazzler was supposed to be a Grace Kelly-type emption controller and then they decided to hop on the disco bandwagon.

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 30, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gambit's had three ongoing books. Cable's had three if you count Soldier X. Bishop had two if you count Division X as a Bishop book. Kitty Pryde has had more minis than any other X-Man except Wolverine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Given how many writers have displayed what I'll politely call an "overt fondness" for Kitty, I'm a bit surprised she's never gotten an ongoing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Given how many writers have displayed what I'll politely call an "overt fondness" for Kitty, I'm a bit surprised she's never gotten an ongoing.

But then after the abysmal numbers the series produced they wouldn't be able to delude themselves as giving the fans what they want when they write kitty Pryde as the bestest thing ever.

Seriously writers nobody cares about Kitty Pryde, Jubilee was the current generation's X-Men Wolverine is my dad self-insert wank bait.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think the question was about ongoings, Storm's had mini-series before, as have basically everyone who has been an X-Man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has Elektra ever fought Electro?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't believe so, but Electro had a daughter that briefly went by the name "Electra" in Spider-Girl.

So there's that.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't believe so, but Electro had a daughter that briefly went by the name "Electra" in Spider-Girl.

So there's that.
And in Ultimate Spider-Man Kingping introduces his enforcer Electra, and was corrected by Max Dillon that he was going by Electro, and not Electra.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I read some comics in 2011 maybe about a pulp adventure style team I think of original characters, one of them was a son of a dragon or something like that, and I feel like there were elephant people related somehow. The elephant people might be from something else. My memory is terrible, can anyone help me out?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It could be Elephantmen. I mean, it's worth considering the obvious candidate here.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm re-reading (the Bendis run of) New Avengers, and... does anybody know why so much effort was put forth to break out Sauron in the opening plot? Sauron shouts "I was brought there for a reason!! I was brought here for-"... but never finishes his sentence. I guess Skrulls were involved for some reason, looking on the internet, but was wondering if that dangler was ever fully explained.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If something from that era goes unexplained, just assume Skrulls. Bendis might have had a more specific idea, but it was never followed up on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Corsair dead?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

If something from that era goes unexplained, just assume Skrulls. Bendis might have had a more specific idea, but it was never followed up on.

The impression I've gotten, looking at some other material, was that there was going to be a wide-spanning conspiracy story involving corruption in SHIELD that ended up getting pushed aside by wave after wave of crossovers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wasn't Corsair dead?

Yup. But this is a Bendis book so good luck on that ever getting explained. Unless Rucka does it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't Corsair dead?

SKRULLS.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Claytor posted:

The impression I've gotten, looking at some other material, was that there was going to be a wide-spanning conspiracy story involving corruption in SHIELD that ended up getting pushed aside by wave after wave of crossovers.

Well, the corruption in SHIELD ended up being skrull infiltrators, no idea if that was the original plan, but it gets hinted at relatively early.

Even the flashback issues explaining the skrulls in the Savage Land don't explain why Sauron was busted out, as I reread further.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wasn't Corsair dead?

Didn't he die in a Vulcan story? I think everyone who died due to Vulcan should get a free resurrection pass, no explanation needed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't he die in a Vulcan story? I think everyone who died due to Vulcan should get a free resurrection pass, no explanation needed.

Yeah, he was vaporized. It's why Alex and Lorna (and Rachel but gently caress her) were part of the Starjammers for a while. I think Cho'od died as well. Or maybe it was Rhaza. Korvus is on the ship and he came from that story so they're acknowledging that part at least.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

All the explanation we've gotten so far, courtesy of All-New X-Men 23.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

All the explanation we've gotten so far, courtesy of All-New X-Men 23.

That's more than enough.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, if there's one guy who's allowed to shrug off being on the dead list it's Errol Flynn In Space.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm looking at Vol 3 of Hawkeye and see that the issue numbering has been mostly fixed, but I'm still wondering why Vol 3 is only Kate's story and not just the next 5 issues + Annual? Are they releasing Vol 3 as Kate's story (14, 16, 18, Annual) and Vol 4 as Clint/Barney's story (12, 13, 15, 17). Why doesn't Issue #20 exist anywhere, it's not on the website it just goes from 19 straight to 21.

Wasn't there supposed to be an issue for deaf people, ala dog issue? This numbering is so hosed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The last published issue was #18.
19-21 were all delayed. Maybe they don't have a new date for #20 yet.

Here's the solicit:
code:
    HAWKEYE #20

MATT FRACTION (W) | ANNIE WU (A)

Cover by DAVID AJA

• KATE-GUY! MADAME MASQUE! LOS ANGELES! EXPLOSIONS! THE END OF SUMMER VACATION! THE FINAL SHOWDOWN FOR ALL THE MARBLES! THE MARBLES ARE A METAPHOR!

• YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG TO THE MERRY MARBLE MARCHING SOCIETY!

• This is… THE BIG ONE. Fraction and Wu and Hollingsworth too — OH MY!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
Dog issue was #11.

Makes sense to split the characters up in trades. They haven't crossed over yet.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 8, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The last published issue was #18.

Here's the #20 solicit:

code:
    HAWKEYE #20

MATT FRACTION (W) | ANNIE WU (A)

Cover by DAVID AJA

• KATE-GUY! MADAME MASQUE! LOS ANGELES! EXPLOSIONS! THE END OF SUMMER VACATION! THE FINAL SHOWDOWN FOR ALL THE MARBLES! THE MARBLES ARE A METAPHOR!

• YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG TO THE MERRY MARBLE MARCHING SOCIETY!

• This is… THE BIG ONE. Fraction and Wu and Hollingsworth too — OH MY!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
Dog issue was #11.

Makes sense to split the characters up in trades. They haven't crossed over yet.
No, I mean there was supposed to be a special issue featuring Sign Language, or something? I haven't read anything past Issue #11 except for the "Christmas" special (that came out in March)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh whoops. I read ALA as AKA.

I'm guessing it'd have to be Clint's next one. There'd be a story reason for that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 8, 2014

SMP
May 5, 2009

So I've been reading Brubaker's Captain America stuff and I've got a question about Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Dum Dum.

How are Nick Fury and Dum Dum still so relatively young? Were they frozen too or something? They only look middle aged yet somehow fought in WW2 alongside Cap. Bucky also mentions he's been working with Black Widow since the 50s and that she was awake to see the entire cold war. Just how old is she despite looking late 20s/early 30s? How are all these people still around?!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SMP posted:

So I've been reading Brubaker's Captain America stuff and I've got a question about Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Dum Dum.

How are Nick Fury and Dum Dum still so relatively young? Were they frozen too or something? They only look middle aged yet somehow fought in WW2 alongside Cap. Bucky also mentions he's been working with Black Widow since the 50s and that she was awake to see the entire cold war. Just how old is she despite looking late 20s/early 30s? How are all these people still around?!

Fury didn't get Erskine's super-soldier serum, but he did get the Infinity Formula, which makes him borderline ageless. Back in the '80s, they had to figure out a good reason that Dum Dum and company were still around, and in at least one comic, they said it was because they spent so much time hanging out with Nick. (I guess the Formula is contagious or radioactive or something.) Fred Hembeck drew a strip for Marvel Age (I think) where Nick had retired and Dum Dum was stalking him so that he could keep from aging. I remember the two of them sitting in a rowboat with fishing poles. :allears:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 8, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula, which is an anti-aging serum. It's been implied that Dum Dum Dugan either was exposed to it himself, or alternately is subject to the same sliding time scale that affects characters like Tony Stark, depending on who's writing him. Black Widow was enhanced by a Russian super-soldier program that accounts for her greatly slowed aging.

Nick had to be dosed every year with the Formula, or he would rapidly reach his real age. But the last samples were recently destroyed, and there was handwaving about there being "enough serum left in his system" for him to age normally from now on. Which doesn't make a lot of sense on the barest reflection, but Bendis, so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Marvel should just have all of their comics take place in 1965 in perpetuity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouҀ™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula, which is an anti-aging serum. It's been implied that Dum Dum Dugan either was exposed to it himself, or alternately is subject to the same sliding time scale that affects characters like Tony Stark, depending on who's writing him. Black Widow was enhanced by a Russian super-soldier program that accounts for her greatly slowed aging.

Nick had to be dosed every year with the Formula, or he would rapidly reach his real age. But the last samples were recently destroyed, and there was handwaving about there being "enough serum left in his system" for him to age normally from now on. Which doesn't make a lot of sense on the barest reflection, but Bendis, so.

Why are you blaming Bendis for a Brubaker comic in fear itself captain america 7.1 or battle scars?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Why are you blaming Bendis for a Brubaker comic in fear itself captain america 7.1 or battle scars?

I got mixed up and thought that was part of the plotline in New Avengers where part of the last sample of the Infinity Formula gets used on Mockingbird; I didn't realize it wrapped up in a different comic, since I wasn't reading Captain America at the time.

Also I have been doing my best to try and purge Battle Scars from my brain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

BENDIS DID EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG AND PROBABLY 9/11 TOO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Was there an actual scene of Venom joining the Guardians or just that little bit in the recap page in issue 14?