Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

JT Smiley posted:

Also, if the Super Megaforce keys are just power ups why doesn't Silver have a Megaforce counterpart?

Because Plot Hole.
Also Saban, probably don't want to spend extra money to make a Megaforce Silver.

Which of course leads to the goofiness of the Legend War where the Megaforce rangers go out in non-Pirate suits with Silver in his normal suit which is a Pirate suit.

They should've just "destroyed" the Megaforce powers, if they're weaker than the Super Mega Mode they have no reason to use them, not even as a Legendary mode unless that makes them stronger or something, which begs the question of why they even do such a redundant thing as going into Regular Megaforce, then going to Super Mega Mode, and then using potentially using Legendary to go back to the loving Megaforce suits. Making them somehow lose their original Megaforce powers a la the loss of the original MMPR power source and then giving them the Pirate suits would've cleared this issue up completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I could understand keeping the Megaforce suits IF they used still used footage from Goseiger. But the way it's presented now is just really awkward and cumbersome.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point I'm very certain that they must be having a ridiculous amount of behind the scenes production issues, because that's the only way I could see them having this many weird problems with Super Megaforce(too many of them to blame just on budget issues or contract issues with Nickelodeon or even on higher ups not caring about the show)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

drrockso20 posted:

At this point I'm very certain that they must be having a ridiculous amount of behind the scenes production issues, because that's the only way I could see them having this many weird problems with Super Megaforce(too many of them to blame just on budget issues or contract issues with Nickelodeon or even on higher ups not caring about the show)

Wouldn't be surprising, considering thats pretty much how it was the last time they tried something like this (waaaay back in the MMPR days). I think a good chunk of it likely revolves around the fact that this season, even if Saban hadn't only taken back the franchise relatively recently, involves way more additional work in terms of stunt coordination, contacting additional actors, and just generally getting resources either shipped over from Japan or recreated on the PR side of things. They went into Megaforce not having their own version of the big battle ready, and as a result they chose to not only use the Japanese footage, with all the additional teams, but also delay having to actually do anything with regards to it for as long as they outright could. Then, it appears they tried to do as much of Super Megaforce as they could without outright needing too many past rangers that weren't within easy reach, before cramming a bunch of them together right at the tail end of production within a two day timespan. Between that and the various stock footage oddities, if I had to guess, its probably a combination of people trying to keep the budget under control versus those trying to do what they can to actually make something resembling an anniversary season.

In another way its like a season/half-season long version of the issues surrounding Forever Red. The actual production team wanted to go all out in a total celebration of the franchise, with past actors, past bad guys, 100% original footage, even including a battle where the megazords could all turn up to duke it out with Serpentera.
Unfortunately, they ran out of money and since Disney wasn't coughing up anymore (since after all it wouldn't exactly be advertising anything that they'd be profiting from), they then turned to Bandai to get the additional financing they needed. Which unfortunately meant that whole 'awesome megazord battle' part had to be axed and replaced with... tiny CGI serpentera versus a motorcycle, since that was the new toy Bandai wanted. In today's case, its sentai teams too awkward to work around and trying to squeeze what profit they likely can from the Megaforce toys by having them still be technically relevant, to offset original fight footage and the like.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I was expecting Robo Knight to give Orion his 6th ranger powers. No chance of anything making sense again.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...So I just checked my twitter feed, and apologies for being unfamiliar in this regard, but are summer hiatuses... normal, for the franchise? Like were they a thing before Saban took over again?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a Nick thing. They love these huge long breaks out of nowhere for some reason. I don't know who's worse them or Cartoon Network.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

JT Smiley posted:

It's a Nick thing. They love these huge long breaks out of nowhere for some reason. I don't know who's worse them or Cartoon Network.

Nickelodeon is a hell of a lot worse about this than Cartoon Network, hell their 20 episodes a year for any show that isn't a sitcom policy is purposely made for this, hell if I recall properly both FOP and Spongebob have episodes made back in 2010 that still haven't aired

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The second part of Silver Lining was actually kind of good, even if I think the mystery of the Sixth Ranger modes might not even be touched on, even though we don't even know the name of his morpher, which has been my burning curiosity since this season has started.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Astro Nut posted:

...So I just checked my twitter feed, and apologies for being unfamiliar in this regard, but are summer hiatuses... normal, for the franchise? Like were they a thing before Saban took over again?

