Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Uthor posted:

Has a digital manga storefront come to the fore? I asked about a year ago, but maybe things have changed. Basically, I'd like to read Monster and wouldn't mind owning a copy of 20th Century Boys.

Viz has a digital store, but unfortunately most of their older stuff including those Urasawa books aren't available there. There's an app on iTunes called Mangastorm that focuses on scanlations, though honestly I have no idea about the legality of that stuff (and I'll remove the name it it's against the rules)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
In this months Previews there are reprintings of 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto. Hopefully once those come out they bring them to the digital store too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Comixology's site hasn't been updated yet but the Marvel App has. I guess I'll be using that to buy Wednesday comics in the future. The Image app hasn't been updated either as of 11pm JST.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Why? It the first one, and the latest one to be released. If they want new readera it's smart to go with recent issues.

Putting it way it makes perfect sense. I just assumed they'd made a mistake. :downs:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hadji murad posted:

Comixology's site hasn't been updated yet but the Marvel App has. I guess I'll be using that to buy Wednesday comics in the future. The Image app hasn't been updated either as of 11pm JST.

? Site updated a free minutes after 9 for me. It was slow and I can't see previews but I bought a few new releases an hour ago.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

So long as someone else has brought up the manga question, is there any decent place to get manga in the original Japanese? The digital bookstores I've used in Japan want me to use their proprietary reader, which is invariably the slowest and clunkiest piece of software you can imagine. And iTunes doesn't want to take my credit card, so gently caress those guys.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

So long as someone else has brought up the manga question, is there any decent place to get manga in the original Japanese? The digital bookstores I've used in Japan want me to use their proprietary reader, which is invariably the slowest and clunkiest piece of software you can imagine. And iTunes doesn't want to take my credit card, so gently caress those guys.

It's not really cheap but I've gotten a few volumes of One Piece off Amazon. I forget the name of the guy I was buying from but if I can find that tonight I'll message it to you.
EDIT: Unless you're talking about digital then I dunno. I'll stop derailing though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Senor Candle posted:

It's not really cheap but I've gotten a few volumes of One Piece off Amazon. I forget the name of the guy I was buying from but if I can find that tonight I'll message it to you.
EDIT: Unless you're talking about digital then I dunno. I'll stop derailing though.

Yeah, I was talking about digital. Thanks anyway, though.

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011
I'm doing some research on tablets mainly for comic book reading. What do you guys recommend? Does anyone read in a 7" tablet? I rather not have to zoom in and out too often and prefer reading comics full page, is that doable in a 7" screen?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Professor Lazy posted:

I'm doing some research on tablets mainly for comic book reading. What do you guys recommend? Does anyone read in a 7" tablet? I rather not have to zoom in and out too often and prefer reading comics full page, is that doable in a 7" screen?

Assuming you get something with retina, yes. My eyes aren't great, but I was surprised by how legible and sharp reading on an iPad Mini was. I'd still take a full sized tablet any day of the week, though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Professor Lazy posted:

You should be able to walk into an ATT store or something and mess around with an iPad mini. If you ask them they might let you DL comixology and download a free comic or something. I've never tried to do that though so I don't know what their policies are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends which 7 inch tablet. An iPad Mini probably works, but I can't see the aspect ratio of a Nexus 7 being very good for reading comics.

An iPad Air, or I suppose that Samsung tablet they keep advertising, would be the best choice though. I still have to zoom occasionally on my Air but that's because Comixology puts 2 page spreads together, which is better than splitting them anyway. Normal single pages are fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My friend reads single pages full screen just fine on the og Nexus 7 (some zooming needed on two page spreads). The new one should be even better with its screen resolution bump.

The newest iPad Mini should also work great. Same with Amazon's Kindle Fire (though I would go Nexus over Kindle unless you're a heavy Amazon user, especially of their video service).

Hell, my phone has a 4.65" 1280*720 screen and I can read the text of a full size comic page. I have to squint and it's not something I would want to do all day, but anything of at least that resolution but bigger should be fine.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Professor Lazy posted:

I think a 10" tablet is a huge improvement on reading full pages at a time. I have good eyes and don't wear glasses but I found my Nexus 7 to be frustrating to read on, while my iPad 3 and my 10" HD Windows 8.1 tablet are way more enjoyable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Also, if you are looking at 7" tablets for the price and only want to read books/watch videos, the 9" Nook HD+ is a fantastic value. I'd rather get the Nexus 7 for gaming or more general purpose usage, but the Nook works great if you stick to comiXology, Netflix, and YouTube.

If you want a 7" for the size and portability, go with something more powerful.

_Tundra_
Mar 19, 2009

Professor Lazy posted:

I read on a current generation Nexus 7 all the time. The size and resolution are fine for single pages - double page spreads generally need a little zoom or use of guided view. A 10" tablet would probably be easier to read, but wouldn't suit my commute nearly so well.

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011
It's good to know that a 7 inch screen is readable. I was looking at the Nexus 7, but I think I'm gonna wait a little and buy the Nexus 10. I can't really use a tablet on my commute so I think the size difference will be more beneficial than not.

I was initially interested on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 or the Nook 9, but I live in a country with stupid high import taxes and I couldn't find them available for sale here online. I did find the Kindle Fire HD 7, but the price difference with a bigger tablet like the Nexus 10 is not that much so I think that's my best bet.

Thank you all for the answers!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Professor Lazy posted:

It's good to know that a 7 inch screen is readable. I was looking at the Nexus 7, but I think I'm gonna wait a little and buy the Nexus 10. I can't really use a tablet on my commute so I think the size difference will be more beneficial than not.

I was initially interested on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 or the Nook 9, but I live in a country with stupid high import taxes and I couldn't find them available for sale here online. I did find the Kindle Fire HD 7, but the price difference with a bigger tablet like the Nexus 10 is not that much so I think that's my best bet.

Thank you all for the answers!

Having a Nexus 10, which I love and use to read comics regularly, it'll do the job and do it well, however it is an older tablet and is starting to show it's age. That may not mean much to you, but just something to consider.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

iBooks has a ton in the Japanese store.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

hadji murad posted:

iBooks has a ton in the Japanese store.

But Apple won't accept my filthy gaijin credit card, as I explained in the original post.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

But Apple won't accept my filthy gaijin credit card, as I explained in the original post.
Create a Japanese iTunes store account and buy Japanese gift cards off the internet?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Kins posted:

Create a Japanese iTunes store account and buy Japanese gift cards off the internet?

I've done that before, but paying a 20% markup on every purchase isn't ideal. If I could just pay the cover price and not have to deal with lovely e-reader programs I'd be much happier.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

I've done that before, but paying a 20% markup on every purchase isn't ideal. If I could just pay the cover price and not have to deal with lovely e-reader programs I'd be much happier.

Then probably move to Japan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sarchasm posted:

Go to your bank and ask for credit/debit card that will work in Japan.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Then probably move to Japan.

You are a wit.

It's not that my credit card won't work in Japan (I use it with Amazon and the like), but that iTunes won't accept purchases made with a foreign billing address. I couldn't even make iTunes purchases when I was living in Japan because my card always pointed back to America.

Anyway, I can make do with Amazon's limited selection for the time being, I feel like I've used too much space here for an issue of very narrow interest. Thanks anyway. If anybody knows any better options, feel free to send me a PM.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Try Play-Asia for cards.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Damnit Comixology...

I posted:

The email you sent me about upgrading my comixology app also mentions a gift voucher. It says I have to do nothing to recieve it, but it's not showing up when I try to buy comics.

Andrew from Comixology Support posted:

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your patience. We know that you’ve come to expect fast, effective support from us and we want to make sure you continue experiencing that. We’ve received a high volume of emails over the past two days and want to set the expectation that it will take us longer than usual to get back to you.

