Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, my priority for trail food is caloric density. Things like nut butters (almond butter is my favorite), trail mix, meal bars, dried fruit, hard cuts of deli meat like salami and pepperoni, olive oil, etc. you can easily get 3,000-5,000 calories a day with only carrying 1-1.5 lbs of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

no_shit_columbo posted:

Similarly, rolled oats and protein powder is something you should never do. ever.

Why not? Protein powder and powdered oats is what I have for lazy-breakfast on a normal day. Sounds like an awesomely convenient meal when out in the wild.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

What i thought would be a delicious concoction to give me protein and fiber, came out as a lumpy mixture of luke-warm goop.

I tossed it out and went for coffee instead.

Although I'm sure it can work, I just suck in general.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I like to pack dark chocolate covered espresso beans as a coffee substitute and general pick-me-up snack. 160 cal/oz isn't too shabby either.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We used to dehydrate meals and came to the realization that buying some Mountain House freeze dried stuff is way easier. A meal for 2 is about $6-8 and we may spend 10 days a year at most in the back country. So we do that for dinner and for breakfast we just do oats and dried fruit. For lunch we make our own trail mix and that is typically good enough. Just have some jerky and nature valley bars to supplement.

If I was to do a long 10+ day trip I don't think this would be my approach though. 2-3 nights though, meh it is easy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I'm starting food planning for the JMT, I'd certainly like to keep the weight down to 1-1.5 lbs per day, gonna have to experiment

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

For a pretty decent dinner, make ramen, then mix in instant mashed potatoes to soak up the excess water, then mix in cheese and spam and whatever other foods you've got.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kaal posted:

For your first day out on the trail, a cucumber is a delicious and very packable meal for lunch. Get those fresh veggies while you can!
Cucumbers are a pretty annoying way to carry water.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wingless posted:

Why not? Protein powder and powdered oats is what I have for lazy-breakfast on a normal day. Sounds like an awesomely convenient meal when out in the wild.

I used to mix it together but it's insanely hard to clean. Same with just shaking the protein powder in a water bottle. And the powder takes up a lot of space, honestly.

I just make huge amounts of beef jerky now. Problem with that is the salt makes me super thirsty.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

no_shit_columbo posted:

What i thought would be a delicious concoction to give me protein and fiber, came out as a lumpy mixture of luke-warm goop.

I tossed it out and went for coffee instead.

Although I'm sure it can work, I just suck in general.

Lumpy concoction of lukewarm goop is an accurate description of just about all "hot cereals"

Just gotta be used to it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of lukewarm goop, does anyone practice the no stove method of food prep? I keep reading about PCT hikers using an empty peanut butter jar to mix room temp water and their dehydrated food of choice and just letting it slosh around for an hour or so in their pack before stopping to eat/sleep.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Saint Fu posted:

Speaking of lukewarm goop, does anyone practice the no stove method of food prep? I keep reading about PCT hikers using an empty peanut butter jar to mix room temp water and their dehydrated food of choice and just letting it slosh around for an hour or so in their pack before stopping to eat/sleep.

This is what we do to rehydrate our food. Then cook it up on the stove and good to go.

Clarify we rehydrate and still cook it. Hot meals are key.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 2, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd be tempted to go stoveless except I loving love a hot meal and hot coffee in the morning.

e: I think a lot of other stoveless people just take food they don't even have to mix and just shovel handfuls into their mouth like trail mix

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Get a smaller stove.

Problem solved.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mine weighs 2.3 oz :colbert:

Could go esbit or alcohol but nah

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does that include the gas canister, wind screen, and pot? If so, drat I may need to reconsider.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I wish. No that's just the stove, seems to be one of the lighter ones out there. The snow peak litemax is a bit lighter. e: I have the Soto OD-1RX. Don't have a ton of miles on it yet though but so far I haven't had any issues with it.

I think if I wanted real light weight but hot food I'd get an esbit stove (about half an oz for the stove and another half oz per fuel square) and then a real lightweight 600ml mug that I could cook in (probably could get something around 3 oz, that's what the snow peak 600ml weighs)

I'm mainly planning for two people so I consider some of the weight I"m carrying distributed, but I might consider the above setup if I was going solo

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 2, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'll be solo for about half of my hike. Plus I'm hoping to spend some time around sunrise and sunset on photography rather than cooking. I may report back in September that it was the worst idea ever though. We'll see!

E: still 2.3 oz for a stove, pretty impressive

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Instant couscous with tuna or salmon. Add in some sun dried tomatoes and a table spoon of olive oil. Toss in some grated or shredded parmesean. Serve in pita bread.

Another favorite is loaded mashed potatoes. Take some instant mashed potatoes, add jerky, cheese, ranch flavored tuna (or just use ranch dressing mix).

Lastly, Knorr instant rices and pastas are your best bet to use as bases for preparing a calorie dense backpacking meal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So here is my updated gear list, a sub 15lbs mostly budget friendly setup. I could get the weight down a good 5 lbs more if I upgrade my shelter/sleeping bag combo, but I'm pretty happy and comfortable with this. Anyone see anything I could change?

http://lighterpack.com/r/chu3cw

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 3, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
What kind of hike are you planning to go on? Everything is relative depending on where you are going and during what season, not to mention how long.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Probably week long trips at most with that pack. I couldn't fit more than 5-6 lbs of food right now. Southern Appalachian mostly.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
For breakfast, I'm pretty sold on just getting up and get going in the morning (I am totally NOT a morning person). Last trip I took some of those Little Debbie donut sticks and some bacon jerky. When you get up and have breakfast on the trail, that was way better than the usual Pop Tarts, and really helps make breakfast better when I'm going stoveless.

Bottom Liner posted:

So here is my updated gear list, a sub 15lbs mostly budget friendly setup. I could get the weight down a good 5 lbs more if I upgrade my shelter/sleeping bag combo, but I'm pretty happy and comfortable with this. Anyone see anything I could change?

http://lighterpack.com/r/chu3cw
Your tent and sleeping bag are pretty heavy, but they're also expensive to replace unless you just skip straight to a tarp so :shrug:. You may be able to do away with the tent footprint, I've never found those useful, even when I was in Washington and it was wet as hell.

Some nitpicks:
-I'd get rid of the altoids tin and dry sack for your hygiene gear and just use a Ziploc freezer bag (quality name brand, etc. etc.)
-My backup fire source is a few waterproof matches and a piece of cotton ball + vaseline + foil. If the magnesium starter is basically a flint & tinder, you might find that an easier way of starting an emergency fire
-On the 3-piece cookset, if that has a pan or something that you don't actually plan to use, leave that piece at home
-A knife and multitool seems redundant, and something like the little tiny Swiss Army knife works fine, unless you need an extra tent stake or something, in which case take a Ka-bar or ghurka knife or whatever the cool kids are using these days
-7 oz of bug spray is a lot, if this is a liquid, you can decant this into something like a .3 to 1 oz bottle
-I don't know how much time you plan to spend chilling at camp, but the Nook could probably be left at home for the Kindle. I say this having taken my Kindle many times so I'm kind of a hypocrite here
-What are the battery pack and phone cable for? If you don't use these often, I'd just leave them in the car
-Instead of a hydration bladder, consider a pair of Gatorade bottles, and save like 12 ounces. This also gives you water sources in case one springs a leak

Now to add weight:
-I don't see a first aid kit here--some gauze, tiny bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and athletic tape or duct tape, ibuprofen, emergency spare water treatment tablets and immodium will get you through quite a bit
-Carry about 3 feet of duct tape and a couple safety pins, which will repair about 90% of whatever breaks. The remaining 10% is what's actually going to break
-I highly recommend bringing a knit hat or balaclava, gloves, and some thick socks for warmth (usually these are for sleeping in, but also emergency clothes if you run into abnormal weather)
-What is your sleeping pad? This is a really important part of your sleep system
-Take a giant trash compactor bag or heavy duty contractor bag, and put that in your pack before packing everything, then roll up the top to keep it dry in any conditions

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for the look over, some good ideas. A lot of the issues you raise are my fualt for not formatting my list better, but I'll answer your concerns best as I can.

-Altoids tin is my first aid kit, and has duct tape wrapped around it. The tin is inside the drysack and the toiletries are in a ziploc baggie with it. I should list it better.
-I have some lint/vasoline in there with the magnesium starter, works great.
-Cookset is 2 piece: stove and pot. For shorter trips I don't take it and just eat trail mix and bars.
-The multitool is really basic, one of those credit card things. I really only use it for the can opener, and it weighs as little as military style can openers.
-Bug spray definitely needs to be downsized.
-Nook isn't a tablet, it's an ereader like a kindle. It helps me go to sleep much faster more than I actually use it for entertainment, haha.
-Battery pack and phone cable are for recharging phone. I take a lot of pics and like to have an emergency battery just in case.
-Might try out gatorade bottles, that would save a lot of weight.
-I definitely plan ahead for weather more specifically, but for most local trips this is all I take besides what I wear.
-Completely forgot sleeping pad, it's rolled up in tent, forgot that when I weighed it. It's a Neoair Trekker.
-Ground sheet is to protect tent more than keep dry, but I'll redo my whole sleep system for a tarp and bug net eventually.
-Trash bag is in pack, haven't been able to find a compactor bag yet.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
After several years of rocking a mini Trangia, I have become sick to death of waiting 10 minutes for water to boil at altitude and finally realized that for trips longer than two days the weight savings are negligible compared to a canister stove. Thus, I'm picking up an Optimus Crux LPG burner, and relegating the Trangia to overseas trips. I'm new to these, can you use them with any old canister or only the Optimus branded ones?

Also, a shout out for Enlightened Equipment. I picked up a 0c/30f Enigma and this thing is frickin' amazing! It's like having a feather on top of you it weighs so little (15oz), but you are absurdly toasty. I can even use it as an overbag for my 10* mummy if I know I'm going somewhere colder than usual, though going back to the restriction of a mummy bag after using a quilt like this is suffocating.

Since we're sharing lists, here's my spring & summer setup right now:
http://lighterpack.com/r/89oflg

The only change I'm thinking of making is picking up a TarpTent Moment to replace the hammock, as I am sick of sleeping on the ground with it draped over me whenever I am in the alpine. :colbert:

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 3, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Doesn't answer your question but I have an opimus nova stove and it is pretty kick rear end. Had it for six years now.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I use a cat food can with some holes in it. Cost me $.75, weighs nothing. With only two exceptions, all my trips have been less than three days, so I've not run into fuel issues. It's nice being able to splash alcohol on the fire as well. One time we soaked paper towels in it and made a retarded torch. :iia:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The last trip I did I calculated myself as requiring a liter of Methylhydrate to cook breakfast and dinner, so between the weight and the hassle of fueling -> waiting ten minutes for it to boil -> waiting to cool off enough to defuel, I just want a drat canister stove. Trangia can stay in the drawer until I go somewhere ultra long haul where canisters are rare, like the Lycian Way in Turkey.

Open fires are almost universally banned in the backcountry in BC between April and October, though it was pretty fun to use the fuel to make it look like I was throwing fireballs when I did a bike trip a few years back. :byodood:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Rime posted:

Also, a shout out for Enlightened Equipment. I picked up a 0c/30f Enigma and this thing is frickin' amazing! It's like having a feather on top of you it weighs so little (15oz), but you are absurdly toasty. I can even use it as an overbag for my 10* mummy if I know I'm going somewhere colder than usual, though going back to the restriction of a mummy bag after using a quilt like this is suffocating.

I feel the same way about my quilt, also from EE. That, along with my Neo Air, has made sleeping outside so pleasant.

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for the look over, some good ideas. A lot of the issues you raise are my fualt for not formatting my list better, but I'll answer your concerns best as I can.

