Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I don't know anyone irl who has even heard of these guys, and I asked around. I must be out of the loop. :( where did you and croatoan come across them? maybe I need to add to my sources.

Jim 'n Nick's is OTP, which is why you've never heard of them. I've been there and thought it was fine, but not the sort of place I'd go out of my way for. Their cheese biscuits are delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and FYI for those of you who live up the 75/575 area you should check out the Century House Tavern. The Main Wife and I went there and were pleasantly surprised. The menu is really seasonal so if you get your butts up there in the next week or so you can still get some morels.

http://www.centuryhousetavern.com/

It's nice to have a upscale joint without having to go all the way into ATL.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Has anyone ever eaten at the Chicken and the Egg? It's in Marietta, so OTP, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
Chicken and the Egg is my absolute favorite restaurant and deserves to be much busier than it is. I've never had a bad meal there for brunch, lunch or dinner.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Thanks for the response, I was even looking to go there for brunch and you've specifically endorsed it in this thread! What do you recommend?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Croatoan posted:

Oh and FYI for those of you who live up the 75/575 area you should check out the Century House Tavern. The Main Wife and I went there and were pleasantly surprised. The menu is really seasonal so if you get your butts up there in the next week or so you can still get some morels.

http://www.centuryhousetavern.com/

It's nice to have a upscale joint without having to go all the way into ATL.

Downtown Woodstock is really making strides in countering the OTP suburban wasteland. I grew up there, so it's great to see that area explode into what it is today.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.

FordCQC posted:

Thanks for the response, I was even looking to go there for brunch and you've specifically endorsed it in this thread! What do you recommend?

Their country fried steak is my go-to and is enormous. Also their French toast offerings change with the seasonal produce, but it's always been delicious.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Webbeh posted:

Downtown Woodstock is really making strides in countering the OTP suburban wasteland. I grew up there, so it's great to see that area explode into what it is today.

Agreed. I remember when the peak of culinary sophistication there was that hotdog shop next to the post office, across from the train caboose. After I came home from college and drove through, I barely recognized the place.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 5, 2020

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

Also, if any of you guys live/work in Alpharetta (I work there), I'm sure you've noticed the huge Avalon mixed-use development going up on Old Milton at 400. I was browsing their website today because I was curious and it looks like the complex is going to include a Bocado as well as another location for Antico Napoletana, a new Ford Fry restaurant called Superica, and a few other decent restaurants. Pretty excited to have some good food in the area that's not another lovely tapas joint.

The lineup of stuff there does look really good. I work with some people who live near there and have been teasing them about how they'll finally get actual good food and won't have to eat a Chili's every weekend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge. got a hot tub and a garage to boot. can't wait for the krog street market to open up, and for us to get settled. partytime!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Congrats. A friend of mine just bought a place over there. I'm very jealous of how close you'll be to Krog Street Market.

On a somewhat related note (as they'll have a stall at Krog Street Market), I ate at Gu's Bistro for the first (and second) time last week. What I had was really good. Love them dumplings.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Gu's is great! I have ordered some terrible entrees there though (the fried stuff, ugghh), so it's not all good. I just wish they had better quality ingredients in lieu of their very large portion sizes.

We found a new Mexican place that's legit: Si Seņor on the Peachtree Industrial access road (Winter's Chapel intersection). http://www.yelp.com/biz/si-se%C3%B1or-norcross-2

"Yes Sir" From the outside, it doesn't look like a place non-Hispanics would ever walk into. But once inside, it's surprisingly very clean, professional, and better than 90% of all the other Mexican restaurants I've been in. It's not some scary helldump that epitomizes Buford Hwy fare. Just find a table and sit down, as they have full table service. They mostly speak English too. They have Tortas, Sopes, and other very uncommon Mexican dishes that don't taste like they fell off a frozen food distributor's truck. Cheap, but not in a bad way.

mindphlux posted:

hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge. got a hot tub and a garage to boot. can't wait for the krog street market to open up, and for us to get settled. partytime!

Congrats!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

Nice, dude! I used to love the Krog St. Tunnel. That area is one of the things I miss the most about Atlanta.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge.
Octane / Little Tart on Memorial has cheddar waffles with sorghum syrup in the mornings sometimes, it's pretty yummy and nearishby. Were I in your position I'd bike there with high frequency. I already do so from Decatur.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Octane / Little Tart on Memorial has cheddar waffles with sorghum syrup in the mornings sometimes, it's pretty yummy and nearishby. Were I in your position I'd bike there with high frequency. I already do so from Decatur.

cool, I've only been there once for a meeting - didn't know they did foodfood. thanks.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

Congrats! I'm over at the corner of Edgewood and Randolph, and I'm so pumped for Krog Street to open up. Gonna bring a lot of activity to this little area, which is well-deserved.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli and had a really good experience. It is another Neapolitan-style pizza place along the lines of Antico. I first met Luca Varuni when he was at Antico when that place opened. He's been gone from Antico for a few years and has just opened his own place over by the corner of Piedmont and Monroe (next to Hobnob on Monroe).

