Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hi Other Mafia Game I am cooling off from a mafia game and need some relaxed mafiaing.

Who wants to make origami fortune tellers and dish about relationships and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Foo can you give one (1) reason why derp's claim would be harmful to the town/beneficial for scum to make?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm here for the only time I can be this evening. I see that not much has happened.

Derp's shenanigans seem harmless. I'm cool with it. Does Foo not know derp because I will say I hated Mr. Anus the first game I played with him.

I don't really get the votes against MMT.

I may vote 50 just for appearing to hate reality shows in this game about a reality show. Not really though.

Did I miss anything?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Captain Foo posted:

sorry about not being around at times that are convenient for you

sorry about not being incredibly familiar with the way uranus plays, i don't know about "proper reactions to derp" or anything, i just calls 'em like i sees 'em

Yes, if you're gone for ~21 hours during which time someone says they have a result that implicates you and then retracts it and then you make a post like that upon your return you can expect to get poo poo about it.

And I feel like you should know better than to say lying is always anti-town.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ixtlilton posted:

Yes, if you're gone for ~21 hours during which time someone says they have a result that implicates you and then retracts it and then you make a post like that upon your return you can expect to get poo poo about it.

And I feel like you should know better than to say lying is always anti-town.

it implicated you as much as me, just because you were around to say "oh well i'm town so foo is scum" doesn't mean that's actually the case. either way I feel like lying about your role and then using it to stir poo poo up about implicating someone (either you or me) is a bit different than simply blindly saying on D1 that "foo is the scum" or "scumteam is foo bar and baz", that's a play i'm a little more familiar with and recognize when people are doing it, idk.

furthermore - my post that you quoted talks about being unfamiliar with uranus' play, not just that lying is always anti-town (which is actually a slight exaggeration of what I actually said) - so - if uranus' play is good because it generates content, then i guess i disagree with poque that the proper play is laughing it off instead of trying to push and see where it goes.

POP - the obvious advantage for scum is to set up two town as appearing to be on opposite sides - with obvious town-on-town slapfighting afterwards, leaving the scum to be able to fly under the radar more easily

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

uranus posted:

i think murmur and foo are scum together

Wait until we post back-to-back and then use your power on us!

I think Foo is town - he's saying/doing too many things (voting me after one post, casing derp for lying about his role, responding with long defenses against every point when pressured) to make me think he's scum. I'm pretty new to Mafia still, and my gut reaction to derp lying was "That's scummy!" until I thought about it some more. I guess I just don't see how acting suspicious of Derp would be a good scum play?

I think Foo posting a lot this early makes him an easy scapegoat for scum to point to. If anything that argument makes me look harder at Ixtlilton, 50, and Poque. Ixtlilton questioning Foo feels genuine and I don't really get a scum vibe there.

Poque posted:

I don't believe that he actually thinks derp's fakeclaim was harmful to town or that lying (as the game starts) is specifically not town-friendly. basically Uradd has it right:

This is the proper reaction to have, not trying to push it into scummy territory.

Why is derp making up a role and generating discussion good for town, but then foo questioning derp's intent and generating discussion scummy?

50 pounds of bread posted:

##vote foo

I'm actually very down with that.

I don't know if that's just like "50 being 50" or what but that seems like a really low-effort bandwagon post on the easy target. Which is so far the scummiest-looking thing I've seen in this game. ##vote 50

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

50 pounds of bread (2): kaschei, Murmur Twin
Captain Foo (2): Poque, 50 pounds of bread
Murmur Twin (1): Poque, Captain Foo, Poque
uranus (0): kaschei, kaschei
Power of Pecota (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin

Not Voting (7): Asiina, Ernie., Ixtlilton, Power of Pecota, Uradd, uranus, yuming

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is May 03rd, 2014 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 13 hours, 52 minutes.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Captain Foo posted:

it implicated you as much as me, just because you were around to say "oh well i'm town so foo is scum" doesn't mean that's actually the case. either way I feel like lying about your role and then using it to stir poo poo up about implicating someone (either you or me) is a bit different than simply blindly saying on D1 that "foo is the scum" or "scumteam is foo bar and baz", that's a play i'm a little more familiar with and recognize when people are doing it, idk.

furthermore - my post that you quoted talks about being unfamiliar with uranus' play, not just that lying is always anti-town (which is actually a slight exaggeration of what I actually said) - so - if uranus' play is good because it generates content, then i guess i disagree with poque that the proper play is laughing it off instead of trying to push and see where it goes.

