Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah there's one Blanton's for sale in the PA state stores too.

Also I had some fun introducing some people to Ardbeg Uigeadail the other night. One lady who hates scotch couldn't stop smelling it (she didn't like to taste it, just smell it) :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

There's some misinformation about Blanton's here. Regular Blanton's is a Buffalo Trace brand, and Blanton's is by definition a single-barrel bourbon. There are no 'blend' variants. Blanton's is available in lots of different places, USA included.

There are, however, three different Blanton's variants that are available in duty free stores and overseas. Straight From The Barrel, Gold, and Special Reserve.

OG Blanton's is delicious and I really want to try the barrel-proof variety.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any recommendations for good bottles of scotch to pick up at duty free stores in US airports? A couple coworkers offered to grab me bottles.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Howdy, I'm currently introducing myself to Bourbon. I work as a liquor store manager in my (barely) late 20s. I recently came across 3 bottles of the Diageo Orphan Barrel, and a few Old Rip bottles for clients because we stock full lines of the respective distillers. I'm currently a big fan of Eagle Rare 10yr, and Buffalo Trace. I was also gifted a bottle of the 2011 Buffalo Trace Experimental Bourbon that was gifted to me for finding a bottle of Old Rip for a client. I hope to have some great conversations about Bourbons with all of you.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Ardbeg Uigeadail

My absolute favorite bottle of whisky on this planet. drat, I love Ardbeg, Uigeadail especially.

I don't suppose anyone's tried the Supernova? I've been looking for a trip report. It's like an even heavier peat version of Ardbeg that I'd somehow managed to never know about until fairly recently. Hell, do they even sell it in the US? I haven't seen it in upstate NY, but with my money situation lately I haven't exactly gone on a hunt for it either.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've been drinking Jim Beam White for a long time since it's pretty much the only dirt-cheap, readily available bourbon here in rural UK. And, while I'll be keeping a bottle around for lovely party drinks like boilermakers and such, I need something with some actual flavour. Also, a good introductory rye. I'm no stranger to full flavour (I'm a big fan of Laphroaig and Smith & Cross rum), and in fact I'd prefer something with some complexity and body, since all my homemade Manhattans thus far have been dull, lifeless affairs :(

I was thinking maybe Wild Turkey 101 for bourbon, and Rittenhouse 100 for rye? Seems like both have a pretty good rep here.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wild Turkey 101 is always a great place to start with bourbon. Not sure about the rye though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Devoz posted:

Any recommendations for good bottles of scotch to pick up at duty free stores in US airports? A couple coworkers offered to grab me bottles.

Do you like peat? A friend got http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/qa-cask.aspx and I haven't stopped wanting more after my first sip. The QA oak has a strong vanilla character and it balances out with the base scotch like woah.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Wachter posted:

I've been drinking Jim Beam White for a long time since it's pretty much the only dirt-cheap, readily available bourbon here in rural UK. And, while I'll be keeping a bottle around for lovely party drinks like boilermakers and such, I need something with some actual flavour. Also, a good introductory rye. I'm no stranger to full flavour (I'm a big fan of Laphroaig and Smith & Cross rum), and in fact I'd prefer something with some complexity and body, since all my homemade Manhattans thus far have been dull, lifeless affairs :(

I was thinking maybe Wild Turkey 101 for bourbon, and Rittenhouse 100 for rye? Seems like both have a pretty good rep here.
WT101 is very nice especially at the price. Rittenhouse 100 is delicious as well and it's a go-to for me these days.

While it's not a thread favorite, if you like Jim Beam White I've had a couple bottles of the 6-year tripled aged JB Black lately (there was a sale this month) and I found it to be quite drinkable and a good value, despite my dislike for JB White.

If you have access to Bulleit rye it's big on flavor as well and quite accessible.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Fenrir posted:

My absolute favorite bottle of whisky on this planet. drat, I love Ardbeg, Uigeadail especially.

I don't suppose anyone's tried the Supernova? I've been looking for a trip report. It's like an even heavier peat version of Ardbeg that I'd somehow managed to never know about until fairly recently. Hell, do they even sell it in the US? I haven't seen it in upstate NY, but with my money situation lately I haven't exactly gone on a hunt for it either.

There are 2 editions of supernova, the 2009 and the 2010. Both are exceedingly rare and I've never had the pleasure of tasting the 2009 but I have the last of a bottle of 2010 in my closet at the moment. Very heavy smoke and harsh peat hit up front, more peat than smoke, char, creosote or the other supplementary grungy flavors that make ardbeg dirtier than Laphroaig QC or similar -- those are present but hit a little more in the aftertaste.

More details on that trip and some other ardbegs here.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
If the gossip on a local whisky forum turns out to be true there's a 3rd edition of Supernova coming later this year.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm pretty nonplussed about those extreme peat whiskies. I've tried an Octomore (not sure which one, but a recent one) recently and while the peat explosion is interesting it's a bit of a gimmick imho.

It's a blast of peat and then nothing.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Wachter posted:

Rittenhouse 100 seems quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. Maybe consider Sazerac Rye, or Pikesville (which I believe is Heaven Hill as well).

WT101 is a fantastic bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 at a similar price point as well.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Devoz posted:

I think it's fun just to pick up anything duty-free exclusive. Nothing there's gonna be too surprising, and even if you're not blown away, you'll have something you couldn't have otherwise gotten. I picked up the Highland Park DF exclusive last month, and am enjoying it well enough. It's my first non-Islay island whisky, so I can't really say how it holds up though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slimchandi posted:

Rittenhouse 100 seems quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. Maybe consider Sazerac Rye, or Pikesville (which I believe is Heaven Hill as well).

WT101 is a fantastic bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 at a similar price point as well.

Rittenhouse is proving a lot easier to find than Sazerac in my neck of the woods. Sazerac was another contender but it seems to be sold out everywhere.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Deleuzionist posted:

If the gossip on a local whisky forum turns out to be true there's a 3rd edition of Supernova coming later this year.

:hellyeah:

I'ma call my guy about this.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

Wachter posted:

my neck of the woods.

Where is this so I can drive there tonight.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spankmeister posted:

I'm pretty nonplussed about those extreme peat whiskies. I've tried an Octomore (not sure which one, but a recent one) recently and while the peat explosion is interesting it's a bit of a gimmick imho.

It's a blast of peat and then nothing.

Octomore is pretty much the definition of peat gimmick (I still enjoy it greatly). Stuff like the Laphroaig QA or the Balvenie Peated Cask is what calls to me in my sleep, though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slimchandi posted:

Where is this so I can drive there tonight.

Corks of Cotham in Bristol appear to stock it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Wachter posted:

No idea if you'll be able to find it in the UK, but Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. 100 proof and a lot of flavor.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

rxcowboy posted:

Makers 46, Angels Envy, Tullamore Dew Single Malt, Pike Creek Port Finished Rye, Glenlivet/fiddich/farclas 12.

All smooth, sweet but not cloying and with enough flavor not to bore you or scare them.

Thank you so much for your suggestion! The Pike Creek Port Finished Rye went over swimmingly. I also gave him a bottle of The Glenlivet for the honeymoon.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

door Door door posted:

No idea if you'll be able to find it in the UK, but Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. 100 proof and a lot of flavor.

OGD 80 is definitely available here, but never seen the BiB or 114. The 80 is around £30. :(

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Has anyone tried any of the Edradour offerings? I'm looking to branch out a bit from the scotches I've been drinking previously (Highland Park, Talisker, Lagavulin), and based on the massive chart that was posted earlier (http://i.imgur.com/1fh6eyc.png) it looks like it should be almost the polar opposite of Lagavulin?

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

spiderbot posted:

Has anyone tried any of the Edradour offerings? I'm looking to branch out a bit from the scotches I've been drinking previously (Highland Park, Talisker, Lagavulin), and based on the massive chart that was posted earlier (http://i.imgur.com/1fh6eyc.png) it looks like it should be almost the polar opposite of Lagavulin?

