Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: Post no longer needed to keep the update on one page.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Matsudaira Naritami

Chancellor to the Shogun, Finance minister

Gentlemen of the court and Senate. We stand now, as ever at a precipice. Our standing amongst foreign governments is at an all time low thanks to the foolish actions of my kinsman. Now more than ever, we need to show that we are a nation who can be wedded to both the old and the new.

To do so we need a new and better place to have our meetings and government and would like to formally announce the move into the newly constructed Governmental complex.

quote:

Graceful Movement act
- The formal movement of the legislature into the new complex- Hereby named the 栄光の目的の議会 or Cabinet for a Glorious Purpose
- The formal movement of the President into the new executive building- Hereby named the 松平記念宮殿 or Matsudaira Memorial Palace
- The formal naming of the overall complex as the 壮大な国の要塞 or Fortress of the magnificent Republic

I also propose that there be a large inauguration ceremony for the new complex and that alongside the august personages gathered here the various national representatives are also gathered to ensure that our apologies are made formally to them and so that they can see the true glory of the Republic. As well as honouring the departed spirit of our former President.

As regards the budget for the upcoming quarter

quote:

Q4 1878 Budget posted:
Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:

0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
10% tax on samurai merchant activity (1)
20% tax on nōmin (13) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (13) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (4) (merchants)
Special Foreign Trade Agreements:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)
Total Income: 32/quarter

Permanent Budget Items: (27 required for status quo, per category in parentheses)
Internal Security: 8 (7)
Samurai Stipends: 5 (5)
Army Maintenance: 6 (6)
Navy Maintenance: 4 (4)
Military Logistics: 0 (0)
Interest Payments: 5 (5)
Education Fund: 1 (0)
Industrial Fund: 1 (0)
Religious Fund: 1 (0)
British Payment to Normalize relations: 1 (0)

The new funds seen here at the end of the budget are to be used to help the newly founded schooling system to educate the children of Ezo, the Religious fund is to be split by both the Christian and Buddhist denominations to fund new shrines and temples and to complete the (now rather ill) emperors wish to have the Kami formally organised. And the "industrial" fund I leave in the capable hands of the minister of Industry.

Now that our own house is in order we must begin to make full use of every ability we have to fight back against the lies of the Meji and their puppets.

OOC: Done and Done, just as a quick thing did anything come of my stipend regulation idea?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 2, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
OOC: Good post Josef Bugman, but if you could provide the latin transliteration/romaji with the Japanese names, it would be ideal.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

Supporters of both Sakura and Nationalist parties have a reason to rejoice. We proudly present you our first modern railway, built by citizens of Ezo for citizens of Ezo. This is an important milestone in making our formerly undeveloped island into an industrial major power. Are our artisans good enough to conquer international markets? I believe the answer is obvious and we will have the chance to prove it soon enough.

Coincidentally, it also means that Horonai and Sapporo will soon become bustling centers of industrial activity. For workers it means that a handful of jobs are waiting for them. Entrepreneurs can expect multiple occasions to profit. Instead of letting the foreigners to move and fill the void, we should capitalize on this ourselves. This is why I'm going to use the industrial fund to create several state-owned businesses, mostly several foundries, lumber mills, ironmonger factories sand shipyards. Their role is two-fold - they ensure Ezo Republic always has enough of most important industrial goods and provide a base for other industries to develop. After this is done, we will continue with industrialization of the rest of Ezo.

Meanwhile, I would like to address the issue of Enomoto Takeaki's funeral. After bringing the matter on our clan assembly, my kinsmen agreed to sponsor a ceremony worth the hero our former President was. We only ask all visitors to maintain decorum and not disrupt the ceremony.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Ooka Tametomo, High Judge of the Ezo Supreme Court, Samurai

Whomever wishes to act as the attorney for the plaintiff in the matter of Mizoguchi v. Republic of Ezo (cabinet position case), or Masaoka v. Republic of Ezo (woman questions) please claim and we will schedule oral arguments. Additionally, as the government is the defendant in both of these suits, a representative of the Executive Branch gets the first chance to defend. If they choose not to, then we will seek outside counsel for the defense as well.