POP - the obvious advantage for scum is to set up two town as appearing to be on opposite sides - with obvious town-on-town slapfighting afterwards, leaving the scum to be able to fly under the radar more easily

I would agree that Uradd laughing it off instead of waiting for reactions from people who don't know derp as well was a bad, move, same as MMT. Interfering with scumhunting is always a bad idea, and I've mostly seen it from scum. And I would agree with your part about derp's motivation, had he not retracted it fairly quickly, but he did.

Also, you not posting for 21 hours isn't the only reason that post was scummy, saying "I guess I have to actually post" after a result is retracted is pretty scummy.

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Foo is town - he's saying/doing too many things (voting me after one post, casing derp for lying about his role, responding with long defenses against every point when pressured) to make me think he's scum. I'm pretty new to Mafia still, and my gut reaction to derp lying was "That's scummy!" until I thought about it some more. I guess I just don't see how acting suspicious of Derp would be a good scum play?

I think Foo posting a lot this early makes him an easy scapegoat for scum to point to. If anything that argument makes me look harder at Ixtlilton, 50, and Poque. Ixtlilton questioning Foo feels genuine and I don't really get a scum vibe there.

Why is derp making up a role and generating discussion good for town, but then foo questioning derp's intent and generating discussion scummy?

I don't know if that's just like "50 being 50" or what but that seems like a really low-effort bandwagon post on the easy target. Which is so far the scummiest-looking thing I've seen in this game. ##vote 50

Really? And that 50 vote looks like you're trying to find an easy target.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Also, I just realized that today is deadline and there are like 4 people or something who haven't posted real thoughts today.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Zzzzz good morning yay game is happening now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Murmur Twin posted:

You asked and answered your own question... "generating discussion good for town". The more reactions to things we have to go off of, whether real or made up, the better. You can judge how people would act in a situation if they think the situation is actually happening.

I don't read Foo as questioning derp's intent at all, actually. I voted him specifically for trying to pin derp's lie as not town friendly.

Captain Foo posted:

He's already admitted to lying, lying isn't exactly considered town friendly

Poque posted:

I don't believe that he actually thinks derp's fakeclaim was harmful to town or that lying (as the game starts) is specifically not town-friendly.

He doesn't try to put it against derp's intent whatsoever - he tries to blindly paint all lies as non-town, which is untrue. And quite possibly a lie.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well yes, pushing uranus's move as scummy is questioning its intent, is it not? I think maybe it's scummy so i push it that way and see where it leads

Ixtlilton posted:

I would agree that Uradd laughing it off instead of waiting for reactions from people who don't know derp as well was a bad, move, same as MMT. Interfering with scumhunting is always a bad idea, and I've mostly seen it from scum. And I would agree with your part about derp's motivation, had he not retracted it fairly quickly, but he did.

Also, you not posting for 21 hours isn't the only reason that post was scummy, saying "I guess I have to actually post" after a result is retracted is pretty scummy.
t.

okay well let's look at this some more - like you said, I was away, so i didn't hang out and check on the timestamps when i got back, just saw that it was out there until it didn't get much traction and then was retracted. my return post was actually mocking uradd but reading back on it i agree, it looks dumb v:shobon:v

re: lying is bad for town - i dunno, i know there's something to be said for being evasive with power roles and such, and I already talked about my thoughts on blind early scumcalls. I've always been under the impression that town should be truthful, but also you're the second person that says i said "all lies are always scum" which is an exaggeration of what i always and the tone with which i said it. don't misrepresent me pls

also re-reading mmt's questions and poque's answers, i feel like poque is being disingenuous. what has my push on uranus done other than generate a bunch of content?

finally, saturday's a rugby day (and then a lot of beer day) so i don't know if i'll be back at all before deadline. I'll try to check in on phone but idk how possible that will be.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Guess I'll stick to my guns and ##vote Uranus

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hey Captain Foo, where did your sense of humor suddenly go?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
why do you think im scum again foo? i think i missed that while you were so busy generating all that content

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Because turning jokeclaims into lynches can be effective, and people generally don't attribute blame when jokeclaimers are lynched. It's a very safe accusation.

quote:

Posting a lot has nothing to do with alignment. Townies that post a lot do it to "help" the rest of the town see their reasoning. Scum that post a lot do it to "help" townies see their reasoning. Total non sequitor

quote:

Jokeclaims encourage discussion where there is none without pushing an agenda, while foo questioning derp's intent on a joke encourages discussion while pushing an agenda. There is more likely to be scum motivation from foo than derp.

quote:

Someone else found it, but I like the vote, it's a variation of the "you are too smart to say that, so you must be scum." which is my favorite early game case. I believe it applies here.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
##vote 50

I don't think Foo is scum.

50's hashing out of the vote is p fluffy and I don't agree with it.

Also ~feeling~

Happy Saturday.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Whole scum team on 50 ITT.

Except kaschei, he's not scum, the last scum will come up with an excuse though.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

yuming posted:

##vote 50

I don't think Foo is scum.

50's hashing out of the vote is p fluffy and I don't agree with it.

Also ~feeling~

Happy Saturday.

To flesh out my previous comment: yuming, I let you get away with this kind of thing when you were scum last game, why don't you think Foo is scum, and what about 50's explanation is fluffy? What specifically do you disagree with?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Think long-term though - would sticking with the claim be a kamikaze mission where at the end scum derp's like "Haha you chain lynched two town off my dumb claim, laters"? I don't buy him going for that out of the gate D1. Would he give an actual town + scum pair and try to ride the claim out, which would put a 50/50 target on the back of a scum in a 12-person game? I don't see a viable long-term scum strategy off of faking that. Do you?

Uradd posted:

Why? Because he doesn't like derps... derpiness?

##vote Uradd on reread, this post bugs me, it looks like asking a question for the sake of asking a question. Even if they don't agree with it, did anyone besides Uradd not infer what the logic behind the Poque/50 votes on Foo was?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
50 pretty unambiguously hashed out what was suspicious about Foo and why he considered it a good case, I don't know how you could call it "fluffy" if you read it

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jokeclaims encourage discussion where there is none without pushing an agenda, while foo questioning derp's intent on a joke encourages discussion while pushing an agenda. There is more likely to be scum motivation from foo than derp.

I think this is kinda bullshit, scum priorities can be in plenty of different places D1 (keep a low profile, make early cases to look higher-content, get a specific town person lynched) and the umbrella "pushing an agenda" only accounts for the last one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really feeling 50 or Foo. I think Foo is wrong about derp's lie and it being bad, but I also think that would be a strange thing for scum to focus on.

50 I don't really have too much of an opinion on, but I'm not seeing anything very scummy about what he's said.

Honestly day 1 is a clusterfuck and I'm personally more likely to put my attention on lurkers than people having a fight.

Using that metric I'd say yuming or uradd based on feelings.

Once again sorry for lurking myself. If I don't get murdered today/tonight I will be home tomorrow and will be able to be much more active.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Even if they don't agree with it, did anyone besides Uradd not infer what the logic behind the Poque/50 votes on Foo was?

This wasn't rhetorical btw. Asiina, did you see it?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hi everyone. im trying my best to care. yuming are you bad or what

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think I see it but I'm more willing to give it a pass.

From what I understand Foo seems to not be overly familiar with derp and the crazy things he sometimes does. He didn't like the fact that derp was fakeclaiming that two people were different alignments, cause even though derp almost immediately said it was a joke it could have lead to a bad turbo.

People against Foo seem to be overstating this as saying Foo is claiming that all lies are anti-town, which Foo said that's not what he means.

I think the argument against Foo is a stretch which is why I don't want to go along with it.

I have to go to my afternoon sessions now (woo conferences) but I'll try to be around near deadline. In case I'm not I'm going to chose to ##vote yuming based on the hunch from my last post.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

I think this is kinda bullshit, scum priorities can be in plenty of different places D1 (keep a low profile, make early cases to look higher-content, get a specific town person lynched) and the umbrella "pushing an agenda" only accounts for the last one.

