Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

kuskus posted:

Are these what you're referring to?

Yes. If you can't get it to start by shorting those, the logic board is likely compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kingnothing posted:

Have you tried a different MagSafe adapter? Have yo been using a third party one or one with the wrong wattage?

Nope. I don't have another one to test with. I've only ever used the adapter that came with it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Evis posted:

Nope. I don't have another one to test with. I've only ever used the adapter that came with it.

You can bring it to an Apple store and they can test it. Otherwise, there goes :10bux: x 8.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy is doing their Apple Promos again. $150 off any Macbook or iMac with a valid .edu email address, including new and 2013 Macbook Airs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global/...JZwPmntzbPuJhzw

This bring the current 13" MBA down to $850 and the previous gen 11" down to $650.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2014

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Buy a used (or even new in some cases) charger with an original Magsafe + a $10 converter and you're out $30-40.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is doing their Apple Promos again. $150 off any Macbook or iMac with a valid .edu licence, including new and pervious Macbook Airs.

This bring the current 13" MBA down to $850 and the previous gen 11" down to $650.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of selling my current machine and getting an 13 Air, but I could just get the base 11 Air and keep this one at that price. I'll need to think about it. I would get the 13 air, but at least to me, it seems like the 13 rMBP is a better deal in comparison (for a primary computer, anyway).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

yoyomama posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of selling my current machine and getting an 13 Air, but I could just get the base 11 Air and keep this one at that price. I'll need to think about it. I would get the 13 air, but at least to me, it seems like the 13 rMBP is a better deal in comparison (for a primary computer, anyway).
The airs are great if you need an extremely portable laptop (11") or ridiculous battery (13") and are comfortable with 128GB/4GB. As soon as you look at BTO options or you need more power than an ultra book can provide, the rMBP becomes a better value proposition.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Mercurius posted:

The airs are great if you need an extremely portable laptop (11") or ridiculous battery (13") and are comfortable with 128GB/4GB. As soon as you look at BTO options or you need more power than an ultra book can provide, the rMBP becomes a better value proposition.

Exactly. I eventually made a comparison between the 13 Air and rMBP with 256 SSD/8GB RAM, and at that point it does make more sense to go with the rMBP. After trying them out in the store, the rMBP was slightly heavier than what I wanted, which is the only reason I took it out of consideration at the time (I have a mildly bad back and want something I can throw in my bag and run with). That said, the 13 Air is only so much lighter, and everything else about the rMBP is nicer (including keyboard and of course screen), but they're both great in their own way, so it really comes down to a case-by-case basis to decide which one to choose.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is doing their Apple Promos again. $150 off any Macbook or iMac with a valid .edu licence, including new and pervious Macbook Airs.

How often do they run this? I guess chances of it overlapping my state's back-to-school tax holiday are slim.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

The 2013 Air is $750 :eek:

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I'm thinking of picking up an air at this price. Anyone have experience with the 11inch? Is it as cramped as it looks? Looking for something for a main everything computer (have an i5 tower for gaming).

Edit: is the bezels actually bigger on the 11 vs the 13? Looks like it...?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes the 11 is really cramped and looks goofy. The 13 is nearly a perfect laptop IMO. And the SD card slot is surprisingly useful.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bonobos posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an air at this price. Anyone have experience with the 11inch? Is it as cramped as it looks? Looking for something for a main everything computer (have an i5 tower for gaming).

I use an 11" when I'm stuck in datacenters and poo poo like that and it's surprisingly usable. If it was my only computer, though, I'd rather have a 13" rmbp. I know that's not what you asked about but man are they so much nicer. I feel like the airs are better laptops than anything from other manufacturers, but the retinas are so much better there's nothing to compare them to.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I took in my rMBP and they replaced the power adapter. It was charging fine in the store after that. I returned home and it won't charge again. :/ I guess something is wrong internally. Have an appointment set up again for tomorrow. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Bonobos posted:

The best thing to do is look in a store and see what you think after seeing them. I originally thought the 11 would be perfectly fine for me after using a Surface Pro and having no problem with the screen size. But after seeing it in a store, I saw how cramped it was and decided to only get one as a secondary computer (and I plan to go back again to make sure before ordering sometime this weekend). It's just way too small with that screen resolution to work as a main computer. But if you already have a desktop, then I can see the 11 working as long as you don't plan to use it for anything that requires more screen real estate. Everyday web browsing, writing, etc. are all fine, but if you're going to draw, edit photos/movies, etc. then prob the 13 Air (or rMBP) would be better.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Bonobos posted:

I'm a huge ultrabook nerd and buy a new one almost every year, from the old Vaio Z, to airs, to S9s. I like ultraportability and I'm used to 12.5-13" screens.

