Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soundsection
May 10, 2010

Herv posted:

One of our biggest tricks is to draw a line between each other, and it hurts to watch in whatever form it takes. gently caress.

Truth. That moment when the narrator realises that he is just as swept up in the pointlessness of it all as the people around him absolutely killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If your open to the fact that we are being hosed over by big pharmacy watch.

American Addict:
Riveting look at the politics, big business and the medical industry that has made America the most prescription-addicted society in the world. America is less than 5% of the World's population but consumes 80% of the World's prescription narcotics. We have gone from being the land of the free to the land of the addicted

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ropes4u posted:

American Addict:We have gone from being the land of the free to the land of the addicted

I prefer to think of it as the land of the most chemically well-adjusted, but hey, potato tomato whatevs. I wonder if legal weed will have an impact on that number in the next decade. I'm not a huge "hemp evangelist", but I do know a lot of folks who seem to get along without insurance, as long as they get their vitamin weed.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I saw this a few years back and finally remembered the name and found it again on youtube.

The man who lost his body.
YT Playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F6E67D1D6C6E420

Youtube description

quote:

In 1971 Ian Waterman was a butcher on Jersey. He was nineteen, newly qualified and working flat out to make a go of the business. Then suddenly he went down with what seemed to be gastric flu. But it wasn't. He became wobbly and weak. Within days he had collapsed and was in hospital, unable to move or feel his body.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

I prefer to think of it as the land of the most chemically well-adjusted, but hey, potato tomato whatevs. I wonder if legal weed will have an impact on that number in the next decade. I'm not a huge "hemp evangelist", but I do know a lot of folks who seem to get along without insurance, as long as they get their vitamin weed.

Basically, not all addiction is terrible. Maybe some people find the idea of addiction in any form scary but for others the alternative is depression, chronic pain, etc etc. I'd prefer a controllable addiction over that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ropes4u posted:

If your open to the fact that we are being hosed over by big pharmacy watch.

American Addict:
America is less than 5% of the World's population but consumes 80% of the World's prescription narcotics. We have gone from being the land of the free to the land of the addicted

More people are taking psych meds because the stigma surrounding them is gradually lessening and they're becoming more accessible due to general practitioners and more drugs losing their copyrights rather than an insidious attempt at tainting our precious bodily fluids. I've never seen tjis doc but the summary reminds me a lot of the Fat Sick and Nearly Dead which took a sensible observarion (a lot of people are overweight and suffer medical issues because of that) and used it as a springboard into what was effectively a feature-length juicer commercial.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Juicer Movie Strikes Again.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

More people are taking psych meds because the stigma surrounding them is gradually lessening and they're becoming more accessible due to general practitioners and more drugs losing their copyrights rather than an insidious attempt at tainting our precious bodily fluids.

Fun fact: "narcotics" aren't psych meds.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Howmuch posted:

I saw this a few years back and finally remembered the name and found it again on youtube.

The man who lost his body.
YT Playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F6E67D1D6C6E420

Youtube description

This was absolutely fascinating. I am really intrigued by these types of documentaries that explain how the brain work. The BBC Brain Story series was similar to this one, where they show how different parts of the mind work. They also showed people who had very particular and specific injuries to the brain, and how they used these injuries to know more about how the brain worked. Does anyone have any recommendations for documentaries in a similar vane?

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Netflix Instant just added a new doc called Mortified Nation, about a performance thing where people get up in front of an audience and read their diaries from when they were teenagers. It's amazing. I love it when Netflix recommends something I absolutely fall in love with.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

appleskates posted:

Netflix Instant just added a new doc called Mortified Nation, about a performance thing where people get up in front of an audience and read their diaries from when they were teenagers. It's amazing. I love it when Netflix recommends something I absolutely fall in love with.

Jesus, I kept a diary for a short time as a kid, when I found it a few years ago I burned it to the ground lest someone else read it.

Can't wait to watch this, thank you.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The latest Filmspotting podcast mentioned a documentary maker that sounded really cool but the name is slipping me. He has made dozens of documentaries focusing on specifc part of society and they actually sounded quite interesting. They all have mundane names like "Hospital" "School" etc.

Does anyone know who this is and are the movies good?
The host also mentioned that the movies are actually pretty hard to find, I assume that means they aren't on Netflix, Youtube, Hulu etc?

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Based on your description, this is what immediately comes to mind

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Is it Frederick Wiseman?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

xcore posted:

The latest Filmspotting podcast mentioned a documentary maker that sounded really cool but the name is slipping me. He has made dozens of documentaries focusing on specifc part of society and they actually sounded quite interesting. They all have mundane names like "Hospital" "School" etc.

Does anyone know who this is and are the movies good?
The host also mentioned that the movies are actually pretty hard to find, I assume that means they aren't on Netflix, Youtube, Hulu etc?
Frederick Wiseman?

e: :argh:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
drat you guys are good! That's him.