Totally true, but the possibility is there. You could also attribute pushing an agenda to discrediting a townie to make them an easier adversary, or attribute the case on a jokeclaimer to looking higher content.

This is by no means a slam-dunk case, but at this stage in the game, I like it.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Captain Foo posted:

He's already admitted to lying, lying isn't exactly considered town friendly

How is this saying anything other than "lying is inherently anti-town"? Especially when he was using it to implicitly call derp scummy.

Also, to answer PoP's question, yes, I did see it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Because turning jokeclaims into lynches can be effective, and people generally don't attribute blame when jokeclaimers are lynched. It's a very safe accusation.

Really? This early in the game I feel like pushing back on Derp for an obvious fakeclaim is pretty inconclusive. Town might do it, scum might do it, but I would never think someone was scum because they did it (any more than I would think Derp was scum after giving it some thought).

Posting a lot has nothing to do with alignment. Townies that post a lot do it to "help" the rest of the town see their reasoning. Scum that post a lot do it to "help" townies see their reasoning. Total non sequitor

I tend to believe that more words/points usually (not always, but usually) points to being honest. The more stuff you say, the more likely it is to gently caress up down the road and get caught in a lie. I don't think Foo would have defended himself that hard on "Derp is scum" to the level he did if he were scum.

Again, it's not airtight reasoning, more of a gut thing where I'm explaining where the hunch comes from.

quote:

Someone else found it, but I like the vote, it's a variation of the "you are too smart to say that, so you must be scum." which is my favorite early game case. I believe it applies here.

I've never played with Foo or Uradd (I think I have at least one game with everyone else here) so to be fair I don't really know "you are too smart to say that" applies there.

Ixtlilton posted:

How is this saying anything other than "lying is inherently anti-town"? Especially when he was using it to implicitly call derp scummy.

Also, to answer PoP's question, yes, I did see it.

I do think Foo was essentially saying "lying is inherently anti-town", I just think he was wrong rather than lying.

As for PoP's question, if the answer is "Foo looked scummy for fabricating a vote on Derp", then I do. If there's something beyond that then it's flying over my head, I think.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also: I'm doing Saturday things today so won't be around too much but will try to check in one or two more times before deadline.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what up yo. dubstep drops kinda sound like big farts. or maybe something is wrong with my headphones

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I have successfully moved out of my old apartment. Why are you listening to dubstep anyway, derp?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i dunno, trying new things.

also yay, i moved recently too

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Asiina posted:

Using that metric I'd say yuming or uradd based on feelings.

Why vote yuming (no other votes, loved for the day) over Uradd (one other vote, nobody's contesting my point about the Poque/50 votes)?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

Why vote yuming (no other votes, loved for the day) over Uradd (one other vote, nobody's contesting my point about the Poque/50 votes)?

I didn't realize uradd had a vote on him, phone posting sux. Vote finder images are so small and hard to read.

I don't really see how her being loved is really a point in her favour since we don't know her role and she could very well be scum, but I don't mind switching since I'm feeling both are equally probable of being scum. Honestly though I don't know if anyone else is interested in voting for either of them.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

uranus posted:

what up yo. dubstep drops kinda sound like big farts. or maybe something is wrong with my headphones

Artist's depiction of derp listening to dubstep.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I'm around now and will be until deadline. Is anyone considering anybody but Foo or 50 cause I'm not comfortable with either of them.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

##unvote this was a joke vote that has gotten strange company

I'm looking at Murmur Twin and yuming when I'm done with dinner, I didn't realize deadline was tonight.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I would vote Uradd, I was out having dinner with my family after getting home, but I'm here now. Hopefully he's around, because executing someone who's not there to claim kinda sucks. I'd still do Foo, but I'm less enthusiastic about it since his responses to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

50 pounds of bread (2): kaschei, Murmur Twin, yuming, kaschei
Captain Foo (2): Poque, 50 pounds of bread
Uradd (1): Power of Pecota
uranus (1): kaschei, kaschei, Captain Foo
yuming (1): Asiina
Power of Pecota (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Murmur Twin (0): Poque, Captain Foo, Poque, Captain Foo

Not Voting (5): Ernie., Ixtlilton, kaschei, Uradd, uranus

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is May 03rd, 2014 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 58 minutes.

• Locked thread