Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay, I have a legit question here. This is something that has bugged me ever since I was a kid.

Ultimecia: "Reflect on your... Childhood..."
Ultimecia: "Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions..."
Ultimecia: "Time... It will not wait..."
Ultimecia: "No matter... ...how hard you hold on. It escapes you..."
Ultimecia: "And..."

That "And..." infuriated me to Hell. I kept thinking I was missing something. Is that a correct translation? But I talked to a guy named Squall_of_SeeD a few years back (he does a bunch of translation of Ultimania stuff, or at least he did many years ago now) and he said that was right and they even did something like it again iN Dissidia maybe? I think that's what he said.

Also at the start of the final battle she says " Time shall compress... ...All existence denied" hence my belief she wanted to negate the universe. But since there ar eso many accusations of shoddy translation going on, I don't know what's what anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

What about your guys' views on the translation changing Zell's favorite food to hotdogs?

That's more an example of localisation per se, not that flavoured bread is that exotic, but hot-dogs are more familiar I guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, I have a legit question here. This is something that has bugged me ever since I was a kid.

That "And..." infuriated me to Hell. I kept thinking I was missing something. Is that a correct translation? But I talked to a guy named Squall_of_SeeD a few years back (he does a bunch of translation of Ultimania stuff, or at least he did many years ago now) and he said that was right and they even did something like it again iN Dissidia maybe? I think that's what he said.
The original line trails off too, but there's a bit more to it.

“Have you remembered something?
Something from your childhood
A sensation
The words from back then
The emotions from back then
As you become an adult
You leave something behind, throw something away
Time will not wait for you
Even if you cling to it
It slips away the instant you open your hands
And…”

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

The GIG posted:

Only one I can think of is Dissidia at the end.

The original FF4's endgame team's Band attack in After Years is called Final Fantasy, but seeing as most people here seem to hate it, I dunno if it counts.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
This is like, some kind of final fantasy, eh Cloud?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Given that Edea talks about Witches and fantasies I kind of think that's entirely the point!

OK, yeah, the fairy tale thing is a given. It's the fact that it was written entirely in 5-word sentences of two-syllable words. "There was a man. He was bad. He burned little people. Some little people were kids. People like kids. So they didn't like the man. The end."

NikkolasKing posted:

Also at the start of the final battle she says " Time shall compress... ...All existence denied" hence my belief she wanted to negate the universe. But since there ar eso many accusations of shoddy translation going on, I don't know what's what anymore...

I think that's how some Japanese writers like to create "mystery" and "ambiguity." I've repeatedly come across "deep" dialogue that's really just vague (unclear pronoun usage, etc.), filled with ellipses and half-finished sentences, and that trails off before you have any idea what the hell they're talking about. Personally I find it more annoying than intriguing.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 2, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's more an example of localisation per se, not that flavoured bread is that exotic, but hot-dogs are more familiar I guess?

I can't say i know many 17 or 18-year-olds who go crazy for flavored bread. Well I don't know many who go crazy for hotdogs either but still, I don't think I've ever eaten flavored bread in my life.

Endorph posted:

A sensation
The words from back then
As you become an adult
Even if you cling to it
And…”

I...still don't really get it. I mean, the words make sense in both langauges, but the context and the "why" are what perplex me. I don't see any reason for Ultimecia to be saying all this.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think that's how some Japanese writers like to create "mystery" and "ambiguity." I've repeatedly come across "deep" dialogue that's really just vague (unclear pronoun usage, etc.), filled with ellipses and half-finished sentences, and that trails off before you have any idea what the hell they're talking about. Personally I find it more annoying than intriguing.

You're probably right and that's all it was meant to be.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 2, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Oh hey, FFXIV question. On the OST, what's the name of that boss fight theme that plays when you fight Nero?

bloodychill posted:

This is like, some kind of final fantasy, eh Cloud?

i'm honestly surprised it doesn't get namedropped more often.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rei_ posted:

Oh hey, FFXIV question. On the OST, what's the name of that boss fight theme that plays when you fight Nero?

I don't recall there being a boss named Nero in FFIV but the 3 boss songs are Boss Theme 1, Boss Theme 2, and the Final Battle (played during the fight with Zeromus).

edit: oh balls, I misread the question

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 2, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't say i know many 17 or 18-year-olds who go crazy for flavored bread. Well I don't know many who go crazy for hotdogs either but still, I don't think I've ever eaten flavored bread in my life.

Zell just loves them freudian subtexts hotdogs.

Rei_ posted:

I'm honestly surprised it doesn't get namedropped more often.

Gilgamesh almosts gets one. He has an attack called "Ultimate Illusion".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I...still don't really get it. I mean, the words make sense in both langauges, but the context and the "why" are what perplex me. I don't see any reason for Ultimecia to be saying all this.

Its at least marginally more on point with the theme of the game about what it means to transition to adulthood but its still basically meaningless mumbo jumbo.

Every FF game should shoe-horn the title in somewhere. "Do you really think you can defeat me? HAha, that will be your final fantasy!"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rei_ posted:

The same theme that plays during all the fights with the Garlean officers, Steel Reason.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rei_ posted:

Looking it up if it this(Thanks Terper for the FFXIV music)
http://tindeck.com/listen/utsh

Then it's called Steel Reason

edit: beaten

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rei_ posted:

It's probably Steel Reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

It pretty clearly ties to the whole 'whoops, we forgot' thing with the orphanage. As for the why, iunno, she's a random wizard who can control time, I guess she just knows everything.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

There is no "why." Someone tought it would sound good so they shoved it in there. It would make a lot more sense and be kinda sad if the Ultimecia = Rinoa thing was real, but welp...

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's related to her whole thing about returning to a happier time and stopping the world to preserve it? Just a thought!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe it's related to her whole thing about returning to a happier time and stopping the world to preserve it? Just a thought!

But...that's not what she wanted. I realize the game may not have the best translation but:

Rinoa: "...I should tell you this before I go. I was possessed out in space. There was a sorceress inside me. Ultimecia, a sorceress from the future. She's trying to achieve time compression. She's the only one who would be able to exist in such a world. She, and no other."

There's also the quote I posted earlier from Ulty herself about destroying all existence. And if you scan her final form, it says:
"Ultimecia, transformed to absorb all time and space. Absorbing all existence as we speak."

She isn't stopping the world, she's crushing and absorbing it so that she will be the only being alive.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 3, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

The third version of the story which explains why women have the power of magic and men can't is only in the Ultimania. FFVIII's story is really, really badly told. Of course, without irony, I would play a FFVIII-2 where you hunt down Hyne.
Due to retcons in the Final Fantasy VII Extended Universe, it has been confirmed that Hyne is, in fact, Sephiroth. Strangely enough, he's also Cloud. And the Highwind's AI (the one with the sultry voice).

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy X-2 HD (International)? I've never played it before but I've heard that you can gently caress yourself over pretty badly, and that it's not worth trying to 100% it. Is there any stuff that's easily missed and are there ways to break the game?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

OK, yeah, the fairy tale thing is a given. It's the fact that it was written entirely in 5-word sentences of two-syllable words. "There was a man. He was bad. He burned little people. Some little people were kids. People like kids. So they didn't like the man. The end."

One useful bit of in-game context here is that that telling of the story is by an adult passing it on verbally to small children. It kinda makes sense that it would be simple sentences of simple words. It's not like an in-game encyclopedia entry or a book or something where you actually read the fairy tale itself. It's more of a dumbed-down paraphrase for little kids.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

But...that's not what she wanted. I realize the game may not have the best translation but:

Rinoa: "...I should tell you this before I go. I was possessed out in space. There was a sorceress inside me. Ultimecia, a sorceress from the future. She's trying to achieve time compression. She's the only one who would be able to exist in such a world. She, and no other."

There's also the quote I posted earlier from Ulty herself about destroying all existence. And if you scan her final form, it says:
"Ultimecia, transformed to absorb all time and space. Absorbing all existence as we speak."

She isn't stopping teh world, she's crushing and absorbing it so that she will be the only being alive.

She's doing both - she's reducing space to only include her, and she's reducing time to only include the single moment where she's alone and victorious.

Her last words suggest she might actually have been happy at some point, but she couldn't hold on to it against the passage of time. This fear of change is pretty much the one thing that unifies all the major characters in the game. We know from all the Ellone stuff that trying to relive the past and "fix" it is a fool's errand, so perhaps this time compression business is her way of recreating that moment of peace, and capturing it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, it reads pretty obviously to me as a statement of motivation. She's terrified of loss and presumably lost something already. By compressing the world down to one moment, she can live in it forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

She's doing both - she's reducing space to only include her, and she's reducing time to only include the single moment where she's alone and victorious.

Her last words suggest she might actually have been happy at some point, but she couldn't hold on to it against the passage of time. This fear of change is pretty much the one thing that unifies all the major characters in the game. We know from all the Ellone stuff that trying to relive the past and "fix" it is a fool's errand, so perhaps this time compression business is her way of recreating that moment of peace, and capturing it.

Huh.

That's not a bad interpretation. I certainly never thought that much with regards to Ultimecia at all. She just doesn't have a very....sympathetic personality I guess you might say. All MWAHAHAHAHAHA and kill everyone more like.

