Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I dropped my Sansaire. It has some difficulty turning off now but it still functions like a champ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm trying to find the right cooking temp and time for rabbit. I've seen variations from 125 degress (hell no) to 140 degrees. Is there any official word of trusted word on for temp and time for rabbit meat?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

G-III posted:

I'm trying to find the right cooking temp and time for rabbit. I've seen variations from 125 degress (hell no) to 140 degrees. Is there any official word of trusted word on for temp and time for rabbit meat?
Modernist cuisine likes 138 to core for the loin, 151 for an hour for the leg. I haven't done rabbit SV, but MC's default recommendations have always been good starting points for me.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I planned on cooking multiple bits of rabbit all at once in the same bag, so probably best to shoot in the middle of those temps for about 2 hours and call it done.

Thanks for the tip!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know the OP says 'go on ebay' for cheap bags, but could anyone point me to some tried and tested brands/sellers? running out of my foodsaver ones, and don't wanna pay a billion dollars when I can get the same thing for a reasonable price.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mindphlux posted:

I know the OP says 'go on ebay' for cheap bags, but could anyone point me to some tried and tested brands/sellers? running out of my foodsaver ones, and don't wanna pay a billion dollars when I can get the same thing for a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HVE18/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can probably get them cheaper than that if you really want to look.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Did a couple of things.

First up, sliced beets with thyme for 2 hours at 185F. Chilled down, did a reduction of the beet juices along with some port and some balsamic vinegar, served with candied walnuts.

Then skirt steak with thyme and shallots at 137F for about 6 hours, finished off with the torch and a pan sauce of the reduced oozings. Holy tender.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow both of those look fantastic. How did you finish the steak, pan sear?

edit: Oh duh, just saw torch. Nice job!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
When puddling multiple dishes, are you just doing one at a time and setting aside or what

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

When puddling multiple dishes, are you just doing one at a time and setting aside or what

You can just cook them all at their appropriate temperatures and chill them in an ice bath, then reheat everything to the temperature of the lowest-temp item in the meal (so for carrots you cook them at 180F, then reheat them at 125F or whatever you're cooking your steak at)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You can just cook them all at their appropriate temperatures and chill them in an ice bath, then reheat everything to the temperature of the lowest-temp item in the meal (so for carrots you cook them at 180F, then reheat them at 125F or whatever you're cooking your steak at)

Ahhh, clever!

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So, uh, does the torch do the same job/better job as a sear on an cast-iron pan would?
Is it a viable alternative for steak lovers without the proper gas stove to heat a pan to the appropriate temp?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Torch takes more effort in my experience. You really want a MAP Pro gas torch instead of propane--with propane or anything colder (like butane) you will have to run the torch all over the food many times to get any decent sear. It also produces a decent amount of smoke and will instantly set off smoke alarms, so do it outside. However if you're going to go outside you might as well just throw a cast iron skillet on your grill on high for a bit and then just sear it all in one go.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I have a lovely apartment electric stove, so I just take a single induction cooker out on my patio and use that to get my searing pan hotter then the sun. Works great, and aside from the maintenance people bitching about grilling on my patio (they left me alone when I showed them what I was doing), I'm pretty pleased with it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mod sassinator posted:

Torch takes more effort in my experience. You really want a MAP Pro gas torch instead of propane

Note that there actually isn't any MAPP gas anymore, at least not in the US. The yellow cannisters are just LPG/propylene. It doesn't burn much hotter than propane.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd say it still significantly hotter than propane--I've been using a MAPP torch to light my lump charcoal for years and propane just won't get the job done.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd say it still significantly hotter than propane--I've been using a MAPP torch to light my lump charcoal for years and propane just won't get the job done.

According to BernzOmatic the difference is only about 130F, 3730F vs. 3600F. Not sure why 3600F isn't lighting your charcoal, that's way way above even the autoignition temperature.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I've used both and MAP Pro is way faster at getting a sear on food. One or two passes get a decent sear, and more will char or build a crust. With propane it takes forever, at least 10 or so passes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

According to BernzOmatic the difference is only about 130F, 3730F vs. 3600F. Not sure why 3600F isn't lighting your charcoal, that's way way above even the autoignition temperature.

While this may be true in measurements, I've looked around several other online forums and they all seem to say that it still transfers much more heat than propane does in real world usage. No empirical tests or numbers, but a very strong consensus that it gets work done faster. :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cool. Guess I'll pick up one of the yellow cans, then.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy gently caress best burgers ever.

Had some sirloin stew meat and some short ribs in the freezer. Ground up the meat from both and made burgers with them. Sous vide @ 130 for 30 minutes then a quick sear in the cast iron. loving amazing.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just made chicken liver skewers at 63c for 20 min and they were amazing. 30 sec on the grill to finish.
So creamy, melt in your mouth tender (literally).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My Sansaire just arrived yesterday, so I'm going to take my first shot at sous vide steak today.

My idea is to pick up something at lunchtime, season, and cook at 137F for 5-6 hours (whenever my wife gets home).

Is there a particularly good cut of beef for this? My local Publix tends to focus on pricier steaks and roasts, but I figure since this is going for several hours, I might get more flavor out of something with more connective tissue.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress best burgers ever.

Had some sirloin stew meat and some short ribs in the freezer. Ground up the meat from both and made burgers with them. Sous vide @ 130 for 30 minutes then a quick sear in the cast iron. loving amazing.

How'd you season them? Salt and pepper just before searing or something else?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

WhiteHowler posted:

My Sansaire just arrived yesterday, so I'm going to take my first shot at sous vide steak today.

My idea is to pick up something at lunchtime, season, and cook at 137F for 5-6 hours (whenever my wife gets home).

Is there a particularly good cut of beef for this? My local Publix tends to focus on pricier steaks and roasts, but I figure since this is going for several hours, I might get more flavor out of something with more connective tissue.

Depending on the steak this is probably far too long. I'd just get a decent cut and vizzle it for an hour or two before chucking it in a hot pan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Choadmaster posted:

How'd you season them? Salt and pepper just before searing or something else?

I ground the meat in my kitchenaid grinder attachment, then added salt/pepper/garlic powder, made the patties about 6 oz each, 1" thick and 4-5" in diameter.

I then sealed them in sandwich bags by using the water sealing method opposed to an actual vacuum sealer since the vacuum sealer would have flattened out the patties too much.

I also *lightly* salted them after I took them out of the sandwich bags and dried them off.

These made some huge burgers. Next time I'll probably use 4 oz/patty instead or maybe make them 3/4" thick.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Depending on the steak this is probably far too long. I'd just get a decent cut and vizzle it for an hour or two before chucking it in a hot pan.
I didn't think up to 6 hours would have too much of an effect on beef. Anyway, I'll heed your advice.

I picked up a couple of strip steaks and will try two hours at 137 (my wife likes medium rare, I like medium, so hopefully this gets us in the ballpark).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Remember you now have the ability to cook both of them to whatever temp you want. No need to compromise!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Verdict: Success!

Two 10-ounce New York Strips just seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Into the bath at 137F for two hours. Took them out and seared in a hot skillet with a little canola oil.

It probably wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it's certainly the best steak I've ever made.

The meat was pretty solidly Medium - I may try 135F next time. Also, I think I'll season it a bit more. The inside was juicy and full of flavor, but I like a salty/peppery taste on the outside. For those who do steaks often, do you typically season before puddling, before searing, or right before serving? Or all three?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted tips in this thread. I'm really excited about my new kitchen gadget.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nothing while svizzling, salt then pat dry before searing, pepper and salt while resting, done. I don't pepper when searing because it burns.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WhiteHowler posted:

Verdict: Success!

Two 10-ounce New York Strips just seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Into the bath at 137F for two hours. Took them out and seared in a hot skillet with a little canola oil.

It probably wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it's certainly the best steak I've ever made.

The meat was pretty solidly Medium - I may try 135F next time. Also, I think I'll season it a bit more. The inside was juicy and full of flavor, but I like a salty/peppery taste on the outside. For those who do steaks often, do you typically season before puddling, before searing, or right before serving? Or all three?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted tips in this thread. I'm really excited about my new kitchen gadget.

Season before/after the sear, I also do steak at 130 and find that gets me a nice medium-rare if that's what you're after.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

WhiteHowler posted:

Salt, seal, puddle at 131 F/55 C, unbag, dry, sear one side, flip, couple turns of pepper on the just-seared side, wait for the other side to sear, done.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't think up to 6 hours would have too much of an effect on beef. Anyway, I'll heed your advice.

I picked up a couple of strip steaks and will try two hours at 137 (my wife likes medium rare, I like medium, so hopefully this gets us in the ballpark).

To do this, you cook the high temp steak first, then lower the temperature of the water bath and do the low temp steak (you're not going to overcook the high temp steak unless you do something stupid like cook it for a week), then dry them both and sear. Just pick whatever colour you want.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

The meat was pretty solidly Medium

I puddle at 52C, unbag, dry, sear hard in cast iron, then I put it on a cutting board, spread a pat of butter and hit it with a lot of black pepper before tenting with foil.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

nwin posted:

I ground the meat in my kitchenaid grinder attachment, then added salt/pepper/garlic powder, made the patties about 6 oz each, 1" thick and 4-5" in diameter.

I also *lightly* salted them after I took them out of the sandwich bags and dried them off.

In my experience, mixing the seasoning into the meat requires far more seasoning for the same amount of flavor when compared to just seasoning the outside (it is a mystery). I haven't vizzled a burger yet though. I'll try it your way first!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Choadmaster posted:

In my experience, mixing the seasoning into the meat requires far more seasoning for the same amount of flavor when compared to just seasoning the outside (it is a mystery). I haven't vizzled a burger yet though. I'll try it your way first!

Mixing or grinding salt into beef also gives it a terribly gross sausage texture instead of nice loose burger.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hypnolobster posted:

Mixing or grinding salt into beef also gives it a terribly gross sausage texture instead of nice loose burger.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

/Shrug my burgers were not 'terribly gross sausage texture'-they were loving amazing. I'll try seasoning on the exterior only next time, though.

Edit: I wonder if cooking sous vide had to do with that? One thing I've noticed is the amount of juices that you get in your sous vide bag? Perhaps the juices extracted some of the salt out of the burger? Because mine looked/tasted way more like the 'exterior salted' burger than the other one on the serious eats link.

nwin fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 2, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Fascinating, thanks.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Non GWS goon Sansaire Trip Report:

Sansaire finally shows up last week. Where's the manual? Made some ridiculous, gaudy, over the top poached eggs the first night, finally had time to prep and cook a steak today.

Holy poo poo.

I sv'd a t-bone I got as a gift last christmas that sat forgotten under some stuff in the bottom of my freezer for five months. Visualize a catchers mitt covered in freezer burn. I was spring cleaning before I left town, and I thought what the hell? Took it out Friday, popped it in the fridge to thaw in a ziploc bag with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, a pinch of rosemary and a pinch of thyme.

Got back this morning, Sansaired it for two hours, seared it in just below smoking sunflower oil for 30-45 seconds a side, and it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Certainly the best steak I've ever made. Perfectly rare, I dialed down a bit on the sear due to not wanting to overcook the steak, and it was fantastic, an evenness I haven't seen on the outside of the t-bone, and the inside was as tender as I've ever tasted on any piece of beef. From a five month old freezer burnt to poo poo piece of shoe leather. Maybe it was a decent cut of meat in 2013. That old rear end steak had no business being anywhere near that good.

I feel like all that time that I've spent learning how to properly grill a steak has been wasted.

Can't wait to try a real cut of fresh meat. Short Ribs? Hanger steak? NY Strip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Recursive posted:

Can't wait to try a real cut of fresh meat. Short Ribs? Hanger steak? NY Strip?
My favorites are beef cheek for long cook time (72 hours at 142) and ribeye for short cook time (133 to core). The nice part is that everything comes out pretty well.