Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Still Fluxing posted:

Let me preface this with saying I've never watched Seth Meyer's Late Night.

What's Seth Meyer's Late Night"hook"? Letterman revolutionized the Late Night format with his weird pre-taped bits and hijinks in the studio, Conan sort of picked up on that, without the cynicism, Jimmy Fallon had all the musical little bits he does, Ferguson is just charmingly bonkers. Does Meyer really just do the Leno thing and sits at his desk interviewing people?

His hook is he's one of Lorne Michaels' people, so NBC gave him the job because that's what they tend to do.

I haven't really watched his Late Night either, but there wasn't that much to him coming in. He never developed an identity on SNL beyond "competent Weekend Update anchor." Either he'll figure that out in the coming months or his show will crash and burn. Or NBC will carry his show as dead weight for lack of finding an audience for anything on their network besides The Voice and Football. His ratings look like they've been solid so far, though.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gonna shoot for Craig's last show taping.

I got Craig's last show in the old studio and Craig's first show in the new studio (I'm in the sped-up montage from old digs to new digs ... well at least my male pattern balding head is) :)

I think I will be attending many CraigyFerg shows at CBS Television City in Hollywood over this Summer.

The best saving grace is Chelsea Handler is a non-starter for Craig's seat. Thank God.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Megazver posted:

You know what would Craig be great at? A podcast. When he wanted to have a more serious conversation with someone, the format was clearly preventing him from doing that but with a podcast, he could have the Stephen Fry episode every single time. Hell, even Conan got himself a channel for long serious conversations with people you couldn't do that with on his show.

Ferguson would be fantastic at it, but I'd be shocked to see it happen. I think the best chance is getting him on Aisha Tyler's podcast, and letting her convince him of the format. So make that happen.

While this isn't shocking I'm still sad to see him go. I've been doing standup recently and one of the deep, deep, fantasies I've had about a future career was doing his show, and telling him how much his autobiography motivated me through my drinking problems. December 2014 is a tight fit to fulfill that.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Gonz posted:

Seth Meyers is pretty goddamn terrible.

The term "goddamn terrible" is insulted that you used it and Seth Meyers in the same sentence.

But seriously, he's just downright awful. I'm guessing now that Lorne Michaels has his feet in both Tonight and Late Night, any future hosts we see will continue to come from SNL.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth Meyers doesn't have a hook yet, but of course he's only been at it a few weeks now. The thing that's really noticeable is that he's already one of the best interviewers in the format. Which strangely enough is usually a weak spot in most talk show hosts. His comedy bits are very hit and miss at this point, the more he veers towards older Conan stuff the better they are. He doesn't really have a strong cast of supporting actors in the skits at this point and that hurts most of the character based ones. His monologue still needs a lot of work, but there's already a pretty good improvement there and he's a lot less stilted and has found a little bit of flow where earlier it just came off as Weekend Update done standing up. I do like that he seems to go a little outside of the norm for a few guests like authors, sports guys, and reporters and has fewer musical acts.

Let's not forget that Conan was largely terrible for the first couple of years he was on the air. Jimmy Fallon was bad for a couple weeks but got the hang of it faster than probably anyone ever will again. I don't think it's really fair to judge Seth for probably another six months and even then only barely. He's definitely not going to pick it up as fast as Jimmy and that's not so much a knock on him at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Ferguson would be fantastic at it, but I'd be shocked to see it happen. I think the best chance is getting him on Aisha Tyler's podcast, and letting her convince him of the format. So make that happen.

While this isn't shocking I'm still sad to see him go. I've been doing standup recently and one of the deep, deep, fantasies I've had about a future career was doing his show, and telling him how much his autobiography motivated me through my drinking problems. December 2014 is a tight fit to fulfill that.

Well, he's also friends with Chris Hardwick.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Megazver posted:

Well, he's also friends with Chris Hardwick.

Oh I'm aware but who's cooler? Hardwick and his co hosts or Aisha Tyler? Hardwick has absolutely done an incredible job with Nerdist, but I've never listed to him, and thought he had any persuasive insight.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Oh I'm aware but who's cooler? Hardwick and his co hosts or Aisha Tyler? Hardwick has absolutely done an incredible job with Nerdist, but I've never listed to him, and thought he had any persuasive insight.

Aisha might be cooler but her's is a podcast kingdom, not a sprawling podcast empire like Hardwick's. And Craig and Chris seem to be a lot closer than Craig and Aisha.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Does Kimmel have a hook? I know he has his bits, but I don't know anything I'd describe as "Kimmelesque".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Does Kimmel have a hook? I know he has his bits, but I don't know anything I'd describe as "Kimmelesque".

With Leno gone he's the rear end in a top hat host.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
It's so obvious who Seth Meyers should be replaced with.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

olin posted:

It's so obvious who Seth Meyers should be replaced with.

Normally I'd say "Why not replace Craig?" but no one can. Also CBB has a multi-year deal with IFC at this point so it's not happening regardless.

I'd suggest Paul F Thompkins. Keep the show on the west coast and use his stature.

Also Seth owns and haters can vacate.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Kimmel gets by on a lot of viral-friendly segments and the occasional crazy gimmick show. The Matt Damon hijacking the show thing was brilliant but obviously it's not easy to recapture that level of magic consistently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Seth Meyers doesn't have a hook yet, but of course he's only been at it a few weeks now. The thing that's really noticeable is that he's already one of the best interviewers in the format. Which strangely enough is usually a weak spot in most talk show hosts.

But is he in the same league of interviewers as Craig. Who is by far the most entertaining interviewer to watch even if they manage to hit zero of the intended publicity points.

I'd love if Craig ended up in something that resembled Speakeasy. Just conversations and stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 29, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MikeJF posted:

But is he in the same league of interviewers as Craig. Who is by far the most entertaining interviewer to watch even if they manage to hit zero of the intended publicity points.

Well taste is obviously a big part of it. I personally don't care for Craig's comedy or his interviews. I agree he's very unique and good at what he does, but I don't like what he does.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

hcreight posted:

His hook is he's one of Lorne Michaels' people, so NBC gave him the job because that's what they tend to do.

I haven't really watched his Late Night either, but there wasn't that much to him coming in. He never developed an identity on SNL beyond "competent Weekend Update anchor." Either he'll figure that out in the coming months or his show will crash and burn. Or NBC will carry his show as dead weight for lack of finding an audience for anything on their network besides The Voice and Football. His ratings look like they've been solid so far, though.

Man, that's a shame. The Tonight Show might be the big prize for comedians, but Late Night used to be where they flexed their creative muscles. Too bad it's been turned into The Tonight Show Lite.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'd suggest Paul F Thompkins. Keep the show on the west coast and use his stature.

I've been saying for years someone needs to give Paul F. Tompkins a late night show. I would watch the everloving poo poo outta that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

I've been saying for years someone needs to give Paul F. Tompkins a late night show. I would watch the everloving poo poo outta that.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB1BCF71220A59769

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was trying to think of other celebrities named Craig that CBS could find to continue the hosting trend, but I don't think there are any.

Once Ferguson leaves, I'll probably check out of Late Night shows for a while. Conan doesn't really do anything for me anymore. Fallon does some great bits but I'd rather just catch them on Youtube than watch his whole show. The intimacy of Craig's show was what pulled me in and nobody else really does that. We'll see what Colbert and the new Late Late Show host have up their sleeve, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Late Late Show with Yaphet Kotto

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Whoa, I had somehow never heard of this. Pretty sure I know how I will be getting through my work week now.

This really just confirms that he would kill in a true late night format, with the full monty: monologue, skits, etc.
It's really infuriating...this has been on the web since 2012 apparently, and NBC gives the world Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and Fred Armisen. Ugh.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It's really infuriating...this has been on the web since 2012 apparently, and NBC gives the world Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and Fred Armisen. Ugh.

Yeah, heaven forbid NBC goes with a known quantity instead of handing over one of their most prestigious shows to a guy who does free radio on the internet.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, heaven forbid NBC goes with a known quantity instead of handing over one of their most prestigious shows to a guy who does free radio on the internet.

All that you're saying here is that you have no awareness of stuff like Mr. Show or stand-up comedy in general.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

All that you're saying here is that you have no awareness of stuff like Mr. Show or stand-up comedy in general.

All I'm saying is that Paul Thomkins is, at best, a marginal talent with zero name recognition outside the internet.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Irish Joe posted:

All I'm saying is that Paul Thomkins is, at best, a marginal talent with zero name recognition outside the internet.

Yeah, not a household name like Conan O'Brien, Craig Ferguson, Pete Holmes, etc. were when they got their gigs.
Maybe "Win Ben Stein's Money" was the "name recognition" that got Jimmy Kimmel his show?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yeah, not a household name like Conan O'Brien, Craig Ferguson, Pete Holmes, etc. were when they got their gigs.
Maybe "Win Ben Stein's Money" was the "name recognition" that got Jimmy Kimmel his show?

I'll give you Conan, but Ferguson was on The Drew Carey Show for years and Kimmel had The Man Show in addition to Win Ben Stein's Money. No clue who Pete Holmes is or why he's part of this discussion.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Irish Joe posted:

I'll give you Conan, but Ferguson was on The Drew Carey Show for years and Kimmel had The Man Show in addition to Win Ben Stein's Money. No clue who Pete Holmes is or why he's part of this discussion.

Conan had worked on both SNL and The Simpsons prior to getting Late Night. It's true he did not have much experience as a performer, but he had something more important: Lorne Michael's support.

(Pete Holmes is the guy who's coming on after Conan on TBS.)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Tompkins has been around for ages as a standup and sketch performer.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

I was trying to think of other celebrities named Craig that CBS could find to continue the hosting trend, but I don't think there are any.

Once Ferguson leaves, I'll probably check out of Late Night shows for a while. Conan doesn't really do anything for me anymore. Fallon does some great bits but I'd rather just catch them on Youtube than watch his whole show. The intimacy of Craig's show was what pulled me in and nobody else really does that. We'll see what Colbert and the new Late Late Show host have up their sleeve, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The Late Late Show with Craig Robinson. Or, alternately, The Late Late Show with Your Old College Roommate, Craig. (that douche)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I like the Tompkins idea. 12:30 gives you the luxury of taking a chance on a risky selection. Almost all of the known quantities are relatively lame and safe. Now that I think about it, virtually all of the candidates suggested for The Late Show wouldn't take TLLS, so taking a flyer on a talented but relatively unknown entity seems like a good move to me.

Something else that occurred to me is that TLLS doesn't currently look like a good path to 11:30. Obviously things can change, but Conan, Kimmel, Colbert, Stewart, and Fallon are all pretty young. The only one I can see quitting within ten years is Stewart. So whoever takes TLLS would likely have to see it as its own thing and not a stepping stone to the "big time".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The could always give it to the guy who was runner-up to Ferguson in 2004.

The Late Late Show with Michael Ian Black.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

wa27 posted:

Once Ferguson leaves, I'll probably check out of Late Night shows for a while.

Same here -- Craig is really the only person who does anything interesting with the genre. The only talk shows to ever have interview segments worth watching are Colbert's and his, because they're not afraid of embarrassing the guests. Oddly enough this usually makes the guests seem more interesting because we get to see conversations between people rather than bullet points. Even if he's leaning on old routines by this point, they're still funny because he has no reverence for even his own bits and will willingly veer off and destroy them, which is why is makes perfect sense for him to leave and not give a poo poo.

I watch Conan's intro for the skits but probably won't bother once Craig is gone. Even though failure is Conan's hook it really doesn't seem like he cares anymore, not that anyone could blame him. Plus his joking creepy vibe with women guests has turned into actual uncomfortable creepiness as he's gotten older. His long form web interviews are great, though, and it's nice to see his spark of passion back in those. Fallon is an insufferably bad, snickering, missed delivery embarrassment. People say he's gotten better but I think they're just used to mediocrity. Plus he's got the best booking and band, so if he has anything to do with that behind the scenes it's his one talent. I hated Leno, but at least he was competent at what he did in a perfunctory sense and didn't seem like a perpetual novice, which is more than can be said for Fallon, Myers, and Armisten or whomever Lorne Michaels' next SNL alum is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CaptainYesterday posted:

The could always give it to the guy who was runner-up to Ferguson in 2004.

The Late Late Show with Michael Ian Black.

This is really the only option that would make me feel better about the loss of Craig.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Breakfast All Day posted:

Same here -- Craig is really the only person who does anything interesting with the genre.

I was a Dave guy for decades, but, to be honest, he's been phoning it in for years. When's the last time he did anything really interesting (besides Stephanie Burkett :rimshot:)?

Craig will readily abandon his bits (like the puppets) when he feels they've run their course. I'm definitely going to miss his show more than Dave's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Putting in my prediction now for the very last shot of the very last show of TLLS being a picture of Paul McCartney.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
If you've never seen his no audience episode with Stephen Fry, well poo poo. You seriously don't know how great Craig Fergusion is and what a great loss him leaving in December is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9teqCuLL-4

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So after his appearance on Conan tonight Dave Attell can gently caress off forever. I can't believe I liked that guy in the 90s.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Hah. The daughter of a girl I went to high school with apparently got Photobombed on The Tonight Show tonight. That's fun.

What did Attel do? I'm sans cable, so my Conan is sporadic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

Hah. The daughter of a girl I went to high school with apparently got Photobombed on The Tonight Show tonight. That's fun.

What did Attel do? I'm sans cable, so my Conan is sporadic.

I have trouble believing that anyone aware of Attell's act can be shocked by him doing a talk show.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know why CC decided to set up a region wall for Colbert and Stewart two weeks or so ago for those of us outside NA?

Kinda bummed I missed out on the Bundy and Sterling coverage. :smith: