Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SaintFu posted:

Apparently, Syfy intends to adapt Frank Miller's Ronin as a miniseries.

Fifteen or twenty years ago I would have been psyched for this, but now, I just don't know . . .

It was a great comic. How would you keep it cool for TV...oh it's SYFY, they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh there's a chance they could make it awesome. But if they did, they'd cancel the fucker after one season because it was too expensive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're also doing Hickman's Pax Romana.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

As much as I'd love to see some photographic reflexes on the show they don't have anything in common except for a rough childhood and holding pretty low values of human life. On the plus side they could recast him with a stuntman in a skull mask.

I actually suggested Ward as Taskmaster in the TV subforum, but I think after The MSJ saw someone come up with it.

I don't think they'll do it, but it could totally fit. He's obviously going to do some kind of redeemable last minute action, mind-wiping is already an important part of the plot and Taskmaster is a former SHIELD agent in the comics. If they want to keep him around as some kind of anti-hero without having to worry about all the terrible poo poo he did, he could die heroically, get brought back like Coulson, have his mind wiped completely, escape and go around as this amnesiac mercenary with awesome fighting skills who doesn't want to know who he is because he can feel that he did something completely unforgivable.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Shield is slowly getting better. And I hope to God they make good on the Man-Thing mention.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shameless posted:

Shield is slowly getting better. And I hope to God they make good on the Man-Thing mention.

I do too but I sure hope it's not on this show. There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

XboxPants posted:

There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I refuse to regret my decision to stop watching that show after the 3rd episode.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Madkal posted:

I refuse to regret my decision to stop watching that show after the 3rd episode.

I wouldn't. It's gotten better and was even good for an episode or two but quickly feels like it's falling back into place, the situation has changed but the bad writing is still there.

I doubt I'll watch next season without some creative changes.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SaintFu posted:

Apparently, Syfy intends to adapt Frank Miller's Ronin as a miniseries.

Fifteen or twenty years ago I would have been psyched for this, but now, I just don't know . . .

Samurai Jack was already a thing.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Gavok posted:

I actually suggested Ward as Taskmaster in the TV subforum, but I think after The MSJ saw someone come up with it.

I don't think they'll do it, but it could totally fit. He's obviously going to do some kind of redeemable last minute action, mind-wiping is already an important part of the plot and Taskmaster is a former SHIELD agent in the comics. If they want to keep him around as some kind of anti-hero without having to worry about all the terrible poo poo he did, he could die heroically, get brought back like Coulson, have his mind wiped completely, escape and go around as this amnesiac mercenary with awesome fighting skills who doesn't want to know who he is because he can feel that he did something completely unforgivable.

I guess that works, but I thought the retcon that he was a former shield agent and got his powers from a needle was undone, or ignored. That version of the character had the memory of a goldfish, it was briefly an issue in Avengers Academy, then in every appearance after that I've seen he's been fine. I don't think he's ever failed to recognize Deadpool, Constrictor, or anyone else he has history with outside of those two series.

It also might not be worth it while the universe only has 5-6 operatives with copyable skills worth having(Hawkeye, Cpt. America, Romanov, Batroc, Winter Solder, Crossbones? Mai? later Ironfist, Punisher, Daredevil, Electra & Bullseye). Dude's a walking arsenal that at the moment doesn't even have a reason to carry a sword, unless they go the Olympic footage route. That might work better. Taskmaster shows up as a mysterious villain about the same time Sky starts taking advanced combat training from multi-gold medalist Tony Masters.

If they're just going to add some powers and make Ward a villain Chameleon sounds like a better choice, if his rights aren't tied up with Spider-man. An image inducer's a pretty basic thing for them to have picked up at the fridge and a really cheap effect. Chameleon always seemed to have more of that cold calculating psychosis that Ward has been building up, while Taskmaster is just a Brooklyn thug with skills and doesn't care which side pays his bills. Has any other character in Marvel comics received as many pardons to work for the government?

It could also be pretty fun if he was introduced as Taskmaster the drill instructor, like in The Initiative. They know he's a merc, he's technically still in custody, but when he's done training them he's out the door. They simultaneously have to trust him as their trainer and for mutual defense, but cant because he frequently reminds them that he's not Shield and once this is over they might just become a payday. Basically the opposite of Ward.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

XboxPants posted:

There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

XboxPants posted:

I do too but I sure hope it's not on this show. There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

On the actual show he looks fine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dexo posted:

The lights on the vest are still absolutely ridiculous and pointless. They shouldn't have made the vest so bulky and plastic looking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dexo posted:

Unless he started wearing his robot poo poo on the outside, no he doesn't.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dexo posted:

I'll give you that he looks better than in those original pictures but it's still far away from a good costume. And something like Man-Thing would be way, way harder. He would probably need to be 100% CGi, all the time. Well, he doesn't need to move around a lot, so a top-class Henson puppetry/costume like something from Farscape with some CG finishing might be passable.

Neither of those things are within the demonstrated scope of this show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Man-Thing was possibly flagged in the MCU already when Ellen Brandt appeared in Iron Man 3 (she was the Extremis chick who fought with Tony in the restaurant) although I can't remember if they explained how her face got scarred or whether they left it open. She's almost exclusively a Man-Thing villain in the comics continuity.

Also there was an awful Man-Thing live action movie only a few years before MCU phase 1 started which was supposed to be direct-to-video but was eventually released as a SciFi channel TV movie. They apparently had a budget of $7.5 million (tiny in Hollywood terms but a lot more than Agents of SHIELD could afford) and their Man-Thing was a guy in a rubber suit with CGI tentacles which looked terrible:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her wounds were from Iraq or Afghanistan in the movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man-Thing is never going to loving appear on that show, it's just a cute little gag.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jng2058 posted:

Oh there's a chance they could make it awesome. But if they did, they'd cancel the fucker after one season because it was too expensive.
It's a miniseries. It's not going to get more than one season.

At most there are 3 parts worth of material in there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is this new news?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/01/syfys-new-slate-includes-tv-translations-of-some-comics-we-love/
Syfy have also got a pilot for Charles Soule's Letter 44 and a miniseries for Jonathan Hickman's Pax Romana developing.

I'm not sure which way I want this to go. I want everything good to come to Soule, and the West Wing meets Prometheus thing could be fun, but Letter 44 is only a few issues old and I really want it to last and develop without the complication a concurrent TV show might bring it.

How about a Manhattan Projects series?

e: Forget about the big two writing for the movies. This next year we'll be drowning in pilot pitches disguised as indie comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 1, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe if Pax Romana gets popular/noticed. Although with that they're basically buying a pilot's worth of plot and the setting because there wasn't much to that book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Forget about the big two writing for the movies. This next year we'll be drowning in pilot pitches disguised as indie comics.
You mean we haven't been drowning in that since as long as Mark Millar has been selling rights left and right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Last night's Arrow pretty much said "things are hosed for Oliver" in a big loud voice, and it was a great episode in doing so. I love the idea of mini-Slades running around ready to cause poo poo like a bunch of drunken football hooligans and it was nice to see Oliver pushed to the brink before deciding to stay and fight, and still having his plans backfire. I usually hate it when the villain always seems to be two steps ahead of the hero the whole time, but in Arrow's case the show has really been showing how Slade is in a whole different league from Oliver, and everytime Oliver says that they have to fight smart, he gets his arse handed to him.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Unless he started wearing his robot poo poo on the outside, no he doesn't.

They should have just had the robot leg and arm and the rest be some kind of paramilitary gear. Probably would have saved them money and still look 100x better.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

Last night's Arrow pretty much said "things are hosed for Oliver" in a big loud voice, and it was a great episode in doing so. I love the idea of mini-Slades running around ready to cause poo poo like a bunch of drunken football hooligans and it was nice to see Oliver pushed to the brink before deciding to stay and fight, and still having his plans backfire. I usually hate it when the villain always seems to be two steps ahead of the hero the whole time, but in Arrow's case the show has really been showing how Slade is in a whole different league from Oliver, and everytime Oliver says that they have to fight smart, he gets his arse handed to him.

I loved when Oliver revealed his identity to Blood who just started laughing with an "oh well poo poo now that i think of it of course you're the Arrow".

Also Agents of SHIELD still progresses with the best thing to come out of it is the posters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

I don't know if you saw the preview but poo poo is about to go OFF. Merlyn in it and I've read that Sara is basically on a recruiting trip to pick up Nyssa and the rest of the LoA so the last two episodes are basically going to be Team Arrow/League of Assassins vs. Slade's army.

Waterhaul posted:

I loved when Oliver revealed his identity to Blood who just started laughing with an "oh well poo poo now that i think of it of course you're the Arrow".

It kind of sucks that Kevin Alejandro has had to play second fiddle to Manu this season because he is loving awesome. Not that Manu isn't awesome, I just with the Brother Blood stuff would've had a bit more time to breathe.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How many episodes are left in Arrow, two?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. Apparently the finale is going to be in real time too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah. Apparently the finale is going to be in real time too.

What does this mean? The episode will take place over the course of less than an hour?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

What does this mean? The episode will take place over the course of less than an hour?

Yeah, like an episode of 24. That's just what I've heard don't go tweeting it to all your friends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

Yeah, like an episode of 24. That's just what I've heard don't go tweeting it to all your friends.

Oh man I just imagined an Arrow/24 crossover.

"But I have to be a better man, for my friend I can't kill anymore..."

"Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something? I was just strangling this guy with his friend's intestines"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

"Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something? I was just strangling this guy with his friend's intestines"
"Mr. Queen, I'm the only one you can trust with your secret identity."

"Yeah, about that..."

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I would pay good money for a Chloe/Felicity computer snark off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sleepingbuddha posted:

I would pay good money for a Chloe/Felicity computer snark off.

Jack Bauer already has his superhero outfit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iDguioxV8

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I'm convinced in the next episode of Arrow that Barry's gonna wake up from his coma and rush to the scene with the Mirakuru antidote.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'm convinced in the next episode of Arrow that Barry's gonna wake up from his coma and rush to the scene with the Mirakuru antidote.

I have no problems with this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

FrumpleOrz posted:

I want every CW DC show to spin off another CW DC show. Do it like Kamen Rider, where the next Kamen Rider has a brief cameo just to show off towards the end.

That's how they should be building to a Justice League movie.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Medullah posted:

Speaking of 24, it's rumored that a trailer for Gotham will air during the new 24 miniseries tonight. I'm keeping expectations low, but I loved Rome and am hopeful Bruno Heller brings that A game to Gotham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Speaking of 24, it's rumored that a trailer for Gotham will air during the new 24 miniseries tonight. I'm keeping expectations low, but I loved Rome and am hopeful Bruno Heller brings that A game to Gotham.

Almost everything we know of the show that has been released has pointed to this being a pretty bad show. Mostly because they seem to want to be cashing in hardcore on Batman without having to actually do Batman. Smallville 2.0.