Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MILF destroyer posted:

Somebody explain why the industry (besides the guy at spiderweb) stopped making these types of games again?
Don't say button or awesome or lack thereof.

Eh. There's Eschelon, Sacred, Divinity et cetera. One of the bigger reasons for a while is it probably was harder to transfer controls to consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MILF destroyer posted:

Somebody explain why the industry (besides the guy at spiderweb) stopped making these types of games again?
Don't say button or awesome or lack thereof.
(Without sarcasm) Many people dislike reading, and will not do it for fun. Shooters sell to those people better than games with reading that require imaginative interpretation.

(One guess) Outside of a handful of specialty nerd circles people will not read a 7-23 part series of novels where each volume is 500-1400 pages. There is a pretty large overlap between the people that read those kinds of things and the people that like these games. Its a large enough group to make money on, but not as much as shooter/rape/pillage games with no words.

(Another guess) Related directly to that are consoles. Its harder to play these games when the controls are based on pulling triggers.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
The increased focus on 3D, and the decline of Interplay Entertainment was probably also a part of it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wait, what happens to this place when there's a tide? Or slightly bigger waves?

It's very pretty though

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Maybe it's a lake.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If not it could be located in a sheltered inlet and the screenshot was taken at high tide?

Oh, does the world even have a moon and/or tides?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fuckpot posted:

Maybe it's a lake.

It's a lot of waves for a lake.
The post also tells you it's an ocean beach.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Wait, what happens to this place when there's a tide? Or slightly bigger waves?

It's very pretty though

That was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. Maybe this planet has a smaller moon or none at all so tides are less pronounced.

But yes, looks great.

e:

pun pundit posted:

If not it could be located in a sheltered inlet and the screenshot was taken at high tide?

I can't believe it, can't even get a decent sperge in

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Disco Infiva posted:

Wait, what happens to this place when there's a tide?

Tides are rather complicated. There are several places on the Earth called amphidromic points where the main component of the tide is null, leading to a tidal range of a foot or two. Here's a pretty map of them:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't think they will bother, but given their 'raising and lowering the river' bit from the demo, they could actually have dynamic tides tied to the day/night cycle. :shepface:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Haha, my post was made half-jokingly, but even then

this is pretty loving cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Whenever I drink coffee I can only fill my mug up halfway or else the moon will slosh my coffee over the side of the cup.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drifter posted:

Whenever I drink coffee I can only fill my mug up halfway or else the moon will slosh my coffee over the side of the cup.

That's what you get for not living in an amphidromic point. I had to pay a little extra but it was worth it

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

pun pundit posted:

I just checked, and it seems that there is Ondra, god of water and the moon. And moon/water godlikes were shown in one of the updates. I think.

EDIT: fixed

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 30, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Drifter posted:

I heard about goons having fat asses, but I think that's a new record.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pun pundit posted:

I heard about goons having fat asses, but I think that's a new record.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

I just checked, and it seems that there is Ondra, god of water and the moon. And moon/water godlikes were shown in one of the updates. I think.

EDIT: fixed

But we don't know if it's a tiny wimpy moon or a huge throbbing one like the Earth has (Earth best planet).

ropekid please post the exact diameter and atmospheric composition (if any) of the PE moon(s).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ropekid, please troll spergs by their literally being a tide wizard who controls the tides and is responsible for unrealistic behavior.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

ropekid, please troll spergs by their literally being a tide wizard who controls the tides and is responsible for unrealistic behavior.

I wanna be a wizard of the Red Tide.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently the answer is... the creature that built it was stupid:

Brandon Adler posted:

It's a xaurip hut... they aren't the smartest creatures. :grin:

P.S. : Also, the areas shown in the screenshots haven't received the paint-over pass yet, in case you were wondering.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

As far as most people know, there is one moon, Senn Beläfa (or Ondran Beläfa, "Ondra's Beloved", but most people just call it "Beläfa"). It is smaller than Earth's moon but closer to the planet and has a faster orbit. Tides in some coastal areas are more extreme than on Earth. Though uneducated people are unaware of it, there is also a second moon called Cawldha Dev (Glanfathan for "Black Runner"). It has a very fast and irregular orbit. When circumstances are right (wrong), Beläfa and the Cawldha Dev create what the Glanfathans call "Lovers' Tides", which are catastrophically destructive. During the Dyrwoodan revolution, the Glanfathans predicted a Lovers' Tide and helped the colonists use it to their advantage when the Aedyran navy attacked Defiance Bay (then New Dunryd). A huge number of Aedyran ships were destroyed and the ancient adra levee facing the Pearlwood Gulf was broken, creating the still partially-flooded district now known as Ondra's Gift.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I am geeking out about the level of detailed thought that's gone into the creation of this world SO drat HARD. I'm almost as excited for the campaign almanac as I am for the game itself!

(Upon further thought, that hut does look somewhat sturdy and laborious to build for something exactly on the shoreline though. I guess it is high tide - they wouldn't have had time to knock it up before it got swept away otherwise!)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

As far as most people know, there is one moon, Senn Beläfa (or Ondran Beläfa, "Ondra's Beloved", but most people just call it "Beläfa"). It is smaller than Earth's moon but closer to the planet and has a faster orbit. Tides in some coastal areas are more extreme than on Earth. Though uneducated people are unaware of it, there is also a second moon called Cawldha Dev (Glanfathan for "Black Runner"). It has a very fast and irregular orbit. When circumstances are right (wrong), Beläfa and the Cawldha Dev create what the Glanfathans call "Lovers' Tides", which are catastrophically destructive. During the Dyrwoodan revolution, the Glanfathans predicted a Lovers' Tide and helped the colonists use it to their advantage when the Aedyran navy attacked Defiance Bay (then New Dunryd). A huge number of Aedyran ships were destroyed and the ancient adra levee facing the Pearlwood Gulf was broken, creating the still partially-flooded district now known as Ondra's Gift.

Did the Aedyrans make the connection between the Lovers' Tide and their defeat? Or did they just go "poo poo, that was some high tide. Better luck next time."?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

I'm going to pretend that this is a dialogue option for a high-INT PC in a conversation about cosmology.

I'm also going to pretend that the equivalent for a low-INT PC is "M-O-O-N that spells moon!"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Phlegmish posted:

But we don't know if it's a tiny wimpy moon or a huge throbbing one like the Earth has (Earth best planet).

ropekid please post the exact diameter and atmospheric composition (if any) of the PE moon(s).
Say "girth of the moon" - sounds fatter

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Phlegmish posted:

And also the orbital inclinations and semi-major axes, tia

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CommissarMega posted:

Did the Aedyrans make the connection between the Lovers' Tide and their defeat? Or did they just go "poo poo, that was some high tide. Better luck next time."?
Enough Lovers' Tides have happened that they are a known catastrophic event that happens every few hundred years. The Aedyrans recognized what it was after the fact but they didn't know that the Dyrwoodans had forewarning of it until much later.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mordaedil posted:

Looked it up on wikipedia and I still wonder why Python gets so many copycats.

Do they all serve some purpose or could we really get on fine with just one or two?

As usual, there's a xkcd for that.

rope kid posted:

You said before that you didn't make stuff up on the spot and then integrate it in the lore, so I believe you, so you are insane for having thought of that kind of details. Please, do a lore dump on the Wiki or in some novels or something at some point.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Celestial bodies and calendars go hand-in-hand and just seem like sort of basic world-building stuff to me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mordaedil posted:

Looked it up on wikipedia and I still wonder why Python gets so many copycats.

Do they all serve some purpose or could we really get on fine with just one or two?
Are you seriously suggesting that C# is a clone of python?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
No, he's suggesting Boo is a python clone.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

No, he's suggesting Boo is a python clone.
Oh. Well, carry on then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Boo is basically there as far as I can tell because it's quite similar to python and is compatible with Mono so it's pretty much trivial to add in support, and python is nerd candy.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

xthetenth posted:

Boo is basically there as far as I can tell because it's quite similar to python and is compatible with Mono so it's pretty much trivial to add in support, and python is nerd candy.

It's because UnityScript is written in Boo, and the creator of Boo works for Unity.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

One Eye Open posted:

It's because UnityScript is written in Boo, and the creator of Boo works for Unity.

Ahh, interesting. Did he make it for Unity?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

Celestial bodies and calendars go hand-in-hand and just seem like sort of basic world-building stuff to me.

Magic always makes this kind of world building confusing to me. So often a world is in the eye of a giant, on the back of a turtle or a straight up dimensional pocket world of some sort. Did you line up a whole star system with other planets being given names and associated with gods, or did you just stick to the two moons and the sun?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I haven't developed the rest of the star system, just the planet itself, the star, and the two moons. It's easy to give the impression that I've planned all of this stuff out if I only answer the questions to which I have answers but there you go, I just *~ ruined the illusion ~*.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

rope kid posted:

I haven't developed the rest of the star system, just the planet itself, the star, and the two moons. It's easy to give the impression that I've planned all of this stuff out if I only answer the questions to which I have answers but there you go, I just *~ ruined the illusion ~*.

what the gently caress I demand a refund immediately

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

Can I be a star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

xthetenth posted:

Ahh, interesting. Did he make it for Unity?

Not as far as I know. I think he made it before getting hired.

• Locked thread