Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Verman posted:

Same goes for a black bear. Stand your ground and get big. Open your jacket to seem bigger.

This also works well against wild turkeys. The turkey population has been growing quite large up here in NH, It's seemingly impossible to spend some time outdoors without running into a group.

Anyway, less than two weeks before I head out to Lolo, Teton and the Colorado Rockies.
I will hope to have some great trip photos to share. This thread needs more photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where'd you hear the wolves in the up? I used to go into McCormick wilderness a lot and canoe back to an isolated spot and I think that's the only place I've heard one (it sounded like a dog but that would be impossible back there) . Didn't hear anything on isle royales interior which was a bummer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I came across a Copperhead this week on a trail. Almost stepped right on him, the couple I crossed paths with must have walked right over him because he was in a defensive curl and ready to strike.

Also, about 30,000 mosquitoes last night. This is going to be a rough summer in the Southeast.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

-CHA posted:

Anyway, less than two weeks before I head out to Lolo, Teton and the Colorado Rockies.
I will hope to have some great trip photos to share. This thread needs more photos.

Bring snowshoes if you plan on going higher than like 5k feet. And let me know when you're in the Missoula area, I can suggest some trails depending on what you want to do.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mastershakeman posted:

Where'd you hear the wolves in the up? I used to go into McCormick wilderness a lot and canoe back to an isolated spot and I think that's the only place I've heard one (it sounded like a dog but that would be impossible back there) . Didn't hear anything on isle royales interior which was a bummer.

Republic Michigan, we were at lost lake.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

mastershakeman posted:

They're sighted pretty regularly around the keweenaw. In the winter they use the lake to get around, which can be a good way to spot them.

The Isle Royale population is down to nine, so your chances are pretty slim of running into any.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I'm sorry to poo poo post it up in here guys, but I need an outlet!

Anyway, more Tasmanian landscape interspersed with me squatting. I'm also the worst photographer :haw:

Mt. Rowland

"Squat unto me"

The trail started off as an old sealed road I believe.

It didn't take long to get into some foresty scrub though.

I'm amazed by the fact people take time out of their lives to do this poo poo.

But the stair case didn't last long either :(

gently caress this poo poo.

What a view :iamafag:
The path rose up to a platform where another path merged in with the one I was on.

This is the view from that platform.

After all that steep/wet forest trail, it was nice to get some jogging time on the board-walk.

"The viewing platform offers great views of the South"
Ignore the rock hands, I don't know what I was thinking.

Made it to the summit :dance: I was terrified of the height...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
How many people stopped to offer to help you get back to the 1980s? ;)

Also, is that mineral, lichen or guano on those summit rocks?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Verman posted:

Republic Michigan, we were at lost lake.

Neat. That's within ten miles of my grandpa's cabin, I know my uncles saw a wolf chasing a deer a few years ago on our lane but it's good to know they're that active up there.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

jamal posted:

Bring snowshoes if you plan on going higher than like 5k feet. And let me know when you're in the Missoula area, I can suggest some trails depending on what you want to do.

Thanks man :) I'm still not sure what area I'm going to be camping in but I'll post an update or PM once I do.
My wife's friends haven't been very good with this whole communication thing. I will most certainly be open for any recommendations as I will be looking for any reason to be getting away from their screaming children.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Starting to get into hiking more and did a season opener day trip to Red River Gorge. Auxier trail with courthouse rock and the hidden arch. Brought the dogs and now they're ptfo. I'm really out of shape so time to change that.

PLEASE add me to the list. I'm in Kentucky.

Going to courthouse rock

Love these formations.

Brought my vicious attack dog

Very welcome halfway through.

Halfway up to hidden arch

Hello arch

Yes my poodle is my best hiking buddy. On top of hidden arch

Just an awesome day.

Imgur gallery http://imgur.com/a/9LFru

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

I love picture day!

cheese eats mouse, I hiked in Red River Gorge once as a kid (my hillbilly family had a tobacco farm way the gently caress out in the hill country in Wolfe County) and I've wanted to come back and hike it properly for a long time now. Of course, having a small child kind of nixes the whole "12 hour drive" idea. I hope you post more pictures of your hikes so I can experience them vicariously.

I'm a bit sick of all the hiking areas around here (NYC area). I've been hiking Long Island, southern NY, and northern NJ for about three years now, and I'm just craving something different. Different rocks, different plants. I almost convinced myself to drive five hours to the Pine Creek Gorge in PA today, but in the end I settled for ho-hum ankle-twisting AT stuff in High Point, NJ. It's so overdeveloped it makes Bear Mountain seem like wilderness, but it was a nice walk, and my very first state summit!