I had the Oro Bianco (buffalo mozzarella, buffalo ricotta, Taleggio, pancetta, Pecorino Romano, basil, white truffle oil, no tomato sauce) and it was really good. Compared to Antico, I found the crust lighter, less gummy, less charred, and not sour (not that any of that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just what I saw as the differences). I've been to Antico probably over a hundred times, and the crust can vary significantly, so I imagine the same may be true at Varuni, and so this is based on the one pie I had at Varuni versus the sum of my experiences at Antico. Anyway, I really enjoyed my pie.

There is also much larger variety of pies with a greater variety of ingredient on the menu at Varuni. I was a bit overwhelmed by the choices and happened across the word "pancetta" and went with that pie. At Antico I probably order the San Gennaro 70% of the time, the Bianca 20%, and something else the remaining 10%, so I'm looking forward to trying more of the pies at Varuni.

One big advantage of Varuni Napoli compared to Antico is the space. During dining hours, Antico is always jammed and despite all they've done to accommodate the crowds, it is a clusterfuck. Varuni has a lot of space and feels really open. There's a lot of counter seating, a number of communal tables, a good size patio, and a small back room (might be only for private parties). I imagine that if Varuni gets really busy, it won't feel half as cramped as Antico does on a moderately busy day.

Another nice thing (for me) is that I really like Luca Varuni. As I mentioned, we met years ago when Antico first opened and I haven't seen him since he left Antico years ago. When I walked in today, he recognized me, said hello and welcomed me, took note of my number to make sure I was taken care of, and then at the end gave me a tour of everything (I love, love, love touring kitchens). A couple interesting things from the tour was that they have a small climate controlled room for making dough and that they have some special water used in the dough that helps make it very light. And to further the comparison to Antico, Luca is a really nice guy while Giovanni is a bit of a dick.

Anyway, that's my (probably way too long) experience at Varuni Napoli. I really liked it and look forward to going back. Quality is on same level as Antico (with the crust being different), and I prefer the space and atmosphere at Varuni.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli and had a really good experience. It is another Neapolitan-style pizza place along the lines of Antico. I first met Luca Varuni when he was at Antico when that place opened. He's been gone from Antico for a few years and has just opened his own place over by the corner of Piedmont and Monroe (next to Hobnob on Monroe).

I had the Oro Bianco (buffalo mozzarella, buffalo ricotta, Taleggio, pancetta, Pecorino Romano, basil, white truffle oil, no tomato sauce) and it was really good. Compared to Antico, I found the crust lighter, less gummy, less charred, and not sour (not that any of that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just what I saw as the differences). I've been to Antico probably over a hundred times, and the crust can vary significantly, so I imagine the same may be true at Varuni, and so this is based on the one pie I had at Varuni versus the sum of my experiences at Antico. Anyway, I really enjoyed my pie.

There is also much larger variety of pies with a greater variety of ingredient on the menu at Varuni. I was a bit overwhelmed by the choices and happened across the word "pancetta" and went with that pie. At Antico I probably order the San Gennaro 70% of the time, the Bianca 20%, and something else the remaining 10%, so I'm looking forward to trying more of the pies at Varuni.

One big advantage of Varuni Napoli compared to Antico is the space. During dining hours, Antico is always jammed and despite all they've done to accommodate the crowds, it is a clusterfuck. Varuni has a lot of space and feels really open. There's a lot of counter seating, a number of communal tables, a good size patio, and a small back room (might be only for private parties). I imagine that if Varuni gets really busy, it won't feel half as cramped as Antico does on a moderately busy day.

Another nice thing (for me) is that I really like Luca Varuni. As I mentioned, we met years ago when Antico first opened and I haven't seen him since he left Antico years ago. When I walked in today, he recognized me, said hello and welcomed me, took note of my number to make sure I was taken care of, and then at the end gave me a tour of everything (I love, love, love touring kitchens). A couple interesting things from the tour was that they have a small climate controlled room for making dough and that they have some special water used in the dough that helps make it very light. And to further the comparison to Antico, Luca is a really nice guy while Giovanni is a bit of a dick.

Anyway, that's my (probably way too long) experience at Varuni Napoli. I really liked it and look forward to going back. Quality is on same level as Antico (with the crust being different), and I prefer the space and atmosphere at Varuni.

Nice write up!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question for you folks. I'm gonna go see my boyfriend again in September. So, is there anywhere good in and around the Canton area? We went to a nice Indian place I forget the name of, and that's the only particularly nice place I can recall from my last trip, preferably reasonably priced (read - $15-ish per person)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli...

I was wondering when this place would open up. I was really nervous it was going to be another weak pizza joint, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Definitely gotta make a trip over there asap.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Question for you folks. I'm gonna go see my boyfriend again in September. So, is there anywhere good in and around the Canton area? We went to a nice Indian place I forget the name of, and that's the only particularly nice place I can recall from my last trip, preferably reasonably priced (read - $15-ish per person)

I live in Holly springs so I can tell you honestly, not really. Century House Tavern is the nearest nice joint in woodstock so not a big drive.

Edit: Why am I giving advice to a furry? :bang:

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 4, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because you love me Croat, and want me to help my boyfriend find good food? ;-*

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Question for you folks. I'm gonna go see my boyfriend again in September. So, is there anywhere good in and around the Canton area?

This place is in Canton, although I've only been to the Virginia Highlands location. Excellent food: http://goincoastalseafood.com/

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli and had a really good experience.

i love antico but agree about the space issues. will def have to check out varuni napoli.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

My brother runs the Varasanos at the airport, and can get you a tour there, or even the original Varasanos location in Buckhead if you want!

Just tossing that out there, its really nothing too special.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

godzirraRAWR posted:

My brother runs the Varasanos at the airport, and can get you a tour there, or even the original Varasanos location in Buckhead if you want!

Just tossing that out there, its really nothing too special.

Uh yeah. Plan a Goon Dinner there, as we'll all show up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Because you love me Croat, and want me to help my boyfriend find good food? ;-*

There's a great Stevie B's up next to the wal-mart. They've even got a macaroni and cheese pizza.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croatoan posted:

Stevie B's

quote:

Pizza Buffet
You're loving with me, aren't you?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

just budget more than $15 (??) per person for a nice meal out, and eat in ActualAtlanta and you'll have plenty of options. I don't know what you're expecting though, you can easily spend more than $15 per person at like a el azteca or mellow mushroom or whatever.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair point. Only issue we have there is Brady's not the best driver, really defensive. But I'll keep that idea in mind.

E - he does like the sound of Goin' tho. That suggestion was appreciated.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 6, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Fair point. Only issue we have there is Brady's not the best driver, really defensive. But I'll keep that idea in mind.

get an uber. or if driving and ActualAtlanta are scary, just stick to what you know and makes you comfortable. no need to ruffle furr or feathers to eat at some pretentious place that is more effort for you than it's worth.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Goin' Coastal is legitimately an excellent in-town-atlanta restaurant that just happens to have a 2nd location in the "sticks" of Canton, GA.

We are aware of how OTP people are scared of ITP Atlanta, due to our continuous 'Death Race 3000' in the city.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Tell him to never hesitate and don't look other drivers in the eyes. That's really all he needs to know.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Sperg Victorious posted:

Tell him to never hesitate and don't look other drivers in the eyes. That's really all he needs to know.

Half the fun is never hesitating and looking other drivers in the eyes.

:rice:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yes, I was loving with you.

Landrobot posted:

We are aware of how OTP people are scared of ITP Atlanta, due to our continuous 'Death Race 3000' in the city.
We live in god's country.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Webbeh posted:

Half the fun is never hesitating and looking other drivers in the eyes.

:rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs0SfG_Dijs

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
true story atlanta-driving-talk : I was getting ready to turn onto one of the main egress points of the wholefoods ponce shopping strip. saw a cr-v barreling down from like literally 250 yards away, figured I was fine, made my turn.

as soon as I started turning, from 200 yards, this loving jackass lays on his horn. as he barrels down, not slowing at all. I of course notice him and kind of stop in the middle of the road, before determining I still have plenty of time and room, and continue to turn. dude loving speeds up, and then screeches to a halt right next to my car and is just loving cursing his head off looking me directly in the eye - still laying on his horn the whole time.

I just shook my head at him deadpan and started to get out of my car and he sped off. D.C. plates.

jesus christ assholes

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Whew, you almost had to unsheathe your hanzo steel there. Close call...FOR HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted: