Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Mercurius posted:

It's posts like these that vindicate my decision to change our imaging process to a completely modular task sequences in Casper. All we need to do with new OS releases is make a base fresh install with any available updates installed, throw it in Casper and replace the old OS package in our main imaging config.

What tools are you using to make a base image? I loved instaDMG for previous releases but I didn't think 10.9 support was very good. We also have Casper but could probably utilize it more, at least for imaging. Right now it's a 10.9.2 dirty image captured from before the 2014-002 update. I have a policy in place that targets all 10.9 OS computers to run software update as soon as recon executes. Modular task sequence sounds awesome and I strive to make it as modular as possible, but with 10.9 I could use some advice on how to create the base admin account that Casper uses for the management framework. Right now we have a local administrator account for this purpose. Do you just create the admin account for JAMF framework via script, after the initial imaging sequence? I read jamfnation a bit, but I'm always happy to learn more.

Ninja Rope posted:

Is it possible to use ARD or some other tool like Windows Remote Desktop in the sense that the local session will always be locked when a remote session is in use, and on logout of the remote session the local session stays locked? I understand the ARD curtain feature seems to do most of that but it's not automatic, leaves the screen on, and doesn't seem 100% reliable. Can I just attach to a second desktop, second user, etc? The only time anyone should be logging in locally is if something goes wrong.

Perhaps the built-in VNC capability of OSX could suffice? If you are on the same network, you could do this:
1) Setup the Sharing preferences for the target computer, make sure screen sharing, remote management and other appropriate permissions are granted to the desired account
2) use "Connect to Server" and enter the computer name like this: vnc://administrator@192.168.1.5 (substitute username credentials and ip address/hostname for actual values)

e: Well, with VNC and admin remote access, you can choose to inherit the user's currently logged-in session or start a new instance as the admin account. Depending on what you want this may or may not be the appropriate tool. I believe if you set the permissions correctly your account can remotely access the user's computer and create a new screen sharing instance (or even see their screen), without notifying the locally logged-in user.

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
My system crashed after waking up and now I feel like my trackpad is slower than before :ohdear:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Malcolm posted:

What tools are you using to make a base image? I loved instaDMG for previous releases but I didn't think 10.9 support was very good. We also have Casper but could probably utilize it more, at least for imaging. Right now it's a 10.9.2 dirty image captured from before the 2014-002 update. I have a policy in place that targets all 10.9 OS computers to run software update as soon as recon executes. Modular task sequence sounds awesome and I strive to make it as modular as possible, but with 10.9 I could use some advice on how to create the base admin account that Casper uses for the management framework. Right now we have a local administrator account for this purpose. Do you just create the admin account for JAMF framework via script, after the initial imaging sequence? I read jamfnation a bit, but I'm always happy to learn more.
I've spent so much time over the last 2 years developing our environment that I can probably talk for pages about this sort of stuff but as you noted earlier we don't have a thread for Mac Enterprise stuff and this isn't really the place for it. Have you got PMs?

Quick answers to your questions that hopefully won't derail too much:
  • I use Casper Composer/Admin and OS X VMs in VMware Fusion for 95% of the development I do. I still like to test final changes on physical hardware to make sure it's doing what it does in the VMs but just about everything can be done in a virtual environment these days
  • I generally try and keep the 'base' image to the same stuff that comes on a new Mac out of the box (sans iWork/iLife) so that we only need to use it for reimaging and can just thin image any new Macs and get the same environment
  • The base management account for Casper is defined as part of a Casper Imaging configuration on the second tab. Any additional admin accounts get created through Casper policies although everything we have is bound to AD so I normally just use my network account for admin work
For creating a new base image I start by grabbing the latest OS X installer from the App Store and then either turn it into a bootable USB stick (if I'm building the base image on physical hardware) or into a bootable DMG image (using the script VMware wrote for Fusion) if I'm using a VM as the base. Install normally (which shouldn't put iWork or iLife on there), create whatever user account you want to start with (set the correct timezone/location settings and don't register anything or use any Apple IDs) and install any available updates from software update.

Once the image is up to date, reboot into Single User Mode and use the steps on this site to wipe off the user account you created and remove any references to the hardware you're using (the rm -rf /Library/Preferences/* command is super important for this). Once that's done either use Target Disk Mode (if developing on physical hardware) or another virtual hard drive with an already set up OS on it (if developing in VMware Fusion) to run Casper Composer and create an OS image from the mounted drive.

Once that's all finished, import the DMG into Casper Admin, set the priority to 1 and add it to your imaging config. If you're imaging with Casper Imaging through NetBoot it should block copy the contents of the disk image onto the target system and effectively give you the same starting point as a brand new out of the box Mac that you can then layer the rest of your applications and default settings in using packages.

I've mentioned this before but if anyone else wants to bounce ideas off me about Mac Enterprise stuff, feel free to PM me here on SA or shoot me an email at lljkmercurius at gmail dot com.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

My system crashed after waking up and now I feel like my trackpad is slower than before :ohdear:

Before we reveal the secret to getting your trackpad back to normal speed, you must reveal the secret of your large avatar and how you obtained it.

Quid pro quo.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Last Chance posted:

You came to this thread asking for help with a browser and since you were so specific in mentioning this particular browser, I thought I'd just throw my hat into the ring and try to figure out why you singled it out. The two finger swipe was clearly a Mac OS-thing and didn't have anything to do with a browser.
Sorry about that, I figured posting in the Mac OS X thread implied that I was asking about a Mac OS X issue; after all, if I thought my issue was strictly Chrome-related I could've posted in the Chrome thread. Or the Firefox thread, if I used Firefox. I've tried to duplicate my issue in several other programs like Word, Sublime, and Photoshop, but so far web browsers are the only ones that actually go "back" when I do the two-finger swipe. I'll keep researching this, though, and get back to you when I know more. Thanks for your help.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Eh I'm being a shitheel, don't worry about it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like the two finger swipe gesture so much that I won't use the Chrome because it doesn't have the fancy animations like Safari and Firefox.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I like the two finger swipe gesture so much that I won't use the Chrome because it doesn't have the fancy animations like Safari and Firefox.

I find that Chrome's version of the two finger swipe is also much more accident-prone as jackpot mentioned.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Eight Is Legend posted:

FWIW, the interface of CrashPlan is supposed to be updated soon - I wrote them about it some months ago because I felt the app design didn't really live up to their website.

They've literally been saying that for years. Or did they actually give you an ETA?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

They've literally been saying that for years. Or did they actually give you an ETA?

updated ui != native app

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Some of your System Preferences might've gotten reset to default for whatever reason. Go into it and adjust your mouse settings, see if that helps any. Laptops can do some weird poo poo sometimes, I had a MBP--god drat, almost a decade ago--that spontaneously set its brightness to 0 on startup. It only ever happened once.

e: Could also be a resolution thing, see if that changed.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 30, 2014

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Mercurius posted:

Imaging/Casper stuff

I use AutoDMG to skip the whole "make an image, install updates" step. It's pretty awesome and it's free.

I really like DeployStudio's workflow-style setup, so if I'm wiping/reimaging I lay down the AutoDMG-generated image, install whatever other packages I want to start with, and then leave a QuickAdd at the end to be installed on first boot. If I'm thin-imaging a brand-new machine, I'll just use Casper Imaging (usually through Thunderbolt TDM) to add the packages I want.

In both cases I script almost everything beyond the initial setup. I found a package (probably on jamfnation) that creates an admin user account, and I used Composer to make empty packages with postinstall scripts to set time zone/network time server, connect to WiFi, grab network time, and a couple of other tasks. I also ran into some trouble with Casper Imaging binding to OD at first boot, so I made a package to do that as well and took the directory bind out of the imaging config. One of my clients is still on 9.24 on their JSS, and that has had some issues with enrollment through target mode imaging, so I throw a QuickAdd in there with priority 18 or 19 so that it's as close to the end as possible (while leaving some room for stuff that has to be last).

I agree that we need an enterprise thread. I'm sure there's a ton of information inside all of our heads that isn't being shared because there's no good place for it. If for no other reason than we need a place to bitch about how needlessly complicated it is to set up DEP if you're not already a VPP company.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Good stuff about imaging, appreciate the info. I've used AutoDMG as well, it is pretty awesome but again you get an out-of-the-box Mac experience, and I have some customization that I'd prefer to do. The real answer is to do all customization through scripting and Casper packages, I know. We have some pretty granular changes that need to be done in our environment (printing/graphics/in-house apps/Adobe CS) but ultimately there's no reason it can't all be handled without booting the OS first. A Mac Enterprise thread might be good, but I don't foresee it being too popular. I'm 90% Windows sysadmin and that's where my work hours go, although I do love Macs and have used them for decades. I'll mess around streamlining the imaging process and PM as needed for advice, thanks again.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Anton Chigurh posted:

Before we reveal the secret to getting your trackpad back to normal speed, you must reveal the secret of your large avatar and how you obtained it.

Quid pro quo.

I PMed Ozma and she uploaded it for me! Then I used the img tags instead of the norm.

The White Dragon posted:

Some of your System Preferences might've gotten reset to default for whatever reason. Go into it and adjust your mouse settings, see if that helps any. Laptops can do some weird poo poo sometimes, I had a MBP--god drat, almost a decade ago--that spontaneously set its brightness to 0 on startup. It only ever happened once.

e: Could also be a resolution thing, see if that changed.

Also that's what happened!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

wolffenstein posted:

updated ui != native app

If they're putting significant effort into updating the UI of the Java monstrosity that is v3.6 rather than putting that effort into v4.0, I'm even more disappointed.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Is there a way to disable the menu bar popping up when I mouse to the top of the screen in a full-screen application? This is in Mavericks.

I have googled for a bit on a solution but I'm not finding any.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mem posted:

Is there a way to disable the menu bar popping up when I mouse to the top of the screen in a full-screen application? This is in Mavericks.

I have googled for a bit on a solution but I'm not finding any.

No.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Suddenly, my Twitter for Mac app has decided I have too many copies logged in (2...I have two macs) and it forces me on a delay. Has anyone else had an issue like this lately? I changed my password just to be sure but I'm still getting the error.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Haha, poo poo - nope, they didn't give me an ETA.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jackpot posted:

Sorry about that, I figured posting in the Mac OS X thread implied that I was asking about a Mac OS X issue; after all, if I thought my issue was strictly Chrome-related I could've posted in the Chrome thread. Or the Firefox thread, if I used Firefox. I've tried to duplicate my issue in several other programs like Word, Sublime, and Photoshop, but so far web browsers are the only ones that actually go "back" when I do the two-finger swipe. I'll keep researching this, though, and get back to you when I know more. Thanks for your help.

Xcode also does it. Which reminds me I should probably turn it off, it pisses me off something fierce in Trello where the pages scroll horizontally a huge amount and it's so easy to go from scrolling left to seeing a different board.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-mac-bundle-5-0

Name You Own Price - Mac Bundle 5.0 is going on now.

RapidWeaver 5
TuneUp
Disk Drill Pro 2.0
CrossOver 13
Voila
Snapheal Pro
mSecure for Mac(not the iCloud syncing version found on the App Store)
MacX Mobile Video Converter
PDF Converter Pro
and an "e-learning" course titled 'Projects in iOS'

You can pay whatever you want, but to get all the programs you have to beat the average price paid, which right now is just under $9 bucks. 6 days left to get this deal.

I have alternatives to all these except Voila and I've always been interested in RapidWeaver, so I'm getting in on this. Good deal, and it helps charity as well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Hughlander posted:

Xcode also does it. Which reminds me I should probably turn it off, it pisses me off something fierce in Trello where the pages scroll horizontally a huge amount and it's so easy to go from scrolling left to seeing a different board.

The App Store also does it, but in a fun twist, only two-finger swiping will go back/forward, regardless of what you have set to go forward/back. I set it in the trackpad preferences to use three-finger swipes, but that did nothing in the app store, which was mildly annoying. Imagine my surprise when I was just scrolling on a page and suddenly it went back.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've noticed about four times this week on my dual screen setup on my MacBook Pro that the Dock jumps between the screens. Is this a commonly known bug?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, it's a feature, you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen you want it on and it summons the dock.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I hate how there's a bit of lag for that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

You Am I posted:

I've noticed about four times this week on my dual screen setup on my MacBook Pro that the Dock jumps between the screens. Is this a commonly known bug?

In 10.9 they made it so that you could have the menubar and dock on all of your monitors. You can put it back to the old behavior if you wish.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

kefkafloyd posted:

In 10.9 they made it so that you could have the menubar and dock on all of your monitors. You can put it back to the old behavior if you wish.

Where's the setting for that? Unless they worded it weirdly I don't see it in the System Preferences for Displays, Dock, or Desktop/Screensaver.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Where's the setting for that? Unless they worded it weirdly I don't see it in the System Preferences for Displays, Dock, or Desktop/Screensaver.

FYI it's also what allows full screening an app on one display to not blank out another.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I lost my App Store virginity, submitted an app all by myself :D Pretty smooth process... Hilarious how they warn you about using the word "hardcore" in the description ... That's what the client wants, man! It makes sense in context!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So I have a problem. Buddy installed Xcode using his Apple ID, I'm replacing him at work, we're using the same account ... when I go to update Xcode in the App Store, it asks me for *his* Apple ID password - and I can't change it.

Do I have to completely uninstall and reinstall Xcode?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Pivo posted:

Do I have to completely uninstall and reinstall Xcode?
That's the best way to do it, yes. You should be able to just remove the app and re-download it (which is a pain but it's the "right" way). You could also delete the MASReceipt folder inside the app and see if that lets you update it, but it probably won't work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A tenth build of 10.9.3 (13D57) went out to Apple employees. That usually precedes a GM release, so maybe we'll get it on Monday.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A tenth build of 10.9.3 (13D57) went out to Apple employees. That usually precedes a GM release, so maybe we'll get it on Monday.

Hey parrot, quick question. I signed up for the OSX beta program but I'm terrified that installing a seed means I'm not going to be able to later upgrade to the final build. This computer isn't mission critical or anything but I'd rather not have to wipe it. Can you usually upgrade from beta seeds?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8ender posted:

Can you usually upgrade from beta seeds?
Yes, but like iOS betas it usually won't show up as an automatic update. For OS X, I usually just snag the combo update of whatever the final build ends up being. For iOS, I'll just snag the GM .ipsw and update through iTunes.

Also if you're not running the 10.9.3 beta already, just wait at this point. The public beta seed is a few versions old by now, and I really think we're gonna get 13D57 early next week.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 3, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Got it, thanks much. Next point release I think I'll try my hand when theres been a few betas.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

For some reason the ImageLoader folder for Tweetbot was slowly growing and ended up consuming ~25gb until there was no more room. Any idea what might have caused that?

e: Also, are there better Twitter clients? Tweetbot has always been buggy and I'd gladly move on if a better alternative exists.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 3, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

e: Also, are there better Twitter clients? Tweetbot has always been buggy and I'd gladly move on if a better alternative exists.

What, on OS X ? I just use the official one. Since I only have one account it works pretty well for me. Has a nice menu bar icon too, highlights blue when there's something new.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Abel Wingnut posted:

For some reason the ImageLoader folder for Tweetbot was slowly growing and ended up consuming ~25gb until there was no more room. Any idea what might have caused that?

That definitely should not happen with the Tweetbot. You can try and manually clear our that cache, if you'd like, I'm sure it wouldn't break anything. Just delete the folder. Tweetbot should recreate it. I use Tweetbot all the time, with many followers and lots of pictures, and that folder is 22MB for me. /anecdote

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm putting together a Word document that uses file URLs to access network documents, but is there any possible way to make this work on both OSX and Windows?

I've tried the following iterations. 1-5 work just fine on Windows, but none work on a mac (gives a not found error):
1. H:\file.gif
2. \\server\shared\folder\file.gif
3. //server/shared/folder/file.gif
4. file://server/shared/folder/file.gif
5. file:\\server\shared\folder\file.gif
6. smb://server/shared/folder/file.gif
7. smb:\\server\shared\folder\file.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Abel Wingnut posted:

Also, are there better Twitter clients? Tweetbot has always been buggy and I'd gladly move on if a better alternative exists.

I've always liked Twitterrific.