Still, I'm not against givign FFVIII its due. I for one don't think Squall is as much of an rear end in a top hat as he's portrayed as on this forum. After playing the game again, there's a surprising amount of choice and you can choose to give the douchebag response or be a nice guy. I always had Squall be cool, like joining the Garden Festival for Selphie or saying he missed Rinoa.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Vil posted:

One useful bit of in-game context here is that that telling of the story is by an adult passing it on verbally to small children. It kinda makes sense that it would be simple sentences of simple words. It's not like an in-game encyclopedia entry or a book or something where you actually read the fairy tale itself. It's more of a dumbed-down paraphrase for little kids.

I always interpreted the bits of info on Hyne to be just that: fairy tales. Nobody in FF8's world actually knows all these things for sure. Hyne doesn't necessarily exist.

Peel posted:

Yeah, it reads pretty obviously to me as a statement of motivation. She's terrified of loss and presumably lost something already. By compressing the world down to one moment, she can live in it forever.
And that something is.....SQUALL dun dun dunnnn

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 3, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Most of the villains in FFVIII just don't get a lot of time in the sun to have motivations. Adel doesn't even talk to the player so everything you know about her is that she's a brick shithouse of pure evil.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In case anybody is curious, a video of FFVIII Requiem Ultimecia boss fights. It's a little over 2 hours He used physical attacks a lot more than I did. I only ever used my attack turns to Triple Cast a spell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFsKjaXGbU

That guy is a lifesaver. Gave me a lesson in Crisis Levels. I beat her in just a little less time than he did (and it's more due to me speeding up through all the Triple Tornado's and Meteors and Great Attractor because gently caress those animations after seeing them for the zillionth time) and the fight would take even longer if I didn't have Vit 0. There are only three ways to get it in Requiem - Crisis Level 3 Acid, Crisis Level 4 Bad Breath (both Quistis Limits) and Angelo Strike. Quistis is pretty much the best in this mod as not only do two of her limits get Vit 0, her Mighty Guard is the only way to get Aura.

I probably should have remembered that instead of wasting time shoving Pain and Doom on her in order to get CL3 Acid but, hey, I still won. I just can't imagine final Ultimecia with her 900K HP and trying to take her out without Vit 0. Even with it and Mag+30% and Ultima to her Mag stat, Rinoa was only doing 8000 a hit with said Ultima.

Oh and yeah, more reasons Quistis is the best - Shockwave Pulsar. 20,000 damage. That helped a lot.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 3, 2014

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy X-2 HD (International)? I've never played it before but I've heard that you can gently caress yourself over pretty badly, and that it's not worth trying to 100% it. Is there any stuff that's easily missed and are there ways to break the game?

You can get 100% in one game but you'd definitely need a guide. Even messing up in one game if you "new game+" and choose different story branches you make up anything you miss percentage wise. Honestly just play through blind once without worrying about it and go through the second time trying to get everything. The battle system is fun but it's pretty easy to get overpowered. Only real piece of advice is that when you do the mission selects every chapter save the hot zones for last, they will advance the story (this isn't obvious).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

There is a ton of missable crap, you literally can't get it all in a single playthrough, and trying for 100% just isn't fun. I'd recommend looking up how to get all the Dresspheres because they're basically what the combat system revolves around. Getting the Mascot Dressphere specifically requires you to finish the subplot in each major game location anyway, so going for it should expose you to most of the content worth seeing while skipping out on the dumber bullshit you need for 100%. Coincidentally, the Mascot Dressphere is the most broken one in the regular version of the game so you should be getting it anyway. In the International version specifically, they nerfed out the game-breaking Cat Nip accessory, but added (among other things) the Psychic Dressphere, which can stop time, absorb all elements, and later be literally immune to damage. If for some reason you want to to break the game without using Dresspheres, you can also use the Creature Creator and just murder everything with a Tonberry.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Barudak posted:

Of course, without irony, I would play a FFVIII-2 where you hunt down Hyne.

If you could convince Squeenix that Hyne is Caius, and have Lightning team up with Squall, they might do it! :v:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Yeah I never realized that the Creature Creation thing in FFX-2 International wasn't just for an arena. It's literally the entire game.

You can fight every battle with just monsters.

Really enjoying this game, much more than the original release.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I kind of stopped digging the creature capture thing when I found out you can't control them. If you have a large monster on the field, your involvement in battles is reduced to just flicking the right stick back and forth to change agression levels and nothing else.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When going for the Dark Aeons etc in FFX, is it necessary to do stat maxing poo poo with all the characters or can I just pick three and leave the others?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pick three, ignore the rest.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

A sensation
The words from back then
As you become an adult
Even if you cling to it
And…”

See, this seems to me like an attempt to explain WHY Ultimecia is trying to compress time. It's not even a matter of her being afraid of death and disillution like a good many JRPG villains, but rather, she's torn up over the fact that your memories of childhood eventually fade, the joy and beauty you knew back then becomes weathered and worn over time. Time destroys all happiness, all joy. All things are rendered meaninglesss by time. Even planets fall, even mountains sink by time's ministrations. It is the cruelest force upon the world, crueler even than an idiot God. If time were no longer, if time was somehow compressed, then maybe, just maybe, she could remember what it was like again, to be young, to be happy and innocent and free.

Given that a major element of the plot is losing memories of childhood, I think that's a fair interpretation, although it's spoiled by the fact that Ultimecia has absolutely no backstory.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ShadeofDante posted:

Yeah I never realized that the Creature Creation thing in FFX-2 International wasn't just for an arena. It's literally the entire game.

You can fight every battle with just monsters.

Really enjoying this game, much more than the original release.

There is so much new content in this for players who only played the NA version. i'm trying to figure out the path of least resistance since i heard they nerfed catnip. so far I figured out how to get adamantite right when creature creator opens at the beginning of chapter 1, which is way cool IMO.

Dr Snofeld posted:

When going for the Dark Aeons etc in FFX, is it necessary to do stat maxing poo poo with all the characters or can I just pick three and leave the others?

If you're zanmatoing then you only need 2 buff dudes and yuna with 170 speed and you never really need to grind luck. Otherwise you need 3 max stat characters (meaning at least 130 luck); you shouldn't completely ignore the rest though and should give rikku and yuna 170 speed and auto haste for "oh poo poo" mixes or aeon meatshields.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 3, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BottledBodhisvata posted:

See, this seems to me like an attempt to explain WHY Ultimecia is trying to compress time. It's not even a matter of her being afraid of death and disillution like a good many JRPG villains, but rather, she's torn up over the fact that your memories of childhood eventually fade, the joy and beauty you knew back then becomes weathered and worn over time. Time destroys all happiness, all joy. All things are rendered meaninglesss by time. Even planets fall, even mountains sink by time's ministrations. It is the cruelest force upon the world, crueler even than an idiot God. If time were no longer, if time was somehow compressed, then maybe, just maybe, she could remember what it was like again, to be young, to be happy and innocent and free.

Given that a major element of the plot is losing memories of childhood, I think that's a fair interpretation, although it's spoiled by the fact that Ultimecia has absolutely no backstory.

See it's poo poo like this that makes me frustrated, because if you dig and think about it, FFVIII had some really good story ideas that were presented in the most vague and lovely way possible. Hell, they could have made the "oh we grew up together" twist work if there was some actual foreshadowing and buildup to it.

e: maybe I'm asking too much from a 15 year old JRPG.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

HD DAD posted:

See it's poo poo like this that makes me frustrated, because if you dig and think about it, FFVIII had some really good story ideas that were presented in the most vague and lovely way possible. Hell, they could have made the "oh we grew up together" twist work if there was some actual foreshadowing and buildup to it.

e: maybe I'm asking too much from a 15 year old JRPG.

The language divide is always going to make storytelling in video games (reliant on text) difficult. It's why Dark Souls works so well, because most of the story is shown, rather than told.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The language divide is always going to make storytelling in video games (reliant on text) difficult. It's why Dark Souls works so well, because most of the story is shown, rather than told.
Not really. The problem isn't translation/localization itself, the problem is bad translation/localization. FF8's translation was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I understood the plot just fine.

Same for FFVII.

People can say all they want about bad translation but I never once had a problem figuring out any of the story of either game, even when I was a dumb babby.

It's just that FFVIII has lovely storytelling. No amount of good translation fixes "oh look! An abandoned spaceship, just right over there, conveniently saving us from dying here in space!"

Or the whole Hyne debacle we went over yesterday.

Let's say for a moment that the translation was awful in both VII and VIII. VII is still the best selling JRPG ever and largely beloved. Why? The Materia system? The graphics? I don't think so. It's the story and characters. In short, the :awful translation" did nothing to hinder us Western fans appreciating it.

Perhaps then VII's plot has some intrinsic value or goodness that VIII lacks?

FFVIII is a really loving fun game, and Ultimecia is probably now my favorite FF final boss ever thanks to the mod, but the only things I'll defend about the story/characters are Seifer and his posse. It's a lot of really cool ideas executed in the worst way.

EDIT:

I wonder for Fujin's final speech to Seifer if the Japanese version was something like Seifer saying "we were nakama." Nakama is the word, right? Japanese for true friends or companions or whatever? I just realized I called Fujin and Raijin his posse, a word I would never otherwise use except it was used in the English version and all the translation talk has made me curious what the original script said at every point.

I read too much shounen.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 3, 2014