Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im actually posted up in a hide somewhere in red square. gonna drive a stake thru ol vlads heart, if you catch my drift

genderstomper58 posted:

the president is only one guy man

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

genderstomper58 posted:

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

genderstomper58 posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whip quit loving with HDI

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

orange juche posted:

Whip quit loving with HDI

The rules of sniper month are the rules. Such is the luck of the draw.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The rules of sniper month are the rules. Such is the luck of the draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_gIxTitMM

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Intel5 posted:

Don't we have our own batch of spooks who specialize in doing shady poo poo in other countries back yards?

Can anyone take a stab at what we might do, even just to piss in their cheerios?

I thought it was them who masterminded the whole Maidan thing that got us in this mess? :v:

Honestly the golden cheerio bowl that is Ukraine is already running over, and we are waiting for whether Putin intends to take a bite. Eastern Ukraine is not quite as solidly pro-anschluss as Crimea, and other parts even less so. Taking it over will mean a lot of possible dissent and resistance, if Maidan is any indicator.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Since that chick is in Maricopa County, I'm gonna go ahead and assume she's having an other-than-good time in jail.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

genderstomper58 posted:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since that chick is in Maricopa County, I'm gonna go ahead and assume she's having an other-than-good time in jail.
It's not really female :ssh:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I'm sure that "I'm trans" is a fairly popular way to introduce yourself in prison.

If you could avoid getting the poo poo beat out of you and have a really scary dude for a boyfriend, or be some kind of avenging transsexual black widow.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The correction in the article is pretty funny, I guess even horse fuckers deserve Their Preferred Pronouns :patriot:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

genderstomper58 posted:

The correction in the article is pretty funny, I guess even horse fuckers deserve Their Preferred Pronouns :patriot:

well it is gawker

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Police station in Odessa stormed, pro-russian protesters demand their peers are freed. Putin endgame; Black sea as Russian lake.

E; looks like a bunch of jailed pro-russians have been freed/broken out.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 4, 2014

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Courthouse posted:

Police station in Odessa stormed, pro-russian protesters demand their peers are freed. Putin endgame; Black sea as Russian lake.

E; looks like a bunch of jailed pro-russians have been freed/broken out.

BUT WHATS THE CONNECTION TO MH370?! :beck:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

BUT WHATS THE CONNECTION TO MH370?! :beck:
:munch:
I really need to see what glenn beck thinks of that plane going down, also the Ukraine situation.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

orange juche posted:

:munch:
I really need to see what glenn beck thinks of that plane going down, also the Ukraine situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something very similar to the RT spin. Clearly Obama's got his Muslim Nazis at work in Ukraine! :beck:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Jonad posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something very similar to the RT spin. Clearly Obama's got his Gay Muslim Nazis at work in Ukraine! :beck:

FTFY

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

reuters posted:

The total cost of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Pentagon's costliest weapons program, is now seen at $1.42 trillion, down about 6 percent from $1.50 trillion, including research, development, procurement and operations through 2065.

O_o

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/17/us-lockheed-fighter-idUSBREA3G27K20140417

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

So after this one they won't be able to afford a new one for a half century, is what they're saying?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
How old is oldest plane still in service?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
No idea. But the U-2, B-52, and trainer jets are pretty old.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Stygian posted:

I don't know but the F-15 for example is already 40 years old (entered service in 1974), so the idea of a plane lasting till 2065 is totally reasonable, especially when you consider the development time and relative expense seems to increase with each new generation.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Ukranian forces have retaken the tv tower in Slojansk and separatists are retreating towards the east-central parts of the town. Interior ministry is tight lipped about losses, but confirms a unit was ambushed by "militia" armed with heavy weaponry. Loyalist demonstrations in Odessa after last days storming of the police house.

Perhaps Kiev can wrangle itself out of this?

Jarmak posted:

especially when you consider the development time and relative expense seems to increase with each new generation.

Unless Gripen :eng101:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
That's an old joke - that eventually we'll only be able to afford one plane, the Air Force gets it Monday/Wednesday/Friday, the Navy gets it Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and the Marine Corps gets it on Sunday if they've eaten their vegetables

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I've been saying this for years. Good luck maintaining air superiority in "The Big One" in the '50s with the 100 mission-ready Raptors and a handful of 80 year old F-15s. GG Gates, you shortsighted fuckwit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

Unless Gripen :eng101:

The new Gripen gives you F-16 performance for F-15 price. If it came in cheaper, I'm convinced it'd be eating F-35 sales.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004
First KC-135s were delivered in 1957. They'll be in service till 2040.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Godholio posted:

The new Gripen gives you F-16 performance for F-15 price. If it came in cheaper, I'm convinced it'd be eating F-35 sales.

They've apparently halved the production and development cost since the last generation of Gripens. Mostly because most the RnD costs have already been recouped with the A/B/C/D generations, and a lot of the parts and software is already being made by SAAB for Boeing and Dassault. And the maintenance costs are still 40% lower than the F-16.
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140317/DEFREG01/303170022/Saab-Drives-Down-Gripen-Cost-Amid-Export-Push

There's some serious efficiencies and possibly human sacrifice going on in Trollhättan. I wouldn't be surprised if they could snag a few more customers from the F-35 camp, what with the world economy and all. But there is usually more to these kinds of deals than just buying a plane.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
Or you could just load up a bunch of cheap drones with air to air missiles and call it a day...

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

DAS Super! posted:

Or you could just load up a bunch of cheap drones with air to air missiles and call it a day...

I have an uneducated suspicion a drone wouldn't last particularly long at this stage against a competent pilot/anti air ground support.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

The Stygian posted:

I have an uneducated suspicion a drone wouldn't last particularly long at this stage against a competent pilot/anti air ground support.

True today or not, I certainly wouldn't count on that in the 2050 timeframe.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would, I'm pretty sure nations with a modern military have no reason to fear drones because poo poo like proper AAA, SAMs and Signal Counter-Intel is going to stay ahead of the drone fleet unless we come up with some seriously fancy AI to fly them when the control signal is being jammed to poo poo. Drones are the Western equivalent to suicide bombers. They aren't good for much other than targeting very vulnerable soft targets you don't want to risk your own assets to neutralize and putting a strong fear in a dissimilarly equipped enemy force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think that's about the time we'll start seeing tests along those lines. I seriously doubt it'll be a mature technology that soon.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Stygian posted:

It depends on if we're talking airframes or overall design. For example, the U-2 was designed in the '50s but all the airframes currently still in service were all physically built in the '80s (and have been upgraded continuously since being built). Same applies for the C-130 (designed in the '50s but new airframes are rolling off the production line as we speak and the fleet as a whole is pretty young). The oldest overall airframe in military service would probably be either the KC-135 (ones still in service physically built in the early to mid '60s) or B-52Hs (all physically built in the early '60s), so a little over 50 years old.

Of course, you also have to take into account the stress placed on the airframe and number of hours it's actually flown...for example, many of those KC-135s have a (relatively) young airframe by virtue of their spending much of their early years sitting ground alert at SAC bases. Contrast that with the F-15C fleet, where despite "only" being 30-35 years old we are literally flying the wings off them.

Godholio posted:

I've been saying this for years. Good luck maintaining air superiority in "The Big One" in the '50s with the 100 mission-ready Raptors and a handful of 80 year old F-15s. GG Gates, you shortsighted fuckwit.

Yup. Reading his memoirs, I get it, he was pissed off at the lack of support from the bureaucracy for troops in the field, who were dying (in some many cases unnecessarily) every day due in part to decisions (or a lack thereof) from the entrenched bureaucracy and by his own admission he was emotionally too close (I can't say I wouldn't have done the same in his situation). But dude, if you're going to focus on the today that's why you appoint someone you trust to keep an eye on the other stuff down the road, as opposed to going completely off the rails and making half-cocked decisions based on LockMart talking points as opposed to listening to the people who actually know what the gently caress they're talking about with this poo poo.

But it's okay, the export-level LO 4xAMRAAM carrying sort of supercruising F-35 will make a great air superiority platform, take that to the bank.

DAS Super! posted:

That's not how that works.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Any unmanned (whether remotely piloted or truly autonomous) aircraft capable of actual air to air combat certainly won't be cheap.

People assume that any drone is automatically cheap just because Preds are, forgetting that a Pred is just a glorified R/C plane made from plastic and balsa wood powered by a snowmobile engine with a camera strapped to it. A Global Chicken costs almost as much as a Triple 7 (which incidentally is more than an F-35...for now).

And yeah, I am extremely skeptical of the ability to deliver mature autonomous (which is what it would almost certainly have to be) air to air capability by the 2050 timeframe.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
It all depends entirely on what you want a drone to do. Since we can presume the signal jamming blanket of any competent foe is going to be hot and heavy it's essentially all up to how good you can make the AI and sensors in the next few decades. For dogfighting and poo poo that's probably pretty far off.

But for stuff like taking out radar guided AA, or swarming ships, I'd expect it's not too far off. For 2050 we are more likely to see hybrid fleets, there's plenty of poo poo a glorified RC plane with rudimentary target acquisition would be great for.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

It depends on if we're talking airframes or overall design. For example, the U-2 was designed in the '50s but all the airframes currently still in service were all physically built in the '80s (and have been upgraded continuously since being built). Same applies for the C-130 (designed in the '50s but new airframes are rolling off the production line as we speak and the fleet as a whole is pretty young). The oldest overall airframe in military service would probably be either the KC-135 (ones still in service physically built in the early to mid '60s) or B-52Hs (all physically built in the early '60s), so a little over 50 years old.

B-52s are the oldest. Entered service in '55. A few tails from the mid-to-late 50s that were converted to H models are still floating around.

U-2s entered in '55. A few of the '68 models are still active.

KC-135s entered in '57. We still fly those tails from that year on the reg.

e: Forgot about the -130. There's probably an E/H hanging out in the Guard from the late 50's. But I don't care about those.

TheOtherGypsy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 5, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Keep in mind UCLASS was supposed to be an autonomous penetration strike craft (it seems to be getting scaled back) and nuclear penetration strike NGB has been talked about at least having an autonomous option. Those would both be for operation in the 2050 frame. Ground attack in general and penetrating strike in particular are much more challenging control problems than air-air.

And no, I don't expect them to be cheap at all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't understand "optionally manned." If you can build an aircraft that can perform the required mission, without a man onboard, why go through the (enormous) engineering expense and (huge) weight penalties associated with a cockpit and life support systems?

Conversely, if you don't have enough confidence in the autonomous ability of the aircraft, why bother with it in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I suspect it's something along the lines of "We can send a manned bomber on a nuclear deterrent mission and know that there are humans aboard to turn it around, or we can use the same airframe as a robot conventional bomb truck and have the endurance limited mainly by inflight refueling." The former is more a political requirement than anything technical, the latter is perhaps last-war-itis / even NGB getting infected by the idea that nothing gets DoD funding unless it's specifically tailored for war in THE SANDBOX.

• Locked thread