-Altoids tin is my first aid kit, and has duct tape wrapped around it. The tin is inside the drysack and the toiletries are in a ziploc baggie with it. I should list it better.
-I have some lint/vasoline in there with the magnesium starter, works great.
-Cookset is 2 piece: stove and pot. For shorter trips I don't take it and just eat trail mix and bars.
-The multitool is really basic, one of those credit card things. I really only use it for the can opener, and it weighs as little as military style can openers.
-Bug spray definitely needs to be downsized.
-Nook isn't a tablet, it's an ereader like a kindle. It helps me go to sleep much faster more than I actually use it for entertainment, haha.
-Battery pack and phone cable are for recharging phone. I take a lot of pics and like to have an emergency battery just in case.
-Might try out gatorade bottles, that would save a lot of weight.
-I definitely plan ahead for weather more specifically, but for most local trips this is all I take besides what I wear.
-Completely forgot sleeping pad, it's rolled up in tent, forgot that when I weighed it. It's a Neoair Trekker.
-Ground sheet is to protect tent more than keep dry, but I'll redo my whole sleep system for a tarp and bug net eventually.
-Trash bag is in pack, haven't been able to find a compactor bag yet.

Does the hydration bladder really weigh 14 oz? That seems a bit high as my 2L platypus says it weighs 3.5oz. A pair of gatorade bottles is definitely under 14oz.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does no one else worry about the plastic gatorade bottles heating up in the sun and letting off carcinogens? I always opt for a nalgene despite the extra weight. Please convince me I am wrong.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What's the favorite tent around here for 2 people? Would I be better off getting a lightweight one right now or have one for car camping and one for remote? I'm thinking a heavier one that fits 2 people and a single backpacking one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Comatoast posted:

Does no one else worry about the plastic gatorade bottles heating up in the sun and letting off carcinogens? I always opt for a nalgene despite the extra weight. Please convince me I am wrong.

How could they possibly get warmer in you bag than they do in the back room of a gas station?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

cheese eats mouse posted:

What's the favorite tent around here for 2 people? Would I be better off getting a lightweight one right now or have one for car camping and one for remote? I'm thinking a heavier one that fits 2 people and a single backpacking one.

I really like the rei passage 2. It's held up very solid for the last few years through rain and snow. For the money it's hard to beat especially if caught on sale then you definitely can't beat it. It's easy/fast to set up and a very solid structure one erected. The reason I prefer it over the camp dome is the rain fly goes all the way to the ground giving you external storage on both sides and can be used minimally with just poles rain fly and footprint.

Backpacking tents can be used for both. Car camping tents can only be used for car camping. Buy a backpacking tent first and car camping tent later if you need it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Comatoast posted:

On the list of things to worry about, this is somewhere between "Osama bin Laden coming to life with superpowers" and "do I toast my toast right?"

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Comatoast posted:

You go hiking like twice a month right? Cancer risk is negligible. Being outside in the sun all day is probably doing more to give you cancer than gross-tasting plastic water.

You're worried about Phthalates, and it is maybe a legit concern, I don't have access to lab equipment to test for it... maybe some other goons who work in chemistry do?

All I could find online in <2min is "One study found that water that had been stored for 10 weeks in plastic and in glass bottles contained phthalates, suggesting that the chemicals could be coming from the plastic cap or liner.", effectively an anecdote since they did not, in fact, tell me which study it was or where to find it.

You're exposed to pthalates all day every day btw, if you live in an urban area. They are (in tiny amounts) in the air, your tap water, everywhere.

In general, don't worry about it, put water in plastic bottles, metal flasks, literal animal bladders, whatever. You will be fine.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
I like the cut of your jib.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I loathe MEC and all it stands for, but the 10% off nights really help fill in the gear gaps. :v:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Rime posted:

I loathe MEC and all it stands for, but the 10% off nights really help fill in the gear gaps. :v:
Why do you loathe MEC?

It used to be SUPER useful for Americans to fill gear gaps when our dollar was still worth something vs the CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Thinking about getting a GPS - anyone happen to know the likelihood of Garmin releasing an updated Monterra this year? It sounds like most of the problems it had at launch have been fixed besides battery life, but since it can take AA's and I am not planning on hiking more than 4-5 hrs at a time anyway I'm not too worried. I suppose buying one from REI would at least be 30 day insurance against a new one coming out since they seem to announce new products around May/June (or if apps are still crashing on it a lot).