The fact that there is no narration, title cards or talking heads is really intriguing. It seems like it would be really challenging to make a compelling doco without any of those crutches.

Are the movies good or are they a bit hit and miss? Any easy way to view them?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

xcore posted:

drat you guys are good! That's him.

The fact that there is no narration, title cards or talking heads is really intriguing. It seems like it would be really challenging to make a compelling doco without any of those crutches.

Are the movies good or are they a bit hit and miss? Any easy way to view them?

I can't sit through more than two or three a year but I've never seen one that didn't captive me. They're strange time capsules, and usually deeply political without saying anything. I think Missile is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wynz3FtUBZc

Notoriously hard to find, though.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Near Death is definitely my favorite, but probably his least accessible, clocking in at 6 hours. I found it incredibly easy to watch it one sitting though. The short description is, he hangs around an intensive/palliative care unit, listening to dialogue between all combinations of doctors, nurses, patients, and family members. It isn't very personal, I don't think a patient is ever referred to by name, so it is surprisingly not as emotional as you might think (not to say that it never is). It also never felt repetitive. It may be impossible to truly have an objective documentary, but Wiseman's stuff comes the closest.

But yes, his stuff can be very difficult to find. If you are looking for something that is practically identical in his method, look for Allan King's films, which are on the Eclipse Series. He also has a palliative care documentary, Dying at Grace. Almost as good, and infinitely more recommendable as it's only 2.5 hours and has a stronger emotional appeal.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

appleskates posted:

This absolutely kicked rear end, sort of bummed Denver doesn't have a live showing.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I would like as many recommendations as can be made on the following topics: mental health disorders, depression, the brain in general, neuroscience, how we think, emotional systems, therapies, anything near those areas.

I'm watching a few a day but most end up being a bit samey or preachy and don't end up saying much on their topic. I really like BBC documentaries but they don't have many in the areas I'm interested in that I can find.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

I would like as many recommendations as can be made on the following topics: mental health disorders, depression, the brain in general, neuroscience, how we think, emotional systems, therapies, anything near those areas.

I'm watching a few a day but most end up being a bit samey or preachy and don't end up saying much on their topic. I really like BBC documentaries but they don't have many in the areas I'm interested in that I can find.

The Bridge - People suffer largely unnoticed while the rest of the world goes about its business. This is a documentary exploration of the mythic beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge, the most popular suicide destination in the world, and those drawn by its call. Steel and his crew filmed the bridge during daylight hours from two separate locations for all of 2004, recording most of the two dozen deaths in that year (and preventing several others). They also taped interviews with friends, families and witnesses, who recount in sorrowful detail stories of struggles with depression, substance abuse and mental illness. Raises questions about suicide, mental illness and civic responsibility as well as the filmmaker's relationship to his fraught and complicated material.

- G. Leggat

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
There was a documentary I saw a few years ago, it was made in the 1970s (maybe early 80s?).

It was a slice of life type doc, I don't remember what the point was, but it was about a young family somewhere in the U.S.
I distinctly remember their marijuana use was a big part of it. I think the husband worked at a truck yard or similar. The doc was part of a series that was put out by a university.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lethemonster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJIMC9d9l2o&hd=1 maybe, it's by the BBC and about neuroscience.

Adam Curtis' films as well, though that's trending more towards social science and while they have plenty to say, are anything but objective.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Memory for Max, Claire, Ida and Company is an Allan King documentary on dementia. Heartbreaking, but the focus is on the individuals and loved ones, and not the science, so it depends on what you're looking for, but I highly recommend it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

To add to the insight into the human mind I will toss "cowboy del amor". It's an interesting but sad look I to the world of some dude who specializes in playing Cupid for American men looking for Mexican wives.

Cowboy del Amor - Not the Hispanic remake of Brokeback Mountain starring Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna that its title would suggest, Cowboy del Amor is a quirky documentary about the most colorful matchmaker since Dolly Levi. Ivan "The Cowboy Cupid" Thompson herds lovelorn gringos across the border and fixes them up with eager (sometimes too eager) Mexican brides. A happy couple offers a sincere testimonial but—call me a cynic—it's just a straight business transaction. We see Thompson accompany Bachelor No. 1 on a 12-hour bus ride to Torreón, place a personal ad in the local paper, and set up camp in a fleabag motel to interview (with the aid of a translator) desperate housewives-to-be. She gets a green card, he gets a live-in maid with benefits, Thompson gets $3,000. Everybody wins.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'd like to come out and recommend this BBC documentary that speculates Jesus was a really Buddhist monk. His teachings of humility, loving thy enemy, and the meek inheriting the Earth for all were likely variations on Buddhist themes, because these values do not appear in Judaism. After he was born in Israel, he travelled to India where he spent some 15 years or so learning Buddhism, then returned to Israel to spread the values he learned. He probably hitched a ride with the spice caravans that routinely brought spices from India to the Arabian peninsula. He didn't die on the cross because his followers drugged him to make him appear dead so that the Romans would let them take him down early. He was then resuscitated in secret and he fled back to Asia where he eventually died in the mountains of Kashmir.