As you may know, we no longer support in-app purchasing through comiXology iOS and have shifted to a web-based purchasing model that will allow us to strike the best balance between prices, selection and customer experience. You’ll now need to make all of your purchases on comixology.com and then the comics will sync over to your app.

Our web store is home to many exclusive money saving features like comiXology’s web-only bundles, subscriptions, and eGift cards. In fact, Subscriptions are a super convenient way to ensure the latest issues of your favorite series get delivered directly to your account as soon as they are released.

If you’re having trouble finding books that were previously available to you in the original Comics app, we’ll work with you to track everything down.

Start by opening the original Comics app, logging into your comiXology account, and tapping the Restore button at the top left of the Purchases tab. That will sync up your Apple ID purchases to your comiXology username. If you’re noticing that all of your comics are not showing up in your comiXology account, it’s possible that some of those Apple ID purchases were synced to a different comiXology account. No worries there, we can work to merge multiple accounts.

If you’re having trouble signing into your account, or if you haven’t reset your password since March 6th, follow this link: https://www.comixology.com/forgot

For any additional questions, or if you still need support, please contact us at support@comixology.com

As always, we can’t thank you enough for your support. Nothing matters more to us than our community.

- Andrew

[quote = I]
Thank you, but my question was about the credit token your email offered. I've done everything in that email and this one, but my $5 credit hasn't appeared.[/quote]

Andrew Again posted:

Hey James! SO sorry about the delay getting back to you. In order to qualify you must have purchased directly from the comiXology website or Comics app. Unfortunately, your purchases do not qualify.

Thank you so much for your continued support

- Andrew

So that's a whole heap of help, and is probably more irritating than if I'd never known about the credit. anyone else having issues?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Are you using the US store or the EU? Cos it won't appear in the EU store since it's a $5 credit, not $5 dollar or equivalent in your area.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm in Japan and I used the credit at comixology.com

Still have a buck left.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Up 'til now, I've always used the app, but yeah, UK store. Didn't realise there was a difference.

Since it looks like I'll be using a website for everything now anyway, I'll probably try using the US. Probably better value.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Elfface posted:

Up 'til now, I've always used the app, but yeah, UK store. Didn't realise there was a difference.

Since it looks like I'll be using a website for everything now anyway, I'll probably try using the US. Probably better value.

Yep, you have to go to .com to use the credit (I did it to grab the Ted McKeever Library volume I was missing). However, when I go to Comixology.com from Safari on the iPad, it tells me I can't make purchases from there and have to use the UK site. It let me spend my credit easily enough but it seems you have to make purchases from the UK site.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is X-Statix not available on comiXology?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Sadly, no. I'd buy that in a hot second.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

InShaneee posted:

Sadly, no. I'd buy that in a hot second.

Weird, I would have thought they would have put it up when they released the Omnibus.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

You can probably pick up the HUGE omni for like 30-40 bucks online somewhere.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I really hope Amazon is able to get prices down, I don't think they care if brick and mortar stores go out of business, but that may get them in hot water with the publishers. It's ridiculous to see Kindle collections for half the price the collection goes for on Comixology. Of course, I'm not going to buy Kindle comics, so that may be part of the pricing difference, but that shouldn't matter any longer.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

sleepingbuddha posted:

I really hope Amazon is able to get prices down, I don't think they care if brick and mortar stores go out of business, but that may get them in hot water with the publishers. It's ridiculous to see Kindle collections for half the price the collection goes for on Comixology. Of course, I'm not going to buy Kindle comics, so that may be part of the pricing difference, but that shouldn't matter any longer.

Amazon has made a habit of undercutting sales of other sites. Whenever Steam has a sale you can check Amazon and the same games will probably be cheaper. It tends to be nice when the games have steam keys. :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3D virtual reality comic book stores are the future!
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/1/5671438/john-carmack-virtual-reality-comic-book-shop

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope it comes with the smelly nerd behind the counter that disdainfully rings up my purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Besides Viz, try the Yen Press app. They've added some pretty good licenses in the last year. I haven't opened the DMP app in ages but I never deleted it either.