My first glimpse of the summit penis.

Port Jervis, which up close turns out to be kind of a lovely little town.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Time Cowboy posted:

I'm a bit sick of all the hiking areas around here (NYC area). I've been hiking Long Island, southern NY, and northern NJ for about three years now, and I'm just craving something different. Different rocks, different plants. I almost convinced myself to drive five hours to the Pine Creek Gorge in PA today, but in the end I settled for ho-hum ankle-twisting AT stuff in High Point, NJ. It's so overdeveloped it makes Bear Mountain seem like wilderness, but it was a nice walk, and my very first state summit!

I've been having the same problem as you with seeing the same thing wherever I go. The only way to make things interesting is choosing the type of terrain I want to go on.

If you're looking for something different you're close enough to the Whites to make a weekend out of it.
Sure, they can get pretty brutal at times, but the views are amazing :v:

Standing on Boott Spurr looking at Washington.

Overlooking Boott Spurr and the top of Tuckermans Ravine

There is an AMC hut somewhere out there.

I can't seem to find my Lafayette pictures anywhere. Oh well, will just have to take more this summer.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I think I'll wait on the Whites until I'm in better shape. I'm a fatass, and I haven't been good about going to the gym lately.

In the meantime, I do have plans to hike the Pumpelly Trail up Monadnock this year, possibly in September. I wonder, though, if I could con people into Kickstarting me a trip out West. I haven't hiked anywhere west of Berks County, Pennsylvania since 2009.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Moab and Canyonlands time is here! We finish up preparations tomorrow then head out before dawn Tuesday morning. This is going to be so awesome, I'll be back in two weeks with lots of pics!

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Business of Ferrets posted:

How many people stopped to offer to help you get back to the 1980s? ;)

Also, is that mineral, lichen or guano on those summit rocks?

I do love the reaction of passerby. I'm sure seeing some flamboyantly dressed hairy goon waltz past them gave the old lady and her 2 grand daughters something to talk about at least.

I have no idea what the white stuff is, but its not poop. :iiam:

I have plans for another walk this weekend, Mount Dial, which I think is the one in the back ground that kind of, almost, sort of looks like a sun dial.

Time Cowboy posted:

I love picture day!

Me too! Those Kentucky pics looks drat amazing.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'll be back in two weeks with lots of pics!

:dance:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Time Cowboy posted:

cheese eats mouse, I hiked in Red River Gorge once as a kid (my hillbilly family had a tobacco farm way the gently caress out in the hill country in Wolfe County) and I've wanted to come back and hike it properly for a long time now. Of course, having a small child kind of nixes the whole "12 hour drive" idea. I hope you post more pictures of your hikes so I can experience them vicariously.

I will I will. Next I think I'm going to the natural bridge after I invest in some camping gear and can find a friend to stay overnight with me.

no_shit_columbo posted:

Me too! Those Kentucky pics looks drat amazing.

Kentucky gets a lot of poo poo, but you can drive 1-3 hours and find some amazing landscape. One upside to this state. :)

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 28, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
To those that recommended pasayten wilderness in Washington, I was reading about the bear situation and it seems to have a pretty decent population of black bears and a few browns. Do you guys carry bear spray in those parts? I don't usually carry it in Colorado but there also weren't brown bears. I don't mind pitching in $50 for some bear spray if it's common up there but if not then that's money I don't need to spend.

Also what would be the best way of getting to cathedral lakes? It looks like taking 20 to methow to NF 5160 to 100?

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 29, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's been a tiny handful of confirmed grizzly sightings in the North Cascades in the last 60 years. I wouldn't worry about them too awful much.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

To those that recommended pasayten wilderness in Washington, I was reading about the bear situation and it seems to have a pretty decent population of black bears and a few browns. Do you guys carry bear spray in those parts? I don't usually carry it in Colorado but there also weren't brown bears. I don't mind pitching in $50 for some bear spray if it's common up there but if not then that's money I don't need to spend.

Also what would be the best way of getting to cathedral lakes? It looks like taking 20 to methow to NF 5160 to 100?

I don't carry bear spray. The Pacific Northwest Trail goes through the area too, most hikers carry bear spray through Montana and Idaho but mail it home when they get to Washington. The black bears in the North Cascades will most likely keep their distance, and seeing a brown bear would be newsworthy.

As for getting to Cathedral Lakes I went through Horseshoe Basin starting at the Iron Gate trailhead. The fastest way to that trailhead is I-90 to 97, then though Loomis to the forest service roads (detailed directions here), which looks mostly the same as your route except not turning off at 20. That's probably a 6-7 hour drive from the airport and I know you're on a tight schedule. I've only ever hiked into the area from the eastern side, I don't know what access from the south is like or the condition of 5160 or 100 (we have some awful forest roads here).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

Moab and Canyonlands time is here! We finish up preparations tomorrow then head out before dawn Tuesday morning. This is going to be so awesome, I'll be back in two weeks with lots of pics!
Have fun, it's going to be 80 degrees in Moab and 90 further south this weekend. Welcome to the desert!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Would there be any reason to choose Pasayten Wilderness versus North Cascades NP and vice versa? I know they're basically neighbors but I'm just trying to understand the area. NC seems to be a little more lush and tucked into more snowcapped mountains whereas Pasayten is less "peaky" and possibly a little drier? Not to mention NC is a national park with very specific/rigid backcountry permits versus national forest trailhead style permits which are a little more open ended.

I don't have a preference but just curious if anyone could weigh in on what to expect.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone been hiking in the Lost Coast area of Humboldt County? I really love the California coast and I'm hoping to do the 3-day hike through this summer with friends from the JMT. I know that you need tide tables to pass some areas, and there's a a lot of hiking on sand, anything else I ought to know?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyone been hiking in the Lost Coast area of Humboldt County? I really love the California coast and I'm hoping to do the 3-day hike through this summer with friends from the JMT. I know that you need tide tables to pass some areas, and there's a a lot of hiking on sand, anything else I ought to know?

That sounds like an awesome trail, I'd also like to know more.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

Would there be any reason to choose Pasayten Wilderness versus North Cascades NP and vice versa?

You mentioned solitude in your first post and you'll definitely be more alone in the Pasayten. You also mentioned having new people along, I don't know if that means just new to your group or new to hiking. A lot of the loops through the Pasayten are relatively flat and you could still make great time if someone was dragging. There are lots of opportunities for side trips up smaller mountains with amazing views of the area and of the Cascades, and another popular side trip is going up to the clearcut strip along the Canadian border.

Verman posted:

NC seems to be a little more lush and tucked into more snowcapped mountains whereas Pasayten is less "peaky" and possibly a little drier?

This is pretty much right. I haven't backpacked in NC NP, just day hikes. You'd have to go to the guidebooks or website for the different routes, I know some people who did a really long trip that went in and out of NC NP but I don't know much about it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

You mentioned solitude in your first post and you'll definitely be more alone in the Pasayten. You also mentioned having new people along, I don't know if that means just new to your group or new to hiking. A lot of the loops through the Pasayten are relatively flat and you could still make great time if someone was dragging. There are lots of opportunities for side trips up smaller mountains with amazing views of the area and of the Cascades, and another popular side trip is going up to the clearcut strip along the Canadian border.

This is pretty much right. I haven't backpacked in NC NP, just day hikes. You'd have to go to the guidebooks or website for the different routes, I know some people who did a really long trip that went in and out of NC NP but I don't know much about it.

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I've got two more books headed my way so I'll look through them for some ideas. I think hitting the border would be a cool side trip if not just to be able to say "I hiked to Canada". After climbing the continental divide last year, everyone really enjoyed the class 3 scramble. Hiking is fun and all but sometimes hitting a non technical peak can really put the icing on top. The only problem is that a lot of the books focus on north cascades specifically or have limited coverage in pasayten. So hopefully between the few books I picked up we should have a good trip planned.

Luckily everyone is in good shape so I'm not too worried. The altitude of the Rockies is always tough for the first two or three days so I'm looking forward to being in elevations under 8-12k feet. I feel like we'll be able to hike a little further much easier.

We should have a date secured this week so I can finally start to really plan this thing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone have some favorite backpacking recipes they would like to share? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever. Looking for some ideas and trying to keep it as light as possible...

Thanks!

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Levitate posted:

Anyone have some favorite backpacking recipes they would like to share? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever. Looking for some ideas and trying to keep it as light as possible...

Thanks!

Instant Mash and Dehydrated Peas were pretty awesome... But probably not what you're after.
Similarly, rolled oats and protein powder is something you should never do. ever.

In summary, don't read this post. :(

I'm very interested in the recipes of any GWS hikers out there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Actually something like instant mashed potatoes with peas and gravy and chunks of sausage or something is exactly what I'm looking for. I mean backpacking dinners are pretty much carbs/starch + some dried vegetables + protein and spices, but if anyone has come up with some tasty ways to combine those I'd be all ears.

Especially lunches though, I can't really think beyond stuff like cheese, salami, and crackers/bread

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm going to be driving from Salt Lake to Vegas next week which will take me through St. George.

I'm seriously considering stopping in the area and car camping in Capital Reef. I've already done Zion and Bryce but this would be my first visit to Capital Reef NP.

Any recommendations on things someone with 2 days and new to the park absolutely has to do?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Levitate posted:

Actually something like instant mashed potatoes with peas and gravy and chunks of sausage or something is exactly what I'm looking for. I mean backpacking dinners are pretty much carbs/starch + some dried vegetables + protein and spices, but if anyone has come up with some tasty ways to combine those I'd be all ears.

Especially lunches though, I can't really think beyond stuff like cheese, salami, and crackers/bread

I've started going more simplified. Backpacking food gets old and a lot of it tastes like poo poo not to mention the cost. Have you ever eaten a dried meal that won't rehydrate ... its terrible.

We have started to bring a lot of hard cheeses, tortillas, peanut butter, dried fruit, instant eggs, instant stuffing mix, instant potatoes, jerky, pita bread (anything flat that doesn't really crush works well). Get some pasta and Sun dried tomatoes with some dried basil. Rice packets are also really easy on the trail and run about a dollar. Never forget good ole fashion dried beans and rice. We generally eat a breakfast burrito, snack all day, then eat a good dinner. Some jerky bits substitute well for sausage. Pop tarts make a great breakfast/snack. Dried vegetables are easy to find.

Soup mixes also work very well. Just add water. If you want to get more labor intensive you can cook meals and start dehydrating them yourself at home.

Granola and powdered milk in the morning is another good breakfast opportunity. Quesadillas are super easy and no clean up for lunch.

Don't forget hot sauce packets/salt/pepper. Invaluable.

Sorry if it's crazy scatter brained. Posted from phone abd I'm not redoing it

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you can find died falafel mix, that's good

Also definitely practice cooking the mysterious powdered foods before making them on the trail.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005
My standard backpacking breakfast is oatmeal (quick oats) with some extra trail mix type stuff: M&Ms, cashews, or craisins - anything to give it some extra flavor. Also a packet of instant coffee because caffeine withdrawal sucks.

For lunch I do something simple, usually a granola bar and trail mix (same as what I add to breakfast) and either peanut butter & jelly or hummus in a pita.

I try make up any calorie deficit at dinner with a bigger meal. When using a jetboil, I like macaroni & cheese with a tuna packet or dehydrated tacos with instant mashed potatoes.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I went on a trip last year with some friends, and another acquaintance did a pretty nice spread of couscous with dehydrated vegetables and tinned chicken. The chicken is obviously a luxury item, but couscous doesn't weigh much and you only have to soak it. I think she found some dehydrated carrots at the grocery store. I can't find them at my grocery store, (she lives in Utah) but I imagine you might be able to find it at a health food store.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For your first day out on the trail, a cucumber is a delicious and very packable meal for lunch. Get those fresh veggies while you can!

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
I'm looking for a good small hatchet or sturdy cutting tool just to get through medium thick brush and to help prepare firewood, as well as be as backpacking friendly as possible, any suggestions?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A Fiskars hatchet should do.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Save me jeebus posted:

I went on a trip last year with some friends, and another acquaintance did a pretty nice spread of couscous with dehydrated vegetables and tinned chicken.

Going to second the couscous. It's very easy to change up with spice mixes. A couple of small spice baggies take up very little room and weight and are very easy to make.

A personal favorite is garlic and onion with a pinch of lime salt. Plus whatever dried vegetables I happen to have.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Save me jeebus posted:

I went on a trip last year with some friends, and another acquaintance did a pretty nice spread of couscous with dehydrated vegetables and tinned chicken. The chicken is obviously a luxury item, but couscous doesn't weigh much and you only have to soak it. I think she found some dehydrated carrots at the grocery store. I can't find them at my grocery store, (she lives in Utah) but I imagine you might be able to find it at a health food store.

You can also buy dehydrated veggies online. Dehydrated chicken isn't too bad to make or buy either if you make sure to prep it right...I kinda like the chewiness

Thanks all, this is right in line with what I was thinking. Coucous is a pretty good idea as a base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kaal posted:

For your first day out on the trail, a cucumber is a delicious and very packable meal for lunch. Get those fresh veggies while you can!

Unfortunately, the five calories you get by eating a cucumber won't keep you going very long.