Yes actually. According to Wikipedia at least, Zeo started in April-May, went on hiatus and started back up for September-November. The craziest one is season two starting with a three parter in Late July/Early August (in prime time!) and episode four airing a month later.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

The second part of Silver Lining was actually kind of good, even if I think the mystery of the Sixth Ranger modes might not even be touched on, even though we don't even know the name of his morpher, which has been my burning curiosity since this season has started.

Orion's backstory pretty much confirms that these things have half existed for at least close to half a year by this point (though one can assume a few months maybe have passed since the initial attack on Earth). On the one hand, the mystery actually seemed kinda effective, certainly had more of an air of mystique around the whole thing, but on the other hand, I don't trust Saban yet to think of an explanation better than 'there's a simple reason for that'.

The middle part of the episode, with the rangers goofing off and getting Orion acquainted with Earth was pretty fun, and yet again, more bits in which the characters got to be characters.

The fight was... pretty throwaway, but its almost entirely sentai footage, so hard to say anything on it that wouldn't have applied to Gokaiger. The only thing that wasn't was the bit where they give Orion the keys to the Q-Rex, but that just has its own problems given that the series doesn't inherently have the 'ultimate powers' thing, so why the hell the Q-Rex was prepped and ready is a bit more murky. Will give them slight props for the footage editing to cut out the Ohranger gag (since the whole setup is pretty much reversed from the sentai) and just make it Orion being a bit shorthanded till he's given the key.

Otherwise though, good episode, pretty sure this is as close as I've seen power rangers come to depicting outright genocide without saying the word. Which, you know, kids show - pretty dark. Perhaps an indication they're moving on from Samurai's 'act as if you're talking down to children' mindset?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, if they keep this level of quality, and if Lynn's back for Dino Charge for good, Super Megaforce can definetly be salvaged, instead of being a wet fart of a anniversary

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Astro Nut posted:

Will give them slight props for the footage editing to cut out the Ohranger gag (since the whole setup is pretty much reversed from the sentai) and just make it Orion being a bit shorthanded till he's given the key.

This makes me wonder if they're going to continue to cut out those kind of gags (like when Gai said to use the ninja ones and he transformed into Shurikenger and the rest of the team transformed into Kakuranger) or if they'll flip them around so it's "Orion isn't familiar with the Power Rangers and sometimes uses the 'wrong' keys."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

This makes me wonder if they're going to continue to cut out those kind of gags (like when Gai said to use the ninja ones and he transformed into Shurikenger and the rest of the team transformed into Kakuranger) or if they'll flip them around so it's "Orion isn't familiar with the Power Rangers and sometimes uses the 'wrong' keys."

That specific one might not work since the Alien rangers never really got any indication that they were Ninjas beyond how they look. Dinosaurs (Zyu vs Abra) or Space (Mega vs Kaku vs Deka) or "Japan" (Hurri vs Samurai) would work though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That specific one might not work since the Alien rangers never really got any indication that they were Ninjas beyond how they look. Dinosaurs (Zyu vs Abra) or Space (Mega vs Kaku vs Deka) or "Japan" (Hurri vs Samurai) would work though.

Whilst I imagine it would involve some original footage, I'd love to see Orion get stumped when the team says something like unleashing their inner animal spirit (for Jungle Fury), and he just looks at all the various animal designs on teams.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Whilst I imagine it would involve some original footage, I'd love to see Orion get stumped when the team says something like unleashing their inner animal spirit (for Jungle Fury), and he just looks at all the various animal designs on teams.

