Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Where should I start with The Meads of Asphodel? I see on Metal-Archives they're compared pretty favorably with Sigh (who I love) so I'd like to check them out, but they've got a bunch of albums and all of them seem to be held equally in high regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is any of Sting's solo work anywhere near as good as any of The Police albums? Or is it all pretty similar to the schmaltzy poo poo he put out throughout the late '90s, early 2000s?

My favorite Sting album is the live double-disc Bring on the Night, which shows off the jazz band to full effect, and features a bunch of more obscure Police songs (great ones too, like "Low Life" and "I Burn For You"), some cool medleys, and most of the Blue Turtles tracks that weren't hits. There are some duffer moments but it's a lot more livelier than any of the studio albums. That said, the first four are decent!

I always thought Copeland put out the best stuff post-Police. His Klark Kent compilation is essentially an album's worth of lost could've-been-Police-songs, and the Rumblefish soundtrack is excellent and rather unique. There was an anthology released recently that covers most of what he's been up to since the Police broke up, it's pretty expansive.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I'm not entirely sure where else to put this so here seems like the best place? My question is specifically about the first three Frank Zappa and The Mothers albums: Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, and We're Only In It For The Money. Where can the original mixes of these albums -- both mono and stereo if possible -- be found on CD, if they can at all? The mix history of these and a lot of Zappa's other albums is kind of maddening! I know the 2012 remaster of Absolutely Free is the original (stereo) mix of the album while the two others are 2012 remasters taken from the remixes Zappa did in 1987 or thereabouts, is that correct?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Beach Boys advice

Just to add a couple things to this fairly excellent post (though definitely put me down as one of the Carl & the Passions defenders; it just had to grow on me as an album a bit)

edit: forgot to add it. Well belatedly, Dennis Wilson's solo album Pacific Ocean Blue is amazing and worth a shot as well. Otherwise, for post 15 Big Ones albums, L.A. is the only other worth mentioning due entirely to Dennis's amazing songs from it. The rest is poo poo.

Did That on Television posted:

I'm not entirely sure where else to put this so here seems like the best place? My question is specifically about the first three Frank Zappa and The Mothers albums: Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, and We're Only In It For The Money. Where can the original mixes of these albums -- both mono and stereo if possible -- be found on CD, if they can at all? The mix history of these and a lot of Zappa's other albums is kind of maddening! I know the 2012 remaster of Absolutely Free is the original (stereo) mix of the album while the two others are 2012 remasters taken from the remixes Zappa did in 1987 or thereabouts, is that correct?

If you're interested in the original stereo mix of Freak Out!, seek out The MOFO Project/Object, a two or four CD set (depending on the configuration you buy) that features the original stereo mix of the album along with a bunch of studio outtakes, tracking sessions, and so on. The mono mix seems to have never been released on CD as far as I'm aware.

Meanwhile, the original mono mix of We're Only in It for the Money is available on the 3xCD set Lumpy Money, which also includes the original mono mix of Lumpy Gravy, tracking sessions from both albums, and, inexplicably, the loving terrible mid-80s mixes of both albums. The stereo mix of We're Only in It for the Money available currently on CD is from a later remix/remaster that Zappa did in the early 90s, which isn't quite identical to the 60s mix but is a hell of a lot closer than the mid-80s garbage.

So basically, there's unfortunately a lot of poo poo you'll have to get if you're truly interested.

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 1, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

I always thought Copeland put out the best stuff post-Police. His Klark Kent compilation is essentially an album's worth of lost could've-been-Police-songs, and the Rumblefish soundtrack is excellent and rather unique. There was an anthology released recently that covers most of what he's been up to since the Police broke up, it's pretty expansive.

Rumble Fish is rad, I was a big fan of Oysterhead, too. Recently he's even been caught hanging out with Snoop.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where start I with Acid Mothers Temple? Someone who knows I love Can and spaced out music and sometimes spaced out noise music said I should really listen to them. Also the couple of times I messed around in last.fm and spotify, they came up when I played Can.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

alnilam posted:

Where start I with Acid Mothers Temple? Someone who knows I love Can and spaced out music and sometimes spaced out noise music said I should really listen to them. Also the couple of times I messed around in last.fm and spotify, they came up when I played Can.

Yeah it's pretty hard to know where to begin with AMT. There are several incarnations, as you probably already know. I've only heard four albums, each from a different incarnation. The Acid Mothers Guru Guru album might be a logical starting place.

edit: Kawabata Makota also has some solo stuff, which is much more spaced-out and psychedelic than any of the AMT stuff, at least that I've heard.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 5, 2014

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Where do I start with Queen? I've only ever listened to the Greatest Hits album and the most popular singles that aren't included on that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Either start at the beginning and go chronologically, or pick up A Night at the Opera and then start from the beginning.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A Night at the Opera is their best and has the most variety. After that either Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Queen gives you something different on every album and best is entirely subjective with them.

It's probably not best to start with The Miracle, Hot Space or Made in Heaven, but just about everything else is a good entry point. Queen II is nearly totally unlike anything else they issued because of its heaviness and mystical lyrics, but they're so good at it it's one of their best. I actually think I prefer it as a whole to everything else, though only a couple of songs on it would compete for my individual favorites. There's nothing really wrong with Hot Space, but one of Queen's biggest calling cards was their instrumental ability and this is sparse as they were experimenting with funk.

You've heard about 3-4 songs off The Game already. A Night at the Opera was my first Queen album and it's one of their most playful (except for Death on Two Legs. especially that one). A Day at the Races is "how many different sounds can Brian May's guitar make?". Sheer Heart Attack has them fully realizing the familiar Queen sound. Jazz has a sense of humor. The Works was a return to form. A Kind of Magic was the last real hurrah and Innuendo was a bit of a sound change, but good considering it was a race against time and has a few legit good songs.

Lunatics key
Mar 17, 2014

Flash Gordon

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Where should I start with solo Julian Cope?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

HateTheInternet posted:

Where should I start with solo Julian Cope?

Peggy Suicide. It's a perfect balance between listenability and acid head weirdness.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Double post :P

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
How about :

Xiu Xiu
The Flaming Lips
Wilco
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Black Flag

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

beergod posted:

How about :

Xiu Xiu
The Flaming Lips
Wilco
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Black Flag

In no particular order:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
My War
Bullhead/Eggnog
Fabulous Muscles/The Air Force

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Declan MacManus posted:

In no particular order:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
My War
Bullhead/Eggnog
Fabulous Muscles/The Air Force

I disagree with a few of these.

With Black Flag, listen to Damaged and The First Four Years in either order. My War is my favorite album by Black Flag but it's not the best starting point.

Flaming Lips listen to The Soft Bulletin first.

Melvins check out Houdini.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Blast Fantasto posted:

I disagree with a few of these.

With Black Flag, listen to Damaged and The First Four Years in either order. My War is my favorite album by Black Flag but it's not the best starting point.

Flaming Lips listen to The Soft Bulletin first.

Melvins check out Houdini.

I agree with this, except I think Transmissions from the Satellite Heart would also be a good starting point for the Lips. Based on the other bands you asked about, you might enjoy their more crazy distorted acid stuff compared to their spacey pretty acid stuff, and it makes the transition into Soft Bulletin that much more unique.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

beergod posted:

How about :

Xiu Xiu
The Flaming Lips
Wilco
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Black Flag

Not that familiar with Melvins or Mudhoney (though my first Melvins album was Gluey Porch Treatments personally), but as for the other groups;

Flaming Lips: While Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are the bog standard suggestions for starting with the Flaming Lips, I actually have to agree with Voodoofly that Transmissions from the Satellite Heart might be a better starting point for you personally, considering that you're asking about groups like Xiu Xiu in the same post. So, yeah, I'd say Transmissions to start with, then if you like that then stick with that era of the band (In a Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit to Death in the Future Head, Clouds Taste Metallic) before going on to Soft Bulletin and elsewhere.