If you're a Christian this might irk you and you will probably reject it, but even so it's fun ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaW6BYhfNM

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 2, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Man From Earth was right!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Narco Cultura is a documentary from last year that is currently up on Netflix streaming. It's about the pop culture that has grown up around drug trafficking in Mexico (specifically around Juarez) and the genre of rap music that it has spawned. Interesting and worth a watch. The film looks in parallel at the stories of a guy who works crime scene investigation in Juarez, with an American guy in L.A. who writes rap numbers for gangsters about the gangster life without ever having gone to Mexico himself (until late in the film).

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to come out and recommend this BBC documentary that speculates Jesus was a really Buddhist monk. His teachings of humility, loving thy enemy, and the meek inheriting the Earth for all were likely variations on Buddhist themes, because these values do not appear in Judaism. After he was born in Israel, he travelled to India where he spent some 15 years or so learning Buddhism, then returned to Israel to spread the values he learned. He probably hitched a ride with the spice caravans that routinely brought spices from India to the Arabian peninsula. He didn't die on the cross because his followers drugged him to make him appear dead so that the Romans would let them take him down early. He was then resuscitated in secret and he fled back to Asia where he eventually died in the mountains of Kashmir.

If you're a Christian this might irk you and you will probably reject it, but even so it's fun ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaW6BYhfNM

This was really interesting. I've often wondered about such a thing. I wish they could do testing on all of those remains, just to see what would be found. It could literally rock the world

edit- I may have missed the part where they talked about it, but is the writings that the Russian guy found of the 'proof' that a boy came from Israel? Or can it be found in other Buddhist writings?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dr.Caligari posted:

edit- I may have missed the part where they talked about it, but is the writings that the Russian guy found of the 'proof' that a boy came from Israel? Or can it be found in other Buddhist writings?
The evidence surrounding Jesus and everything else that happened in those days is so sparse that I can accept that Buddhist manuscript as much as anything else.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
You don't really know what you're talking about if you can say that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The documentary told me that there are no contemporary records of Jesus ever existing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

NARCO CULTURA

To a growing number of Mexicans and Latinos in the Americas, narco traffickers have become iconic outlaws and the new models of fame and success. They represent a pathway out of the ghetto - a new form of the American Dream, fueled by the war on drugs. NARCO CULTURA looks at this explosive phenomenon from within; cycles of addiction to money, drugs and violence that are rapidly gaining strength on both sides of the US/Mexican border.

Warming there are some bloody parts when they show a gang beat and torture a revival gang member, before cutting his head off.

It's interesting and a bit disturbing but no more so than gangsta rap, I guess.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

NARCO CULTURA

You don't need to read the whole thread, but dude, look four posts up.

Looks interesting though. This setting/subject matter is quite fascinating.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

xcore posted:

You don't need to read the whole thread, but dude, look four posts up.

Looks interesting though. This setting/subject matter is quite fascinating.

drat I tried to find that post! I wAs positive the recommendation came from this thread. :/

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There was a pretty good documentary on Australian TV over the weekend on Pussy Riot called Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer Not sure if people overseas can view the ABC iView site, but I'm sure it's on Netflix or Hulu or something as well anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/85180658

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

xcore posted:

There was a pretty good documentary on Australian TV over the weekend on Pussy Riot called Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer Not sure if people overseas can view the ABC iView site, but I'm sure it's on Netflix or Hulu or something as well anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/85180658

It aired on HBO here so it's a little harder to access, but I loved that doc. Their speeches during their trial are inspiring.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
This has been one of my favorites for a while and I re-watched it a couple of nights ago, so I figure I'll mention The Devil At Your Heels. It's an old documentary from 1981 made by the National Film Board of Canada and tells the story of Canadian stunt driver Ken Carter and his quest to jump a rocket-powered car the 1+ mile distance over the Saint Lawrence river. It's by turns both funny, fascinating and nerve-wracking, especially towards the end if you're unfamiliar with whether he (or rather, Kenny Powers) managed to pull the jump off.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

First trailer for How to Build a Time Machine:

http://filmjunk.com/2014/05/06/jay-cheels-how-to-build-a-time-machine-trailer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a pretty good documentary (although a bit old now) called "The Brain that Changes Itself". It was filmed by CBC in Canada but I believe is available on Youtube as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/The+Nature+of+Things/2008-09/ID/1233752028/

There's also this video which goes through issues relating to diagnosis and treatment of mental illness in children.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/view/

There's also this slightly bizarre reality tv/documentary that puts 10 volunteers (5 with mental illnesses, 5 without) through a series of tests to see the differences.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-mad-are-you/

And, I haven't watched this yet, but have heard good things about Stephen Fry - The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8hqXd7N_A

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 9, 2014