I bought an 11 MBA 2 years ago (same body as the current release) and it was just too frustrating to use. I could hardly fit half of a website on the screen and was constantly scrolling. I brought it back and got the 13" MBA and was much happier. If they can ever get rid of the bezel and do an 11" form factor with a 13" screen (how ever Samsung phrases it) then it'd probably rock.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Evis posted:

I took in my rMBP and they replaced the power adapter. It was charging fine in the store after that. I returned home and it won't charge again. :/ I guess something is wrong internally. Have an appointment set up again for tomorrow. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.

Silly question, but you never know. Have you tried plugging it in to different outlets in your place?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Another thing to consider is the palm rest area. The 11 in has a full size keyboard, but the palm rest is shorter than the one on the 13 Air. When I first tried typing on the 11 Air, I have to admit it was a little off-putting to have the edge of the palm rest come up so close, as opposed to being way past my wrist on my 13 MBP. I found it slightly distracting and felt a bit cramped (and I have small hands), and thought it may not be comfortable for typing for long stretches of time. But for the right price, I could get used to it. This is why the best thing is really trying them in person, and doing so more than once if possible.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I don't have any problems with the palm rests of my 11" MBA (I guess some guys have hands sized like my feet), and I love it for travel. I can have the display open on the tray table in economy without the sudden swift seat reclining motion of the idiot in front of me making the seat scrape against the top end of the display cover.

At home I'd use external peripherals with it if this would be my only computer.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

vty posted:

Wow, put the koolaid down. I've owned non-Apple PCs that were lighter weight and faster than anything Apple has.

I'm glad that you're here to determine that we don't need a secondary battery, because there is definitely no use case (days of constant presentations, seminars, frequent travel, etc) that would make having several extra fully charges batteries available fantastic.

I could also bring up the fact that managing Apple products at the enterprise level is a hilarious nightmare, but that's for a thread with less bias.

That remark about "less bias" is called poisoning the well. And "the koolaid" is right up there with "fanboy".

I'm sure it's somehow not "enterprise approved", but in this day and age, you can run presentations from an iPad or even an iPhone (PowerPoint included), and if you have to lug around several batteries, you're doing something wrong. Nevertheless, these kinds of devices can be recharged several times from external backup batteries that are about the size of a cell phone, I wouldn't be so sure about your external laptop batteries. Plus the MBAs run pretty long to begin with and if your important enterprise employees can never get near any power outlets (which even planes have nowadays), I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not saying MBAs or iPads are the solution to everything, but there's a certain mindset that goes with that "enterprise" that's just mentally desiccated.

e: Forgot to mention there are VGA adapters for iPhone/iPad so they can connect to your 1998 "enterprise" projector for presentations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 2, 2014

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Doctor Zero posted:

Silly question, but you never know. Have you tried plugging it in to different outlets in your place?

Yep. I've tried outlets I know work with other machines that draw several times more power than the mbp.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

flavor posted:

I'm sure it's somehow not "enterprise approved", but in this day and age, you can run presentations from an iPad or even an iPhone (PowerPoint included), and if you have to lug around several batteries, you're doing something wrong.

How well does Outlook run on it?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

shrughes posted:

Right... It's hard for me to guess how serious your post is supposed to be in terms of how important it is in every given enterprise situation to be able to run Outlook. If it's not serious, then haha, you're "getting" it.

In case it's serious, then cool haha, I guess not every application runs on every OS. (But it would run on an MBA.)

I just try to define my needs first and then find the tool for the job instead of "OMG where's regedit32.exe on OS X and why does TextEdit.app not look like notepad.exe?"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flavor posted:

That remark about "less bias" is called poisoning the well. And "the koolaid" is right up there with "fanboy".

I'm sure it's somehow not "enterprise approved", but in this day and age, you can run presentations from an iPad or even an iPhone (PowerPoint included), and if you have to lug around several batteries, you're doing something wrong. Nevertheless, these kinds of devices can be recharged several times from external backup batteries that are about the size of a cell phone, I wouldn't be so sure about your external laptop batteries. Plus the MBAs run pretty long to begin with and if your important enterprise employees can never get near any power outlets (which even planes have nowadays), I don't know what to tell you.