(ooc: if you want to argue either of these cases, please claim and make your argument on all questions outlined in Stalinator's turn report. If Colonel Wood doesn't want to have someone defend, which would be strange, anyone can do it I suppose. Of course, posting your argument sooner is better. Hopefully sometime this weekend? If no one volunteers, I suppose we'll just assume oral arguments were done by npcs?)

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 2, 2014

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Saji Kobei, PDF Commander, Freedom Party Chairman

Ezo banzai!

I congratulate the government and military for their brilliant victory over the Meiji navies. At home, the GABU and PDF have succeeded in putting a near-end to the banditry in the countryside.

The traitorous Unity Party is no more and its former members are now productive citizens, contributing to the harvests. The country is free from the influence of the anti-patriots.

We appreciate the efforts of the Supreme Court Chief Justice, Tokugawa Chamberlain and Education Minister towards enfranchisement and egalitarian ideals.

This season we will work to restore the most civil administration of the central government to the former chaos of the countryside. PDF will make a transition to a program of peace, production organization, and charity until the next wave of Meiji offensives.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In a speech given from Hokkaido's imperial palace.

Emperor Tobu, Legitimate, Internationally Recognised Emperor of Japan

Greetings to the citizens of Japan who have stayed loyal to myself and the republic for so many years, you have my eternal gratitude.

I come before you today to give a few announcements.

Firstly I would like to express my severe regrets and distaste that Tokugawa Kamenosuke was driven insane by the pressures of his post and hatched a grossly dishonourable plot to murder his sister, which not only succeeded but also murdered several innocent bystanders. After consultation with the shogunate court I have decided to accept their reccommendation that Tokugawa Kamenosuke be stripped of his status as shogun, and that Tokugawa Satotaka is now officially named as the new shogun. This is retroactive to the initial arrest of Kamenosuke. I ask that the shogunate court present a list of Ezo's daimyo, as my courtiers are currently unable to find one.

Secondly, I would like to express remorse at the death of my friend Enomoto-san. Let our nation remember him as its architect. To my loyal citizens, I appreciate that the government has failed to hold an immediate state funeral for him, but bear in mind that this is a time of war, and that the government are currently concentrating on fighting a war with the traitorous meiji regime and their leader who dares to crown himself emperor. I hereby announce that I shall personally fund a full, closed casket state funeral for Enomoto-san. In addition. I decree that a statue of him will be built outside of congress, to forever remind your elected officials of the duty and sacrifice that his life entailed.

Our new president's fury at the family of his murderer is understandable, and I completely sympathise. However, the power to order a samurai to commit seppuku is a power that lies solely in the hands of the emperor. These words are not meant as disrespect to Tarou-san, but as a reminder that it is only in the hands of the emperor that this power can be used without emotional interference for the good of Japan. After reviewing the reports that my retainers brought me, it is clear that the traitor's family was unaware of his intentions. This does not excuse them from having to compensate the state for his sin, but I feel that asking them to offer their lives would be a waste. Instead, the traitor's kinsmen will offer their services to the army, but will not be afforded any of the ranks or priveleges of the samurai during their service. This service will last for 18 years, two years for each year that Enomoto devoted himself to Japan. His estate will also pay a sum of money (1 credit worth) to the government to compensate for the loss of Enomoto's talent.

To all soldiers on Hokkaido and the Japanese mainland loyal to the traitorous Meiji regime. I acknowledge your bravery and commitment as soldiers, however I cannot forgive these treasonous acts of sedition against the Japanese Empire. I will give you one chance. If you surrender yourselves now and surrender all the information you know, I will forgive you and ensure that you are treated well in full accordance with international law. Provided you are cooperative then following your interrogation you can work towards full citizenship of Ezo and Japan, with the guarantee of a better life this entails. However, should you continue your seditious acts then you will not be forgiven. Soldiers who will not recognise me as the true emperor may as well cast themselves into the sea now, as a quick death by drowning will be nothing compared to what will await you for your treason. I even extend this offer to the Meiji "emperor", surrender now and you will be forgiven for your crimes.

