Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did ORC recreate the massive Tyrant fight in the place where you fought the final form of Nemesis in RE3 with the big cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Excels posted:

There's also something somewhat baffling to me about two opposing factions having identical Nemesis BOWs, even though one would assume there is only one Nemesis, and at that point in the story would it even be running around? I guess it's not fair to judge the mode from that perspective since it was just a tacked-on selling point for one version or something.

If I remember correctly the Nemesis forgot what he was doing and the point in putting all the bullets into him was to stun him enough to reprogram him or some poo poo.

Like was said the game isn't canon at all so where it all fits in the timeline doesn't matter.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did ORC recreate the massive Tyrant fight in the place where you fought the final form of Nemesis in RE3 with the big cannon?

ORC doing something cool that would require effort? No, they did not do that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The DLC campaign's Nemesis fight was much better than the Wolfpack Nemesis fight, if only because it's actually possible to solo that one.

... Still can't believe I got through that using only the knife, though. :shepicide:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is it possible to reset scenario b's in RE2 on the Gamecube? Want to go back and check something on Leon B, but my only save is right at the end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If they remake RE2, I want them to retcon Claire's college major to Urban Planning, and the whole game is just her wandering around Raccoon City, desperately trying to make sense of Umbrella's Escher-fueled nightmare zone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why does this plate have 12 holes and did that statue point in another direction yesterday? What is with all these barrels?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why does this plate have 12 holes and did that statue point in another direction yesterday? What is with all these barrels?

RE5 is like that but with labs. How the gently caress did anyone get things done in an Umbrella lab? What if you showed up late and you didn't have a buddy to simultaneously push two switches for the elevator?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Excels posted:

RE5 is like that but with labs. How the gently caress did anyone get things done in an Umbrella lab? What if you showed up late and you didn't have a buddy to simultaneously push two switches for the elevator?

Then you get volunteered for testing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

"C'mon, Claire, the only way out of the city is through the sewers."

"What? Aren't there any roads? Why do the sewers lead out of the city anyway? Shouldn't there be a treatment plant or something? Don't tell me the sewers just open up into a river somewhere!"

"I dunno, that's what this note says. Now let's head down to the basement of the Police Station, since that leads to the main sewer access."

"...What the gently caress?!"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That makes more sense than finding a mansion in the woods that is a front for a bioengineering lab, but is actually not the ONLY mansion in those same woods operating as a front for a bioengineering lab.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crowetron posted:

"What? Aren't there any roads? Why do the sewers lead out of the city anyway? Shouldn't there be a treatment plant or something? Don't tell me the sewers just open up into a river somewhere!"

"I dunno, that's what this note says. Now let's head down to the basement of the Police Station, since that leads to the main sewer access."

Raccoon City's developers were strong believers in multitasking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you need to work on the sewers you have to get the police to come and shut down the road. If the main sewer access is in the police station then nobody has to get inconvenienced. Its win-win for everyone.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Crowetron posted:

Hey the sewage treatment plant was right behind the police station/partially in the basement! Ada and Sherry ran through there for a fetch quest. :colbert:

I mean it's normal to have a raw sewage treatment plant smack in the middle of downtown, right?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

People in Raccoon City were also very fond of building everything out of Explodium.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Claire Redfield stands on a bridge that only serves to connect one spooky mansion to a second, larger and spookier mansion on a prison island owned by a pharmaceutical company and wonders how her life came to this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lotish posted:

Raccoon City's developers were strong believers in multitasking.

I think the problem is Raccoon City is located in the "midwest." If it was a not so far out there or say in a major city on the east coast it would actually be plausible to have weird sewer entrances, labs build in gutted old mansions, etc. The old police station near where I grew up was very similar to the one in RE2 because the building used to be a school that was build in 1920. Doctor's office is just some dude's Victorian home, all kinds of buildings with weird shared basements and utilities and rooms built on top of each other, it's not unusual at all, just weird for a middle of nowhere suburb with a population of 100,000 people.

You go further out west you get stuff that's more spaced out/build more recently so it always strained it for me. Especially because of the decidedly urban look they went for with RE2/3.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the problem is Raccoon City is located in the "midwest." If it was a not so far out there or say in a major city on the east coast it would actually be plausible to have weird sewer entrances, labs build in gutted old mansions, etc. The old police station near where I grew up was very similar to the one in RE2 because the building used to be a school that was build in 1920. Doctor's office is just some dude's Victorian home, all kinds of buildings with weird shared basements and utilities and rooms built on top of each other, it's not unusual at all, just weird for a middle of nowhere suburb with a population of 100,000 people.

You go further out west you get stuff that's more spaced out/build more recently so it always strained it for me. Especially because of the decidedly urban look they went for with RE2/3.

Further evidence that Raccoon City is actually smack dab in the middle of New York City.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have never had any problem beating Nemesis solo. He mainly stays on the ground floor, and as long as you are in cover, he can't really hit you. He is however a bullet sponge. I do have a fond place in my heart for ORC, because despite it being rough around the edges, I still manage to have quite a bit of fun with it.

Also, hey, lets hire this guy to develop a mansion full of traps, then trap him and kill him and experiment on his family. Spencer was just insane.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 2, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Excels posted:

People in Raccoon City were also very fond of building everything out of Explodium.

On a related note, if Umbrella were ever serious about killing people, they'd just need to build a facility without a self-destruct.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On a related note, if Umbrella were ever serious about killing people, they'd just need to build a facility without a self-destruct.

Isn't facility just "planet earth"?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

Isn't facility just "planet earth"?

Or if we're talking about the awful movie canon, it's actually just a perfectly detailed virtual city that Umbrella uses to... uh, test weapons to use on the already-destroyed real Earth.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My favorite part of the canon is how Umbrella threw away pharmaceutical profits that could have let them buy the world if they wanted, to make experimental viruses in an attempt to create supersoldiers.

These ubermensch perfect beings eventually got made, only to die to a single person shooting them 5-6 times with a magnum/grenade launcher, or once with a rocket launcher. You know, basic weapons the US military would have no problems using.

Even after it all went bad, and the government started cracking down on them, they kept their labs going. That's persistence.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rookersh posted:

My favorite part of the canon is how Umbrella threw away pharmaceutical profits that could have let them buy the world if they wanted, to make experimental viruses in an attempt to create supersoldiers.

These ubermensch perfect beings eventually got made, only to die to a single person shooting them 5-6 times with a magnum/grenade launcher, or once with a rocket launcher. You know, basic weapons the US military would have no problems using.

Even after it all went bad, and the government started cracking down on them, they kept their labs going. That's persistence.

I did like that they explained it because the guy behind the company was a wizened old man who wanted to be a god. Or at least they did in RE5's flashbacks--I don't know what's going on anymore.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Rookersh posted:

They actually made more labs after Umbrella died.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Rookersh posted:

The funny thing is that in Umbrella Chronicles, Umbrella documents say that the Tyrants were extremely effective, able to counter a single division (10,000) of soldiers, but couldn't stand up to attack helicopters. As a solution, they started the T.A.L.O.S. project, which is basically a Tyrant with a big loving rocket launcher. Of course at the end of the game, two people with small arms manage to kill it anyway.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The funny thing is that in Umbrella Chronicles, Umbrella documents say that the Tyrants were extremely effective, able to counter a single division (10,000) of soldiers, but couldn't stand up to attack helicopters. As a solution, they started the T.A.L.O.S. project, which is basically a Tyrant with a big loving rocket launcher. Of course at the end of the game, two people with small arms manage to kill it anyway.

Rocket Launchers are the most powerful things in existence in the Resident Evil universe. Old Testament God could descend from the heavens making GBS threads out fire and brimstone smiting and flooding the land and some motherfucker could come along with a rocket launcher and he'd go down like a BITCH!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, the problem is that Umbrella was owned by a guy who was a billionaire when he started, so the profits were nice but weren't the point. He had this whole thing going on, but it didn't work out for him basically because he got too loving old to pursue it any longer.

I like that, actually. It's not that somebody thwarted him or it didn't work or he got eaten by his own creations; he just had to stop his experiments because he was 80 and confined to a wheelchair.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

To be fair, the original prototype gets killed relatively easily, but the one in RE2 survives full-body immersion in a vat of molten metal and the one in Code Veronica might not even be dead. Then you come to Damnation and the one Leon fights is basically equal to a tank.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does lava ever work on those things? Everything that fell in them manages to jump out and dropping crap on them only causes them to mutate into a fire beast. Acid seems to work and it is a wonder no one takes it with them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does lava ever work on those things? Everything that fell in them manages to jump out and dropping crap on them only causes them to mutate into a fire beast. Acid seems to work and it is a wonder no one takes it with them.

Lava in Resident Evil, like the films it copies, is not hot. Its more of a refreshing scrubbing bubble than superheated metal and stone.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is that why Wesker had to be both submerged in lava and shot by missiles? Only to come back in 7?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Barudak posted:

Lava in Resident Evil, like the films it copies, is not hot. Its more of a refreshing scrubbing bubble than superheated metal and stone.

Also those hollow rocks that people can punch around those rivers of lava? Those are rubber ducks to men like Chris.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just unlocked Hunk's scenario in RE2 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed, even though I had no trouble with the main game. Anyone have any advice?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just unlocked Hunk's scenario in RE2 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed, even though I had no trouble with the main game. Anyone have any advice?

I beat it years ago and it's basically about working out a specific plan for each room. As in the main game, it's sometimes useful to take the hit and move on by, particularly since Hunk has a lot of health, and IIRC, you really need to save at least a couple of shotgun shells for Irons's waiting room on the second floor.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scalding Coffee posted:

Acid seems to work and it is a wonder no one takes it with them.

Oh yeah, like that big vat of acid in which Nemesis was submerged at the dead factory. Yeah that took him down for good and totally didn't remove its last limiters for the final fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember in Resident Evil 2 that I never turned on the anti BOW gas because it causes the plants to be poisonous, which is a pain in the rear end on Scenario B.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I remember in Resident Evil 2 that I never turned on the anti BOW gas because it causes the plants to be poisonous, which is a pain in the rear end on Scenario B.

It does? I've always turned in on but never actually knew what it's for. Does it even have any positive effects?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

John Luebke posted:

It does? I've always turned in on but never actually knew what it's for. Does it even have any positive effects?

It weakens the plant men in the A scenario but once you play the B scenario with that file they will be poisonous, so you should only turn it on in the B scenario.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

blackguy32 posted:

As someone who hasn't played RE2, does the game have a lot of choices like that, where actions taken in the A scenario will mess with stuff in the B scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Geight posted:

As someone who hasn't played RE2, does the game have a lot of choices like that, where actions taken in the A scenario will mess with stuff in the B scenario?

Very few, the most noticable is the weapons locker where you'll find a sidebag to carry more items and a machinegun. You can take either one of them or even both and the one you do pick in Scenario A will be gone from scenario B. (All other item pickups have no relation between scenarios.)

You get to choose to close the shutters in one of two rooms and at a certain point during the game a bunch of Zombies will enter the room that you didn't seal off.

In scenario B the shutter mechanism in the room that you DID seal off will break and zombies now enter that room. If you haven't sealed off any of the rooms in Scenario A zombies enter both rooms in both scenarios.

Then there's the stuff with the B.O.W gas that I didn't really know about either.

There's a character that turns into a zombie during scenario A, if you don't kill him then he still wanders around in scenario B but he still acts like a regular zombie enemy, so there's not really any point to that.

There's a room in the laboratory that you can only enter in scenario B if you've registered your fingerprints with your other character in scenario A.

And...I think that's pretty much it.