Wilco: Absolutely start with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. From there, go earlier if you want stuff more in a country-rock/alt-country vein (they tend more and more toward that sound the earlier you go), and only go beyond A Ghost Is Born/Kicking Television if you enjoy being bored. (A Ghost Is Born really is a great album, though, and Kicking Television is a great live album).

Black Flag: Damaged. My War is a great album and all, but a pretty terrible starting point.

Xiu Xiu: Probably anything from the three album stretch of Fabulous Muscles, La Forêt, and The Air Force. Fabulous Muscles was my personal first, so I'm more inclined to go with that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheNintenGenius posted:

Wilco: Absolutely start with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. From there, go earlier if you want stuff more in a country-rock/alt-country vein (they tend more and more toward that sound the earlier you go), and only go beyond A Ghost Is Born/Kicking Television if you enjoy being bored. (A Ghost Is Born really is a great album, though, and Kicking Television is a great live album).
Hey, Sky Blue Sky rules too :(

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hey, Sky Blue Sky rules too :(

Admittedly maybe I should give Sky Blue Sky another go, since it's been a long time since I gave it a shot. Anything from Wilco (The Album) onward, though, gently caress that poo poo.

This reminds me, beergod, be sure to give the Mermaid Avenue albums they did with Billy Bragg a go too, since that material is pretty great in its own right.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheNintenGenius posted:

Admittedly maybe I should give Sky Blue Sky another go, since it's been a long time since I gave it a shot. Anything from Wilco (The Album) onward, though, gently caress that poo poo.

This reminds me, beergod, be sure to give the Mermaid Avenue albums they did with Billy Bragg a go too, since that material is pretty great in its own right.
Agreed. (The Album) and The Whole Love were both really boring and forgettable to me, except for Art Of Almost on TWL, that is -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWJwxl-wG4
That's the first track on the album and it's loving awesome and gave me lots of hope for the rest of the album, but then the rest was pretty lifeless. Sky Blue Sky is the last album of theirs I really liked all the way through.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Songs: Ohia?

Or any of that dude's stuff really.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There are a lot of albums by the Mekons. Help me out here.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

beergod posted:

How about :

Xiu Xiu
The Flaming Lips
Wilco
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Black Flag

The Melvins - I'd go with Houdini and (A) Senile Animal. Houdini was probably their biggest album, with videos being showed on Headbangers Ball and 120 Minutes. It came out at the peak of alternative/grunge. (A) Senile Animal has the Melvins teaming up with the two members from Big Business (who they'd go on to do 2 more albums with this line-up). It introduces a "new" sound for the Melvins, it's one of my favorites from them. If you like those, then I'd suggest getting Lysol, Stag, and Bullhead. The Maggot, Bootlicker, and Crybaby trilogy are interesting as well. 3 very different albums all released in 2000.

Mudhoney - I'm only familiar with Superfuzz Bigmuff, Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, and Piece of Cake. Those are 3 really solid albums though, but I think EGBDF would be a great starting point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
For Black Flag, choose Damaged if you want a harder, heavier sound, First Four Years if you want something a bit lighter, and My War if you've heard and liked their later, sludgier stuff.

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
I've been meaning to get into Sun Ra. Any recommendations?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Superimposition posted:

I'm by no means an expert (on either Sun Ra or on how to describe his music, as you will note in my crap descriptions). Here are a couple of ideas:

Space is the Place: The 1972 "Impulse" album, not the soundtrack to the movie. Link to avoid confusion. Free-form and spacey, but with a fairly decent variety of instrumentation and sounds, this is probably what you are expecting Sun Ra to sound like. I'm not sure if "fun" is the right way to describe Sun Ra, but I think of this as a fun album.

Jazz in Silhouette: Every description will tell you that this was the transition album from more traditional jazz to the avant-garde music he would later start making (such as Space is the Place). It's a drat great jazz album, though, and is only "conventional" when compared to his later work. It wasn't one of my favorites at first (since I was initially attracted to his more abstract music), but it grew on me over the years.