I enjoyed the Edradour Ibisco I got a few years ago. Massive sherry flavours, cask strength, 13yo. It had a harsher alcohol burn I think than the Aberlour which is a higher %% but I still enjoyed it. I think it mellowed with time or I got more used to the big hit up front. edit: When I was at Edradour there was an old bloke doing information and store assistance, his favourite was the Ibisco too so it was a good suggestion when I originally bought it :)

Similarly I think my Signatory Vintage Highland Park has gone to open up some new flavours, I tried some the other night and it was completely different to what I remember... much more honey sweetness, like some sort of lolly. Either I'm remembering it wrong or it has oxidised a bit and opened up the bourbon barrel influence a lot more than originally.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
:siren: Attention PA Whiskeygoons :siren:

I was browsing PA's wine & spirits website for their new monthly deals today and found that Springbank 10 (which is awesome) is on "stealth sale" for just $39.99 a bottle. At my local state store it was still marked at $48.99, but I asked one of the employees to confirm the price and it rang up at the discounted price. I'd grab this while you can, as it's a great deal on one of the best mid-priced single-malts out there.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Slimchandi posted:

OGD 80 is definitely available here, but never seen the BiB or 114. The 80 is around £30. :(

drat. It's usually around $20 here. I figured it would be more expensive overseas but not that much.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Derby day is tomorrow, so I stopped by my local liquor store to pick up a bottle of bourbon for mint juleps. I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel (aged 10 years) for about $23. I got to try a sample before I purchased it, and it was pretty good. I'm not too good with tasting notes, unfortunately.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Meaty Ore posted:

I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel (aged 10 years) for about $23.

My brother-in-law's father (we are a close knit family :-) ) keeps a bottle of this on hand for all of the big and small family occasions. He is a good man.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Devil Wears Wings posted:

:siren: Attention PA Whiskeygoons :siren:

I was browsing PA's wine & spirits website for their new monthly deals today and found that Springbank 10 (which is awesome) is on "stealth sale" for just $39.99 a bottle. At my local state store it was still marked at $48.99, but I asked one of the employees to confirm the price and it rang up at the discounted price. I'd grab this while you can, as it's a great deal on one of the best mid-priced single-malts out there.

They *might* be discontinuing it, at least I saw it on the clearance shelf a couple months ago at one store. And it doesn't show up in their inventory online that I checked. Dammit, now I'll have to look out for it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Deleuzionist posted:

Oh :hellyeah:

I've GOT to try that poo poo, especially after reading KFC's post.

Also, back on the Bourbon front:
It's nothing super special but a friend and I split a pint of Jim Beam Devil's Cut last night. drat good for the price (375 bottle for $13 ain't bad in New York).

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

spoon0042 posted:

They *might* be discontinuing it, at least I saw it on the clearance shelf a couple months ago at one store. And it doesn't show up in their inventory online that I checked. Dammit, now I'll have to look out for it.

Oh I hope not, I had been ignoring it forever but finally picked up my first bottle of Springbank 10 about a month ago. I don't want to be too reactionary without more experience, but it may be one of my favorites at that price point or age. I'm very interested in trying other bottlings but I may get paranoid from your unfounded claims and pick up some more of the 10 year!

I did just pick up the Campbletown Loch blended on a whim, which I was rather disappointed with. Dominated by smoke and an uninteresting sweetness and very hot out of the bottle. Water was needed but did little to open up the flavors. Not the worst, but for a ~$40 blended there are others I like significantly more.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Johnny Walker
Black, Gold, Plat, and Blue

You know Johnny Black is a nice whisky, unobtrusive in some ways and good to drink while you're doing something else. When you're tasting it and just focusing on that, there's just enough complexity to be interesting. A bit of peat, very very little smoke, the Speyside tang from the large portion of Cardhu. Very little prohibitive about the price, really so I would definitely recommend trying black if you haven't.

Gold Label is almost categorically different. The mouthfeel is so so light and airy, insubstantial, and just a little bit more smoke than in the black. The taste is almost entirely aftertaste and the finish is very long. You really taste it around the edges of your tongue. Etherial. Definitely worthwhile and something new to me.

Plat was also new to me and was like the black on steroids, too much. too intense. Strangely aggressive and upsetting.

Blue, delicious and balanced, and just sweet enough. I'd also never had and if there's a criticism, it's that it's too smooth, and not enough variation or character. It has the gold's remarkable long finish, but whereas you taste the Gold around the edges of your mouth, Blue has a heavy mouthfeel, but the flavoring is much more subtle and you can taste the wood in ways that are harder to detect in the Black, certainly due to the proportion of older whisky in the blend.

Adddendum -- at the VERY end of the taste of the blue there's this weird sourness. This is the tangy slightly bitey finish in the black, which I enjoy stretched out but not when it happens all at once.

Bottom Line: Gold is much more different from Black than I expected, you can probably skip the plat, there's nothing that's really good in it you can't get from Black Label, Blue is a great, easy drinking, versatile dram but for the kind of money I'd shell out on that, I'd rather something with more distinctive character to suit my mood.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 5, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Blue, delicious and balanced, and just sweet enough. I'd also never had and if there's a criticism, it's that it's too smooth, and not enough variation or character. It has the gold's remarkable long finish, but whereas you taste the Gold around the edges of your mouth, Blue has a heavy mouthfeel, but the flavoring is much more subtle and you can taste the wood in ways that are harder to detect in the Black, certainly due to the proportion of older whisky in the blend.

That criticism is exactly how I feel about Blue. It's too smooth and for $200 a bottle I expect some serious character that just isn't there.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Slimchandi posted:

I generally don't like the OGD 80 for some reason. I do typically keep a BiB in the house though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

That criticism is exactly how I feel about Blue. It's too smooth and for $200 a bottle I expect some serious character that just isn't there.

Yeah, I tried it once, thankfully from someone else's bottle. I've got the same complaint exactly, and definitely can't justify spending that kind of money for it when things like Ardbeg are out there for less than half the price.

Lucidity87
May 3, 2014
Currently working my way through a bottle of Glenfarclas 15, must say its one the the sweetest scotches I have tried and it is as pleasant change from my standard bottle of Laphroaig. Also have a bottle of Auchentoshan lying around which makes a quite good godfather (Whisky & Amaretto)

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Tasted Balcones Rumbles, Corsair Ryemageddon, and Arran Malt 14 tonight.

The Rumble was interesting, the nose was probably the best part, very complex sweetness with a full fruity perfume. The flavor was reminiscent of corn heavy whiskeys continued that fruit sweetness. Didn't do much on the finish, the alcohol really came though after the fact. It was fun and I recommend trying it but I will never pick up a bottle.

The Ryemageddon was a decent rye, for a $40 Rye it can definitely stand up with some of the popular bottles that are twice its price point. Nose was very muted but nicely balanced between grainy rye and sweet warm baked goods. The palate was mundane, pretty dominated by the single note rye, but the finish was real nice. My friend said it was reminiscent of nesquik powder that doesn't get absorbed in milk and gets caught on your tongue.

The Arran 14 was phenomenal. Very reminiscent of some of the full bodied Highlands like an Oban or Clynelish. A super mix of a tannic malty sweetness and briny sea. I will be picking up a bottle of this.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
In the last 2 days I have tasted the following:
along with my ranking of the whiskys at each tasting

Blends night at scotch club:
- Monkey Shoulder pure malt blend (#3)
- Sheep Dip (#6)
- Hogshead pure malt blend (#5)
- Compass Box Oak Cross (#2)
- J.W. platinum 18 (#4)
- Black Bull 12 (#1)

Laphroaig tasting at wine store:
- Laphroaig 10 (#2 Tie)
- Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength (#2 Tie)
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask (#5)
- Laphroaig Triple Wood (#6)
- Laphroaig 18 (#3)
- Laphroaig 25 (#1)
- Laphroaig Cairdeas (#4)

The Laphroig 10 surprised me how much I liked it compared to the other offerings. Only the 25 I thought was better but at over $400 its not like I'm going to be going out and purchasing that. According to the Laphroig rep they make their whisky primarily in Maker's Mark casks, and there are only 31 employees at the distillery. Pretty amazing for such a recognized brand.

That being said the only bottle I walked home with was of the Black Bull 12 which was extremely good for the price. It's a 50% malt 50% grain blend where they blend it BEFORE the maturation as opposed to most blends that take place afterwards. Really tasted more like a single malt than a blend.

**edit forgot to mention black bull is also bottled at 50% ABV, not too shabby!

Allantois fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 8, 2014

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Bought this on a whim for $20 at Safeway tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Nice and mellow fruity Single Malt with complexity. Anyone else give this a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJowj18Lq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Speyburn is inoffensive, though slightly boozy. It's probably the best $20 single malt in the states. If you like Speyburn, you will probably like AnCnoc too. I've said it before, Inverhouse malts all share a similar baseline profile to me. Also worth noting that Safeway has started stocking Laphroaig in my area. That was kind of a pleasant surprise.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 10, 2014