Finally, to the leader of the Sakura party. For someone who was once the former army leader you seem curiously ignorant of our history. Were it not for the British and the French we would have been defeated in our fight to create the Ezo republic. The Americans have supported us in modernising our economy, thus ensuring that we can realistically support a war against the mainland. Those three great nations and the Russians have continuously reaffirmed their support for the Ezo republic and the fact that I am the legitimate emperor of Japan. Yet your rabble rousing ignores that in favour of indiscriminate persecution of that which is not Japanese, ignoring the fact that just as there are evil Japanese there are honourable foreigners. I order your now as your Emperor, cease your rabble rousing and unmitigated violence, and conduct yourself as a samurai, not a thug.

In remembering our history I too am reminded of the old Northern Alliance and our failures in the Boshnin war. I ask that our government continue working with our foreign friends and work towards modernising our military. Ours is not currently a large or populous nation, therefore we need to continue seeking an extra edge in the form of advanced military technology that can tip the scales in our favour.

I also ask that the government remember that sometimes change is good, but change must always be necessary. It is easy to change what it means to be a samurai, or a citizen of Japan, but it is far harder to make the people accept it. Our traditions are not all evil, nor must they be discarded in favour of a single individual.

To the British, American, French and Russian nations. I thank you for being true friends of Japan. To the people of Ezo, I thank you for your loyalty. To everyone gathered here, thank you for listening.

ooc: the dude playing the emperor hasn't been on in several turns, so I've got GM permission to be the new emperor.

Ezo is a signatory of the Geneva Convention due to it being a very western influenced republic. Chalk it up to political pressure from the French and British who were both early signatories and helped form Ezo. IRL Japan signed in 1886 so it's not too anachronistic. Again, I cleared this with Maxrob.

E: Made the new shogun appointment retroactive to avoid any problems with Enomoto not dying a samurai

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 2, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Paper With Lines posted:

Ooka Tametomo, High Judge of the Ezo Supreme Court, Samurai

Whomever wishes to act as the attorney for the plaintiff in the matter of Mizoguchi v. Republic of Ezo (cabinet position case), or Masaoka v. Republic of Ezo (woman questions) please claim and we will schedule oral arguments. Additionally, as the government is the defendant in both of these suits, a representative of the Executive Branch gets the first chance to defend. If they choose not to, then we will seek outside counsel for the defense as well.

Matsudaira Naritami

I would seek to make the defence for the latter of these cases, as it has originated within my own office. To put it bluntly there have been many cases where female Samurai have proven their worth. The idea of Onna Bushi is a popular and abiding one, our women folk can commit Jigai if the need requires it and many possess stronger stomachs than many male Samurai. It is therefore my considered opinion that not only can women be considered Samurai, but that they should also be allowed to vote. The first is an obvious point because many of us are, hopefully, married to women of good families who we would consider Samurai. All of us here know that service is the basis of what a Samurai was, and it appears to me that women are more than capable of giving service to our country as educators, militia members and as leaders. To believe otherwise is to ignore the evidence of your own eyes in favour of a world stolen from the Chinese, we are not so slow as to believe that women must shuffle around with bound feet I trust?

It is therefore my considered opinion that all women who have given service to the nation, and being either married to or daughters of Samurai families, be given the right to vote. That service can come in several ways it can be through education, through armaments production or finance, through helping the information ministry, through battle service and, finally, through aiding the wounded soldiers of the country.

Thank you for your time and allowing an old man to speak to the court.

(OOC: not feeling my best at the moment, but this is the best speech I could whip up before the weekend ends)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

quote:

2. Can a woman be appointed to government? Can a woman be a samurai? Can a samurai receive less than full rights as guaranteed under the constitution?
This issue is complex, and the appointment of Fumiko as Education Magistrate follows on the heels of her elevation to samurai by the Shogunate. This elevation was conditional however in that she was restricted from her right to vote, despite constitutional guarantees to this effect. Some opponents argue that this is unconstitutional, and that all samurai must have full rights. Other opponents argue that a woman cannot be a samurai as it does not follow tradition, and due to a general unease with women enjoying positions of power/samurai status. The implications of this case are wide-ranging, and could impact the franchise as well as samurai eligibility.

I believe our tradition clearly answers the second question. There were plenty of bushi women in our history, like Tomoe Gozen, Hōjō Masako or, more recently, Nakano Takeko.

The last one deserves a special mention, because she fought and died during the Boshin War. As a person thoroughly trained in martial arts, she actually led an army of women into battle. As far as I hears, she was shot into the chest. Allegedly, she asked her sister to cut off her head and bury it somewhere, rather than letting it to fall into the hands of an enemy. She led an exemplary life and died an exemplary death.

Our tradition is about respecting diligence, bravery and honor, especially in the face of death. Sex or nationality don't matter in this - Tokugawa Ieasu, for example, has made an Englishman, Anjin Miura, a samurai, who became his hatamoto. It also makes sense from religious point of view: men can be reborn as women, after all. Some may say that the entire reason they are reborn as women is because they were unfit to lead a warrior's life, but when looking at women like Nakano Takeko, it is clear this is not the case.

As for the other questions, the law is clear enough on this matter: a samurai can vote, a samurai can be appointed to government. This includes onna-bugeisha.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Matsudaira Tarou - President

For the case of Mizoguchi v. Republic of Ezo (cabinet position case) I would like to note that there is nothing constitutionally preventing a person from holding multiple cabinet positions. Especially now in the case of Ezo where we face a critical shortage of competent, sane, and loyal officials who could be appointed to these extremely important cabinet positions. The difficulties in specifically managing the Army and Navy and the previous traitors, psychopaths, and incompetents who held these positions caused great damage to our nation.

For the case of Masaoka v. Republic of Ezo (woman questions) I defer to the arguments presented by Matsudaira Naritami and Matsumae Takahiro who have both covered all relevant points in the case.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Meiji Update

In the interests of clarifying what is happening in this alternate brave new world of Anno Domini 1878, and to shirk from doing AP, here is an update of what's going on south of the straits.

The Story up to 1877

Even before the wreck of the imperial invasion fleet was at the bottom of Hakodate Bay, the court of the Meiji Emperor was on the move. The exile rebels, formerly a band of ragtag separatists, were now not only the de facto rulers of Ezochi, but the de jure administrators as well thanks to gaijin diplomatic recognition. The restoration which had begun so promisingly was now off to a bad start.

Heads had to roll, and the former shogun's was the first. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the last shogun who had so faithfully abandoned his own army to surrender in the capital, was accused of treason by imperial inquisitors. Despite having pleaded his ardent supporters to make peace and even resigned his position not only as head of the bakufu but as the clan head in favor of the adopted Tayasu Kamenosuke (Tokugawa Iesato), followers of the emperor denounced him as secretly sending succor and abetting the rebels. And so, on new year's morning, 1870, the last shogun was beheaded on the grounds of newly-renamed Imperial Castle in Tokyo, the sword wielded by the eighteen-year old Meiji Emperor himself. Thus began the Great Tokyo Fire Raid.

The Fire Raid was a mass purge by pro-imperial forces against all vestiges of the former bakufu, as well as clan members of domains that continued to hold sympathy- not merely loyalty- to the Ezochi exiles. Aizu, Takamatsu, Jozai, and so on were greatly scrutinized, male members forced to swear oaths of undying fealty not merely to the Meiji Emperor but his loyal clans, the Satsuma and the Choshu. Reversing centuries of the older order, the tozama clans- those who were unrelated by blood to the Tokugawa- overthrew the fudai and shinpan, eagerly joining the wolves of the Satchō Alliance. There were executions, forced seppuku, exiles, and looting galore. Wives wept as their husbands were imprisoned and children taken to be adopted by other clans. Even as the architects of the new order drew up plans to introduce the seeds of democratic governance to post-bakufu Japan, they preserved emergency powers against free assembly and seditious speech. When news arrived that Sousai Enomoto had agreed to crown the wayward ōke prince Kitashirakawa Yoshihisa as a rival claimant as mikado, the fire only intensified, as members of the imperial family itself came under suspicion. All throughout this decimation of the clans and suppression of dissidents was a new idea: "One Emperor, One Empire." (一天皇, 一帝国)

Thus was born the modern Meiji Empire.

Over the next decade, the Restoration went on more or less similarly as it would have. In some ways more smoothly and swiftly. Certainly, the presence of exile rebels claiming to be daimyos and lords of han would be no good; therefore, abolish the hans, and the claims they went with it. Oh, so these samurai claim to have ancient privileges? Well, then abolish the parasitic ingrates, let them rule over a land of wolves and savages, and give their land to those who are loyal. Make every man a samurai until the term is meaningless. The barbarians were instrumental to the success and continued survival of the rebel alliance? Then abolish the barbarians; at least those of nations inimical to the empire- levy tariffs and taxes towards their traders, disregard their dignitaries with contempt, and look the other way when angry mobs storm their foreign quarters. This policy was a selective one; those of nations that had not aided the rebels were ignored, even welcomed.

Yet, this situation was unsustainable. As strengthened as the Meiji Empire was by anger and paranoia, the anger could not continue indefinitely. So after the initial year or two of conflagration, tensions cooled off in Japan, as the oligarchs of the new regime focused their attentions on feverish industrialization, content that the traitors were all either gone from the earth or expelled to the north. In addition to the abolition of the feudal era domains and of the previous class structure was the introduction of compulsory schooling, which ensured that the ideals of the emperor and his faithful genrō were the first impression an entire generation would have of Japan's government. A conscript army of newly empowered peasantry was raised. And technological modernization in all forms increased. Throughout this time, the restorationists took an eye away from the north, seeking inner strength and taking out their frustrations with military adventures to Formosa and by forcing open Corea to Japanese trade in 1874. After the violent excitement of the Fire Raid gave way to the constructive excitement of industrialization, it seemed as if smooth sailing would befall the empire.

The Situation Since Sado

Unfortunately, feverish modernization came at a steep price. Societal turmoil and the rise of reaction against the gradual acceptance of Western ways occurred, even if government propaganda attempted to distract the citizenry with external bugbears such as the Republic of Ezo and France, and of external opportunities such as Corea and the Ryukyu Kingdom. The late 1870s was a boiling point of simmering discontent from former samurai. Banding around the high-minded slogan of "National wealth cannot buy personal honor" (国富で面目買えない), in actuality these ex-samurai desired the reclamation of personal wealth at the expense of national honor- and wealth. Stirring up trouble, persecuting foreigners, Christians, and former vassals with impunity, they armed and marched upon Tokyo to make their demands heard, in the hope that the emperor would receive them.

The fall of the Satsuma Rebellion was the reply. The newly modernized military neatly cut through the angry men like bullets through leather armor.

The near past is repeating. There is talk of a second Great Tokyo Fire Raid against former samurai, regardless of clan of origin, to wipe out the former bushi from all of Japan. While the oligarchs have not gone so far as that, they have greatly praised the loyalty and efficacy of the Imperial army during Saigō's insurrection, and immediately drafted plans for actions against the northern external threat. They have also cultivated the rise of various "imperial patriotic organizations", grassroots groups composed of newly-empowered peasants and military veterans of common origins. Semi-secret societies such as the Ten Thousand Sons and the Emperor's Own cry Banzai! and act at the behest of the Sangi (Imperial Council), removing troublesome elements so that the Meiji will continue unimpeded.

Internally: anger, externally: cold revenge. The attack on Sado is seen as the final insult. Almost all of Japan, from the highest oligarch to the lowliest peasant cries out blood for blood against the northern exiles. The defeated invasion has only deepened the imperial resolve to reclaim their territory and treasure from the rebel alliance. Taking advantage of the situation, the Sangi has been rallying disaffected traditionalists against the bastion of anachronistic false emperor-following traditionalists and their gaijin devil allies. Even as Saga, Shinpūren, Hagi, Akizuki grumble at the new reforms and remember Saigō, they slowly arm themselves for confrontation against their former samurai brethren.

One thing is certain: the Ezo Republic's frog has awoken a sleeping red-crowned crane.

Meiji Military

Due to the terrible falling out between the Meiji Empire and the Second French Empire, the French military missions were more or less expelled or at least ostracized from the Japanese Home Isles. In their stead the Meiji restorationists imported some British naval designers, a few Dutch civil engineers, and many many German army advisors. The Teutonic-Yamato amity arose based on political compatibility against the hated Gallics, some superficial coincidences (both newly-united empires, similarities between Junkers and Samurai), and most of all shared proto-nationalist desires to claim their respective places in the sun, on opposite sides of the world.

The Imperial Japanese Army is modernizing at a fast pace, with a fully-staffed and well-trained officer system directly imported from the Prussian General Staff system. Officers include both former samurai (largely from loyalist clans) and peasants who have been promoted due to merit. Weapons are modern, though high command has not been as particularly- creative- as the republicans in ordering unique and cutting-edge weaponry. They have more men to throw at a foe than there are trees in all of Ezochi. The initial attack on Hakodate was essentially a scouting party.

The Imperial Japanese Navy is state-of-the-art and modern, with German provided ships based on British designs. IJN naval doctrine is based on the Royal Navy's: high endurance vessels capable of "sanitizing" large areas of sea, bolstered by heavily armed small ships for rapid deployment and protection of shipping. As such, they are more than capable of fighting off piratical- or other- raiders on the open ocean. Naval modernization has been a particularly hot topic in the Sangi- not only did the pro-shogunate rebels abscond with most of the navy during their merry flight to the north, naval inferiority in the face of joint French-rebel defense has stymied attempts at reconquest for a decade.

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 5, 2014

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This space is reserved for:

Meiji Politics

Meiji Foreign Relations

Meiji Sports

Meiji Cuisine

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 5, 2014

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Iwakura Totomi, Former Meiji Spy, Proprietor of "Sushi-tennou: Tokyo Branch", Iron Chef, Job Creator, Small Business Owner, Would-be Assassin of and Personal Chef for the Shinsengumi and Hijikata Toshizo, future Augmented Meijian, Current Cyborg, Exiled from Ezo but Not Mad About It.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Meiji Cuisine

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Matsudaira Naritami

-Letter disseminated amongst the peasants of Northern Honshu-

To the proud sons and daughters of the soil, please take heed of these warnings and hide yourselves if you can: The Meji government believes that we who live across your strait are a threat to you, and warns you that we will bring only murder, rapine and theft to your shores. We intend no such thing, our wish is to reintegrate our great nation, to work with all peoples of the isles to forge a powerful and beneficial force for all who live within it. Is it not the case that you have merely been told of the riches and wealth of your lands, yet your taxes and the demands of your landowners grow ever more insistent? Have you not been told of the invincibility of your armies, despite your sons dying meaningless and sorrowfully far from home? Have you not been told of the kindness of the Emperor, yet seen no change to your own lives?

If any of these is true, then I urge you to speak to one another and to understand that you are not alone. All of us must stand united, and I am sorry that we may be the cause of any of this.

Yours Sincerely
Matsudaira Naritami
Chancellor to the Shogun

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
Leader of the Sakura Party

The high speak, and the low shall listen. The Emperor orders, and his subjects shall obey.

Please, O Divine Emperor, see this display of humility! It was never my intention to worry one such as yourself, nor is it my place to do anything that may displease you. I am, and have always been, a humble servant of the Japanese nation, doing what he thought would best serve the republic! If you decree there shall be no more rabble rousing, there shall be no more rabble rousing. If you decree that there be no more unmitigated violence, there shall be no more unmitigated violence. It is as simple as that.

I shall endeavor, in my own actions and in my leadership, to serve Ezo in a way that best suits your divine vision. Only traitors and fools would dare to do otherwise, and I am none of those.

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Thomas Crusoe

The Big Kotan Bank will now clean your dirty laundry. Ask for details inside...

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Thomas Crusoe

quote:

1873: President Enomoto is handily re-elected as president of the Republic in a vote by the Samurai class. Representing the first balloted elections in Japanese history, the election is organized across the republic, with proof of samurai class membership (in the form of an official government seal) the only requirement for voting. Enomoto runs unopposed, but is constitutionally barred from any further terms.

quote:

Majority Ruling of High Judge Takenaka Shigetaka on Matsumae vs. The Republic
“Status in the samurai caste was guaranteed by birth and could not be deprived via legislative action.”

Yea about the whole appointment of the woman samurai... Thomas Crusoe would ask our esteemed congressmen to produce their birth certificates proving they are what they say. As far as I can tell, Enomoto, may he rest in peace, simply handed out official decrees signifying and authenticating individual samurai status without foresight of the rather liberal civil inclinations of the current legislature. Though the rubber-stamp may have been prudent to get the official business of the Ezo government underway, I think it would be a mistake to take some of these so-called "samurai" at their word and reputation as authenticity for their actual samurai status (especially in lieu of the chaos wrought on the Republic by saboteurs in recent years)--in which case, I too would be right in claiming my samurai status. So I think you guys gotta prove you were born into it other than through some common law understanding.

Also, I think it's pretty short-sighted (if samurai status is universally attributed by birth) to have samurai rights enshrined on Ezo by the constitution, given that the Meiji could just flood the republic with authentic samurai stooges to rig the vote. Just imho

mynamewas fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 7, 2014

vanukar
Jan 16, 2014

I'd like to be Thomas Blake Glover, Scottish merchant in Japan and supporter of the Meijii revolution.

I promise I'll be active this time!

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
Would be cool if the GMs were on IRC more.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

So, let me ask something of all those who are interested in. We've won victories in war, but war has its price. In money, in lives, and in other things. Let me be clear. I am an adviser, and whatever Ezo does, I will be with it all the way. Do we intend to wage this war hotly until the Meiji falls? Or are there conditions under which we would accept a truce, or perhaps even as lasting peace. With out current victories, our negotiation position is strong, French or no French.

We might wish a return of Sado. Or we might simply wish them to leave us alone. Perhaps we should simply let time be the judge, rather than war. My personal view is that if we were able to get a long term truce without any tribute towards the Meiji, we should take it. What think others of this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shogeton posted:

Horace Capron
My personal view is that if we were able to get a long term truce without any tribute towards the Meiji, we should take it. What think others of this?

Matsudaira Naritami

I believe that this is an intelligent course of action, if we can get the return of Sado alongside the ratcheting down of our war machine, we can at least begin to rebuild and grow without constant fear of assault from the South.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
ahahahahahhaa

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Matsudaira Naritami

I believe that this is an intelligent course of action, if we can get the return of Sado alongside the ratcheting down of our war machine, we can at least begin to rebuild and grow without constant fear of assault from the South.

Matsumae Takahiro

This is not a good idea. Our claim to Sado is negligible, there is simply no way we can present it as anything other than an opportunistic military aggression. It is not a bad thing per se, but we also proved to be unable to hold the island very long. It is simply too close to the Imperial mainland. This greatly increases the area our navy needs to cover to adequately protect civilian ships.

There is no point in getting attached to an island we held for maybe several months.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Emperor Tono, the one true Japanese emperor

The illegitimate dictator of the mainland would love nothing more than peace, as time is his greatest ally. With time he can bring his superior resources to bear and modernise his troops, rebuild his navy and improve his defences until we stand no chance of reclaiming the mainland from the Meiji rebellion.

As your Emperor, I will harbour no talk of peace or ceasefires until the mainlands are once again in the hands of their rightful owner. I am particularly disappointed with the shogun's regent's opinions in this discussion, as he and his ward would likely be put to the sword should our moment of weakness allow an eventual meiji victory.

The only way this war can end is with my return to the traditional imperial palace, and with that dictator dead at my feet.

I cannot forbid my government from discussing peace, but I will emphasise that I would consider peace will the rebellion a betrayal.

Strategically, reclaiming Sado was a mistake, it was simply too far away from Ezo when compared to its distance from the nearest Meiji port, making it's seizure as our first act in this war futile. Victory for us will be determined on the mainland, not on Sado.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 11, 2014

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

~~~Turn due on Friday, May 16th, 11:59PM (CST, UTC -6)~~~

AP + other materials to be posted in a few hours

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

AP up- the best post of the last turn goes to Gantolandon, for his comprehensive coverage of the economic and logistical state of Ezo. As always, forward any urgent corrections to me.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

Traitors beg for peace;
Surrender and it is yours;
Fight and you will die.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

Traitors beg for peace;
Surrender and it is yours;
Fight and you will die.

Do you have spies in my palace cause you've somehow managed to steal a copy of my next speech.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Thomas Blakiston

I am sorry that I was not able to return the disgraced shogun to Ezo to allow him to face justice here. Such matters were entirely outside my control, dependent upon a pact made between the late President Enomoto and the British government. I am glad to know that the murderer will face justice, but it saddens me that the late president did not feel his own nation capable of providing it. Though I remain a loyal British subject, I also wish to remain a loyal friend and defender of this republic, and I truly believe it is capable of acting as a sovereign nation on the world stage.

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Update?

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
This game was pretty cool while it lasted. I hope the GMs say something soon.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Alright, you asked for it.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

Alright, you asked for it.

i haven't forgotten about you maxrob

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

or you josef... wherever you are

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I assume you don't mean me.

If the game is ending could we have an epilogue? And thank you so much for a very fun game!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

shut the gently caress up and stop bumping this thread. let it die, brah.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Don't toy with my heart, MaxRob :(

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

maxrob is a harsh mistress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Epilogue

Matsudaira Naritami

Man at the end of his life. A small building complex in Bejing

It is said that in the old days Samurai would always commit suicide as opposed to risking disgrace. I have known enough Samurai to know that that is laughably false. I have known men of courage and integrity who would not know how to do a tea ceremony if their life depended on it, and I have seen vainglorious fools wish their lives away to make up for "foreign threats".

I am 85 years old, the house of Matsudaira lives, but is scattered throughout our newly adopted homeland of China. We fled here after the final fall of Ezo. In those last days I still remember the smell of the sea and the whistle and crack of the bullets. We had done our best, and indeed the might of the Meji had been turned back time and time again by a nation of little more than feudal throw backs. But we knew that our end was coming, and so I had organised the largest evacuation in history, pooling every resource and calling in almost every favour in order to escape and survive. I still remember the boy who chose to light the fire under the grand palace complex, he must have been no more than 17 and wished to prove himself. I wish I could have talked him out of that at least.

Most of us made it. The Shogun did at least, and we arrived at the Chinese mainland with much of our coin and lives intact. I let my own people decide what to do, and when they decided to follow our house I was grateful. Many got jobs with Gajin firms, my old friendship with some of them on Ezo was not forgotten. And then I set up our current situation. We make money, we trade, we barter secrets and trade in honour, we treat our people well and help the unfortunate, whilst always crippling the Meji and their apparent ambitions.

Perhaps not in my own life time now, as I am virtually confined to this bed and can feel deaths shadow upon me, but we will return to Japan in triumph. We will be wealthy, we will be loved by the common people and we will break the back of whatever "Imperial family" claims to have rights to the throne.

10,000 years to the Bakufu. 10,000 years to the true shogun.

• Locked thread