The Singles: This was my first album. It's not really a great overview in the sense that it contains nothing but short songs, but it gives a huge overview of all the various sounds and styles of the man and his band. It helped me zero in on other areas/eras to explore, and I still listen to it because its one hell of a crazy ride.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Superimposition posted:

Voodofly made some good suggestions above, but my personal favorite recommendation is Lanquidity. It's weird, but accessible, jazz fusion.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

thegloaming posted:

Voodofly made some good suggestions above, but my personal favorite recommendation is Lanquidity. It's weird, but accessible, jazz fusion.

Actually, I have to say thanks for this one. I'd never heard Lanquidity before, but checked it out from your post and loved every second of it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where do I go next with the Propellerheads, if the only album I know/love is Decksndrumsnrocknroll?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

alnilam posted:

Where do I go next with the Propellerheads, if the only album I know/love is Decksndrumsnrocknroll?

That's all they've got, except for a few eps which I think is mostly remixes anyway

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

screaden posted:

That's all they've got, except for a few eps which I think is mostly remixes anyway

And I imagine sure you're aware, but they were among many very popular artists with that same 'big beat' sound: Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Meat Beat Manifesto, The Crystal Method. So if you're looking for more of that sound in general, those would be the way.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

me your dad posted:

And I imagine sure you're aware, but they were among many very popular artists with that same 'big beat' sound: Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Meat Beat Manifesto, The Crystal Method. So if you're looking for more of that sound in general, those would be the way.

Thanks! Could you recommend what album to start with among all those artists?
I do have Chemical Bros' "Dig your own hole."

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

alnilam posted:

My couple of recommendations from that era:

Crystal Method: Vegas (I'd say stop there as well, and quite frankly I have no idea how well this album has stood the test of time).
Prodigy: Music for the Jilted Generation is my favorite, and I think their best album (and may have inspired my screen name back in the mid 90s when I needed a hotmail account and the album was spinning). Fat of the Land probably has more songs you will recognize like Firestarter and Breathe, and is a fine album as well.
Fatboy Slim: Better Living Through Chemistry is his most well known, but I wasn't ever a big Fatboy Slim fan so someone else might have a better recommendation.

Might not technically be "big beat" but I'd also throw out Leftfield: Leftism from that era as well. I think it has a decent amount in common with Propellerheads in the mix of hip hop, jazz fusion and beats, and I think it held up pretty well.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

alnilam posted:

VoodooFly covered a few so I'll get what he didn't:

Exit Planet Dust was the Chemical Brothers first big breakout album, and pretty good. They also released two really cool mixed albums that may be tougher to find: Live at the Social, Vol 1; and Brothers Gonna Work It Out. Live at the Social was a massively fun party album and I highly recommend seeking it out.

For Meat Beat Manifesto, I can't recommend a particular album in full because I don't feel like any were particularly strong throughout. Check out the tracks Helter Skelter, Radio Babylon, and Asbestos Lead Asbestos.

Edit: I can't vouch for how well this has stood the test of time, of whether you'll dig it, but check out Pop Will Eat Itself. They were tangentially related I guess, but their later material, particularly the linked album, as a more 'full' sound (but contains a lot of vocals which you may or may not like). I was a big fan of them around the same time I was listening to a lot of what you seem interested in.

Also, I've mentioned it too many times in this thread as a suggestion, but check out DJ Shadow - Endtroducing. It's a little more on the instrumental hiphop vibe but still shares some commonality with the big beat stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 1, 2014

Nazareth Weedian
Apr 18, 2014
Where should I start with Kool G Rap? It's been a long time coming, all my favourite rappers are inspired by him, but his discography is dense and long running. I would start with his earliest work and just go chronologically, but my appreciation of 80s and really early 90s styled hip-hop is limited, especially if it's really dated to that era. Not to mention my hard drive is tiny and a 4 gig discog is not something I download lightly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm big on Live and Let Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm big on Live and Let Die.

That's pretty much the best answer, I still think it's his best album.