Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was surprised that Gates got put in the lol joke villain bag along with Beck, after the things he did in the anime.

Well, Timp was a rear end in a top hat murderer and he ended up there too. It seems to be based more on how wacky you are instead of how terrible you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Timp was a rear end in a top hat murderer and he ended up there too. It seems to be based more on how wacky you are instead of how terrible you are.
But he murdered Jiron's family like an ETERNITY ago. Can't you just get over it already?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The second-to-last stage in SRWZ3.2 needs to be all the joke villains holding off the enemy so the actual heroes can face the final boss, sort of like that one stage on the Z special disk.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

Oh, god, is that the project this YJ clown signed on to? Abort. Abort now.

And dear lord, don't crowdsource translation. Z is a large, coherent body of work that needs a lot of integration and context at every step, not to mention a good team of writers with a grasp of style. YJ has none of these things. I've seen his work on Z3 (what there was of it), he has basically no Japanese comprehension at all, let alone a fraction of the ability to manage a translation project of this size, scope, and complexity.

For the record, I personally would not set out to do Z3. (This is partly because I'm not done with it and I would want to play the hell out of it, and the other Z games, in preparation to understand all the plots' points and vectors before I even thought of putting words to paper.)

e: if I had to crowdsource a text-heavy RPG I really liked for some reason, I sure wouldn't choose GameFAQs as my talent pool. I remember being the kind of kid who hung out on GameFAQs. I wouldn't trust that guy within five miles of a translation project.

Hrm, really? I don't know who YJ is, mind.

But I see that you've a point that the translation has been all over the place as I've just checked some of the other missions that are being translated - there are a decent bunch of lines whose translation ranges range from "not very good" to "flat-out wrong" and all the way to "Google Translated".

Either way, my main focus is still Z1 so I didn't dabble much into this yet. I was hoping this would eventually turn into something cohesive, though...Oh, well.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

I don't think people want all the nuances and gritty details of the story. If they are like me they just like having a general idea of what's going and who is saying what to who.

This is horrible logic. Don't encourage people to halfass something for free attention and internet points just because you personally are willing to accept low-to-nonexistent standards. This is how lovely translations propagate across the Internet and drown out the more serious efforts by sheer numbers and first posts alone.

Edit: Also, "a general idea" is not the same as "who is saying what to who". If an accurate translation of what is being said counts as "gritty details" to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was surprised that Gates got put in the lol joke villain bag along with Beck, after the things he did in the anime.

Kan Yu is an accessory to Fyana's death and is a huge opportunist/backstabber/murderer and he's there too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not that I would want to imply that there is any sort of depth or subtlety to the writing in these games, but they do love to drop hints and references to various side material or shows that aren't licensed in the game. A good chunk of the meaning behind the text would probably be lost if you don't get the translation right.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've found myself wishing that I could translate as I went along while playing Z3. If someone happens to have access to a script dump, I would love to play around with it.

Wow, though. I'm looking at that crowdsourced Z3 translation.

"I was for sure protecting Nanally-sama… But for some reason, I couldn't resist on handing over Nanally-sama to the intruder."
"There's such powers exist…?"
"Those who swinging the earth and colony. And handed over the two Foreign Vice-Minister who represent peace…"

Conclusion: Caphy was not kidding.

Edit: Your translation project might have issues when these are your "useful resource" links.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 3, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I've found myself wishing that I could translate as I went along while playing Z3. If someone happens to have access to a script dump, I would love to play around with it.

Wow, though. I'm looking at that crowdsourced Z3 translation.

"I was for sure protecting Nanally-sama… But for some reason, I couldn't resist on handing over Nanally-sama to the intruder."
"There's such powers exist…?"
"Those who swinging the earth and colony. And handed over the two Foreign Vice-Minister who represent peace…"

Conclusion: Caphy was not kidding.

Yeah, unfortunately. A large portion of the "translated" lines seem to have been run through Google Translator and someone assumed that was good enough.

The idea itself isn't bad but giving unrestricted access for anyone to get in there and start adding stuff just made it, at best, disjointed and, at worst, nonsensical.

On the subject of a script dump, Nico has plenty of videos going through the missions and you can see the kanji clearly if you full screen it (that's what I do when I'm looking for specific lines and other stuff).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I did translating from a TV screen for Alpha 2 and I don't think I can go back to that method again. Having the raw text is so much more empowering than squinting and hoping you get a kanji right. I was just hoping someone happened to have access to tools that could produce that.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I did translating from a TV screen for Alpha 2 and I don't think I can go back to that method again. Having the raw text is so much more empowering than squinting and hoping you get a kanji right. I was just hoping someone happened to have access to tools that could produce that.

Hmmmm...I'd love to find something like that too (it'd be amazingly helpful for Z1), but I don't think there are scripts for any of the Z games.

vvvv Edit: Indeed and that's why there are so few of them. Didn't we only get an Alpha 3 script a few years ago?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've heard it is ridiculously hard to script dump SRW games.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here's another couple BGMs:

Mommy's getting upset!

Z3.1's main theme.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, it had to start somewhere. Someone on /m/ put up the pre-battle dialogue for Full Frontal vs. Bonta-kun.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, it had to start somewhere. Someone on /m/ put up the pre-battle dialogue for Full Frontal vs. Bonta-kun.

"You, the one inside that thing. Do you claim that having a will makes you different from me?"
"Fumo!"
"But you're launching in that thing because someone wanted you to, just as I am the embodiment of the desires of the Spacenoids. We're alike, you and I."

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

"You, the one inside that thing. Do you claim that having a will makes you different from me?"
"Fumo!"
"But you're launching in that thing because someone wanted you to, just as I am the embodiment of the desires of the Spacenoids. We're alike, you and I."

Bonta-kun's the embodiment of fluff, you tosser!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

"Fumo!"

Bonta-Kun is the embodiment of the desires of the Jindai High School students. A tiny, fuzzy vessel.:allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Bonta-Kun is the embodiment of the desires of the Jindai High School students. A tiny, fuzzy vessel.:allears:
A tiny, fuzzy vessel of destruction, you mean.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

A tiny, fuzzy vessel of destruction, you mean.

Well yeah, some of Sousuke and Kaname's classmates are just a little bonkers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh man this ace bonus for Four is amazing, and adorable :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Oh man this ace bonus for Four is amazing, and adorable :allears:

That make me smile so hard, seriously.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Four Murasame is in the game??

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So is Kamille

More interestingly, has there even been a SRW game that had Zeta gundam and not Four? Maybe Z2? I really can't remember.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 3, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Did anybody unlock the Byalant Custom ? How does it hold up?

^^^ I'm pretty sure she wasn't in Z2.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Rascyc posted:

So is Kamille

More interestingly, has there even been a SRW game that had Zeta gundam and not Four? Maybe Z2? I really can't remember.

Off the top of my head, I don't think MX had her either.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rascyc posted:

So is Kamille

Z2, and I don't recall her being in MX but I may be wrong since I'm only half done. The only two Zeta reps I've encountered so far are Kamille and Quattro in the Dijeh SE-R (it's just as glorious as I was hoping...) and the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think they also have the same VA, too, so that probably helps??

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rascyc posted:

So is Kamille

In D she is dead by the start of the story and is part of the waverider crash animation.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

TARDISman posted:

Z2, and I don't recall her being in MX but I may be wrong since I'm only half done. The only two Zeta reps I've encountered so far are Kamille and Quattro in the Dijeh SE-R (it's just as glorious as I was hoping...) and the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.

Nope Kamille and Quattro are all you get from Zeta. Since it and ZZ are post season everyone else pretty much died like in canon, minus the Purus.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Nope Kamille and Quattro are all you get from Zeta. Since it and ZZ are post season everyone else pretty much died like in canon, minus the Purus.

I'm super lost in MX, in other games I've been able to feel my way through it since I know the shows well enough but the only shows that I know in MX that are still going are Eva and G Gundam. I know the basic plot of Zeorymer off of J but it's being handled pretty differently since most stages with the Hakkeshu robots are just "Avoid it for a while and Masaki will deal with it."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GimmickMan posted:

In D she is dead by the start of the story and is part of the waverider crash animation.
Man SRW D was truly one of the more unique SRWs.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

To expand on this, she's part of Kamille's waverider crash animation. Judau gets the Purus and Char/Amuro get Lalah for the Nu's/Hi-Nu's funnels.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I'm super lost in MX, in other games I've been able to feel my way through it since I know the shows well enough but the only shows that I know in MX that are still going are Eva and G Gundam. I know the basic plot of Zeorymer off of J but it's being handled pretty differently since most stages with the Hakkeshu robots are just "Avoid it for a while and Masaki will deal with it."

What you need to know about Zeorymer's anime plot is this:

As for MX, I reckon there's always the MNeidengard summary to give you an easy way to understand what's going on.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

TARDISman posted:

The plots that you go through in MX are Eva, Rahxephon, Dendoh, Dragonar, Zeorymer, Grendizer and Machine Robo a bit. They handle them pretty well by pairing them off with similar series like Eva and Rahxephon and Gundam and Dragonar. And that's pretty much Zeorymer's plot, they show up and Masaki shows up and nukes them.

MX is good though if you keep going, and is pretty breakable as long as you're not playing the PSP version like I did. I also got kicks out of all the Sailor Moon jokes in the game too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The plots that you go through in MX are Eva, Rahxephon, Dendoh, Dragonar, Zeorymer, Grendizer and Machine Robo a bit. They handle them pretty well by pairing them off with similar series like Eva and Rahxephon and Gundam and Dragonar. And that's pretty much Zeorymer's plot, they show up and Masaki shows up and nukes them.

MX is good though if you keep going, and is pretty breakable as long as you're not playing the PSP version like I did. I also got kicks out of all the Sailor Moon jokes in the game too.

I am playing the PSP version. :negative:
I mean it's not horribly difficult but based off the guide I'm using, 75% of the bosses who run off got an HP boost that makes it impossible to kill the.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

TARDISman posted:

I am playing the PSP version. :negative:
I mean it's not horribly difficult but based off the guide I'm using, 75% of the bosses who run off got an HP boost that makes it impossible to kill the.

Honestly the PSP version is still pretty easy...until stage 53 or 54. Then the HP boost to the bosses pretty much fucks you over hard if you aren't ready for it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

What you need to know about Zeorymer's anime plot is this:

As for MX, I reckon there's always the MNeidengard summary to give you an easy way to understand what's going on.

There will never be a time where I don't smile at that image.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oh Snapple! posted:

There will never be a time where I don't smile at that image.
It's rare to have an anime protagonist who knows just how awesome he is.

...unfortunately that's only an alternate personality of the actual protagonist, who is the usual deal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's rare to have an anime protagonist who knows just how awesome he is.

...unfortunately that's only an alternate personality of the actual protagonist, who is the usual deal.

"Sadistic Sociopathic Murdering Megalomaniac who delights in torturing the broken people he helped create in a way akin to pulling the wings off butterflies" is not what I would class as "awesome". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Let's be fair, he usually blows them up too quickly for it to be classified as 'torture.'

• Locked thread