Out of curiosity, and I do not mean this to be hostile, but what real-world experience have you had with actual true enterprise environments, i.e. large Windows-only organizations? I've had the insightful experience of working in IT in environments that were both OS X-friendly and Windows-only, and even in the OS X-friendly environments (a large university), it was still a pain at times to support OS X client machines with regard to Exchange and Sharepoint functionality, etc. Ironically most of the machines actually used in classrooms and such now are iMacs, but for years they all would be running Windows 7 via Boot Camp due to the various software demands. It wasn't until Citrix (:laffo:) finally became "usable" in OS X that the option of using either OS X or Windows 7 was offered.

Many of the staff did use MBPs, MBAs, iPads, etc., but for meetings you almost still needed a laptop of some kind for the likes of slide-progression "clickers", the ability to easily switch to other applications during the presentation when discussing some new piece of code or software and wanting to demonstrate the functionality, etc. When it was just a "dumb" presentation where nothing more than simple slide progression and discussion was necessary, yeah, an iPad works.

After school (and the IT job I held to put myself through school), I'm now a design engineer but for a small regional office of a much larger firm, where I get to play the role of the IT admin (:downs:), and we're a PC-only outfit (it's a several-thousand employee company that purchases a few thousand machines per year, so Dell gives a nice discount). Given that it isn't uncommon to spend 6, 8, even 10 hours during a day in design or client meetings and there are still A LOT of conference rooms where no outlets are integrated into the tables, having removable batteries available is a nice option to have. A MBA could probably make it through many of the meetings, but only if you're using it for light office-related activities. You launch a Windows VM to load AutoCAD, Revit, SolidWorks, Ansys CFD, etc., and now that 8-10 hour battery life is now down to probably 5-6. The Dell portable workstations might get half of that, but if you have a few batteries available during the course of the meeting, it helps.

It is getting a little better with many of the mainstream companies in my field offering very limited iPad apps that allow some remote connectivity to a client system that is actually doing the rendering/etc., but it's still one of those situations where it's just as easy, if not more so, to simply have the workstation there in front of you making the changes with the full feature set of the software suite at your disposal.

Then there's the fact that to even use much of this software would probably require Windows to be installed via Boot Camp, and then you have your IT department annoyed that they have to now be wary of supporting both OS X and the Windows installs. It's additional work that a lot of enterprise environments do not want to deal with given the era of tighter budges, lower overhead costs allowed, etc.

quote:

I'm not saying MBAs or iPads are the solution to everything, but there's a certain mindset that goes with that "enterprise" that's just mentally desiccated.
And there's also a large number of people who very much enjoy Apple's products but don't understand how it isn't always suitable for every environment and application. There are plenty of situations though where Apple hardware shouldn't be used currently.

flavor posted:

I just try to define my needs first and then find the tool for the job instead of "OMG where's regedit32.exe on OS X and why does TextEdit.app not look like notepad.exe?"
That's the issue though in an enterprise environment - you never truly know what the user will need as their job expands, they take on new responsibilities, etc. It's easy to say "I only need the hardware to support X and Y applications", but most companies roll over their hardware on a few-to-several year cycle, so as much as possible, TPTB will try to provide hardware that can potentially support expanded roles as much as reasonably possible. It's part of the headache into why you see companies still wanting XP support due to their "legacy" needs. Ironically, as I was doing my graduate courses, I had to use programs that were written in the 80s and early 90s that have very limited support now in modern OS'. It was not pleasant.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 2, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity, and I do not mean this to be hostile, but what real-world experience have you had with actual true enterprise environments, i.e. large Windows-only organizations?

And that one is called "no true Scotsman". If you already define an "actual true" enterprise environment as "Windows-only", then sure, anything by Apple that uses an Apple OS is excluded by definition.

SourKraut posted:

And there's also a large number of people who very much enjoy Apple's products but don't understand how it isn't always suitable for every environment and application. There are plenty of situations though where Apple hardware shouldn't be used currently.

Right, particularly notepad.exe and regedit32.exe. But seriously: I know that. I also do understand the rest of what you've posted.

In your story, pretty much everybody and everything needs Windows to begin with, but that doesn't mean that that would apply to all well-conceived enterprises.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

shrughes posted:

About 100% better than on a windows machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bonobos posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an air at this price. Anyone have experience with the 11inch?
1366x768

Can you live with that?

If so, it's the greatest laptop, ever.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bob Morales posted:

1366x768

Can you live with that?

100% agree. It's basically the dream scenario of iPad mobile computing... Except with a full OS.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

1366x768

Can you live with that?

Totally agree and have been using one as my main machine for almost 2 years now. When at home, I do plug in a monitor from time to time, but generally find the screen size more than adequate for web browsing, coding, light gaming, business work in office....

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

flavor posted:

And that one is called "no true Scotsman". If you already define an "actual true" enterprise environment as "Windows-only", then sure, anything by Apple that uses an Apple OS is excluded by definition.

I listed plenty of issues that are not OS-related and I would very much enjoy an "enterprise ready" MBP. That means expansion slots, modular bays, and replaceable batteries- definitely a dock, considering I have 4 offices that I work out of. For some reason asking for these things offends the Apple crowd as opposed to opening any sort of intelligent conversation as to why we might or might not need them. It's pretty shameful and obtuse. It's akin to Steve Jobs telling me that I don't need a screen larger than 3.5" - or that a convertible laptop (which I think is one of the coolest recent laptop inventions) is stupid.

You can rant and rave about how I, someone whose job you are likely completely unfamiliar with (as I am yours) shouldn't need XYZ - but at a large company with several thousand positions that does not fly.

"Enterprise-ready" infers a capability to be passed on to anybody for any role.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 2, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ The point is, you're looking to the wrong vendor if you want/need docking stations, and expansion packs and whatever the gently caress else. Apple doesn't sell Homer cars; never has and never will.

Basically, every time someone complains about Apple hardware's terrible, obstinate unsuitability for X reason, an Apple store cash register rings.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 2, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

On the other hand, the un-retina'd Macbook Pro that Apple people turn up their nose at is the only Apple laptop still capable of running Buddhist mantras at 5400 RPMs.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hmmm...

So $799.99 - $150 = $649.99 for the 2013 (Haswell) 11.6", 128 GB laptop? (PCIe SSD, Haswell, etc)

That's a heck of a price for that machine. I've used the 11.6" before and it was a little cramped for sure, but for just using it on a couch it might be a fantastic laptop. (to compliment the iPad)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm let down the "enterprise ready" rant was about not being able to jam a bunch of poo poo into a half-inch thick laptop and not about the lack of group policy or centrally managed antivirus.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

I'm let down the "enterprise ready" rant was about not being able to jam a bunch of poo poo into a half-inch thick laptop and not about the lack of group policy or centrally managed antivirus.

:lol:

I really thought we had hit peak "Apple is bad at meeting the needs of The Enterprise™!! :bahgawd:" a few years ago, but I guess there's still a few stragglers.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm...

So $799.99 - $150 = $649.99 for the 2013 (Haswell) 11.6", 128 GB laptop? (PCIe SSD, Haswell, etc)

That's a heck of a price for that machine. I've used the 11.6" before and it was a little cramped for sure, but for just using it on a couch it might be a fantastic laptop. (to compliment the iPad)

How usable is 4GB of memory under 10.9 for someone who is going to be just doing schoolwork and web surfing and maybe playing a game of Diablo 3?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Action Jackson! posted:

How usable is 4GB of memory under 10.9 for someone who is going to be just doing schoolwork and web surfing and maybe playing a game of Diablo 3?
The high speed of the SSD and I suppose memory compression makes the RAM a negligible concern for most tasks. I can't speak to D3; expect to notice that you have a system fan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Action Jackson! posted:

I don't play D3 but it's perfectly fine for general work/web

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Basic group policy for $20 per server, applies to iOS devices also: http://www.apple.com/osx/server/features/#profile-manager
Rediculously good group policy/management: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite/
Group policy that literally uses GPME though AD (for luddites that can't learn a new tool): http://www.centrify.com/mac/group-policy-for-mac-os-x-desktops.asp
Managed antivirus: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3662

I manage Macs professionally for companies anywhere from 25-30 people up to one client with 120,000+ employees. Yes, Macs aren't PCs and managing them is a slightly different interface. If you want a PC for your enterprise environment, buy a PC and manage it with the appropriate tools. If you want a Mac for your enterprise environment, buy a Mac and manage it with the appropriate tools.

Jesus people, it's not like they catch fire if you walk past a server room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lexicon posted:

^ The point is, you're looking to the wrong vendor if you want/need docking stations, and expansion packs and whatever the gently caress else. Apple doesn't sell Homer cars; never has and never will.

The whole thing is a goofy argument, yes, but it isn't true that Apple has never done some of these things. They pioneered modular bays and sleep-swappable batteries 15+ years ago.