Forgot about that possibility and there are 2 (3 if Lost Galaxy counts) that would fit

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Orion being confused over powers could be milked for some good character development/continuity nods, especially when we get the Ranger Operator Keys.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Forgot about that possibility and there are 2 (3 if Lost Galaxy counts) that would fit

More broadly, counting all the designs that use animals in some form or another...
MMPR, Lost Galaxy, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Dinothunder, Mystic Force (alright, very broadly here), and Jungle Fury. Discounting Megaforce because the others start with it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Astro Nut posted:

Bat/Elephant/Shark combo ranger

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Orion becoming the Sprit rangers would be super cool

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm almost positive he'll become the Titanium Ranger at some point given that it's the only completely American Ranger.

So thinking about it I think they're going to break with what Gokaiger did and have Orion only be able to transform into sixth Rangers. The main team could do it just fine in Gokaiger but the fact that they haven't done it yet (and the fact that they cut out scenes where they transformed into sixth Rangers) indicates that they're going to go with this setup.

But what's more interesting to me is how they're going to do group transformations. As was pointed out, Orion doesn't have a Megaforce counterpart, and with the exception of the "Noah the swordsman" episode, they have been pretty consistent about going to Megaforce first, then Super Mega. Does this mean Orion will stand there like an idiot until the others have finished morphing into the Megaforce suits, then transform to Silver when they go Super Mega?

Also looking forward to seeing if they adapt the Go-On Wings key thing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also looking forward to seeing if they adapt the Go-On Wings key thing.

That's probably gonna get cut. I honestly can't see any male rangers gender bending at all on this show, even though the girls have done it once.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

That's probably gonna get cut. I honestly can't see any male rangers gender bending at all on this show, even though the girls have done it once.

Didn't they do an all pink combination at some point?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

Didn't they do an all pink combination at some point?

In Gokaiger there was an all-pink transformation in one of the movies. The Gavan crossover, I think.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And Marvelous was Pteraranger, aw yeah.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I was a huge PR fan when I was a kid and decided to give Sentai a shot a few months back for nostalgia's sake. Zyuranger was the obvious first choice and I was genuinely surprised at how much better a show it was than MMPR. The plot moves along at a much more steady pace and there is a real sense of escalation between the rangers and Bandora's gang. I felt like Zyuranger also did a much better job of actually making viewers feel like the team was in danger or could actually lose (even though we all know they won't). And of course, Burai has a far more interesting arc than Tommy.

After I finished that, I moved on to Dairanger, and was pretty pumped because I've generally heard it is a better show than Zyu...but holy hell does it start off slow. It actually struck me as much more goofy than Zyuranger and I was nearly ready to give up on it until the Kibaranger arc. I'm about halfway through the series and it has gotten much better over the last 6 or 8 episodes, but I really had my doubts for a while. I think my nostalgia itch may be satisfied after I finish Dairanger, but do you guys have any other recommendations? I've been kicking around the idea of plowing through Jetman as well, as it seems to be the most well-regarded season of all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Watching Dairanger, eh? I hope you like Daigo screaming "kujaku" repeatedly every five episodes or so.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I was a huge PR fan when I was a kid and decided to give Sentai a shot a few months back for nostalgia's sake. Zyuranger was the obvious first choice and I was genuinely surprised at how much better a show it was than MMPR. The plot moves along at a much more steady pace and there is a real sense of escalation between the rangers and Bandora's gang. I felt like Zyuranger also did a much better job of actually making viewers feel like the team was in danger or could actually lose (even though we all know they won't). And of course, Burai has a far more interesting arc than Tommy.

After I finished that, I moved on to Dairanger, and was pretty pumped because I've generally heard it is a better show than Zyu...but holy hell does it start off slow. It actually struck me as much more goofy than Zyuranger and I was nearly ready to give up on it until the Kibaranger arc. I'm about halfway through the series and it has gotten much better over the last 6 or 8 episodes, but I really had my doubts for a while. I think my nostalgia itch may be satisfied after I finish Dairanger, but do you guys have any other recommendations? I've been kicking around the idea of plowing through Jetman as well, as it seems to be the most well-regarded season of all.

I started on Sentai basically like you did, wanting to check out the source for MMPR. I even watched Dairanger too out of curiosity. As for recommendations, definitely check out Gokaiger and Shinkenger. They're both really awesome series. The only other one I've seen is Kakuranger - skip it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd recommend Boukenger and Gokaiger. The former because it's where I started and as the anniversary series it is, it feels like a nice cross-section without being too gimmicky. Gokaiger because I've heard good things and it seems to be almost the opposite, a buffet platter of all the prior shows IS the gimmick.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Dango Bango posted:

I started on Sentai basically like you did, wanting to check out the source for MMPR. I even watched Dairanger too out of curiosity. As for recommendations, definitely check out Gokaiger and Shinkenger. They're both really awesome series. The only other one I've seen is Kakuranger - skip it.

Nonsense. Kakuranger is awesome -- you just have to know what to expect. It's total insane cat drugs.

My list of must watches: Kyoryuger, Dairanger, Jetman, Shinkenger and Gokaiger. Lots of people will say that Go-busters is awesome, too, but I had trouble getting into it. Not knocking it, just not my thing. Kakuranger is like a graduate-level course in Japan Is Weird.

edit: Oh, and once you've gotten a good taste of the sentai formula it's time to watch the Go-Busters V. Go-Busters movie because it's ridiculous and turns that season on its head.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Yeah, I'd go with Jetman before going with anything more modern.

If you're watching with English subs, you might be able to start Kakuranger after Jetman. Kakuranger subs are almost done.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dango Bango posted:

Go-Busters is great as well.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Go-Busters was really amazing. The suits were cool, the characters were great, and if you don't love Jin and J, you have no soul whatsoever.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Go-Busters was really amazing. The suits were cool, the characters were great, and if you don't love Jin and J, you have no soul whatsoever.

Truth. I actually went back and watched Magiranger later just to see Jin's actor again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I absolutely love when old actors return as new people. It's my favourite weird touch in recent Sentai, like when both of KyouryuuGreen's parents turned out to be actors from Dynaman (and their character names were even references to that), or GekiChopper being unrecognizable in Toqger a week or two ago (but still working for SCRTC).

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
And DekaYellow as KyoryuBlue's sister. You can never have enough Ayumi Kinoshita.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...So, Power Rangers may be moving to South Africa:

http://www.bizapedia.com/de/POWER-RANGERS-PRODUCTIONS-SOUTH-AFRICA-LLC.html

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

toomanyninjas posted:

And DekaYellow as KyoryuBlue's sister. You can never have enough Ayumi Kinoshita.

Thinking about it, Kyouryuuger was oddly packed with returning Sentai actors. On top of all those other guys, Tessai was BoukenSilver, and Ian's friend Shiro was Go-On Black. That's way above average.

Apparently Conductor from Toqger was in Goranger as a child :v:

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Watching Dairanger, eh? I hope you like Daigo screaming "kujaku" repeatedly every five episodes or so.

Yeah, just got done watching him punch his way out of a Gouma monster while screaming "Kujaku!" and crying. I like Daigo and I even like the Kujaku subplot, but man has that thing gotten pretty overblown and intense quickly :emo:

Shouji and Kou are probably my two favorite characters at this point.

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'll definitely give Jetman a shot, and if I'm not all Sentai'ed out by that point, I may move on to Kakuranger, Shinkenger, or Gokaiger. I also have a perverse sense of curiousity about Ohranger...I have fond memories of the early Zeo episodes, they were the last bit of PR that I watched. I've heard Ohranger is garbage though, and it hasn't been fully subbed yet, right?

Your Sledgehammer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, just got done watching him punch his way out of a Gouma monster while screaming "Kujaku!" and crying. I like Daigo and I even like the Kujaku subplot, but man has that thing gotten pretty overblown and intense quickly :emo:

Shouji and Kou are probably my two favorite characters at this point.

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'll definitely give Jetman a shot, and if I'm not all Sentai'ed out by that point, I may move on to Kakuranger, Shinkenger, or Gokaiger. I also have a perverse sense of curiousity about Ohranger...I have fond memories of the early Zeo episodes, they were the last bit of PR that I watched. I've heard Ohranger is garbage though, and it hasn't been fully subbed yet, right?

As far as I know only 5 episodes of Ohranger have been subbed and nobody's picked the series back up since then.