Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
More for the "Things that having to say them out loud weakens them" file:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/29/us-ukraine-crisis-kerry-idUSBREA3S0X520140429

quote:

(Reuters) - The United States said on Tuesday Washington and its allies would stand united in their support of Ukraine, while warning Russia that NATO territory was inviolable and the alliance would defend every piece of it.

"Today Russia seeks to change the security landscape of Eastern and Central Europe," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in a speech in Washington referring to Russia's occupation of Crimea and the threat it posed to eastern Ukraine.

"Whatever path they (Russia) choose, I can guarantee this: the United States and our allies will stand together in support of Ukraine," Kerry said.

"And most important, together we have to make it absolutely clear to the Kremlin that NATO territory is inviolable. We will defend every single piece of it," he added.

"Article V of the NATO treaty must mean something, and our allies on the frontline need and deserve no less," Kerry said, referring to the NATO agreement that any attack on one member is an attack on all.

I don't think I posted yet this analysis that Latvia is the likely first Article V domino to get hit if this 'ethnic seperatist' tack works in Ukraine:
http://www.eesti.ca/does-putin-plan-to-test-nato-in-latvia/article41984

quote:

That test would not necessarily take the form of an attempt to seize a portion of Latvia or force Riga to withdraw from the alliance, although some in Moscow might like to do either or both of these things. Instead, it could involve creating the kind of social and political instability that no defense alliance is designed to block and thus call its utility into question among some.

There are at least three reasons for concern on this point. First, Latvia’s demography and economy would seem to provide Moscow with opportunities. More than half of the population is Russian-speaking, a third is ethnically Russian, a slightly smaller share is made up of non-citizens, and there are tens of thousands of retired Soviet officers.

Moreover, the ethnic Russians and non-citizens are concentrated in the largest cities, where they have pluralities or even majorities, and Russian business interests form a disproportionate share of the economy, at least potentially giving Moscow levers it could deploy against the Latvian authorities.

Second, there is the longstanding problem of Latgale, a region in the southeast adjoining the Russian border most of whose population speaks what it believes is a distinct language as well as Russian, is much poorer than other regions of the country, and views itself as neglected.

And third, some Latvians have been expressing concern about the state of Latvia’s defense forces, noting that it has had trouble maintaining troop levels, has had to take many men from Latgale whose loyalty may be divided, and has in recent years lost many of its officers to retirement or resignation.

Concerns about each of these have intensified since the Russian Anschluss of Crimea, especially given Moscow’s actions regarding Latvia itself. Russian television had become so bombastic and anti-Latvian that Riga felt compelled to block Moscow channels lest they mobilize Russian speakers against it.
While few question that NATO would respond to an overt Russian military move into Latvia or any other NATO member country, the Western defense alliance is not designed to counter the kind of subversion that Moscow has already used in Ukraine and that it could deploy in Latvia to undermine that country’s independence and test the alliance as well.

Kerry also talks about the NATO 2% GDP defense spending figure:

quote:

In a call to NATO members, Kerry said it was time for allies whose spending was below the NATO benchmark of 2 percent of GDP to make "credible commitments" to increase their spending over the next five years.

I've seen this mentioned before as both a 'guideline' and a 'requirement' but googling around I've never been able to find any direct text for it, only references. Of course it means dick and squat strategically if Lower Elbonia spends the extra fifty bucks to bring their defense spend up from 1.5% to 2.0%, and we're talking about the same gaggle of countries that's supposed to be making "credible commitments" to reducing their national debt burdens, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

tell that to vilerat

*drops mic*

supreme dusting

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

tell that to vilerat

*drops mic*

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

tell that to vilerat

*drops mic*

:drat:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

tell that to vilerat

*drops mic*

:stare: ...wow. Almost forgot about that. :smith:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVuG3x4vxg

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There was an Iraq war in the 20th century. She's not referring to it, but I could see how someone might get confused.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
also i'm fairly sure that neither iraq war would qualify as the most catastrophic war of the 20th century

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

also i'm fairly sure that neither iraq war would qualify as the most catastrophic war of the 20th century

History is hard, man.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's also a little early (and presumptuous) to call the most catastrophic war of the 21st century.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Did she even wikipedia any of these conflicts before the hearing?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

Did she even wikipedia any of these conflicts before the hearing?

her intern probably did, and took some lovely notes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

her intern probably did, and took some lovely notes

Probably took great notes, but you know...Wikipedia.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

More news on the Phoenix VA debacle. The video is worth watching just to see the Director of the Phoenix VA speeding away from CNN cameras in her Mercedes coupe with Federal Police yelling at them to get off the property.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

There was an impressive amount of words pronounced incorrectly in such a short clip. Quite an accomplishment.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Probably took great notes, but you know...Wikipedia.

I wish wikipedia were always right, then I could edit it and change reality.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I would just delete everything if that were the case.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

revisionist history itt

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mortabis posted:

You just wrote the plot summary for the next big horror movie. Call it "Citation Needed".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Mad Dragon posted:

You just wrote the plot summary for the next big horror movie. Call it "Citation Needed".

Starring Ashton Kutcher.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/462152271955230720

lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

They're so bitter, jeez

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

In defence of the separatists, RT News photo-analysis clearly demonstrates that the helicopter was actually a German homosexual in heavy disguise.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jonad posted:

In defence of the separatists, RT News photo-analysis clearly demonstrates that the helicopter was actually a German homosexual in heavy disguise.

They do seem to have their priorities

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
:siren: 31 pro-russian separatists burned to death in east ukraine:siren:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Huh, my may day commie burning prediction came true.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And in Slovjansk it looks like there is some serious business, no foolin around, shootouts going. Including helicopters getting shot down and all that jazz. Are we taking bets on when Putin decides to send in the 'peacekeepers' yet?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Honestly my guess was a few days ago.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

Honestly my guess was a few days ago.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I thought it was going to happen right before Biden visited but it didn't pan out then.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Courthouse posted:

Are we taking bets on when Putin decides to send in the 'peacekeepers' yet?
I figure he gives it a respectable ~48 hours, probably until early Monday morn when most Americans are asleep.

Comedy answer: Putin, in his wisdom, had already deployed Spetznaz to E. Ukraine in anticipation of such a calamity.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I figure he gives it a respectable ~48 hours, probably until early Monday morn when most Americans are asleep.

Comedy answer: Putin, in his wisdom, had already deployed Spetznaz to E. Ukraine in anticipation of such a calamity.

I don't think your comedy option is so much "funny" as it is "dead-the-gently caress-on accurate".

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yeah, I thought the common opinion was that Spetznaz or other Russian spook types were already in E. Ukraine, it was just a question of a) how many and b) when they decided to sort of come out into the open.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, I thought the common opinion was that Spetznaz or other Russian spook types were already in E. Ukraine, it was just a question of a) how many and b) when they decided to sort of come out into the open.

Pretty much, b) is what we're taking bets on.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Don't we have our own batch of spooks who specialize in doing shady poo poo in other countries back yards?

Can anyone take a stab at what we might do, even just to piss in their cheerios?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Intel5 posted:

Don't we have our own batch of spooks who specialize in doing shady poo poo in other countries back yards?

Can anyone take a stab at what we might do, even just to piss in their cheerios?

ahaha this is a public forum so you're not gonna get any specifics whatsoever, even if anyone in here knew about it.

polpot saved asia
Aug 28, 2011

orange juche posted:

ahaha this is a public forum so you're not gonna get any specifics whatsoever, even if anyone in here knew about it.

we know we just aint saying anything.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Intel5 posted:

the president is only one guy man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

genderstomper58 posted:

the president is only one guy man

:lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread